Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,939 members, 7,821,289 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed (25012 Views)

Ghali Na’Abba Died Without A House, Left ₦250k In Bank — Hussain Na’abba / Polls: Ortom Breaks Ranks, G5 Governors Battle To Save Political Careers / The Political Careers Obasanjo Ruined, By Fredrick Nwabufo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by Crownbefitsme(f): 11:47pm On Aug 09, 2020

Olusegun Obasanjo is a defining personality in Nigeria’s politics. For decades he has hovered like a wraith over the political cumulus. He is one of the many Nigerian leaders who have profited prodigiously from the country’s undertaking, and he has lived a lifetime on the Nigerian privilege.

Fate handed Obasanjo the brick and mortar to set Nigeria on a fine-grained foundation in 1999 – after years of military vandalism. But did he saddle up to the importunities of destiny? Well, I believe we may not be on the current trajectory as a country if Obasanjo had applied his luck judiciously. He had the chance to redefine the course of our history – even though I admit it was not all up to him – he represented an interest.

Obasanjo’s administration was like a reprise of the military era. Political assassination, a burdensome baggage of the military epoch, was rife under Obasanjo. To date, there is still no piece to the puzzle in the murder of Bola Ige and Harry Marshall – and some other politically-linked killings across the country during Obasanjo’s presidency. It was due to the ineffaceable enormity of the bloodletting that the Northern Elders Forum and the Arewa Consultative Forum asked Goodluck Jonathan to prosecute Obasanjo in 2013.

We cannot excise this chapter from our political history. It remains an eternal blot on the former president. There were also incidences where Obasanjo was summary and borderline ruthless in execution. The cases of Odi and Zaki Biam where the former president dispatched troops on a murderous mission are still a talking point. Really, I found it fiendish when Obasanjo accused President Muhammadu Buhari of tyranny while he himself had trafficked in raw autocracy.

Corruption and pursuit of vendetta were also the hallmark of the Obasanjo administration. The sale of public assets was heavily governed by insular interest. In fact, the preliminaries of the current wobbly state of the power sector were by the failed performance of that administration. The Obasanjo government reportedly cast $16 billion into the power black-hole – not one living light-bulb to show for it.

Testifying before the senate ad hoc committee investigating the privatisation of government businesses from 1999, in April 2011, Nasir el-Rufai, who was the director-general of the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) under Obasanjo, said the former president and Atiku Abubakar, his deputy, influenced the sale of public companies to their associates who did not have the wherewithal to buy them. He said the failure of the exercise was largely due to ‘’government interference’’.

“The president and I were always quarrelling over issues of privatisation. Each time I told him we have a process … that they should advise their friends to be the highest bidder,” el-Rufai said to the panel.

Perhaps, where Obasanjo chalked up notoriety is in his pursuit of vendetta. The former president is a known ‘’grudgist’’. He spares no foe – even in death. His grating ‘’condolence’’ letter on the death of Buruji Kashamu whom he knocked posthumously is the classic ‘’Obasanjo the vengeful’’. He said the late ex-senator, who was wanted in the US for alleged drug dealing, escaped justice but could not evade the sceptre of death.

I do not spar with Obasanjo over his judgment on the deceased. Hagiography is not the best way to send off any departed. Our deeds live on long after we have checked out of this plane. But I am only concerned about Obasanjo’s duplicity. His government gave evidence in the drug-dealing case against Kashamu in the UK, securing his release. And the late politician was Obasanjo’s ally until a bitter divorce owing to divergences in Ogun politics.

And while the comradeship subsisted, Obasanjo exalted Kashamu above iniquity in one of the Omo Ilu Foundation programmes of the deceased in Ogun. ‘’We appreciate all your good work. God will bless you for your good deeds,’’ he said at the event.

In his pursuit of vengeance, Obasanjo ‘’retired’’ some politicians who stood in the way of his ambition. He varied with Peter Odili, former Rivers state governor, who was angling to be Umaru Musa Yar’Adua’s deputy. Obasanjo preferred Jonathan – for ‘’certain reasons’’. He thwarted the mission of Odili and encumbered him with a corruption case. The Ikwere politician procured a ‘’perpetual injunction’’ to save himself.

Also, the former president exerted himself dismantling whatever reputation Atiku Abubakar, his deputy, who challenged his second-term bid, had. He summarily costumed Atiku in a corruption garb which haunts the political future of the former vice-president to date. Obasanjo checked Ghali Umar Na’Abba, former speaker of the house of representatives, and Chibudom Nwuche, his deputy, out of politics after they initiated impeachment proceedings against him. He was deft in making sure they did not return to the house in 2003.

I must add, Obasanjo was able to alter the political progression of these men because their closet was not dirt-free.

Obasanjo admitted he made some mistakes, but he said they were ‘’genuine’’ omissions. “I never say that we didn’t make mistake or we are perfect, but whatever mistake we made was a genuine mistake. It wasn’t a mistake we made as a result of selfishness,” he told the Point Newspaper in an interview in July 2020.

I think, whether the mistakes were ‘’genuine’’ or not, history will be as dispassionate and grating on Obasanjo as he has been on others.

https://www.thecable.ng/atiku-odili-naabba-the-political-careers-obasanjo-killed

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by stonemasonn: 12:00am On Aug 10, 2020
Crownbefitsme:

https://www.thecable.ng/atiku-odili-naabba-the-political-careers-obasanjo-killed
Well he'll also hold grudges against bokoharam and killer herdsmen if they operated during his time.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by SaintBeehot(m): 5:17am On Aug 10, 2020
On Kashamu's death
Baba was wrong tho.
But I think everyone is entitled to his own opinion.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by Lajet: 5:27am On Aug 10, 2020
Odili is not from Ikwerre

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by fykes(m): 5:40am On Aug 10, 2020
I don't think obj killed atiku"s career. Atiku could have been a governor before he became VP.
He still has/have the chance to revive his career and why he hasn't done that uptill now baffles me.
He has the network and funds and even sympathy to become the governor of his state, that will afford him the opportunity to show what he can do, grant him access to funds and a huge political capital to mobilize and oil his machinery for a presidential contest.
Why the Waziri hasn't done this and if he goes away politically, I won't blame obj. He's always had a political lifeline.

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by JesusJesus: 5:50am On Aug 10, 2020
Atiku should stop dreaming of this presidency jooor

11 Likes

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:50am On Aug 10, 2020

We cannot excise this chapter from our political history. It remains an eternal blot on the former president.
There were also incidences where Obasanjo was summary and borderline ruthless in execution.
The cases of Odi and Zaki Biam where the former president dispatched troops on a murderous mission are still a talking point

Corruption and pursuit of vendetta were also the hallmark of the Obasanjo administration.
The sale of public assets was heavily governed by insular interest.
In fact, the preliminaries of the current wobbly state of the power sector were by the failed performance of that administration.
The Obasanjo government reportedly cast $16 billion into the power black-hole – not one living light-bulb to show for it.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by Nobody: 5:50am On Aug 10, 2020
If you want to see the definition of a buffoon open a dictionary, search for the moniker above, you go see am cross leg balance ontop sofa

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by mosuncool: 5:51am On Aug 10, 2020
I won't totally agree...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by Oblongata: 5:52am On Aug 10, 2020
Love or hate him, still the best president so far...

One thing you cannot take from him is that

Baba was in charge!

53 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:52am On Aug 10, 2020
Oblongata:

Baba was in charge!
Yes, he was in charge of those that looted your future and took you back 100 years.
He was indeed in charge of your life Mr oblonganta.
Say no more!

Corruption and pursuit of vendetta were also the hallmark of the Obasanjo administration.

The Obasanjo government reportedly cast $16 billion into the power black-hole – not one living light-bulb to show for it.
Oh Yes, He was truly in charge!!

PataAlhaja:
The vainglorious, holier-than-thou, incestuous, daughter-in-law-fucking old fool tried to kill Buhari's career too but him power no reach.

Overrated, ungrateful akotileta!
Try to take it easy on Baba Ota.
He is an old man you know.

Posterity will judge him and all politicans who turned our darling nation into such ruins.

Karma has everyone's address

braveboy64:

The money allocated for electricity, we only heard about it we didn't see or feel the impact
Feel?

Atleast you will first see something before hoping to feel it.
No be so?

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by chigoziri2403(m): 5:54am On Aug 10, 2020
Odili has not recovered since Obasanjo denied him the presidential ticket

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by MrMcJay(m): 5:54am On Aug 10, 2020
fykes:
I don't think obj killed atiku"s career. Atiku could have been a governor before he became VP.
He still has/have the chance to revive his career and why he hasn't done that uptill now baffles me.
He has the network and funds and even sympathy to become the governor of his state, that will afford him the opportunity to show what he can do, grant him access to funds and a huge political capital to mobilize and oil his machinery for a presidential contest.
Why the Waziri hasn't done this and if he goes away politically, I won't blame obj. He's always had a political lifeline.

The problem Atiku has is that he has a perception problem. He has been tagged as a thief and he hasn't done enough to shed that tag. Obasanjo gazetted him as a thief in a Federal Government Gazette before the court ruled that it was illegal. However, Atiku himself hasn't done much to shed that. Not that Atiku is worse than the average Nigerian politician but Obasanjo really ruined Atiku to the extent that since 1999, Atiku has ever won his own state of Adamawa.

Secondly, Atiku lacks grassroots support. The thing with grassroots support is that it is something money can not buy. As a grassroots politician, people would be willing to use their own personal resources to push your cause.

Atiku has had several chances to endear himself to the masses, but he's consistently bungled that. This current government has made several foolish mistakes and insensitive decisions. Have you heard Atiku say anything in defence of the people who are potential voters? No. But once election time comes, he finds his voice. You saw Atiku almost sleeping in the SE during the last election. When last did you see him there? When last did he visit senior SE leaders?

Atiku only plays only election politics and that is why he would keep losing till infinity. Sensible politicians endear themselves to their people and those people are the ones who are voters. Atiku needs to learn how to play politics. There is more to politics than bribing delegates and paying bloggers to promote rubbish.

82 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by ledaman: 5:55am On Aug 10, 2020
Self centred man!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by Pavore9: 5:56am On Aug 10, 2020
We all have seasons.
Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by Osamagioghowewi(m): 5:56am On Aug 10, 2020
C
Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:57am On Aug 10, 2020
MrMcJay:

The problem Atiku has is that he has a perception problem. He has been tagged as a thief and he hasn't done enough to shed that tag. Obasanjo gazetted him as a thief in a Federal Government Gazette before the court ruled that it was illegal. However, Atiku himself hasn't done much to shed that.

Secondly, Atiku lacks grassroots support. The thing with grassroots support is that it is something money can not buy. As a grassroots politician, people would be willing to use their own personal resources to push your cause. Atiku has had several chances to endear himself to the masses, but he's consistently bungled that.
Well said.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by olaideeeedris(m): 5:58am On Aug 10, 2020
He was able to retire them from politics may be because they had skeletons in their cupboards. Obasanjo himself is no saint and it is pretty obvious that he is UNARRESTABLE but one thing I know for sure is that EVERYONE WILL DIE

1 Like

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:58am On Aug 10, 2020
fykes:
Atiku to agree to becoming a governor of Adamawa?!
Same Atiku?!
Like seriously?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by PataAlhaja(m): 6:04am On Aug 10, 2020
The vainglorious, holier-than-thou, incestuous, daughter-in-law-fucking old fool tried to kill Buhari's career too but him power no reach.

Overrated, ungrateful akotileta!

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by adenigga(m): 6:04am On Aug 10, 2020
The intonation of this article speaks volumes.

Please, do me a favour! Juxtapose Obasanjo' administration with the current administration and the one before Obasanjo, I mean during the first & Second republics.

Then draw your conclusion objectively.

Thanks!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by MrMcJay(m): 6:05am On Aug 10, 2020
Obasanjo wanted to end Tinubu's political career also. The problem was that Tinubu had his people behind him 100%.

When Obasanjo was President and Tinubu was Gov of Lagos, Obasanjo wanted to hold a rally in Lagos and on the day of the rally, all the transport unions in Lagos went on strike. Obasanjo's rally was a terrible flop.

The second time Obasanjo wanted to hold a rally in Lagos, Obanikoro was the PDP guber candidate and Bode George was the PDP leader in Lagos. On the day of the rally, Tinubu fixed 4 mega rallies in the 4 political axes of Lagos (Ikorodu, Epe, Alimosho and Badagry). PDP didn't see crowd to hire and the rally was a disgrace. Obasanjo and Obanikoro were forced to go into Ketu market and Mile 12 market to campaign.

It was a very humiliating experience for Obasanjo as a sitting President. Obasanjo never forgave Bode George for the humiliation he suffered in Tinubu's hands.

55 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by fdigital(m): 6:07am On Aug 10, 2020
Thank God,Atiaku never win election.Nah so he for
make his FRIENDS more RICH and the POOR POORER

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by sammyj: 6:08am On Aug 10, 2020
grin grin grin Ebora Baba himself. The political giant killer should be added to his name !!! shocked shocked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by kalu61(m): 6:09am On Aug 10, 2020
fykes:
After contesting for presidency, being a VP and all his wealth should belittle himself to governoship slot. Even though l believe it can be a way to enter the equation again but it's belittling

20 Likes

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by sammyj: 6:10am On Aug 10, 2020
Baba was truly in charge not like the confused toothless baba we have in power now shocked angry.
Oblongata:

Baba was in charge!

2 Likes

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by kalu61(m): 6:10am On Aug 10, 2020
MrMcJay:
Obasanjo wanted to end Tinubu's political career also. The problem was that Tinubu had his people behind him 100%.
The problem was Atiku who was given the mission to eliminate Tinubu spared him for reasons best known to him

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by braveboy64(m): 6:10am On Aug 10, 2020
He almost killed Fayose politically

OBJ is now claiming Saint these days

The money allocated for electricity, we only heard about it we didn't see or feel the impact

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by MrMcJay(m): 6:12am On Aug 10, 2020
kalu61:
The problem was Atiku who was given the mission to eliminate Tinubu spared him for reasons best known to him

Atiku couldn't do jack to Tinubu. Young Arebamen was CP Lagos at that time and when he got the instruction from Abuja as regards Tinubu, he informed Timubu and Tinubu was at alert.

When Tinubu outsmarted Atiku and OBJ, Arebamen was retired from the Police and Tinubu created LASTMA and made Arebamen head LASTMA.

Tinubu has an unnatural ability of making people loyal to him and he rewards loyalty heavily. That is why even opposition politicians in PDP try to be loyal to Tinubu because they know they would need him one day.

66 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by kalu61(m): 6:12am On Aug 10, 2020
MrMcJay:

Atiku couldn't do Jack to Tinubu.
l will not argue with you. Go and read up
Re: Atiku, Odili, Na’abba — The Political Careers Obasanjo Killed by Akapito: 6:13am On Aug 10, 2020
Hmm

1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

#endsars: Northern Elders Disown Ango Abdullahi Over Statement Against Igbo / Ibarapa Youths Storm Makinde’s Office, Protest Against Insecurity (Photo) / Abdulrasheed Bawa: EFCC Recovered Over ₦1 Billion Naira From A Civil Servant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.