Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,858 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:37 AM

I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) (37085 Views)

His Son Bears Different Surname - Any Immigration Issue? / How The Travel Ban Will Affect Nigerians / Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Nobody: 5:42pm On Aug 05, 2020
Stay back and finish your education for now.
That's all the advice I have for you.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by yusfaith78(m): 5:42pm On Aug 05, 2020
dayoige:
Real quick!
I have a uncle in the UK who is a citizen and he assured me that if I can change my surname to his, he will fly me over to the UK.

I'm a 300L student studying economics here in Nigeria, and my name is ... ( This is the name I have in all my documents) and the surname my uncle want me to change to is 'Richard' so after changing my name it will look like this "Dayo Richard".

I want to apply for a change of name (to address the surname)

After doing the change of name I want to also apply for my National Identification Registration with (NIMC) which definitely I will have to do a new Birth Certificate with my new name.

Now my problem is this :
Will the change of surname affect my travelling documents if I want to apply for a visa, since the surname I have on my academic documents is different from my new surname?

What do you think I can do to balance everything?

Thanks

Please don’t change it because it using his name doesn’t guarantee you will get the visa to move to UK (consular considers other factors in granting visas) secondly, let’s assume you get the visa and you moved to UK, your credentials will become useless due to the discrepancy which would eventually means you will end up taking jobs like CARE JOB, WAREHOUSE JOB so it’s that what you want to be doing for the rest of your life? I would suggest you finish you studies then if your uncle really want to help you, he should sponsor your masters in UK which is a very straight way of migrating to UK. Don’t let the immediate gain of becoming UK Citizens ruin your life because journey that suppose to take you just 5 years mights eventually take you 20 years. Remember British passport can not make you rich neither will it put food on your take. All you need is a good job which might elude you if you ruined your credentials.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by sirtee(m): 5:43pm On Aug 05, 2020
My brother, you have no problem. Do affidavit first and publish in any national dailies, afterward use the new name for your national ID card. Don't do birth certificate for the new name because it is what you used to gain admission from primary till date. The publication and the national ID card have covered you. No need to worry. I wish you well, but make sure you seek your mum's consent. Peace to you!

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by larryking540: 5:45pm On Aug 05, 2020
Btruth:
Exactly. You really need to be very careful when it come to changing of names with the British on your documents when applying for their visa. They are really Maddy when a contradictions occurs. Please, be well guided.

shae na e uncle ,make una leave am make this dude go make money ,I kw understand una for 9ja ooo, everything about una na just fear ,fear for fear way no day ,
life is either u try or u die like dat ,na this same fear make us no fit hold our govt for their failure,demm
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by PrinceDuro: 5:46pm On Aug 05, 2020
Your uncle just wanted to spoil your future chances of exploring the world. How do you explain this to the VO.
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Nobody: 5:46pm On Aug 05, 2020
It seems most people commenting don't understand what the OP asked.

The person in question is his uncle, he is asking whether changing his surname to his uncle's would affect his travelling since his documents are bearing the other.

Someone has already answered, no, it won't affect him because there's a place where he will fill his former name.

If his uncle is using his grandfather's name as his surname, there's nothing wrong with him using his grandfather's name too, most people do that.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Benprass(m): 5:48pm On Aug 05, 2020
There is a way that seem right to man, but at the end is distraction, how will your late Dad feel, just saying, I know the country is not easy and some important opportunities like this are not easy to say no, but pray about it think about it

All will be well

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by stagger: 5:52pm On Aug 05, 2020
He will fly you to UK to do what really? So your whole life goal is to travel to UK? SMH!
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by akdjr(m): 5:54pm On Aug 05, 2020
Make enquiry from the relevant traveling consultant and if it's possible do that ASAP. As a matter of fact if Satan want me to change my surname to his name and I am guarantee of Visa and permanent resident in UK I go live this una country wey everything de reverse.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Omooba77: 5:56pm On Aug 05, 2020
dayoige:
Real quick!
I have a uncle in the UK who is a citizen and he assured me that if I can change my surname to his, he will fly me over to the UK.

I'm a 300L student studying economics here in Nigeria, and my name is .... ( This is the name I have in all my documents) and the surname my uncle want me to change to is 'Richard' so after changing my name it will look like this "Dayo Richard".

After doing the change of name I want to also apply for my National Identification Registration with (NIMC) which definitely I will have to do a new Birth Certificate with my new name.

Now my problem is this :
Will the change of surname affect my travelling documents if I want to apply for a visa, since the surname I have on my academic documents is different from my new surname?

Thanks

Oga finish your study and come out in flying colours....
You will go to London as if you are going to toilet.
Are you not proud of your father?
Even your father's name is not well known; you can make that name open doors for your children and great great great grand children.........
Don't change your surname

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by onyebuchibossV: 5:57pm On Aug 05, 2020
As long as you're above 18 yrs of Age, this wouldn't work. There is no harm in trying tho, as long as he finds the money. Good luck!
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by femi4: 5:59pm On Aug 05, 2020
Abalado:
Two mumu lovers,,, what's the big deal in changing name,, since u they fear ur surname what changes does it added to ur life,,, mumu, u better change it before he change his mind on u,,
Why is it important to his uncle. If its not a big deal, why is it a clause in helping his nephew
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by CaseSensitive(m): 6:00pm On Aug 05, 2020
Does your uncle in the UK have kids under the age of 10? Just asking so I'll know how to propose one or two hypotheses.
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by AreaFada2: 6:01pm On Aug 05, 2020
pocohantas:

Or the uncle is his father.
Shit happens. Maybe time to officialize things now that the "dad" is gone. grin cheesy
Oil dey your head. grin

If not he won't be so unconcerned about DNA test that will be needed, if it's family reunion.

To invite extended family you do not need to have same surname. Not that same surname is needed for family reunion either.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by TheKingIsHere: 6:02pm On Aug 05, 2020
dayoige:
Real quick!

I'm a 300L student studying economics here in Nigeria, and my name is .... ( This is the name I have in all my documents) and the surname my uncle want me to change to is 'Richard' so after changing my name it will look like this "Dayo Richard".

Now my problem is this :

Thanks

Don't try it or else, you will end up being your uncles slave since you changed or falsified your name.

Be smart and hustle, so that you can travel out with your own money

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Sonfethopia: 6:02pm On Aug 05, 2020
guru90:
All this stupid Uncles that loves to suffer person first, before you get what you want from them.....

I am not in good terms with my Uncles self because they really maltreated me when i was growing up back in de days........

What is ur Uncle main reason of changing it?

This isn't about good or bad uncle. That's d only way d uncle can help. So she will go to UK as his child.
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Nobody: 6:11pm On Aug 05, 2020
I would rather not have commented but due to the fact that I had face similar experience; here is my little piece of advice. One of my uncle residing abroad demanded that I should reduce my age and take his place of birth as mine and it must reflect on my international passport to enable him send bring me up as his son. Well I didn't want to do it but he pressured that's the only way he can return the help he received from my dad when he was suffering. I later went ahead with his ideal.
Lo and behold, the guy disappointed me until now. it cost me huge sum of money to have it changed at the Nigeria Immigration Service here in Abuja.
I don't know your uncle (not necessary though), you have to think about the long term effect on your official documents. what if you are disappointed? or it worked out...thank God.
be guided that it will cost you huge some like mine to have it changed.
Pray and think about it.
#Goodluck
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by sharonalex: 6:12pm On Aug 05, 2020
Are you sure this your uncle is not your real father? please ask your mum who is your real father.........we never can say bro

1 Like

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by mmadu4: 6:15pm On Aug 05, 2020
Your uncle is your real dad .
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by timisquare82(m): 6:16pm On Aug 05, 2020
You had better change it now before it's too late and get out of this shithole country!
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Nobody: 6:18pm On Aug 05, 2020
Ekpekaycee:
Don't forget that the internet never forgets. If indeed this story is real, you will one day wish you never posted it on a public space like this.

What exactly did she post....??
Her name
Her certificate
Her picture
This is just story.... if internet likes, let it remember for 2million years

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by andyanders: 6:20pm On Aug 05, 2020
Op, u don't knw you are exposing urself and ur uncle and putting him in danger through this medium. These are private issues u find solution offline. You lack wisdom. There are ways to handle this nd u'll travell and still retain all ur orriginal documents on ur name. This is real fvck up.
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by pastorarynzay: 6:20pm On Aug 05, 2020
dayoige:
Real quick!

Now my problem is this :

Thanks

This is sins
Whatsover proceed that accrue from it is builded upon sin, so when God look at your gift he calls it sin. Kindly wait for perfect timing.
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Burgerlomo: 6:21pm On Aug 05, 2020
poiunt:
Sorry to disappoint you ...this method does not work again..background check will always catch up with you...

They can even ask for a DNA test cool
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by udy4real(m): 6:23pm On Aug 05, 2020
[s]
It’s not as simple as you think. Bro if u are up to 18 please don’t change that name because it won’t work. Please.
Once you are above the age of 18 and not physically challenged (to the point where you need assistance to eat and do daily activities), no one can include you as a dependent in immigration or tax filings.
Ask a good immigration attorney before you make this mistake and just know that,
First this is listed as an immigration scam. One that can earn you a life ban from the U.K.
Secondly, it’s not as easy as you think and you have to change all of your documents to reflect the new name before they can now be accepted.

If your uncle wants to help you, let him go ahead and do that without putting you in such damming situation.][/s]

Say what you know,my friend of 45years just relocated to the U.S. in January and he was filled for immigrant family visa by his elder brother
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Perewenkle1: 6:24pm On Aug 05, 2020
I will advice that you do not change your surname, finish your education in Naija. If he wants to fly you, there is nothing wrong with your current name, what you are purporting to do is fraud, it will burst and destroy you later.
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Nobody: 6:28pm On Aug 05, 2020
femi4:
Why is it important to his uncle. If its not a big deal, why is it a clause in helping his nephew

Entering the uk is not easy....

Same surname fly better if the arrangement is visiting....its easier to say my cousin is visiting and it’s more believable at the embassy with same surname.... embassy denies cousin visit a lot, since anyone can be your cousin with any name..

Same surname is also believable if the uncle is claiming he has adopted the OP.....

They cannot dare to claim father and daughter in 2020... uk embassy will ask for DNA test....
unless the uncle is the real father..and the OP doesn’t know...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

7 Passengers Injured In Ghastly Motor Accident On Third Mainland Bridge (Pix) / Facts About Kogi State And A Nairalander Experience (pictures) / Corpers Coming From CDS Involved In Accident (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.