Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,105 members, 7,953,370 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:07 PM

Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring (38474 Views)

UBA Publishes Details Of Forex Defaulters / Shoprite Ilorin Locks Doors As Crowd Stormed Their Store / Shoprite Ilorin Shut Down After Massive Crowd Stormed Their Store (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by Sirwallace(m): 10:27pm On Aug 03, 2020
ProfAmaben:
ShopRite shouldn't go anywhere. If you give Nigerians this business opportunity, they would wanna become billionaires overnight. Truth be told, ShopRite is cheaper than our so-called market where you have to bargain for hours to buy commodities at inflated prices.

Let's use the present Rice scenario in Nigeria, when we were importing high quality stone free rice, we bought mudu at 600 despite being imported and of high quality. Fast forward today, mudu is 800 with all the stones minus the importation and custom duty. My question is, how can one produce something and it's more expensive than when you were importing?

Why this long epistle? Nigerians are opportunists that love taking advantage of situations at the detriment of their countryman. We see wickedness as being smart, fuel adds a naira and transportation price is hiked. ShopRite, kindly stay, same with DStv.

You said it all. Greed is the surname of most Nigerians. And the govt that was suppose to implement and regulate price is enjoying and benefitting from the hardship cause by the greedy one.

How do you explain an eyesore called the Agberos in Lagos?
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by SmartPolician: 10:42pm On Aug 03, 2020
sonnie10:
When shoprite started, we all knew that my Aba, Onitsha and Alaba brothers would outsmart them in the business.

Your brain is full of dust

1 Like

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by samwash(m): 12:44am On Aug 04, 2020
During the xenophobic attacks, some of you invaded shoprite & ask them to leave Nigeria.
While then crying that they should stay now when they have made up their mind to leave.
Hypocrite nigerians.
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by Cousin9999: 1:36am On Aug 04, 2020
engela7:
How does this alleviate the sufferings of the common man on the street?

Business opportunity.

When ShopRite leaves, the peddlers, fishermen, farmers, traders, restaurants, midsize businesses, small businesses, and etc. will do better.

Also, the people benefit by getting necessary goods at more affordable prices, and local suppliers get more action which stimulates the economy.
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by Hopebringer: 4:46am On Aug 04, 2020
tillaman:
Na who talk say make I drink this night ehn, the article just dey double for my eye make person send the summary to my mail and to the guy above me Na the booze make you take my spot!!

You sound very hungry , I mean that type of hunger that wracks the brain
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by magicminister: 5:35am On Aug 04, 2020
ProfAmaben:
ShopRite shouldn't go anywhere. If you give Nigerians this business opportunity, they would wanna become billionaires overnight. Truth be told, ShopRite is cheaper than our so-called market where you have to bargain for hours to buy commodities at inflated prices.

Let's use the present Rice scenario in Nigeria, when we were importing high quality stone free rice, we bought mudu at 600 despite being imported and of high quality. Fast forward today, mudu is 800 with all the stones minus the importation and custom duty. My question is, how can one produce something and it's more expensive than when you were importing?

Why this long epistle? Nigerians are opportunists that love taking advantage of situations at the detriment of their countryman. We see wickedness as being smart, fuel adds a naira and transportation price is hiked. ShopRite, kindly stay, same with DStv.

In Economics, it’s called “dumping”.
This is when a supplier sells their product at a cost lower than what it will take for the buyer to produce it themselves even though they have the means and the resources.

You have to understand that these foreign suppliers have had decades of efficiency in the rice production business and selling at a ridiculously cheap rate because they over produce and over supply. They can because it’s efficient for them to flood countries like Nigeria.

Our nascent manufacturers cannot profitably compete even if they produce it 100% locally. With time, they’ll attain that level of efficiency but they need an even playing field. That is why we need to stop those foreign products. In this specific case; rice!
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by magicminister: 5:40am On Aug 04, 2020
uruba23:
The South African community in Nigeria has been a close kitted one, even before COVID 19 gave everyone a good punch most South African companies were already planning exist strategies.My worries is what they see in our economic that we are not seeing or taking note of that might smell doomsday for us. I just hope MTN and Multichoice are not planning same that would be a final nail on the coffin.All I know we need to start taking proactive steps,reduce our external debts and exposure to China Trojan loans.

Nigeria has a population of almost 200 million people.
A lot of companies will see a large potential market but the reality is that most Nigerians simply do not have the purchasing power to make any major foreign direct investment profitable. Also, doing business ethically in Nigeria can be a challenge!

4 Likes

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by sulaak(m): 6:17am On Aug 04, 2020
bunto:
Shoprite operations and revenue started to decline when they transferred Warren, the initial buyer at the start of their business in Nigeria. He actually respected Nigerians. But they probably felt he was 'too nice' to black people and then they transferred him and brought in Pieter.
Such a condescending individual. The final nail on the coffin of their business exploration in Nigeria was bringing in Carl as buyer....

Such a terrible business manager. I don't really think Shoprite came to Nigeria to add value, I think they just wanted to exploit Nigerians but we proved too sharp for them.

Let them go...
Nigerians will do better. They were trying too hard to force low quality SA products down our throat but Nigerians know quality biko grin

Business is about explioting opportunities. Shoprite in SA usually serves black people living in ghettos
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by vickydevoka(m): 6:18am On Aug 04, 2020
ProfAmaben:

The normal round white mudu, didn't know there is a variation of mudu. A mudu of local rice was sold for 800 naira yesterday.
Lol. It varies. Jis mudu na 600# local rice. Na my biz be dat
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by GIFTD: 6:32am On Aug 04, 2020
ProfAmaben:

brotherly poverty did us more harm than good even the so called elites were affected they take advantage more because of unpredictable nature of our economy. The developed world already have a stable economy so that integrity rather than exploitation is key to succesful lasting in the businesses. Thanks
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by tillaman(m): 6:42am On Aug 04, 2020
Hopebringer:

You sound very hungry , I mean that type of hunger that wracks the brain

blow my whistle bro
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by FA13(m): 8:45am On Aug 04, 2020
ProfAmaben:

The bolded is very possible especially in Nigeria where cost of production is staggering compared to countries like China.
If you have been in any production system, you will know.

Your other points are valid though.
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by ProfAmaben(m): 9:29am On Aug 04, 2020
FA13:

The bolded is very possible especially in Nigeria where cost of production is staggering compared to countries like China.
If you have been in any production system, you will know.

Your other points are valid though.

Oga, all my points are pretty valid. I have been in production since 17, started with Avanti stylo Biro/Plastic factory. Wages are pretty small in Nigeria compared to say China or even Vietnam, someone paid a farmer #2000 per week in my presence. I know lots of farmers that were very poor before the ban of rice importation, they've all built houses and married new wives with brand new cars in Ebonyi.

Am I against prosperity? No! Then what am I against? I'm against wickedness. The only thing that makes production quite expensive here is power and many areas are now having at least 6-7 hrs of light daily.

What else makes rice production expensive? Government assists them with loans on a regular basis, investors are building state of the art rice mills to make production cheaper and of high quality, what else? Kindly reply.
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by YemmyKamor: 9:30am On Aug 04, 2020
engela7:
How does this alleviate the sufferings of the common man on the street?

common man on the street should strive hard si that his kids won't be referred to as common kids on the street.
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by ProfAmaben(m): 9:35am On Aug 04, 2020
GIFTD:
brotherly poverty did us more harm than good even the so called elites were affected they take advantage more because of unpredictable nature of our economy. The developed world already have a stable economy so that integrity rather than exploitation is key to succesful lasting in the businesses. Thanks

Nigerians are the ones that create artificial inflation most times. We are the ones that makes our economy unstable. What is making rice expensive if not wickedness? CBN released over $2bn in form of loans and grants to rice farmers. They are busy buying keeps up and down.

The whites are way better than us in reasoning and have good conscience when it comes to fixing prices. Even their government over there regulates prices regularly so that if you are Nigerian minded over there, you won't even carry out your wicked plans there.

Nigerians should change and stop thinking that by buying cars and building houses to intimidate your family members you have become successful. A successful society is one of equity, equality and peace.
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by ProfAmaben(m): 9:35am On Aug 04, 2020
vickydevoka:

Lol. It varies. Jis mudu na 600# local rice. Na my biz be dat

Which area? I'm in Abuja.
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by vickydevoka(m): 9:49am On Aug 04, 2020
ProfAmaben:

Which area? I'm in Abuja.
Jos
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by CodeTemplar: 10:21am On Aug 04, 2020
ProfAmaben:
300 for local, 600 for foreign rice (2019)
800 for local, foreign (Banned) (2020)
Cc:
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by ProfAmaben(m): 10:23am On Aug 04, 2020
vickydevoka:

Jos

Tor, in Jos, rice would be cheaper. Most of my course mates from Unijos (Ujay) are into Rice farming (large scale).

I miss Jos.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by promt4: 11:48am On Aug 04, 2020
omo make we leave this thing for Southy oh, I this Nigerian, them go cripple the binnes.
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by Afokeoghen: 12:02pm On Aug 04, 2020
bigpicture001:
I.believe this story..

Don't.
It's not true.
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by bigpicture001: 12:26pm On Aug 04, 2020
Afokeoghen:

Don't.
It's not true.

Y do u think it's not true..?
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by Nobody: 12:44pm On Aug 04, 2020
magicminister:

A lot of companies will see a large potential market but the reality is that most Nigerians simply do not have the purchasing power to make any major foreign direct investment profitable. Also, doing business ethically in Nigeria can be a challenge!
You are right,purchasing power is dwindling,population on the rise.
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by Afokeoghen: 3:17pm On Aug 04, 2020
bigpicture001:

Y do u think it's not true..?
I believe by now, you would have been able to confirm that it's not true sir.
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by bigpicture001: 3:57pm On Aug 04, 2020
Afokeoghen:

I believe by now, you would have been able to confirm that it's not true sir.

I believe it cuz I know how all this bizness take overs operate.. It's not really clear to the populace what is going on.. But alot of stuffs will happen

1 Like

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by alezzy13: 7:19pm On Aug 04, 2020
LegendHero:
They should make sure the Nigerian bidder win it. It will be better for Shoprite.

Tayo Amusan Persianas group are big players. They own:
—Palms Lagos
—Palms Lekki
—Palms Polo Park, Enugu
—Palms Ibadan
—Palms Ilorin

So they should have the bandwidth to manage Shoprite if need be.

Hmm, Na wa oo. Silent billionaires dey this country oo. It's shocking I'm hearing that name (Amusan Tayo) for the first time.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by alezzy13: 7:22pm On Aug 04, 2020
magicminister:

I truly doubt the issue is with purchasing power. If not mistaken, this is the first year since operation they are posting loss. Moreover notice how crowded almost all thier branches are.
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by LegendHero(m): 8:53pm On Aug 04, 2020
alezzy13:

Hmm, Na wa oo. Silent billionaires dey this country oo. It's shocking I'm hearing that name (Amusan Tayo) for the first time.

Most legit billionaires in Naija no Dey make noise.
Re: Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring by magicminister: 4:56pm On Aug 05, 2020
alezzy13:

I truly doubt the issue is with purchasing power. If not mistaken, this is the first year since operation they are posting loss. Moreover notice how crowded almost all thier branches are.

Nigeria is not a middle class friendly economy.
There are more poor people than middle class and very few ultra rich!
Such a setup is not enough to sustain any major large scale corporation unless that company is providing the very necessities we can't avoid. e.g. telephone.

The middle class are the drivers of most economy and currently, they barely exist in Nigeria.
Our middle class are considered "rich"

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ghanaian Man Storms Bank With Mattress, Pillow & Bedsheet (Video) / Ecrestglobal E-currency Exchange Customer Support / Meet Yusuf Sambo, The Nigerian Engineer Leading Scotland’s 5G Revolution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.