Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,293 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:01 AM

Iker Casillas Retires From Football - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Iker Casillas Retires From Football (18457 Views)

Iker Casillas Was Hacked, He Isn't Gay. / Carles Puyol Reacts As Iker Casillas Comes Out As Gay / Iker Casillas Trolls Jose Mourinho After Manchester United Defeat (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iker Casillas Retires From Football by folarr(m): 1:49pm On Aug 04, 2020

Former Real Madrid and Spain goalkeeper Iker Casillas has retired from football at the age of 39.

Casillas made 725 appearances for Real during a 16-year career at the Bernabeu, winning three Champions League titles and five La Liga crowns.

He also helped Spain win the 2010 World Cup and two successive European Championships in 2008 and 2012.

Casillas joined Porto in 2015 but has not played since suffering a heart attack during training in April 2019.

During his recovery he was given a role on the club's coaching staff in July 2019.

He made 156 appearances for the Portuguese side, winning two Primeira Liga titles and one Portuguese Cup.

Casillas won 167 international caps for Spain between 2000 and 2016. Only former Real team-mate Sergio Ramos has made more appearances for the national side.

Announcing his retirement on Twitter, Casillas said: "The important thing is the path you travel and the people who accompany you, not the destination to which it takes you.

"I think I can say, without hesitation, that it has been the path and the dream destination."

Real Madrid said Casillas, who joined the Spanish giants at the age of nine, was the best goalkeeper in the 118-year history of the club.

"Real Madrid wants to show its appreciation, admiration and love for one of the greatest legends of our club and world football," read a statement on the club's website.

"Iker Casillas belongs to the heart of Real Madrid and will be so forever."

In February, he announced his intention to run for the presidency of the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), before later withdrawing because of the "exceptional social, economic and health situation" the country was suffering during the Covid-19 pandemic.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53652195

11 Likes

Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by Abdulhakeem78(m): 2:13pm On Aug 04, 2020
He made his debut with the first team in 12 September 1999 at the San Mamés and went on to play in 725 official games, winning 19 titles. In addition to those triumphs he also won 1 World Cup and 2 European Championships with the Spain first team.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by obembet(f): 2:33pm On Aug 04, 2020
There's many more in the upcoming years' list , days can also become Sad , on watching our beloved Players retire !

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 04, 2020
Won the IFFHS best goalkeeper award five consecutive times.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by folarr(m): 2:56pm On Aug 04, 2020
Lalasticlala FP, abeg my g
Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by paulolee(m): 3:18pm On Aug 04, 2020
iker was once untouchable both in country and club team and was also thier captain but he made a big mistake of going against the rules and ended on the bad books of mourinho...
iker was busy telling his journalist wife the happenings in the locker room and mourinho was soo pissed off when he found out that iker was the main reason why the media knows too much about what is supposed to remain in the locker room..
he was punished and replaced with diego lopez and that was the breaking point on his career and he got frustrated and left madrid for porto because he was getting less game time for madrid..
congrats iker cassilas, one of spain greatest keeper even if Madrid never treated you the way you deserved...

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by ProfAmaben(m): 3:47pm On Aug 04, 2020
It's better you retire the great San Iker. Watching you play for another team breaks my heart, just like the way my heart was shattered when Gonzalez Raul my Madrid idol played for Schalke 04.
Jose Mourinho really destroyed our legends but it was all good in the end as it set solid foundation for what we are enjoying today.

Hala losblancos, Hala Madrid, Hala LosVikinos.

From a die-hard Madrid fan.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 04, 2020
Legendary goalkeeper

3 Likes

Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by nairavsdollars(f): 3:48pm On Aug 04, 2020
Would have still played if not for health issues

2 Likes

Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by samuel19222(m): 3:48pm On Aug 04, 2020
Hala Madrid!

1 Like

Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by TypeRubbish: 3:48pm On Aug 04, 2020
angry
He is one of history worst goalkeeper.
Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by Bryan06: 3:48pm On Aug 04, 2020
Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by OlawaleBammie: 3:48pm On Aug 04, 2020
Long overdue my goalkeeping idol

I will always remember how U would always go back to touch Ur crossbar whenever Madrid scored a goal.

San Iker Casillas Fernandez.

7 Likes

Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by Queenlovely(f): 3:48pm On Aug 04, 2020
Omoyele Sowore

4 Likes

Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by adioolayi(m): 3:49pm On Aug 04, 2020
You don try....Messi use his eye see something small...That Messi boy no respect elders grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by sylve11: 3:49pm On Aug 04, 2020
One of football's most decorated goal keeper.

We shall miss them because more players are coming to their end playing football. cool

2 Likes

Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by Kris4luv(m): 3:50pm On Aug 04, 2020
Well deserved.....Hala Madrid

1 Like

Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by Kemimarch16(f): 3:50pm On Aug 04, 2020
You have tried go and enjoy your money

2 Likes

Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by nazicartel(m): 3:52pm On Aug 04, 2020
World class Goal keeper.. salutamus...

2 Likes

Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by ojaysam25(m): 3:52pm On Aug 04, 2020
A legend
Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by folarr(m): 3:54pm On Aug 04, 2020
obembet, I see you...

1 Like

Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by janedonez(m): 3:57pm On Aug 04, 2020
Real legend
Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by Gabe427: 3:57pm On Aug 04, 2020
Name a better fvucking keeper who did it all

I'm waiting
Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by Nobody: 3:58pm On Aug 04, 2020
.. Messi suffer this boy well well ooo grin

1 Like

Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by olascoshow(m): 4:00pm On Aug 04, 2020
Three hearty cheers for Casillas
Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by Bigmikedagod(m): 4:05pm On Aug 04, 2020
Happy Retirement Sir, u deserve it
Re: Iker Casillas Retires From Football by stagger: 4:06pm On Aug 04, 2020
He has won it all. Nothing left to prove. Champions League, European Cup, World Cup...wetin remain?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senator Oluremi Tinubu Receives The Super Falcons At The Aso Rock Villa / 50,000 To 500,000 (MY BETTING JOURNEY) Season 2 / John Fashanu Congratulates George Weah, Liberian President-Elect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.