Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria (40854 Views)

A Visit To An Aquarium In Downtown Toronto / Animals At Kofar Gamji Park, Kaduna: A Visit After Reopening (Photos & Video) / A Visit To Oniru Beach, Victoria Island, Lagos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by travelwaka: 12:07pm On Aug 05, 2020
There are so many beautiful destinations in Lagos. I have been hearing about the Lekki Art market for a while so I decided to visit of course with my lens. I can't afford not to share this beauty with you. This market is one of a kind. It will win the cleanest market in Nigeria. Whoever told us markets has to be dirty. That's a story for another.

I am a lover of food, arts, nature and most other things people might call boring LOL. The Lekki Art Market was just the perfect place for me. The other place that gave me this much excitement was the Nike Art Gallery. You can check out the review https://www.nairaland.com/5201466/nike-art-gallery-freedom-park

This market is between the fourth and fifth roundabout along the Lekki Epe expressway. It is known as the Oba Elegushi market so incase you ask for the Lekki Arts Market and the locals are looking at you like you are speaking a foreign language. This market is the real definition of difficult roads leads to beautiful destinations. As you drive along its not so pleasant road once you exit the Lekki Epe expressway. However on getting to this market, you will be blown away like a little piece of paper on a windy afternoon.
Unlike other markets, It only sell arts and crafts like paintings, sculptures, wood carvings, artworks, precious stones etc It is a tourist hub for art works, you would see so many tourist coming around that you would almost ask yourself if you were still in Nigeria.

below are some of the beautiful photos from this market.

Source https://www.travelwaka.com/lekki-art-market-celebrating-african-arts/

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by travelwaka: 12:07pm On Aug 05, 2020
The key to exploring this market is do not act like a JJC or else, they will give you tourist price lol. They are used to having so many foreigners so if your English is too much, you might end up buying a 300 Naira worth of material for 2,500.
But the rule is always be fair in your pricing. One things I always try to do is to go around, so I can have a knowledge of the industry rate. Please do not overprice them, they have families and this is their only source of survival. Thanks in advance. This is one of the ways we can support local creatives.

More Images

1. Local Jewelry
2. More
4. Wood carving

13 Likes

Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by travelwaka: 12:17pm On Aug 05, 2020
YOu should visit this market

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by travelwaka: 12:21pm On Aug 05, 2020
In my opinion the prices are generally fair
I once got a beautiful artwork for 2500. I saw the same artwork in one of those luxurious art gallery selling for 20,000. Even if you had bought it for 20,000 you won't feel cheated cos the art was worth it.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by travelwaka: 12:28pm On Aug 05, 2020
More Art works - This part is the fashion section of the market,

7 Likes

Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by travelwaka: 12:38pm On Aug 05, 2020
It is also the perfect place for all kinds of ready made fabrics. just walk in and pick one and they are quite affordable. I once took a tourist here two Britons, you need to see the way they were rocking their African prints every where we went that day. Then I realised we don't even cherish what we have. They bought a lot of these stuffs for their families back home.

We really need to retrace our steps and embrace African products.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by travelwaka: 12:43pm On Aug 05, 2020
Check out these Ones here, It gave me goosebumps. Nigerians are really creative.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by travelwaka: 12:50pm On Aug 05, 2020
More beautiful photos - Lalasticlala what are you thoughts on this ?

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by pocohantas(f): 1:46pm On Aug 05, 2020
travelwaka:
Check out these Ones here, It gave me goosebumps. Nigerians are really creative.

They are beautiful. What about them gave you the goosebumps?

5 Likes

Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by pocohantas(f): 1:59pm On Aug 05, 2020
The key to exploring this market is do not act like a JJC or else, they will give you tourist price lol. They are used to having so many foreigners so if your English is too much, you might end up buying a 300 Naira worth of material for 2,500. But the rule is always be fair in your pricing.

I don’t know if it is the same in other countries, but this right here makes shopping in local markets so stressful and eventful. cheesy

Me: Madam how much for this fish?

Seller: How many you wan buy?

Me: 6

Seller: Take am N7000

Me: Ahnahn! Almost N1200 each? This fish no be N500 again? (Checks their sizes to be sure it is same N500 own)

Seller: Aunty fish done cost, na Corona virus cause am. Them no dey swim for water again. I hear say all the fishes done dey swim go Cameroon. Check around, many people no see fish buy for cold-room. Take am N6000, na customer I wan do you.

Me: (Bent on buying it N500, highest N550). Make I give you N3500 (I even added N200 o).

Seller: Noooo! Aunty I no sell like that. I no even buy am like that. My gain for that price I give you na 50 Naira!

Me: Okay, mummy next time. (Walks away...keeps walking...keeps walking)

Seller: *shouting “Nwanyi ocha, ngwa bia. Nne bia”*

Me: *thinking to myself, should I go back or proceed*

Pheeew!

80 Likes 5 Shares

Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by travelwaka: 1:59pm On Aug 05, 2020
I love art so when I see a lovely piece of artworks I get this awesome feeling .
pocohantas:

They are beautiful. What about them gave you the goosebumps?

2 Likes

Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by pocohantas(f): 2:01pm On Aug 05, 2020
travelwaka:
I love art so when I see a lovely piece of artworks I get this awesome feeling .

Oh! Almost sounded like they were scary. I get you now. They are fine for indoor decor.

Nice thread!

4 Likes

Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by Petyprincess(f): 2:03pm On Aug 05, 2020
OMG!! I love seeing posts promoting our culture and country no be every day we see post like this.
Make i quickly screenshot the address,na first place i go take my boyfriend when he visits cheesy

#africatotheworld

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by Unnerve: 3:47pm On Aug 05, 2020
Lovely photos, but my fondness for art of this kind is merely aesthetic unfortunately.

I believe that for art to be truly appreciated by an art connoisseur, it has to go beyond aesthetics and delve into the history behind it.

I remember seeing a lovely Yoruba historical piece of art at a friend's place and when I asked her about it, all she could tell me was that she liked it just because it's beautiful.
I was able to mask my disappointment though, lol.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by ForeThinker: 6:49pm On Aug 05, 2020
undecided
Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by ForeThinker: 6:50pm On Aug 05, 2020
It's so hard to believe how much can change in a year. This time last year, things were completely different. I was completely different.
Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by AmadorSays: 6:50pm On Aug 05, 2020
Wow, I really love this, I have a passion for art because it soothes the spirit and is also good for business considering many artworks appreciate with time. Get more business tips for profitability and sustenance at https://on.fcmb.com/Top5-7

1 Like

Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by ICHguy(m): 6:51pm On Aug 05, 2020
Beautiful. Please patronize and support my hustle. I will make you a unique and professional 3D logo for your brand or business for just 3K only. The link to my whatsapp is in my signature. God bless
Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by Kendumazy(m): 6:51pm On Aug 05, 2020
Beautiful!

1 Like

Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by Slawormir: 6:51pm On Aug 05, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Beautiful

Just like igun street in Benin city

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by Meenatnigeria(f): 6:52pm On Aug 05, 2020
Pictures like this give me goosebumps kiss
Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by dahgifted(m): 6:52pm On Aug 05, 2020
Are those bags for sale?

1 Like

Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by infini771: 6:52pm On Aug 05, 2020
Africa is the cemetery for talents.

2 Likes

Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by Brandonx(m): 6:52pm On Aug 05, 2020
Beautiful Art work! Made me remember the fine piece someone gave me one year like that na so my sister pack am throway say na so demon take dey enter house.

3 Likes

Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by Yakade(m): 6:52pm On Aug 05, 2020
anyhow
Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by Goldenheart(m): 6:52pm On Aug 05, 2020
cool
Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by seguno2: 6:54pm On Aug 05, 2020
travelwaka:

Unfortunately we have abandoned our interior decorating styles before the 1980s for Arab, Asian and white styles that mean less jobs and more poverty in our society.
When will we be wise again?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria by busomma: 6:55pm On Aug 05, 2020
These smart guys will do very well if our tourist industry is well developed. Those are beautifully creative works of arts. All the best guys.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ethiopian Airline Lands Latest Boeing 787-9 In Abuja With 177 Passengers / Share Your Nigeria To Abroad Stories Here / Tanker Falls, Explodes At Omagba Phase 2 Onitsha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.