Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:17 AM

#DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? (18006 Views)

Good or bad parenting: Young Boy Steals Meat And Blames Devil For It / Is My Mom To Blame For The Irresponsibility Of A 26 Year Old lady? / Who Is To Blame For Moral Decadence Among Our Youths: Parents Or Teachers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

#DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by ModelLook(m): 10:03am On Dec 04, 2021
Looking at this Dowen College Saga.

How these evil young secondary school boys run a CULT group in the school and killed an innocent JSS1 boy.

How the parents quickly hide them from persecution.

How the school are covering the story up and hiding the identity of the boys and parents.

I am beginning to wonder, who is to blame for this whole situation.

Is it THE PARENTS OR THE SCHOOL?

Some people say Bad Parenting is the genesis of it all because if the parents are training their children well, small secondary school kids of ages 11 to 16 shouldn't know anything that has to do with CULTISM at that age.

Some say Bad School training is the genesis. That the school is meant to train the students well and eradicate anything unlawfull in it. After all, the parents are paying huge sums of money for that.

Some say none are to blame?

After all, Train up a Child in the way he should go.

To you, who is to blame in this case. Is it Bad Parenting or Bad School Training

What are your thoughts?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Nobody: 10:16am On Dec 04, 2021
89% of the blame goes to the school while 11% goes to the parents for not acting fast.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by ModelLook(m): 10:20am On Dec 04, 2021
Iyaebe:
89% of the blame goes to the school while 11% goes to the parents for not acting fast.

But if the Parents had trained their children well from the start, don't you think there won't be anything like CULTISM being practised by them in the first place.

After all, charity begins at home.

A well brought up child shouldn't even think of anything related to Cultism at that age.

134 Likes 4 Shares

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by donbachi(m): 10:39am On Dec 04, 2021
I will give it to peer pressure.yes!

A good kid from a good home,with good parenting,in a good school.can meet bad eggs.that can lure them into some shiits.in the name of friendship.

78 Likes 4 Shares

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Peebaby93: 11:31am On Dec 04, 2021
I blame both the school and the parent.
Firstly the parent..how will your child school call you to come pick up your child that he broke his leg,on getting to the school you were met with how sylvester was looking and you kept quiet? Until the child died you now came out to speak up.all through the term,did you not go to check up on the child welfare? As a prayerful parent God must have shown you that something is wrong but you ignored cos of chasing money for big fees.

Secondly the school....how can a school tell me that they didn't know that students practices cultism inside it premises.how can the school say they don't know this kids? where the hostel keepers, cleaners,teachers etc not hearing the shout and cry of that child when they tortured him?....the school needs proper investigation

And as for those erring kids whom their parents are shielding..the table will turn and they will be the next victims since they couldn't correct their kids.

We will give account one day

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Nemesis0147(m): 12:07pm On Dec 04, 2021
I blame the school/peer pressure because those kids spend much of their days and time in school.

7 Likes

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Saintmary(f): 1:47pm On Dec 04, 2021
Both the parents and the school failed the boy.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Hathor5(f): 1:53pm On Dec 04, 2021
ModelLook:

But if the Parents had trained their children well from the start, don't you think there won't be anything like CULTISM being practised by them in the first place.

After all, charity begins at home.

A well brought up child shouldn't even think of anything related to Cultism at that age.

Some people turn bad even though they grew up in good homes.

Some parents have several children and one of them decides to be useless even tough the others are good. How do you explain that?

7 Likes

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by brain54(m): 3:03pm On Dec 04, 2021
A thread for trading blames.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Dec 04, 2021
ModelLook:
Looking at this Dowen College Saga.

How these evil young secondary school boys run a CULT group in the school and killed an innocent JSS1 boy.

How the parents quickly hide them from persecution.

How the school are covering the story up and hiding the identity of the boys and parents.

I am beginning to wonder, who is to blame for this whole situation.

Is it THE PARENTS OR THE SCHOOL?

Some people say Bad Parenting is the genesis of it all because if the parents are training their children well, small secondary school kids of ages 11 to 16 shouldn't know anything that has to do with CULTISM at that age.

Some say Bad School training is the genesis. That the school is meant to train the students well and eradicate anything unlawfull in it. After all, the parents are paying huge sums of money for that.

Some say none are to blame?

After all, Train up a Child in the way he should go.

To you, who is to blame in this case. Is it Bad Parenting or Bad School Training

What are your thoughts?

I blame the parent for putting their wards in a boarding school in this lawless, immoral and religious society.

I blame the school management for allowing this heinous act to happen and subsequently trying to cover it up.

I blame the idiots that killed this innocent kid. This is Nigeria and I can bet my left balls they will get away with this.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Magnoliaa(f): 3:59pm On Dec 04, 2021
brain54:
A thread for trading blames.

Lol. Soo what is your own perspective? What would you rather see be done?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by NoToPile: 4:08pm On Dec 04, 2021
Bad parenting on the part of the parents of the 3 evil boys who carried out this act, maybe if they were properly trained they wouldn't be so evil.

Negligence on the part of the school, how in the world would the school claim they do t know high level bullying is happening right under their noses, it's a private school and they are paying well they have no excuse. Kids went into the room and beat up a boy so badly and the house master was not aware? What then were the parents paying for?

Lack of discipline on the part of the school, fear of losing rich students, these students must have been reported before

Most private schools are just after the money, anything that will make a parent withdraw a child lots avoid it. It's all about the money money money.

I hope some schools will learn now and expel unruly students before they commit offences that will lead to situations like this, everything is not about losing students if a student is unruly and can cause potential harm send him back to his parents shikena.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by brain54(m): 5:19pm On Dec 04, 2021
Magnoliaa:

Lol. Soo what is your own perspective? What would you rather see be done?
Getting justice for the innocent life cut short is what matters right now. A thorough investigation should be done and all those found culpable should face the law.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by MMotimo: 7:11pm On Dec 04, 2021
“School training “ should not be a thing. This is where a lot of people get it wrong, especially with Naija boarding schools. Training a child is first and foremost a parental responsibility. It is not the duty of the school, neighbours, society, other family members, etc.

The same people that are not ready to train their kids are the same ones that want to birth 4,5,6. . . . . If you are not ready to train your kids in the ways of right and wrong, do society a favour and don’t have them.

Training kids takes time and effort, not just money. If pursuing money means you can’t raise your kids right, then don’t have them! If you’re not pursuing money but you just don’t have the inclination/ability to train your children, don’t have them just so that you can unleash them on society. Only God knows how Nairaland’s child rape convict, Oyinbogoju/Powerhouse5050 was raised.

I just saw a thread, someone was asking whether to do food business or yahoo. That tells you that there is something fundamentally wrong with his upbringing. This is someone who seriously thinks criminal activity is a valid money making business, to the extent of seeking public opinion about choosing between a legitimate and illegitimate venture.

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by sisisioge: 8:41pm On Dec 04, 2021
It starts from the home. How can parents raise kids who have no empathy for their fellow kids? How can parents raise children evil enough to administer poisonous content to a fellow human being? They broke his legs.....the poor boy would have been crying at the discomfort, yet they persisted! Wow! Demons must have been living in those kids and they should be taken off the society biko for everyone's safety.

As for the school, they dropped the ball and tried to cover up. How could they leave kids without adequate supervision? Isnt that what the parents are paying so much for? What kind of discipline do they instill in their wards? Schools should never tolerate bullying! It should be a NO! So I understand that they were trying to do damage control by lying and getting the culprits out of the way. They knew if they went down,they go down as well. I hope all those careless schools are learning. One foolish mistake could crumble all your entity! They should be perpetually closed down and greatly sued for their lapse in the duty of care they owe their wards and parents!

As for the deceased parents and loved ones....may God comfort they. Parents should never bury their children. It is well. Rest on baby Sylvester.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by sisisioge: 8:48pm On Dec 04, 2021
MMotimo:
“School training “ should not be a thing. This is where a lot of people get it wrong, especially with Naija boarding schools. Training a child is first and foremost a parental responsibility. It is not the duty of the school, neighbours, society, other family members, etc.

The same people that are not ready to train their kids are the same ones that want to birth 4,5,6. . . . . If you are not ready to train your kids in the ways of right and wrong, do society a favour and don’t have them.

Training kids takes time and effort, not just money. If pursuing money means you can’t raise your kids right, then don’t have them! If you’re not pursuing money but you just don’t have the inclination/ability to train your children, don’t have them just so that you can unleash them on society. Only God knows how Nairaland’s child rape convict, Oyinbogoju/Powerhouse5050 was raised.

I just saw a thread, someone was asking whether to do food business or yahoo. That tells you that there is something fundamentally wrong with his upbringing. This is someone who seriously thinks criminal activity is a valid money making business, to the extent of seeking public opinion about choosing between a legitimate and illegitimate venture.

My sister, I couldn't help crying.....it is so sad. Do you know that some parents are wary of correcting their erring kids in this same Nigeria? As in they dont want to get in that situation where they put their feet down and get the kids corrected because they dont want to seem to hash on their lovely kids. No one is saying you bring back those abusive beatings we took from our parents but hey....the good old rod will always discourage bad behaviour. See now....see our society, see the leaders we are breeding for tomorrow. Children are supposed to be sweet and innocent fa....people are now raising cold blooded killers! May God help us.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Hathor5(f): 8:58pm On Dec 04, 2021
sisisioge:

My sister, I couldn't help crying.....it is so sad. Do you know that some parents are wary of correcting their erring kids in this same Nigeria? As in they dont want to get in that situation where they put their feet down and get the kids corrected because they dont want to seem to hash on their lovely kids. No one is saying you bring back those abusive beatings we took from our parents but hey....the good old rod will always discourage bad behaviour. See now....see our society, see the leaders we are breeding for tomorrow. Children are supposed to be sweet and innocent fa....people are now raising cold blooded killers! May God help us.

How do we know their parents didn't discipline, correct or even beat them?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by sisisioge: 9:26pm On Dec 04, 2021
Hathor5:

Because of the dastard act they committed. Do you know that behaviours are shaped by the consequences we ascribe to their outcomes? Children who have been taken through the principle of behavioural reinforcement will already know that there would be consequences for their ill actions. For those who have been getting away with their ill behaviours, they tend to continue in that fashion.

For example, those kids broke their fellow kid's legs knowing fully well that that kind of injury could not be hidden, they left bruises on his body....they feed him poison...haaa, dont you think if they knew they would be purnished for melting torture on their colleague they would still have done it? They probably have done so.ething like this before and were not reprimand.

Back in the days, it was a taboo for my sister and I to fight....when we fight, we get beaten regardless of who was in the wrong. We were conditioned to expect punishment for acts of violence....as such, I grew up disliking violence. I will rather discuss the matter or completely avoid it as if my mom will still beat me if I fight. It is well.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Johnman400: 9:27pm On Dec 04, 2021
This video is very important you must watch this if you want to live in council shared or private house subscribe comments and share....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WN3B4pTPqY
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Hathor5(f): 11:24pm On Dec 04, 2021
sisisioge:

Because of the dastard act they committed. Do you know that behaviours are shaped by the consequences we ascribe to their outcomes? Children who have been taken through the principle of behavioural reinforcement will already know that there would be consequences for their ill actions. For those who have been getting away with their ill behaviours, they tend to continue in that fashion.

For example, those kids broke their fellow kid's legs knowing fully well that that kind of injury could not be hidden, they left bruises on his body....they feed him poison...haaa, dont you think if they knew they would be purnished for melting torture on their colleague they would still have done it? They probably have done so.ething like this before and were not reprimand.

Back in the days, it was a taboo for my sister and I to fight....when we fight, we get beaten regardless of who was in the wrong. We were conditioned to expect punishment for acts of violence....as such, I grew up disliking violence. I will rather discuss the matter or completely avoid it as if my mom will still beat me if I fight. It is well.

I have friends and know kids who have not been beaten once and would never inflict such pain on another human being. This lack of empathy is not the result of a violence free upbringing but rather the result of it. But who knows ...

1 Like

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Magnoliaa(f): 11:29pm On Dec 04, 2021
Hathor5:

This is an angle I'm interested in as well. Although, in the case of those particular boys, IF THE SPECULATIONS ARE TRUE, that one of the boy's parents came to pick him up and to fly him out, and the others are hiding the other kids - then there is every reason to believe the parents are culpable here. And even breed such behaviours in their kids. I cannot imagine covering for a child like that. This is criminal. The parents should have come out or clean, releasing their kids to the authorities or reaching to the victim's parents, assuming their kids ran away and they don't know of their whereabouts? Just anything to show that they are not in support of their children's acts or whatever, assuming they were the kinds who just so happened to have kids who went the bad side despite all discipline and good training.

From all indications, the parents in question have done none of the above. Who are they? I mean, look at what Ireti Doyle did concerning her own swindler daughter too. She came out to disassociate herself from the girl, so that people can see that, 'Look oh, this is what my child did and I'm not in support.' And a good parent would go further to be open, looking for means to help the victims find closure. 'Here's my child. I'm handing him over for killing someone. Oh, I don't know where my child is, but I'll do everything within my power to flush him out, maybe cut off some things I'm providing for him. I'm ready to work with the authorities. Oh, thank God you've caught my son. Yes. Let him be arrested and tried. Let him face the law and the consequences for his actions. I have the money and means to help him, but I won't...' You get. Just DIFFERENT ways the kind of parents you're talking about might have acted. If they are good parents and were efficient, but had kids who still went awry by virtue of their nature, then they should do right by the society and their neighbors by handing over such kids. For punishment. For correction. For reproof. That is what is right and just and ethical. Since it's gone beyond a civil matter, or slight misunderstandings, and has resulted in the death of another individual and a significant threat to the society (cultism), then consanguineal and parental/maternal/paternal feelings of protection should have nothing to do with the issue anymore.

brain54:
Getting justice for the innocent life cut short is what matters right now. A thorough investigation should be done and all those found culpable should face the law.

Lol. They don't have to be mutually exclusive? But no problem if you see it as a blame fest rather than a discourse and means of sharing perspectives that'll throw more light on the phenomenon. Do we just keep administering justice on and on and on that takes time, resources, manpower, etc., if the bad behaviours necessitating the justice can be reduced and addressed?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Hathor5(f): 11:34pm On Dec 04, 2021
Magnoliaa:

This is an angle I'm interested in as well. Although, in the case of those particular boys, IF THE SPECULATIONS ARE TRUE, that one of the boy's parents came to pick him up and to fly him out, and the others are hiding the other kids - then there is every reason to believe the parents are culpable here. And even breed such behaviours in their kids. I cannot imagine covering for a child like that. This is criminal. The parents should have come out or clean, releasing their kids to the authorities or reaching to the victim's parents, assuming their kids ran away and they don't know of their whereabouts? Just anything to show that they are not in support of their children's acts or whatever, assuming they were the kinds who just so happened to have kids who went the bad side despite all discipline and good training.

From all indications, the parents in question have done none of the above. Who are they? I mean, look at what Ireti Doyle did concerning her own swindler daughter too. She came out to disassociate herself from the girl, so that people can see that, 'Look oh, this is what my child did and I'm not in support.' And a good parent would go further to be open, looking for means to help the victims find closure. 'Here's my child. I'm handing him over for killing someone. Oh, I don't know where my child is, but I'll do everything within my power to flush him out, maybe cut off some things I'm providing for him. I'm ready to work with the authorities. Oh, thank God you've caught my son. Yes. Let him be arrested and tried. Let him face the law and the consequences for his actions. I have the money and means to help him, but I won't...' You get. Just DIFFERENT ways the kind of parents you're talking about might have acted. If they are good parents and were efficient, but had kids who still went awry by virtue of their nature, then they should do right by the society and their neighbors by handing over such kids. For punishment. For correction. For reproof. That is what is right and just and ethical. Since it's gone beyond a civil matter, or slight misunderstandings, and has resulted in the death of another individual and a significant threat to the society (cultism), then consanguineal and parental/maternal/paternal feelings of protection should have nothing to do with the issue anymore.

I agree.

What I disagree with is that you need to beat kids to instill values in them and to teach them empathy.

3 Likes

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Magnoliaa(f): 11:59pm On Dec 04, 2021
Hathor5:
I agree.

What I disagree with is that you need to beat kids to instill values in them and to teach them empathy.

That one is tricky. And I don't know if there can be a constructive and positive beating oh, but yeah, I get if there are other means of training kids, effective ways actually, they should be employed. Beating is a lazy, quick-fix cop out. Because if the same goal can be achieved without beating, then what is the point?

The Nigerian style of parenting is a unique style that is funny to watch. I think they are permissive authoritarians, sort of. Thing is, both authoritarian parenting and permissive parenting will lead to issues like this, but trust the pro-authoritarians to conflate authoritativeness with permissiveness. And believing that it is not beating children - a foreign style - that is the reason for this. Meanwhile, beating children, asin torturing them and leaving them be (no beating, no shouts, no rules, zilch) will both cause issues like these as far as I'm concerned. Just two sides of a coin.

A question: do you personally believe there should be ZERO beating? Or you believe there are some cases, rare instances, where the cane would be justified? What do you make of the 'spare the rod, spoil the child' phrase? Also, what do you think of a stranger correcting a child? Whether the parents are around or not - is that right at all?
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Sonnobax15(m): 12:30am On Dec 05, 2021
lipsrsealed
Charity begins at home..

It obviously shows how the parents have failed woefully on their own parts......

1 Like

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Oyindamolah: 3:25am On Dec 05, 2021
sad
Iyaebe:
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by MMotimo: 3:27am On Dec 05, 2021
sisisioge:

It’s beyond sad, it’s a Nigeria that many of us could never have imagined.
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by MMotimo: 4:06am On Dec 05, 2021
Magnoliaa:

A question: do you personally believe there should be ZERO beating? Or you believe there are some cases, rare instances, where the cane would be justified? What do you make of the 'spare the rod, spoil the child' phrase? Also, what do you think of a stranger correcting a child? Whether the parents are around or not - is that right at all?

I know you didn’t ask me but permit me to respond to this.

There might be exceptions but I believe that zero beating would work well for the vast majority of kids if parents provided adequate support in other areas. From personal experience, we’ve practiced almost zero beating in raising our kids. Each child has probably only received one or two spankings in their lifetimes and they were all thanks to me. A big part of the lack of spanking with our kids is that they easily responded to verbal reprimands so any spanking would have been overkill. Beating is often more an expression of a parent’s frustration.

I have come to interpret the “spare the rod, spoil the child “ in a non literal manner. The rod , IMO, is not just a physical cane, it is all the things you can “spare” that can end up damaging a child’s psyche. Moral, emotional, spiritual, financial support are all “rods” that parents cannot afford to spare in order to avoid damaging “spoiling” the child and creating monsters. Our society is quick to jump on the literal, popular meaning while neglecting a slew of other supports needed to raise well-adjusted kids that are not “spoilt.” Spoiling the child is not only avoided by spanking. Actual progress is supplying what it takes to parent a child in all spheres. For example, spanking a child for chronic theft makes no sense if you have not provided food and the basic necessities PLUS taught the concept of contentment.

As for strangers correcting, depends on the type of correction. Physical is an absolute no-no. I would never put my hands on someone’s kids, even nieces and nephews and I expect others to keep their hand off my kids. With that said, depending on the circumstances and the age of the child, I might say something but never to a child whose parents I do not know unless it was a controlled setting like me teaching in a Sunday school class or some other sort of parent supervision setting where I’m volunteering. I would not reprimand the child of a total stranger outside of those settings.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Richy4(m): 5:43am On Dec 05, 2021
In my opinion, I think bad parenting was to be blamed..

Some kids are really problematic from home... Most times parent with problematic kids feels like boarding school is their best option to send a problematic child just to shift blame.. Since they have the fund, and the school needed the fund.. they took anyone in irrespective of the kids behaviour

For example, there was a time that a seminary school for boys was established in my home town... It started from JS1.. this kids were supper nice.. They came to church in their sparkling white outfits...

When some of the super Rich parents in my community with problematic kids saw how well mannered these kids were, They sent their kids with hope that they will have good behaviour as well...Not knowing that they were there to corrupt the others..

Before the school could turn out Senior students, We started seeing them smoking, and doing other things not meant for kids that age... Infact the changes was massive..

So how do u think a school in need of funds can change a kid whose parents dumped in school to avoid massive embarrassment?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by MMotimo: 6:02am On Dec 05, 2021
Hathor5:

Similar to another sentiment that says your kids have to suffer for them to be emotionally strong and for them to be appreciative of their privilege/advantages. #urbanmyths

1 Like

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by brain54(m): 7:36am On Dec 05, 2021
Magnoliaa:

Lol. They don't have to be mutually exclusive? But no problem if you see it as a blame fest rather than a discourse and means of sharing perspectives that'll throw more light on the phenomenon. Do we just keep administering justice on and on and on that takes time, resources, manpower, etc., if the bad behaviours necessitating the justice can be reduced and addressed?
We can't just sit on the outside and blame the parents for not training their kids well enough. No one here can determine that. No one knows the extent the parents have gone to instill discipline. In the end humans especially kids will decide to accept or not. Using the Bible can we say God didn't tell Adam and Eve the right things to do? But they still went ahead to disobey didn't they?
The school management may have been wrong in trying to cover up these things to protect their business but we can't say they didn't do enough to prevent this situation. Until an unbiased investigation is done. You can put every right measure in place. But things might go south in just a split second. What am I saying...if this blame game is done on a general case study I have no problems with it. But we can't just conclude from afar on this particular case until we have the particular details.
As for the other issues you raised with the other guy. Personally I like to put myself in a situation before passing judgement. I think those parents are only doing what every average parent of teenagers especially Nigerians will do in trying to protect their kids. This is murder we talking of here o. Right or wrong it's just the response most parents would take. If you were the one you would bring your probably 14 15 or 16 year old to the public to be castigated?
These things are questions we must look at before passing blames. Personally I feel it's too easy just sitting with our keyboards and passing blames. You will never understand how the shoe pinches until you wear it.
Let us just focus on justice for the boy. And leave this talk. Except we make this a general case study and not a discuss on this particular incident. Until we know the specific details. Peace.

3 Likes

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Hathor5(f): 9:18am On Dec 05, 2021
MMotimo:

Similar to another sentiment that says your kids have to suffer for them to be emotionally strong and for them to be appreciative of their privilege/advantages. #urbanmyths

Yep.

It's like saying that you first need to damage your car for it to drive better. undecided
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Hathor5(f): 9:29am On Dec 05, 2021
Magnoliaa:

That one is tricky. And I don't know if there can be a constructive and positive beating oh, but yeah, I get if there are other means of training kids, effective ways actually, they should be employed. Beating is a lazy, quick-fix cop out. Because if the same goal can be achieved without beating, then what is the point?

You have actually said it all here. This is how I see it. But let me respond to your questions.

The Nigerian style of parenting is a unique style that is funny to watch. I think they are permissive authoritarians, sort of. Thing is, both authoritarian parenting and permissive parenting will lead to issues like this, but trust the pro-authoritarians to conflate authoritativeness with permissiveness. And believing that it is not beating children - a foreign style - that is the reason for this. Meanwhile, beating children, asin torturing them and leaving them be (no beating, no shouts, no rules, zilch) will both cause issues like these as far as I'm concerned. Just two sides of a coin.

It is best to do without beating but I can understand when parents reach their limit and out of frustration spank a toddler mildly. Kids can drive you crazy when you are stressed. It should be an exception though. The spanking is a symptom here that something is out of order and not a sensible solution.

I think the 'spare the rod, spoil the child' phrase has been abused for too long and is an excuse for parents to be lazy and abusive in their parenting style.

A stranger can correct a child as in reprimand it but should never lay his or her hands on someone else's child.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Sisi Quadri Biography: Wife, Age, Net Worth, Cause Of Death / Man Beats His Sister For Trying To Stop Him From Cheating On His Wife / On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.