Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,120 members, 7,821,838 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt (10431 Views)

Buhari Returns To Nigeria,to Embark On Three-nation Tour Of Egypt, Saudi Arabia / Now That The Gworo Master Has Decided To Wade Into The Syrian War / Channels TV Addresses Dame Patient As President Of Nigeria [photo] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by AceKid(m): 12:45am On Feb 12, 2011
chei !!! na for whr that Mumubarak hide ? me ma sef i dey look 4 am,

person want turn world richest man for government money ! PROTESTER 2 MUBARAK : is zit your moni, ?? MUBARAK 2 PROTESTER : y u dey vex !

a democracy president denies the people their right to protest ( revolution ) ?

Swiss bank freeze account ?

i felt Obama has done it again in handling international diplomacy issue diplomatically, i now know y he is always smilin, no sweat just use your intelligence wink

NA SO WE GO DEY ? LOL grin

evacuated Nigerians are u makin a u turn now ?
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by jenuwyne: 12:50am On Feb 12, 2011
NIGERIA!  a curious case if you ask me, @kobojunkie those are exactly the reasons why a protest/revolution will not work, really dont care how long we discuss this, so many factors stand against it. To protest, one would lay down everthing about himself/herself to die for the next generation. where do you even start to argue about Nigeria's case. An industrial action called by labour in Nigeria to protest for fuel increase in Nigeria would be boycotted by Nigerians saying they are tired of staying at home.

But come to think of it, how can they stay at home when there's no food, water supply, power, simple basics of life, and yet you expect them to march in solidarity in the sun for days/nights? Again, change in Nigeria cannot be achieved by the people(i stand to be corrected)  it is only DIVINE.  We can, to a very large extent push it in the zones( even so theres still no unity in the zones, lets not even try to go into politics concerning this) but impossible at the centre.

We Nigerians are too cute to protest, please dont tell me SNG did push, revolution/protest in Nigeria will be abused to quote you, by the ageros/mallams,aba boys. I dont know you, i doubt if you would want to lead a protest in this our country.

French revolution, Iran Revolution, Tunisian revolution, Egypt revolution, look closely you'll see a common motivator. Well finally i say a big congratulations to the Egyptians.
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by Kobojunkie: 1:04am On Feb 12, 2011
jenuwyne:

NIGERIA! a curious case if you ask me, @kobojunkie those are exactly the reasons why a protest/revolution will not work, really dont care how long we discuss this, so many factors stand against it. To protest, one would lay down everthing about himself/herself to die for the next generation. where do you even start to argue about Nigeria's case. An industrial action called by labour in Nigeria to protest for fuel increase in Nigeria would be boycotted by Nigerians saying they are tired of staying at home.

Again, there is no reason to keep going around and around in circles on this without basing it on reality. If you had asked any Egyptian back on January 27th, if Egyptian people could do what they have done today, the answer you would get is not NO, but NEVER. Yes, Egyptians never believed they could put aside their difference to stand together on this either. But see what happened the very next day, the 28th of January, the same Egyptians that have been known to be unwilling, came together to fight against their common foe.

jenuwyne:

But come to think of it, how can they stay at home when there's no food, water supply, power, simple basics of life, and yet you expect them to march in solidarity in the sun for days/nights? Again, change in Nigeria cannot be achieved by the people(i stand to be corrected) it is only DIVINE. We can, to a very large extent push it in the zones( even so theres still no unity in the zones, lets not even try to go into politics concerning this) but impossible at the centre.

Our forefathers used to say “A hungry man is an angry man”. Are you suggesting that Nigerians have managed to change that? The reason why Tunisians, and eventually Egyptians took to the street was because they were hungry, and so angry. They matched in solidarity, in both cases out of anger over hunger.
jenuwyne:

We Nigerians are too cute to protest, please dont tell me SNG did push, revolution/protest in Nigeria will be abused to quote you, by the ageros/mallams,aba boys. I dont know you, i doubt if you would want to lead a protest in this our country.
There is no need for a leader. Egypt has proved that to us. I am not sure why you are still fishing for excuses when so far, it is clear this revolt was not started by one single person but a people united against the hunger and anger at what they have continued to live with for years.
jenuwyne:

French revolution, Iran Revolution, Tunisian revolution, Egypt revolution, look closely you'll see a common motivator. Well finally i say a big congratulations to the Egyptians.
The common motivator is CHANGE, simple and short. If we want CHANGE, we should be, again willing to step out to demand it as a people. We have numerous examples of how simply it can start. Question we need to ask ourselves now is why we are so unwilling to change our own future for ourselves, and our children. What is wrong with us as individuals, enough of the blame games.
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by jenuwyne: 1:27am On Feb 12, 2011
@kobojunkie Yes! no need to go round in circles, we have been protesting alright; in pulpits, buses, newspaper stand,stadiums when the flood lights suddenly go off. I can go on and on. U said we dont nee a leader is that possible? i tot el baderine the human right activist was, well howbeit, i crave for change, sincerly i do. History in Nigeria would not motivate you not all, the hunger people face in Nigeria kills them inside, it does not cos them to protest.

Look at carefully all the riots and protest you hear of in Nigeria are all selfish and foolish riots, so baseless that you hear them and turn to the next pressing issue. NIGERIA WILL CHANGE AND WILL BE GREAT, BUT PURELY DIVINE. I share your tots on some points, Egyptians have claimed their destiny by self will and dertermination.

For Nigeria, we will wait and see. I REST MY CASE
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by Kobojunkie: 1:30am On Feb 12, 2011
jenuwyne:

@kobojunkie Yes! no need to go round in circles, we have been protesting alright; in pulpits, buses, newspaper stand,stadiums when the flood lights suddenly go off. I can go on and on. U said we dont nee a leader is that possible? i tot el baderine the human right activist was, well howbeit, i crave for change, sincerly i do. History in Nigeria would not motivate you not all, the hunger people face in Nigeria kills them inside, it does not cos them to protest.

Look at carefully all the riots and protest you hear of in Nigeria are all selfish and foolish riots, so baseless that you hear them and turn to the next pressing issue. NIGERIA WILL CHANGE AND WILL BE GREAT, BUT PURELY DIVINE. I share your tots on some points, Egyptians have claimed their destiny by self will and dertermination.

For Nigeria, we will wait and see. I REST MY CASE

Please look to Egypt for answers, rather than making conclusions based on the selfish acts of people who have in the past been mostly able to step outside of that to ask for change. Protesting in pulpits and what nots have not worked for us . . . so I see no reason why we should even consider it protest anymore. We need something that works now. Not more of the same old.

I wait for the day Nigerians will realize that their only enemy all this while has been their own inaction and nothing more.
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by Limaoscar: 1:45am On Feb 12, 2011
Joker didn't even wait for the steps to be arranged. He fell-off the cliff grin, step down ko fly-off ni angry angry
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by Nobody: 2:18am On Feb 12, 2011
nigeria is next, rise up my people and fight against the corrupt politicians, i am behind you my fellow nigerians, watching from afar!
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by tarano: 2:53am On Feb 12, 2011
Olorun ma je ki aye kodi si wa, when the world turns against you there is no one to rescue you but God,
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by Angelheart: 3:00am On Feb 12, 2011
I wish the Zimbabweans can learn from the Egyptians, They staye din their country and fought on, Mugabe should be next to go!
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by rhymz(m): 4:09am On Feb 12, 2011
I laugh when people try to suggest what happened in june 12 as a protest. . .lol. .that was Nigerians being Nigerians. We had people rioting and destroying public properties for different reasons, in the west the Yorubas were rioting cos the government was trying to short-change Abiola the alleged winner, in the east people were protesting not neccessarily cos of Abiola but cos of their wards, family and properties being killed and destroyed in other part of nigeria and may be a percieved northern elite agenda to keep IBB in power, the Hausas wanted IBB out too but still did not spare non hausas or fulanis. How all these translated to a protest is beyond me, we had people fleeing to their real state of origins and in the end, what did we achieve? Let us not kid ourselves, Nigerians do not need to go the egyptian or Tunisian way to demand change. Those of us that actually witnessed the horrors of June 12 can attest to the fact that Nigerians will do better gradually strengthening our democratic and political institutions and changing our political mindset than for the present day Nigerians to take to the streets wreck undue havoc. In the first place what will be our main reason for such a protest? GEJ, the system of Government or corruption? What exactly for? Elections are by the corner, whoever has any protest can do that now by organising others through sensitization programmes to vote en mass for the right candidate and may be take it up from there. Pushing people to protest now will only earn them bullets from our trigger-happy police force and nothing will happen except that you will be statistics in the dailies.
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by ababda: 4:31am On Feb 12, 2011
What is interesting the head of the military in Egypt is Nubian his name is Muhammed Hussein Tantawi, hopefully he does what the people wish and set up a democracy and relinquish military controll. He will be the third person of Nubian or Northern Sudanese extraction in this position, the others was Sadat and Egypt and Sudan first modern president Muhammed Naguib, when egypt and northern sudan were one country during the fifties.

Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by anonimi: 6:42am On Feb 12, 2011
^^^
thanks for the historical background and enlightenment.

one down, many more to go in Africa and the Middle East in particular.
Gbagbo of Cote d'Ivoire next.
Vox Pop, Vox Dei - The voice of the people is the voice of God.
Let your voice be heard this election season in 9ja.
Identify, scrutinise, select and support your candidates to the state and national assemblies.
So we can have more legislators than legislooters.
Hope you know your constituency.
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by tyson55(m): 7:49am On Feb 12, 2011
Me think Mubarak simply step down, but still has an influence on the governmen through the military. Mubarak amassed a fortune estimated to be between $40 to $70billion, the military especially the top brass like Tantawi and co, are under his pay roll. Reason why he was eased out and offered a kind of in house exile in sham el shiek. Epic skimming is a common privilege of middle eastern despot.
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by Nobody: 9:09am On Feb 12, 2011
with an annual military aid of about $1.4 billion per annum, the united states made it clear to mubarak that the aid will surely stop if he wont relinquish power for an interim government. the saudi government rose up to take that challenge of providing such aid taking the place of the US. But top military chiefs are in support of mubarak to hang on, but the younger ones don't want to lose out in such aid and cutting ties with the US. So, in other not to be seen as detractors (top military chiefs) they have to caved in for the request of the young officers for mubarak to step down, cos a coup plot will be eminent.

thats the story why mubarak simply stepped down and nothing more. Remember he said barely 24hrs earlier, that no foreign meddling in egyptian matters.
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by efisher(m): 9:33am On Feb 12, 2011
rhymz:

I laugh when people try to suggest what happened in june 12 as a protest. . .lol. .that was Nigerians being Nigerians. We had people rioting and destroying public properties for different reasons, in the west the Yorubas were rioting cos the government was trying to short-change Abiola the alleged winner, in the east people were protesting not neccessarily cos of Abiola but cos of their wards, family and properties being killed and destroyed in other part of nigeria and may be a percieved northern elite agenda to keep IBB in power, the Hausas wanted IBB out too but still did not spare non hausas or fulanis. How all these translated to a protest is beyond me, we had people fleeing to their real state of origins and in the end, what did we achieve? Let us not kid ourselves, Nigerians do not need to go the egyptian or Tunisian way to demand change. Those of us that actually witnessed the horrors of June 12 can attest to the fact that Nigerians will do better gradually strengthening our democratic and political institutions and changing our political mindset than for the present day Nigerians to take to the streets wreck undue havoc. In the first place what will be our main reason for such a protest? GEJ, the system of Government or corruption? What exactly for? Elections are by the corner, whoever has any protest can do that now by organising others through sensitization programmes to vote en mass for the right candidate and may be take it up from there. Pushing people to protest now will only earn them bullets from our trigger-happy police force and nothing will happen except that you will be statistics in the dailies.

I agree 100% with the part in bold font. We are already undergoing a change process and the Egyptian model may not neccessarily be the best for Nigeria. We only need to reinforce the democratic process and inject more positives into our government. Good examples of these exist in States such as Lagos and Edo States. We will get there.
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by johnjoel(m): 10:25am On Feb 12, 2011
finally praise to alla
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by seunlayi(m): 10:44am On Feb 12, 2011
rhymz:

YOU ARE RIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by seanet02: 11:12am On Feb 12, 2011
Next. Please
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by Nobody: 11:47am On Feb 12, 2011
What happend in Egypt can never never happen in Nigeria, 'cus Egypt is a nation, Nigeria is just a contraption! Who will do the protest? If u try it in PH, the Lagosian will just cary on their daily activties, the Kano wil say that the infidel have started again!
Anyway, I dont thnk the Egyptians have goten what they wanted. In my own opinion, the istraelis and the americans had asked Mubarak to hand over to the military and have his safty guaranteed while preventing radicals such as muslim brodahood frm seizing power thereby treatning istreal and becming another terrorist base!
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by eherbal(m): 1:16pm On Feb 12, 2011
God save Nigeria!we're such cowards,we can't make such change,it's just impossible. shocked
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by Limaoscar: 3:11pm On Feb 12, 2011
What Country is next? Libya? Algeria? Morocco? Syria? Jordan? . . . .

Algeria already started mumbling somethings. Next will be the Zimbabwean strong man, then Lauren Gbagbo, Paul Biya (our next door Principality), then it will be free fall for all other despotic sit-tight oppressors dotted accross Africa.
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by Ibomade1: 3:22pm On Feb 12, 2011
Good riddance. Is democracy creeping into the Arab world?
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by Nobody: 3:31pm On Feb 12, 2011
There are few times in our lives when we have the opportunity to make history. Egyptians made history in this generation by forcing Hosni Mubarak to step down through protest. Mubarak handing over to the military contravenes the Egyptian's constitution because he supposed to have handed to the paliament instead of the military. At least, it is still better than seeing him clinching on to power forever. But the question now is, would the military hand over power to a democratic government soon? As it is popularly said, power intoxicates!
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by Nobody: 3:42pm On Feb 12, 2011
koastar:

There are few times in our lives when we have the opportunity to make history. Egyptians made history in this generation by forcing Hosni Mubarak to step down through protest. Mubarak handing over to the military contravenes the Egyptian's constitution because he supposed to have handed to the paliament instead of the military. At least, it is still better than seeing him clinching on to power forever. But the question now is, would the military hand over power to a democratic government soon? As it is popularly said, power intoxicates!

the parliament has been dissolved, na for NTA you dey watch the news?
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by phizman(m): 3:57pm On Feb 12, 2011
can nigerians stage such a protest NO WAY!!!!
who wan die, lol
suffering & smiling pple,

CONGRATS EGYPT!!!!!!
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by Kobojunkie: 4:52pm On Feb 12, 2011
enitan2002:

with an annual military aid of about $1.4 billion per annum, [b]the united states made it clear to mubarak that the aid will surely stop if he wont relinquish power for an interim government. [/b]the saudi government rose up to take that challenge of providing such aid taking the place of the US. But top military chiefs are in support of mubarak to hang on, but the younger ones don't want to lose out in such aid and cutting ties with the US. So, in other not to be seen as detractors (top military chiefs) they have to caved in for the request of the young officers for mubarak to step down, cos a coup plot will be eminent.

thats the story why mubarak simply stepped down and nothing more. Remember he said barely 24hrs earlier, that no foreign meddling in egyptian matters.

Where did you get the part in bold? Congress had not even made a decision on what to do about the aid, yet you have it that the US threatened to cut the Aid to Egypt? undecided
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by KomiDavid(m): 6:42pm On Feb 12, 2011
You may choose not recognize it,you may want to suppress it but it is an everlasting truth-POWER BELONG TO THE PEOPLE. A new wind of change has just begun and it bring down any man on its way.African leaders beware.Let Mubarak always come to your mind in your craze for power.Be reminded that the country is not your father's.
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by mikewills(m): 7:14pm On Feb 12, 2011
The question is how many Nigerians inside Nigeria have heard of the protests going in North Africa . Most Nigerian homes suffer constant power failure, the few minutes light will stay, they use it to watch home videos . Is that how they can organize for any meaningful protest? .

grin grin grin grin grin, Below the belt
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by orbaxy(m): 7:59pm On Feb 12, 2011
This Mobinga guy should be closely monitored. He has extreme tendencies! angry
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by Nobody: 9:04pm On Feb 12, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Where did you get the part in bold? Congress had not even made a decision on what to do about the aid, yet you have it that the US threatened to cut the Aid to Egypt? undecided

@ kobo,
there're some reports that just dont find their way to the media.
Do you know Ben Ali was bundled inside a car that took him to where his private jet was? When his he and his wife got inside the plane, he alighted saying he's ready to die in tunisia rather than running away, the state secret service chief with him at the airport warned him never to try that if he doenst want to get bundled to the aircraft. His wife leila shouted at his 'wasn't it your folly that got us to where we are now'

This among several reports that never find their way to the media. So, dont question where i got that from.

Do you ask where wikileaks get their cables from?
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by Kobojunkie: 9:06pm On Feb 12, 2011
^^^^^ hiss~~~~
Please answer the question !!!!  undecided undecided undecided undecided
Kobojunkie:

Where did you get the part in bold? Congress had not even made a decision on what to do about the aid, yet you have it that the US threatened to cut the Aid to Egypt?  undecided
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by zibby(m): 11:56pm On Feb 12, 2011
I'm a little worried for the Egyptian people. Does anyone here recognise this scenario?

1. African leader overstays welcome
2. Said African leader is deposed by military
3. There is rejoicing in the streets
4. New military leadership promises elections
5. ,

Let's pause there for now. But am I the only one who feels he's seen this all before?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Adebayo Adewole: Religion Is Not A Measure For Good Leadership In Nigeria / Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) / Buhari To Travel To Niger Republic With Three Governors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.