Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,799 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

Should Bad Parenting Be Blamed For Childhood Obesity? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Bad Parenting Be Blamed For Childhood Obesity? (366 Views)

BAD PARENTING: Mother Twerks Live In Front Of Her Baby (VIDEO) / Good or bad parenting: Young Boy Steals Meat And Blames Devil For It / #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Bad Parenting Be Blamed For Childhood Obesity? by xynerise: 9:12am On Aug 11, 2020
Can a child be born obese?

I have seen a lot of children looking like the logo of Michelin Tyre at a tender age and I begin to ask myself what were the parents thinking seeing them growing up obese? Do they see it as healthy living or they are too unfocused to do something about it?

Some of these kids consume a large number of chocolates and other sugar-coated dairy products like it's water not minding the long run effect on their health.

Should the parents be blamed for this unhealthy practice or some children are just too difficult to control when it comes to high consumption of food?

Lalasticlala

Re: Should Bad Parenting Be Blamed For Childhood Obesity? by DontBullshitMe: 9:23am On Aug 11, 2020
Genetics play a role too.
Re: Should Bad Parenting Be Blamed For Childhood Obesity? by xynerise: 9:25am On Aug 11, 2020
DontBullshitMe:
Genetics play a role too.

That was my first question. So it is possible to be born obese? And can't that be controlled as the baby grows up?
Re: Should Bad Parenting Be Blamed For Childhood Obesity? by Amanee(f): 9:53am On Aug 11, 2020
Most times, the parents are negligent and allow their kids eat whatever they want. In their mind, it's baby fat that will slough off naturally with age. Most times, they're dead wrong.
Re: Should Bad Parenting Be Blamed For Childhood Obesity? by Mindlog: 9:56am On Aug 11, 2020
xynerise:

That was my first question. So it is possible to be born obese? And can't that be controlled as the baby grows up?

Reduced screen time, exercising and diet modifications would help the child lose weight.

3 Likes

Re: Should Bad Parenting Be Blamed For Childhood Obesity? by xynerise: 9:58am On Aug 11, 2020
Mindlog:

Reduced screen time, exercising and diet modifications would help the child lose weight.

I know there is a way out but look around you, we have so many obese kids, especially the rich people grin
Re: Should Bad Parenting Be Blamed For Childhood Obesity? by Mindlog: 10:06am On Aug 11, 2020
xynerise:

I know there is a way out but look around you, we have so many obese kids, especially the rich people grin

Though obesity can be hereditary, permissive parenting is also behind it as some parents of these obese kids finds it difficult to say NO to their kids' request for unhealthy food nor are they intentional in addressing their sedentary lifestyle.
Re: Should Bad Parenting Be Blamed For Childhood Obesity? by iyatrustee(f): 10:22am On Aug 11, 2020
Most times, the parents of obese kids have fat genes transfered to the kids such that even without consuming all those things you mentioned in excess, they will still be obese.
Re: Should Bad Parenting Be Blamed For Childhood Obesity? by xynerise: 10:30am On Aug 11, 2020
iyatrustee:
Most times, the parents of obese kids have fat genes transfered to the kids such that even without consuming all those things you mentioned in excess, they will still be obese.

How about control?
Re: Should Bad Parenting Be Blamed For Childhood Obesity? by ImaIma1(f): 2:16pm On Aug 11, 2020
It could be genes and it could also be negligence or over loving.

I know a child that was so overweight at about age 4. She used to finish one whole pack of 5 alive in one sitting.

When parents have this mindset that they want to give their children what they didn't have growing up, that could be a problem.

(1) (Reply)

Is This What Makes A Man A MAN? / Cheap Plots Of Land For Sale At Anambra State(don't Miss This) / 3bedroom Semi Detached Bungalow Selling At Lekki For 10m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.