Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,685 members, 7,820,386 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:05 PM

Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers (27355 Views)

Twitter Ban: Malami Orders Prosecution Of Offenders / 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting / 17 Edo Lawmakers Claim To Have Impeached Assembly Speaker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by agabusta: 7:35pm On Aug 07, 2020
Greenbirth:
What wonders me in this Edo matter is that Oshomole is not the one contesting for the election, why carrying the matter for head. The greatest fool is the one who knows the truth and still support lies.

You guys constantly talking about Oshiomole are the ones giving him relevance.

A news piece without any mention of Oshiomole, you people will still mention him.
Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by agabusta: 7:36pm On Aug 07, 2020
Halopy:
The funniest thing here is that, the seat of these 17 lawmakers have been declared vacant according to the same constitution malami is claiming to be defending and under the said constitution, the only redress they could seek was going to court to challenge it which they have done as law abiding citizens, and the case is still pending.

Firstly, they committed contempt of court by declaring themselves valid lawmakers.

Secondly, they committed another illegality by inaugurating themselves without any Governor's proclamation.

Thirdly, they did the inauguration in a private room without the mace which is the symbol of authority.

So for the so called malami to be asking the police to protect these set of criminals is a clear indication that this administration is a supporter of illegality, they resort to brazen abuse of powers to get what they want to get. This is bad politics. One thing I know for sure is Edo people are not cowards, they will speak through the ballot.

Once a proclamation is deemed valid, they can be inaugurated by other members.

When Saraki played a fast one, was a 2nd proclamation issued?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by agabusta: 7:37pm On Aug 07, 2020
StagethemTVee:
All these happening right under the Saint Buhari whom we voted and fought for in 2015 because we wanted change. What has changed under this Government since then? Rather they have done at worse levels the things we complained about before he came into power.

It is Buhari that inaugurated few members at night in a hidden location right?

1 Like

Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by agabusta: 7:41pm On Aug 07, 2020
Dpharisee:
1. Attorney general cannot order IGP
2. The matter is in court and his interference is subjudice.
3. He is not responsible for internal security, that's the job of Ogbeni Aregbesola

Nation newspaper should have a good idea editorial board

What is the role of the Atrorney General of the Federation? Ideally the police should be reporting to him.

For your information, police is no longer under interior.

In fact in a well established democracy like the US, the FBI reports to the Attorney General.

The only reason Nigerian police reports directly to the president is because of our military system of govt in the past with a unitary command structure.
Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by Enice(m): 7:42pm On Aug 07, 2020
omocalabar:
Anything goes in this discombobulated administration.. imagine attorney general assuming the role of abba kyari& funtua ....mad people
from this your statement, it seems you are the mad person here. The AGF is the number one law officer of the federation if you must know.

2 Likes

Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by BRASH: 7:42pm On Aug 07, 2020
Tflex01:

Lol... Why so emotional about the whole thing

You are even among the bolded. I mean the people you are advising. cool
Show me a post to prove your point. I can only acknowledge good things done by politicians, but I can never fight anybody because of them. I,am not foolish.
Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by SaintLucia: 7:44pm On Aug 07, 2020
new2012:

Is democracy in danger now? Nigeria ever a democratic state?

Because Jonathan did it doesn't make it right not does it mean it must be repeated
I feel your pain. How I wish u use the same energy to advice Obaseki to do the right thing when he illegally inaugurated 9 members in the middle of the night. One was even wearing a short knicker and bathroom slipper. grin

Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 07, 2020
grin
Winners don't quit.
Welcome to South.
tongue
Stanchem029:
Wishing the outgoing governor good luck in his next political adventure.

Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by agabusta: 7:47pm On Aug 07, 2020
tfelicityk:
Just imagining the role the minister of interior will play here now...

Besides, it seems the present Governor is not telling Nigerians and Edo people his problem...

He is using godfatherism - as character assassination on some politicians as yard sticks...

Police do not report to Interior Minister. Only Civil defence, Immigration, Prisons and Fire service.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by agabusta: 7:47pm On Aug 07, 2020
tfelicityk:
Just imagining the role the minister of interior will play here now...

Besides, it seems the present Governor is not telling Nigerians and Edo people his problem...

He is using godfatherism - as character assassination on some politicians as yard sticks...

Police do not report to Interior Minister. Only Civil defence, Immigration, Prisons and Fire service.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by MondayOsunbor(m): 7:49pm On Aug 07, 2020
Halopy:
The funniest thing here is that, the seat of these 17 lawmakers have been declared vacant according to the same constitution malami is claiming to be defending and under the said constitution, the only redress they could seek was going to court to challenge it which they have done as law abiding citizens, and the case is still pending.

Firstly, they committed contempt of court by declaring themselves valid lawmakers.

Secondly, they committed another illegality by inaugurating themselves without any Governor's proclamation.

Thirdly, they did the inauguration in a private room without the mace which is the symbol of authority.

So for the so called malami to be asking the police to protect these set of criminals is a clear indication that this administration is a supporter of illegality, they resort to brazen abuse of powers to get what they want to get. This is bad politics. One thing I know for sure is Edo people are not cowards, they will speak through the ballot.

after speaking who go count am?
Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by agabusta: 7:50pm On Aug 07, 2020
One4me:

Some naive people are saying these 17 Lawmakers have broken the law because they dont have the Mace and therefore their actions are invalid?
Some even said "matter is in court" when the law says (from the onset) you cannot deprive a validly elected Representative from "representing" their people, using "Executive Power".

Here this:
The Mace is just a symbol of the House proceedings, if it is not availbale, other "symbolic" item can be used to stand in its place.

When Chuba Okadigbo was about to be impeached as Senate President, he stole the Mace and went to hide it in his village home in Ogbunigwe.
The House met and used another "OBJECT" that looked like a Mace (just as l can see here, in the sitting of the 17 Edo Lawmakers) and removed Chuba Okadigbo.
He proceeded to the Court to challenge that removal and the Court affirmed that it was in order and he was validly removed.

So, everything that these 17 Legislators are doing, are bvacked by the law and they can actually impeach Obaseki, if they want but l dont think that would be necessary, in my own opinion. He is a drowned man already.

The Legislators have written to the AGF of Nigeria, intimating him of their resolution and the chaos that Obaseki is creating by sealing the House of Assembly.
The AGF in turn has written to the I.G. of Police requesting him to provide full security for the operation of the House of Assembly and to ensure they were not prevented from carrying out their Democratic responsibilities.
To "seal" all these, the Legislators also went to "pay a visit" to Mr. President and present Ize-Iyamu to him and he ENDORSED them, as President and leader of the APC.
In Nigerian Politics, if you dont know what that means, then you are naive
undecided

Now, what can Obaseki do, without the support of the Security agencies (Police, DSS, NCDF)?
If Obaseki and all the Thugs that Wike imported from the ND dont behave themselves, then the President would draft in the Army and we all know that the Nigerian Army's best performance (and indeed our Security agencies in general), happens when they are maiming Nigerians .
So, any Political Thug that wants to die, should go and start misbehaving in Edo State.

In Summary, Obaseki's 2nd term Governorship ambition and this Thugs are HISTORY.

Take this to the bank, so to speak.

Apt!
Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by agabusta: 7:52pm On Aug 07, 2020
tomdon:

He decamped too late or too early?
He shouldn't have decamped cos he still had the chance to cling the APC ticket

Same with Iyamu. He shouldn't have decamped to APC. With the problems Obaseki is having, he would have clinched a sweet victory.
Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by Tflex01: 8:01pm On Aug 07, 2020
BRASH:
Show me a post to prove your point. I can only acknowledge good things done by politicians, but I can never fight anybody because of them. I,am not foolish.

I am not saying you are foolish but read your post I quoted again. It's obvious you have invested too much emotions in Obaseki's course. Isn't it obvious

Nigerian politicians don't worth it. grin
Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by precious1967(m): 8:02pm On Aug 07, 2020
Obaseki should start preparing his handover because c-in-c have shown his support 4 iyamu. he should ask Amosun. all forces will be used to win edo for apc.
Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by One4me: 8:11pm On Aug 07, 2020
OBASEKI IS COMPLETELY LAWLESS!
How can a Governor go and vandalize the State Assembly, just because you dont want the Lawmakers to sit, under the guise of renovation?
What concerns Governor with roofing of the State Assembly? Is he now part of the Legislative Arm of Government?
I saw the video of the vandalised Assembly and it is no coincidence that the only thing standing there is the picture of the impeached Deputy Speaker on the Wall of the Assembly!
Obaseki even poured a 30 Ton of Granite at the Gate of the Assembly, to prevent the Legislators from driving inside it, Who does he think he is fooling?

Funnily, he did not re-roof the Assembly or renovae it in the dry season but chose to do so in the rainy season. grin grin
Which Budget is he using to do the renovation, when there was no budget for such job?

He should be impeached and then arrested and prosecuted for VAMDALISATION of that Assembly complex.
This attrocity must not go unpunished.
Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by BRASH: 8:15pm On Aug 07, 2020
Tflex01:

I am not saying you are foolish but read your post I quoted again. It's obvious you have invested too much emotions in Obaseki's course. Isn't it obvious

Nigerian politicians don't worth it. grin
I asked you a simple question. Show me a post where I ever hailed, supported or defended Obaseki or any other politician? Pls do
Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by SirBunky85(m): 8:21pm On Aug 07, 2020
Greenbirth:
What wonders me in this Edo matter is that Oshomole is not the one contesting for the election, why carrying the matter for head. The greatest fool is the one who knows the truth and still support lies.
was oshiomole the one contesting in 2016 when he was busy dancing and campaigning for the ingrate,obaseki?did the ingrate ,obaseki did any campaign on his own?it's very easy to detect hypocrites which you're one.

2 Likes

Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by fyneguy: 8:22pm On Aug 07, 2020
deepwater:
what is a letter from the office of the AGF of a sovereign nation doing in the public space?
why do i feel Messrs West Idahosa and Co needed this advert for political gains undecided

all the gains, you can think of.

Some people who support Obaseki, thinking he had Buhari's support, may decamp.
Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by ComeToJesus: 8:25pm On Aug 07, 2020
myboy2111:

https://thenationonlineng.net/breaking-agf-orders-igp-to-provide-security-for-17-edo-lawmakers/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Op, stop misleading readers. Malami only requested/appealed to the IG for police protection for the law makers, going by his letter.

He cannot and does not have such powers to 'order' the police.
Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by One4me: 8:31pm On Aug 07, 2020
Halopy:

You dont know how the law works and you dont know the laws governing how an elected Assembly operates.
Go and read the content of that Court case and you will see that it has nothing to do with what is currently ongoing, as per the redress being sought.
Again, "elected members" of the House can remove an "Appointed officer" (Speaker, Deputy Speaker, Chief Wip, etc) of the Assembly from that "appointed position" within the House but they cannot remove an =Elected Representative of the people.
This is where most fo you miss it completely.
The ONLY WAY to remove an elected Representative is BY A RECALL, initiated by members of his contistuency.
A Speaker cannot declare the Seat of his Colleagues vacant, even the NASS told him so.
Go and visit the Dino Melaye case, a few years back, when his consitutency tried to recall him, unsuccessfully.

So, when Obaseki sits in the Assembly and pronouce that they have lost their chance to be "electd Lawmakers", he was just yarning Oopatta, as in NOISE!.
Those Lawmakers continue to be Lawmakers, whether Obaseki swears them in or not.
The Court has set a lot of precedence in this matter.

- They could not have committed any contempt, because INEC has declared them as valid elected Lawmakers, by giving them a Certificate of Return, having own their elections. Innauguration is "ceremonial", once INEC gives them a Certificate of return.

- The Governor has refused to innaugurate them "ceremonially" and they have done that themselves. There isno law against that, even though by convention, we like the Governor to do so.

- Again, the Courts have established that where the Sitting is IMPOSSIBLE in the State House of Assembly, they Legislatprs can seat in another "public place" that is adequate. Renting a Place to seat, satisfy that condition.
The original Mace, as we have seen in the Case of Okadigbo (when he was impeached and carried by the Court), if not available, cannot stop the work of an Assembly, all they need do is provide something "SIMILAR", and they did just that.

The only person committing ILLEGALITY here is Obaseki, interfering in the House Business, using just Five Senators to do the legistlative work of 24 elected Members, VANDALISING the building of the State Assembly, etc and he will pay for it dearly at the Polls.
The Police is just there to maintain Law and Order, we dont want Political Thugs killing innocent people of Edo State.

2 Likes

Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by SocialJustice: 8:33pm On Aug 07, 2020
SaintLucia:
They will impeach him after his defeat grin He is currently negotiating with APC bigwigs for soft landing grin He will hold a secret meeting with APC bigwigs tomorrow after the APC rally from a reliable source.
The man should have quietly taken a bow. He is just wasting his retirement money and anything he's made from politics. Should he lose I doubt EFCC will spare him.
Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by new2012: 8:34pm On Aug 07, 2020
SaintLucia:
I feel your pain. How I wish u use the same energy to advice Obaseki to do the right thing when he illegally inaugurated 9 members in the middle of the night. One was even wearing a short knicker and bathroom slipper. grin

Bro, pain? It's not a this side vs that side, neither are we in different teams.. it's us against them.. Citizens against politician.

Except they pay u, if u defend any, then you're lost. What matters is they do d sane thing.. the guys who want to start functioning now were hidden for over 3 years, there's a case in court. At the end of the day, it's still them them.. na me and u dey d same gutter called Nigeria!
Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by NEIGHBOUR(m): 8:35pm On Aug 07, 2020
Halopy:

See painment!!! Some people are in great pains now! apology to Fayose.
Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by SaintLucia: 8:49pm On Aug 07, 2020
new2012:

Bro, pain? It's not a this side vs that side, neither are we in different teams.. it's us against them.. Citizens against politician.

Except they pay u, if u defend any, then you're lost. What matters is they do d sane thing.. the guys who want to start functioning now were hidden for over 3 years, there's a case in court. At the end of the day, it's still them them.. na me and u dey d same gutter called Nigeria!
I repeat I feel your pain through your OBUBUYAYA analysis grin

Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by middlebelter(m): 9:35pm On Aug 07, 2020
Halopy:

All politicians and including their social media apologist always try to twist political analysis in their own favour.
As a student of Nigeria's politics, and with a fair knowledge of the law, I keep asking myself, by what power or authority did Obaseki declare the seat of elected representatives of the people vacant? Is it appropriate to swear in selected members of the elected representatives of the people to the exclusion of majority in the night. I may not be a fan of APC but I expect PDP to speak the truth to power always if I may use the language of the PDP spoke person. Now that the pendulum is swinging against their Candidate, the truth can't change.
When Wike and Patience Goodluck played similar game in River state, we condemned it, when Obaseki in APC did it and now in PDP,it is still condemnable.

The police are there to enforce the law and once the political rights of majority is impinge, it should be defended, the law and indeed democracy in for both majority and minorities. When the executive is demonstrating dictatorial tendencies, the system must have a mechanism to check it before the whole system is consumed.
Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by successjohnny(m): 9:40pm On Aug 07, 2020
Halopy:

Why would you write without your brain. You're calling elected representatives criminals. How can you undermine 17 out of 24? Only a mad man will support this Obaseki madness irrespective of party affiliation.
Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by earnit3: 9:58pm On Aug 07, 2020
Hmmmm
Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by ledaman: 10:44pm On Aug 07, 2020
yerokunphilips:
Only God can save Obaseki ,I pity him ,he does not understand politics and politicians , he was advised wrongly ,he too took the wrong advice , miscalculated and took the wrong steps .
90% of people he thinks are loyal to him are not they waited with him to share his plans with them before they leave .
He lost touch with the grassroots politicians (they are the most powerful ,they do all the dirty jobs in politics . Olusola Saraki , Bola Tinubu and Adedibu understand this very well )
He decamped too late (He should have known that they will frustrate him out APC with Osho as the chairman )
The masses can love him but only the politicians can deliver when it comes to election .
Now the security arms of the government have had it clear they are against him .
Then who will defend his loyalist ?
Will you be surprised if they impeach him before election ?
Obeseki should approach the court today ,to contest the legality of the new house .
My people in Edo my prayers is that God will keep you but always remember NON OF THESE. PEOPLE WORTH DIEING FOR .
The Ipob will not see this! grin
Re: Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers by ledaman: 10:47pm On Aug 07, 2020
Halopy:

You are a leaner in political issues !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

APC Leaders At War Over 2023 Presidency, Zoning / Idris Ajimobi To Contest Oyo Assembly Seat / Sunday Igboho's Press Statement After He Regained Freedom From Benin Republic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.