Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,266 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:50 AM

Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) (54083 Views)

Onitsha From First And Second Niger Bridge (photos) / Crash Barrier Stops Danfo From Falling Off The 3rd Mainland Bridge (Photos) / 34-miles Over The Ocean, China Set To Launch Worlds Longest Ocean Bridge(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by lucasalves: 6:24pm On Aug 07, 2020
GallantDuke:

State the reasons why "You lacks" is incorrect.

Any sentence where "you" is the subject automatically following it up with any verb ending with "s" (layman terms) is just plain wrong.
Otherwise you will be seeing strange sentences like..
1) You jumps everyday. (incorrect)
2) You runs to school. (incorrect)
3) You follows wrong logics. (incorrect)

Saddest part of this, is that I probably have to specify these are incorrect sentences.
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by GallantDuke(m): 9:12pm On Aug 07, 2020
lucasalves:

For these reasons..... "You" is a second person pronoun. You don't follow those with verbs ending with "s". Kindly read the resource attached to this post and learn.

In English, the -s is only added to regular verbs in the present tense when the subject of the verb is a third person singular subject. This -s is different from the plural -s. Do not confuse the two. The subject "Lisa and Ronald" is a third person plural subject, so the verb does not get an -s.Aug 2, 2018

https://learnersdictionary.com › Infl...

So, according to your logic. "lacks" is not plural?
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by lucasalves: 9:58pm On Aug 07, 2020
GallantDuke:

Lacks is a plural noun. You used "lacks" (a third person present verb after a second person pronoun "you"wink as a verb. That is simply against the rules. Learn to differentiate between a plural noun and a plural verb. Like I said before, find any sentence on the internet with the words " that you lacks", guaranteed you won't find one.
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by lucasalves: 10:01pm On Aug 07, 2020
GallantDuke:

"You" the subject of your sentence is a second person pronoun and you don't follow those with a third person present verb.
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by GallantDuke(m): 10:46pm On Aug 07, 2020
lucasalves:

Lacks is a plural noun. You used "lacks" (a third person present verb after a second person pronoun "you"wink as a verb. That is simply against the rules. Learn to differentiate between a plural noun and a plural verb. Like I said before, find any sentence on the internet with the words " that you lacks", guaranteed you won't find one.
Here is where "lacks" is used after "you"

Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by lucasalves: 11:36pm On Aug 07, 2020
GallantDuke:

I said find an example where "that you lacks" is used. You keep recycling the same obvious lies. Please provide that now and refer to my previous posting to educate yourself. I obviously stated the reason why you can use the word "lacks" after "you" except if the sentence has the word "of". Still awaiting that screenshot of "that you lacks" next (or you can just take the "L"wink. From a reputable source please. Gosh... the ignorance. smh.
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by lucasalves: 11:51pm On Aug 07, 2020
GallantDuke:
Just so you don't blow up your brain, here is a rule of thumb for you.
"any of" (a large set of people), hence the pluralisation of the verb "lack".
"that you" (a specific second person pronoun), hence the singular verb "lack".
This should be easy enough for even a toddler to comprehend.
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by GallantDuke(m): 9:49am On Aug 08, 2020
lucasalves:

That implies that whenever "YOU" is used as second person pronoun, the verb that should go with it should be in singular form? Then, we ought to say "You is rich " instead of "You are rich" because the auxiliary verb "is" is the singular verb and that is in line with your logic.
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by GallantDuke(m): 10:01am On Aug 08, 2020
lucasalves:

I said find an example where "that you lacks" is used. You keep recycling the same obvious lies. Please provide that now and refer to my previous posting to educate yourself. I obviously stated the reason why you can use the word "lacks" after "you" except if the sentence has the word "of". Still awaiting that screenshot of "that you lacks" next (or you can just take the "L"wink. From a reputable source please. Gosh... the ignorance. smh.
You are just contradicting yourself, you told me earlier on that the verb "lacks" can not be used after the the pronoun "you" and I posted an example. Now, you are telling me that "expect if the sentence has the word "of, the verb "lacks" can not be used. I believed you have seen that the example I posted contains the word "of", so you now decided to put the word "of" as part of the conditions.
Quite funny.
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by GallantDuke(m): 10:22am On Aug 08, 2020
lucasalves:

It will also be nice if you will educate me on the correctness of this comment "This was interesting".
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by GallantDuke(m): 10:24am On Aug 08, 2020
lucasalves:

It will also be nice if you will educate me on the correctness of this comment "This was interesting".
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by lucasalves: 11:39am On Aug 08, 2020
GallantDuke:

How about you come up with the correct one? And before you do, make sure you have done your research because I just can't wait to laugh.
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by lucasalves: 11:42am On Aug 08, 2020
GallantDuke:

You are just contradicting yourself, you told me earlier on that the verb "lacks" can not be used after the the pronoun "you" and I posted an example. Now, you are telling me that "expect if the sentence has the word "of, the verb "lacks" can not be used. I believed you have seen that the example I posted contains the word "of", so you now decided to put the word "of" as part of the conditions.
Quite funny.

What I asked you is simple. Post a sentence from any reputable source that contains the phrase "that you lacks" . This is simple, do it in your next reply or you can just take the "L".
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by lucasalves: 11:54am On Aug 08, 2020
GallantDuke:

You probably should listen to this. If you have the data that is.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DPSJ5DIqK4xE&ved=2ahUKEwjKmcG2uIvrAhWvQEEAHenRA904ChC3AjAAegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw1BjJFHvX91vV8vcAVyhpG3
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by GallantDuke(m): 4:26pm On Aug 08, 2020
lucasalves:

In other words, whenever "You" is used as a specific second person pronoun, the verb that should go with it must be a singular verb. It also implies that it is wrong to say "You are fat" rather we should say "You is fat". This is because "are" is the plural form of the verb "is".
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by GallantDuke(m): 4:31pm On Aug 08, 2020
lucasalves:

How about you come up with the correct one? And before you do, make sure you have done your research because I just can't wait to laugh.
How about "That was interesting" if the action was done in the past or "This is interesting" if the action is still happening or in the present, how about that?

Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by GallantDuke(m): 4:50pm On Aug 08, 2020
lucasalves:

What I asked you is simple. Post a sentence from any reputable source that contains the phrase "that you lacks" . This is simple, do it in your next reply or you can just take the "L".
You initially asked me to post where "lacks" was used after "you". I posted where the Bible said "If any of YOU LACKS wisdom", the next thing you said was that the verb "lacks" was used because of the word "of" which you didn't say before and you used that as an excuse.
You are now requesting that I should post another sentence where "that you lacks" is used, who knows what will be your next excuse.
I want to thank you for your audience and the knowledge you passed across, also I am happy that you improved greatly in your grammatical expressions as I noticed that you wrote in paragraphs lately and I also noticed cohesion in your writeup unlike before. Keep it up and do not relent. I am not sure I will be able to reply your messages anymore.
Thank you sir.
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by lucasalves: 7:01pm On Aug 08, 2020
GallantDuke:

In other words, whenever "You" is used as a specific second person pronoun, the verb that should go with it must be a singular verb. It also implies that it is wrong to say "You are fat" rather we should say "You is fat". This is because "are" is the plural form of the verb "is".

Still waiting for an example where "that you lacks" is used. You can try but you won't distract from the main point. Reply with a screenshot and then I will address all your gibberish.

This was (an action in the past that has ended), hence "This was interesting" because it's no longer.

We are talking about 3rd person present verbs here ("lacks"wink, stop confusing yourself with "singular and plural". Notice the use of the word "pluralisation" (doubt you even know the meaning), different from plural verbs. Present verbs include "s", this doesn't mean they are in the plural form. ( Take note of that last part, that is where you keep confusing yourself).

Funny how you totally think "any of you" and "you" are the same.

Now produce an example with "that you lacks" or like I said take the "L".
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by lucasalves: 7:26pm On Aug 08, 2020
GallantDuke:

How about "That was interesting" if the action was done in the past or "This is interesting" if the action is still happening or in the present, how about that?

Wow, here is a resource for you to know the differences between "this and that". "This was" in the sentence referring to an action that used to be interesting and no longer. Here is a little help from the internet for you.

We use “this” to refer to people, things, situations and experiences that are more close to the speaker or very close in time. “This is paired with single or uncountable nouns. We use “that” to refer to people and things, situations and experiences that are more distant to the speaker, either physically or in time.

https://www.myenglishteacher.eu › t...

Here is another link that will specifically explain why "This was" works in the sentence. Learn to read more.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/this-was-vs-this-is.3541068/&ved=2ahUKEwji1L64nYzrAhUQTcAKHUEfD4wQFjACegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw3t4If_6LzwnV6CUdfhGft0
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by lucasalves: 7:30pm On Aug 08, 2020
GallantDuke:

You initially asked me to post where "lacks" was used after "you". I posted where the Bible said "If any of YOU LACKS wisdom", the next thing you said was that the verb "lacks" was used because of the word "of" which you didn't say before and you used that as an excuse.
You are now requesting that I should post another sentence where "that you lacks" is used, who knows what will be your next excuse.
I want to thank you for your audience and the knowledge you passed across, also I am happy that you improved greatly in your grammatical expressions as I noticed that you wrote in paragraphs lately and I also noticed cohesion in your writeup unlike before. Keep it up and do not relent. I am not sure I will be able to reply your messages anymore.
Thank you sir.

Look you asked me to post where "This was interesting" is used, I did with more than enough examples. I asked you to post where "that you lacks" is used, you posted "any of you lacks" and ran away like a fowl. How are those two things the same.
You even tried to pass off your own sentence as a scenario where "that you lacks" is used instead of producing a decent reference.
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by lucasalves: 7:37pm On Aug 08, 2020
GallantDuke:

I did not even start that sentence with "You lacks understanding" like you claimed. Let me post the screenshot of that comment.

By now I'm pretty sure you know you are dead wrong and probably too arrogant to admit your mistakes and move on like a man (that last word in this case is subjective).

Now let me laugh at you and give you examples based on what you claim is "correct" English.

Saying "it is obvious to me that you lacks" is the same as saying.

1) It is obvious to me that you jumps.
2) It is obvious to me that you sees.
3) It is obvious to me that you reasons.

Those are incorrect sentences in case you think they are.
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by GallantDuke(m): 12:16am On Aug 09, 2020
lucasalves:

Look you asked me to post where "This was interesting" is used, I did with more than enough examples. I asked you to post where "that you lacks" is used, you posted "any of you lacks" and r I van away like a fowl. How are those two things the same.
You even tried to pass off your own sentence as a scenario where "that you lacks" is used instead of producing a decent reference.
The word "lacks" is the plural form of "lack", that is according to Goggle.
I didn't remember saying that "any of you" and "you" are the same. I only posted that quotation when you requested that I should show you an example where "lacks" is used after "you".
Lastly, I didn't say you were wrong when you said "this was interesting", I only requested for elucidation on the correctness of the statement and also gave my own ideas which are correct according to your source.
Thank you for your audience and knowledge you passed across.

Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by lucasalves: 1:31am On Aug 09, 2020
GallantDuke:

The word "lacks" is the plural form of "lack", that is according to Goggle.
I didn't remember saying that "any of you" and "you" are the same. I only posted that quotation when you requested that I should show you an example where "lacks" is used after "you".
Lastly, I didn't say you were wrong when you said "this was interesting", I only requested for elucidation on the correctness of the statement and also gave my own ideas which are correct according to your source.
Thank you for your audience and knowledge you passed across.

First no one is asking you the plural form of "lack" here, the issue at hand is that "that you lacks" isn't grammatically correct.

Well I haven't seen a screenshot (I requested) where "that you lacks" is used. I am just going to assume you know by now you are wrong. Arrogance is a disease.

And a quote from you..."It will also be nice if you will educate me on the correctness of this comment "This was interesting"." Thought a "proud erudite" would know this kind of stuff.

"It will also be nice if you educate me on the correctness of this comment" (There is simply no need for the double use of "will" in this sentence, it is at best superfluous).

Still awaiting "that you lacks" from a reputable source. Peace.
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by lucasalves: 1:47am On Aug 09, 2020
lucasalves:

By now I'm pretty sure you know you are dead wrong and probably too arrogant to admit your mistakes and move on like a man (that last word in this case is subjective).

Now let me laugh at you and give you examples based on what you claim is "correct" English.

Saying "it is obvious to me that you lacks" is the same as saying.

1) It is obvious to me that you jumps.
2) It is obvious to me that you sees.
3) It is obvious to me that you reasons.

Those are incorrect sentences in case you think they are.

Check out these examples to help you on your way to knowledge.

1) It is obvious to me that you jumps. (incorrect)
Now using "any of you"
- It is obvious if any of you jumps. (correct)

2) It is obvious to me that you sees.(incorrect)
Now using "any of you"
- It is obvious if any of you sees. (correct)

3) It is obvious to me that you reasons. (incorrect)
Now using "any of you"
- It is obvious to me if any of you reasons. (correct)

And the Elephant in the room.

- It is obvious to me that you lacks. (incorrect).
Now using "any of you"
- It is obvious to me that if any of you lacks. (correct)

Pretty sure you won't reply to this specific comment as it exposes your flawed logic.
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by GallantDuke(m): 11:54am On Aug 09, 2020
lucasalves:

Check out these examples to help you on your way to knowledge.

1) It is obvious to me that you jumps. (incorrect)
Now using "any of you"
- It is obvious if any of you jumps. (correct)

2) It is obvious to me that you sees.(incorrect)
Now using "any of you"
- It is obvious if any of you sees. (correct)

3) It is obvious to me that you reasons. (incorrect)
Now using "any of you"
- It is obvious to me if any of you reasons. (correct)

And the Elephant in the room.

- It is obvious to me that you lacks. (incorrect).
Now using "any of you"
- It is obvious to me that if any of you lacks. (correct)

Pretty sure you won't reply to this specific comment as it exposes your flawed logic.
Thank you for the explanation. I don't think am arrogant like you claimed. In this situation, I still need further education on the differences between that "you" in "any of you" and "you" that made one to go with "lack" and other "lacks".
I am not arguing with you on the correctness of the sentence.
Thank you.
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by GallantDuke(m): 12:18pm On Aug 09, 2020
lucasalves:

First no one is asking you the plural form of "lack" here, the issue at hand is that "that you lacks" isn't grammatically correct.

Well I haven't seen a screenshot (I requested) where "that you lacks" is used. I am just going to assume you know by now you are wrong. Arrogance is a disease.

And a quote from you..."It will also be nice if you will educate me on the correctness of this comment "This was interesting"." Thought a "proud erudite" would know this kind of stuff.

"It will also be nice if you educate me on the correctness of this comment" (There is simply no need for the double use of "will" in this sentence, it is at best superfluous).

Still awaiting "that you lacks" from a reputable source. Peace.
Nothing is wrong with the statement, both "it will be nice if you will educate me on the correctness of this comment" and "it will be nice if you educate me on the correctness of this comment" are both correct.
The issue of "you lacks", maybe I was wrong, maybe.
You once said it is right to say "demand and quality IS the same. I think you should elucidate on the choice of "is" as the appropriate verb.
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by lucasalves: 2:31pm On Aug 09, 2020
GallantDuke:

Thank you for the explanation. I don't think am arrogant like you claimed. In this situation, I still need further education on the differences between that "you" in "any of you" and "you" that made one to go with "lack" and other "lacks".
I am not arguing with you on the correctness of the sentence.
Thank you.

Welcome, took longer than it should but at least now you know "that you lacks" is grammatically wrong.
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by GallantDuke(m): 9:57am On Aug 10, 2020
lucasalves:

Welcome, took longer than it should but at least now you know "that you lacks" is grammatically wrong.
Good morning, I made a request yesterday which you didn't respond to.
I requested or pleaded that you should elucidate on the choice of the verb "is" as the appropriate verb in the statement below.
"demand and quality is the same".
Thank you.
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by lucasalves: 10:23am On Aug 10, 2020
GallantDuke:

Good morning, I made a request yesterday which you didn't respond to.
I requested or pleaded that you should elucidate on the choice of the verb "is" as the appropriate verb in the statement below.
"demand and quality is the same".
Thank you.

Man everyone can make the occasional mistake, I use my phone for typing a lot of research work and usually I follow up the word "quality" with "is" which as you know Samsung keyboard stores frequently used words in the order they are used.
I have made more than one comment following "demand and quality" with are.

I am not ignorant or arrogant enough to defend a grammatically incorrect sentence for four days as you did with "that you lacks". I know you are desperately trying to find something to latch on to but the difference between us is as clear as day and night.

You defended "that you lacks" as a correct statement for more than four days and the moment you were exposed you quickly scrolled through previous comments to find petty mistakes. Take your "L" like a man, you got egg on your face.

Note: If it was really down to fine margins, I would say "am is not used in placed of I am or I'm".

Here is a source from Google.
I'm is the contraction of “I am”, whereas am is simply the verb with no pronoun before it. ... Proper English requires the pronoun before the verb. Using the contraction (I'm) is the less formal (but still correct) way to say it.
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by GallantDuke(m): 10:35am On Aug 10, 2020
lucasalves:

Man everyone can make the occasional mistake, I use my phone for typing a lot of research work and usually I follow up the word "quality" with "is" which as you know Samsung keyboard stores frequently used words in the order they are used.
I have made more than one comment following "demand and quality" with are.

I am not ignorant or arrogant enough to defend a grammatically incorrect sentence for four days as you did with "that you lacks". I know you are desperately trying to find something to latch on to but the difference between us is as clear as day and night.

You defended "that you lacks" as a correct statement for more than four days and the moment you were exposed you quickly scrolled through previous comments to find petty mistakes. Take your "L" like a man, you got egg on your face.

Note: If it was really down to fine margins, I would say "am is not used in placed of I am or I'm".

Here is a source from Google.
I'm is the contraction of “I am”, whereas am is simply the verb with no pronoun before it. ... Proper English requires the pronoun before the verb. Using the contraction (I'm) is the less formal (but still correct) way to say it.
You defended the verb "is" as the appropriate verb sir although not for a long period of time like I did, maybe you have forgotten. Taking about scrolling through our previous comments, I didn't do anything like that, I just asked so as to know if truly the verb "is" is the right verb to use and not to ridicule you.
I think it is high time you stopped seeing my comments as an avenue to ridicule you. I debated for so long with you on the issue of "you lacks" so that you could come up with concrete points, so that whenever I am debating anywhere, l will have facts to buttress my point.
I think I debates with the view to improving my knowledge and not to ridicule anybody. Like I said before, you actually defended "is" but unlike I, you defended it for a short period of time. I think we are striving for perfection of the language, even the native speakers do make mistakes while speaking.

Thank you.
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by lucasalves: 10:50am On Aug 10, 2020
GallantDuke:

You defended the verb "is" as the appropriate verb sir although not for a long period of time like I did, maybe you have forgotten. Taking about scrolling through our previous comments, I didn't do anything like that, I just asked so as to know if truly the verb "is" is the right verb to use and not to ridicule you.
Thank you..

I defended the use of "is" after words like demand and quality when you seemed to suggest only "are" could follow those words. I wasn't defending my own use of "is" after comparing the two things.

"Talking".... Fine margins, fine margins.
Re: Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) by GallantDuke(m): 10:59am On Aug 10, 2020
lucasalves:

I defended the use of "is" after words like demand and quality when you seemed to suggest only "are" could follow those words. I wasn't defending my own use of "is" after comparing the two things.

"Talking".... Fine margins, fine margins.

You actually did sir, maybe you have forgotten.
Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How The Travel Ban Will Affect Nigerians / Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway,scores Of Passengers Feared Dead.graphic Pics / Agbor, Delta Road: Is This The Longest Traffic Jam In Nigeria? (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.