Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Ivory Coast President Ouatarra To Run For Third Term - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ivory Coast President Ouatarra To Run For Third Term (283 Views)

China’s Leader Xi Jinping Secures Historic Third Term In Power / Martine Moïse: Oligarchs Killed My Husband, But I Will Run For President / Trump Says He’ll Seek A Third Term Because ‘they Spied On Me’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ivory Coast President Ouatarra To Run For Third Term by RandomAfrican1: 12:44pm On Aug 08, 2020

President of the Ivory Coast, Alassane Ouattara has announced that he would be running for a third term in office, despite declaring some months ago that he wasn’t going to.

Source; https://africaatrandom.com/ivory-coast-president-ouatarra-to-run-for-third-term/

Mr. Outtara formally accepted his party’s nomination on Thursday, thereby officially sealing his bid for a third presidential term in the coming national elections in October. This is in spite of the opposition pointing out that a third term bid is an illegality under the current constitutional regime.

Ouattara has ruled since 2011, after he came into power following electioneering violence of 2010/2011 where the then sitting president was ousted in a military take-over by rebels linked to the the opposition party led by Mr. Ouattara, for refusing to concede power because they believed that they (the opposition) had won the elections and that the results declared by Laurent Gbagbo’s government was fraudulent.

This upcoming election in October is seen as the greatest test yet for the country after attaining relative stability since the upheaval of 2010/2011 which saw about 3,000 people losing their lives.

“I have decided to respond favourably to the call of my fellow citizens,” Ouattara said in a televised speech. “Given my previous promise, this decision represents a real sacrifice for me.”

The opposition parties are flabbergasted at what seems to be a blatant disregard for the constitution which sets a two term presidential limit. The ruling party has however retorted saying that the new constitution was only adopted in 2016 and as such their candidate is not barred from seeking re-election this year.

Opposition party, the Ivorian Popular Front (FPI), have called the president’s decision to run again “deplorable.” FPI spokesman Issiaka Sangare added: “Ivory Coast could have given another signal that would have allowed democracy to continue.”

FPI is the party of former Ivorian president, Laurent Gbagbo, and it has named a former Prime Minister of the Country, Mr. Pascal Affi N’Guessan as its candidate, ending speculations that Gbagbo might return from abroad to stand for re-election this year.

Another key challenger for the presidency is Henri Konan Bedie. Bedie was president from 1993-1999 and is the confirmed candidate of one of the country’s largest political parties, the PDCI.
Re: Ivory Coast President Ouatarra To Run For Third Term by popoolaRofiat(f): 12:49pm On Aug 08, 2020
This one shouldn't be like Apc government will be thinking funny with Mr. Bubu..
Re: Ivory Coast President Ouatarra To Run For Third Term by LaboPolitics: 12:51pm On Aug 08, 2020
Trying to become another 'Gbagbo' whom he demonized and kicked out of government.

3 Likes

Re: Ivory Coast President Ouatarra To Run For Third Term by Piggyyeasters(f): 12:53pm On Aug 08, 2020
Buhari for third term.......NO SHAKING
Re: Ivory Coast President Ouatarra To Run For Third Term by Amotolongbo(f): 12:55pm On Aug 08, 2020
Mr. Outtara formally accepted his party’s nomination on Thursday, thereby officially sealing his bid for a third presidential term in the coming national elections in October. This is in spite of the opposition pointing out that a third term bid is an illegality under the current constitutional regime..
African leaders.

This is why I was indifferent in the tussle to take over the government house in 2010/2011 election saga against Laurent Gbagbo. Knowing that this same Alassane Ouattara will also do worse when he get there

1 Like

Re: Ivory Coast President Ouatarra To Run For Third Term by samincredible44(m): 1:53pm On Aug 08, 2020
African leaders and their die in power syndrome.
Re: Ivory Coast President Ouatarra To Run For Third Term by GamalNasser: 1:55pm On Aug 08, 2020
The same thing he fought Gbagbo for is what he wants to do now

1 Like

Re: Ivory Coast President Ouatarra To Run For Third Term by Olabode971(f): 5:19am On Aug 09, 2020
Africans and power drunk leaders;

When and how will Africa develop?? ?

No WOnder that man make a Ear deafening statement on Africa.

African man buy cloth in France, Cruise in Italy, Medical care in Germany, holidays in Miami; after he dies, he is brought back to africa and get buried in graveyard... Africa is more or less a graveyard.

And graveyard don't develop.

African leaders should have taken clue from him, and defy the odds by setting up a standard and meeting up with other continents..

Re: Ivory Coast President Ouatarra To Run For Third Term by Olabode971(f): 5:23am On Aug 09, 2020
GamalNasser:
The same thing he fought Gbagbo for is what he wants to do now

Yea, and thereby many were killed and thousands will Internally displaced..

Perhaps, its the curse from Noah and others that is bringing Africa to its kneels and crumbles too often.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

There Will Be ‘revolution’ In U.S. If Biden Becomes President – Trump / Veteran Ghanaian Journalist Admits Nigeria Can Squeeze Ghana Economically / Iran Allegedly Plotting To Assassinate Trump’s Friend And US Ambassador To South

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.