Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,393 members, 7,819,405 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:48 PM

Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships (1956 Views)

Why Do Women Always Do This (Picture) / Why Women Stay In Abusive Relationships / How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by proverbial: 4:54am On Jun 18, 2007
Please do let us discuss this because I don't understand.
The #1 reason is fear, they say.
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by Nobody: 5:13am On Jun 18, 2007
Seems you enjooy sticking needles into our dear feminists here eh. grin

They stay because they have no choice or the society frowns at broken marriages.
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by proverbial: 5:24am On Jun 18, 2007
lol grin, so they say. what a pathetic traveshamockable excuse. tongue
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by Nobody: 5:46am On Jun 18, 2007
It's not as easy as you think, take Nigeria as an example:

- culture/tradition severely frowns at a woman who can't keep her marriage (it doesnt matter if the man is a hopeless drunk), the woman is expected to "manage" to make silk out of sow's ears.

- we have a society that is obsessed with religion. Christianity frowns at divorce, you find several christian women who prefer to endure domestic violence in the name of "he is God's will for my life", "God could not have made a mistake", "i can pray about it that God will change him" and other stupid excuses.
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by proverbial: 6:35am On Jun 18, 2007
the feminist women who are here incarcerating men should be the advocates pushing for advancement in both categories.  You shouldn't eat your cake and have it.
If they plan on being civil, they should know that part of being civil includes understanding that an abusive relationship can lead to a fatal ending & it's often best to take the fastest exit out.  If they don't want to be civil, they should understand that there are certain rules/guidelines their culture(s), or religion(s), expect them to abide by; when these rules become a burden, they should speak out & act against them.

I'm all for revolution.  If civil rights movements & others hadn't revolted against the slavery institution(even though it was being falsley preached that slavery is normal), we'd still be in trouble by now.
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by proverbial: 6:48am On Jun 18, 2007
That's one of the many reasons I admire Dr. Parks. The under-credited Dr. Rosa Parks is a person I consider the pioneer of the Civil Rights Movement. She did it through rebellion, not through violence, or turning the other cheek. She defied the opression with her strength, class, and dignity. She stood up for the black woman & the black man, heck she stood up for America.
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by Seun(m): 9:10am On Jun 18, 2007
If you believe it's ok to beat a kid who has done something wrong,
it's easy to justify the idea of a man beating his (younger) wife who "has done something bad".

Seems you enjoy sticking needles into our dear feminists here eh
Where? There are only one or two of them here, and they both raised abroad. Feminism is nonexistent in Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by OgaMadam(f): 1:50pm On Jun 18, 2007
its that mysterious "soul tie" connection.

even the bible says "your desire shall be for your husband and he will rule over you.

even when a man is bad, women need courage cause they just cant "snap out of it".

I always think women should watch out who they date, cause whatever happens they will be "enslaved to them"

better be enslaved to a good man.
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jun 18, 2007
Seun:

Where? There are only one or two of them here, and they both raised abroad. Feminism is nonexistent in Nigeria.

You are right, they only pretend to be feminists.

What of men who endure verbal and emotional abuse from their wives?
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by proverbial: 10:04pm On Jun 18, 2007
yes, seun, I'd spank a kid who does something very wrong. not always though. cool
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by cuteass1(f): 1:12am On Jun 19, 2007
To each her own . . every victim of an abusive marriage/relationship has her own story to tell and reasons to give.

Some are there because they "think" they love the man, what nonsense love, right? but yes, love can be quite stupid and blind atimes.
Some do it for the sake of their kids, don't want them growing without a father, or thinking the kids will hate them when they grow up for leaving their dad
Some do it because they're scared of being alone, they can't imagine living without a man
Some do it because they lack the courage and self-will to walk away, afraid of the unknown
Some are there because they think he'll turn a new leaf the next minute and that if they continue hoping, just maybe he'll come around
Some can't do without the feeling of being Mrs., desperation to be seen as a married woman
Some do it because of morals, who hopes for a broken marriage anyway?
Some don't want to sit back and watch another woman take over their man, they feel its milder if he goes out to meet her than having her move out of the house and give liberty to the "other" woman

And then yes there are those who are scared of dissappointing the society, being a disgrace to family and not living up to other friends who of course are still married!! (But its not the only reason, Cos some whites find themselves in same situation, and believe me most of them don't treat it any better, I'm sure they're not out to please the society, the society couldn't care less)

its a sad story, but thats just how the cookie crumbles . . . .
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by ThoniaSlim(f): 5:00am On Jun 19, 2007
the questions should be why do some women stay in abusive relationships?
and the answer is because they are foolishly in love. angry
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by iice(f): 5:23am On Jun 19, 2007
Again cute-ass summed it up pretty much

I really don't get some of their reasoning but we can't all be alike abi undecided
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by proverbial: 6:45am On Jun 19, 2007
Thiefof, maybe some of those reasons stated by cutes also explain why some of our Nigerian women don't want to leave their homes.
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by Esss(m): 8:18am On Jun 19, 2007
I have no Idea how cute ass came about those reasons but damn!! That about sums it up,

Except she missed out a very important point too,

Some are still there because they like being abused, Thats the mentality they have bout how a relationship should be, Maybe they themselves grew up in a house where daddy whooped and abused mummy's ass all day long and mummy never complained or moved out!!
See ,

So who really cares why they remain in abusive relationships, what about men who put up with abusive wives , abi na only man fit abuse woman??
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by whiteNkem(f): 9:55am On Jun 19, 2007
I doubt it's because of love. How can you love someone who abuses you. But then, especially if children are involved, they'll think: "what am I going to do with the children? How am I going to manage with this poor salary I have? Then would I be right to deny my children a father? No, they do need a father, esp the boys!" Therefore, here we are, women being abused and nothing being done. It's their own fault for not taking action and not having the guts to stand up for their rights!
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by 2dye4(m): 9:57am On Jun 19, 2007
"darling, i 4give u afterall cos anything is better than being alone" some ladies just don't know any better.  cry
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by cuteass1(f): 1:02pm On Jun 19, 2007
Esss:

I have no Idea how cute ass came about those reasons but damn!! That about sums it up,

Except she missed out a very important point too,

Some are still there because they like being abused, Thats the mentality they have bout how a relationship should be, Maybe they themselves grew up in a house where daddy whooped and abused mummy's ass all day long and mummy never complained or moved out!!
See ,

So who really cares why they remain in abusive relationships, what about men who put up with abusive wives , abi na only man fit abuse woman??

I had to leave one behind for you nah wink But seriously sha, thats a very "hitting the nail on the head" point you got there!!
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by efuah(f): 12:38pm On Jun 23, 2007
cute-ass:

Some are there because they "think" they love the man, what nonsense love, right? but yes, love can be quite stupid and blind atimes.
Some do it for the sake of their kids, don't want them growing without a father, or thinking the kids will hate them when they grow up for leaving their dad
Some do it because they're scared of being alone, they can't imagine living without a man
Some do it because they lack the courage and self-will to walk away, afraid of the unknown
Some are there because they think he'll turn a new leaf the next minute and that if they continue hoping, just maybe he'll come around
Some can't do without the feeling of being Mrs., desperation to be seen as a married woman
Some do it because of morals, who hopes for a broken marriage anyway?
Some don't want to sit back and watch another woman take over their man, they feel its milder if he goes out to meet her than having her move out of the house and give liberty to the "other" woman

And then yes there are those who are scared of dissappointing the society, being a disgrace to family and not living up to other friends who of course are still married!! (But its not the only reason, Cos some whites find themselves in same situation, and believe me most of them don't treat it any better, I'm sure they're not out to please the society, the society couldn't care less)

its a sad story, but thats just how the cookie crumbles . . . .
you said it all dear. you are very right.
But like Ess said, some women loves to be abused and then later the man come begging, that makes them feel good.
"darling am sorry for what happend" nonsense!!
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by cuteass1(f): 2:18pm On Jun 23, 2007
efuah:

you said it all dear. you are very right.
But like Ess said, some women loves to be abused and then later the man come begging, that makes them feel good.
"darling am sorry for what happend" nonsense!!

LMAO . . yes oo - - arrant nonsense angry angry

They give the men tickets to abuse then, why won't they take advantage of it??
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by 2dye4(m): 8:12pm On Jun 23, 2007
cute-ass:

LMAO . . yes oo - - arrant nonsense angry angry

They give the men tickets to abuse then, why won't they take advantage of it??

Let's just say for some ladies, it spices things up! i get thwacked 2day and then i get cuddled the nextday or maybe some hot making-out thereafter. grin very crazy!
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by anabell(f): 8:18pm On Jun 23, 2007
i must say i do not know, its always better 4 women to go 4 the very very soft guys and get to know  whoever better b4 jumping into a relationship
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by amaikama(m): 4:41pm On Apr 28, 2009
@poster!! they stay cause they enjoy every bit of the action. nothing more angry
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by Nobody: 10:16am On Apr 29, 2009
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by topsy25(m): 11:29am On Apr 30, 2009
These pervert ladies shocked They love jumping from one man to the other and this is just the right excuse cry Awon alaininkanse tongue
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by topsy25(m): 11:48am On Apr 30, 2009
Believe me honestly, no matter how terrible a husband is; a woman has been specially made to make a marriage work and even change the hubby if only she can be humble and submissive without being foolish.

No matter how weak women are perceived, they're always stronger than men. They are specially created to help the weak men or the weakness in men. Such weakness could be anything ranging from drunkenness, bitterness etc.

I've seen women who helped their hubby overcome the problem of drunkenness not by nagging but with wisdom and love for their husbands. Most of our girls today, are always in haste to live their man to another one whom they're not even sure of what he would turn out to be after few months into marriage, then from that one, they will move to another and so it goes.
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by topsy25(m): 12:11pm On Apr 30, 2009
Believe me honestly, no matter how terrible a husband is; a woman has been specially made to make a marriage work and even change the hubby if only she can be humble and submissive without being foolish.

No matter how weak women are perceived, they're always stronger than men. They are specially created to help the weak men or the weakness in men. Such weakness could be anything ranging from drunkenness, bitterness etc.

I've seen women who helped their hubby overcome the problem of drunkenness not by nagging but with wisdom and love for their husbands. Most of our girls today, are always in haste to live their man to another one whom they're not even sure of what he would turn out to be after few months into marriage, then from that one, they will move to another and so it goes.
Re: Why Do Women Stay In Abusive Relationships by JJYOU: 12:31pm On Apr 30, 2009
topsy25:

how do broken and battered women bring up girls that will help you? it is mostly women allowed to have the peace and decency of being women that end up raising great daughters.

let no ferminist tell me how successfull single parents go on to raise fine children. i am not talking about educated or beautiful young ladies here.

(1) (Reply)

Accepting Marital Responsibilities / Dear Diary. . . I Miss My Husband And My Baby / Family Of 9 Die Mysteriously In Their Sleep After Burying Their Grandmother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.