Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,831 members, 7,817,430 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments (28920 Views)

South-East Lost N4trn In 2 Years To Sit-At-Home Order - Deputy Speaker, Ben Kalu / Rivers, Kano, Abia… 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 2022 / APC Crisis: How Anti-Oshiomhole Governors Lost Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by Xzellentgraphic: 8:52pm On Aug 12, 2020
plaindealer:

The usual blame game, how do you recognize your errors, take responsibility and draw up a plan to move forward and do better while you are you are handicapping yourself with the usual self pity, blaming other people and victim mentality.

Your leaders are part of the FG, they are also members of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) where they approve projects and money for projects, so going by your rant, your leaders in the SE deliberately fail to build Federal Government infrastructure in the South East for four decades.

BTW, what was ZIK doing in the Easter region when Awolowo was designing and building industrial estates in the Western region?

He was praying and fasting ....lol
Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by Onlinesmart: 8:53pm On Aug 12, 2020
okpukpu:
How can South East perform well in FDI when federal government itself is so harsh to the region. Theres nothing that brings other Nigerian to the east. The only federal presence in the east is Prison. Still on still, i blame our leaders.
Federal government ignored your region because you made it seem as if you could do things on your own without external interferences hence the hate from your people to the rest of the country. To every action, there's always a reaction.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by pquaver(m): 8:53pm On Aug 12, 2020
alizma:

You are right

Are you now comparing yourself to the so called Almajiri? Hmmm
Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by Kennydoc(m): 8:54pm On Aug 12, 2020
This article is simply meaningless and useless. Why the emphasis on the South East with 0.22% when other regions are not necessarily doing great?

South South had only 0.5% of the investments despite their proximity to the sea and having some of the richest states in Nigeria like Rivers, Delta etc.

North East and North West have less than 0.05% each, despite the Centre of Commerce of the North (Kano) being in the North West.

North Central has about 11.5% and that's mostly because of Abuja. Other North Central States like Benue, Kogi etc wouldn't have got much.

At the end, most of the investments went to Lagos and Ogun simply because Lagos has got the population, and is the commercial capital of Nigeria while Ogun is simply enjoying the overflow from Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by izubext007: 8:58pm On Aug 12, 2020
souht East wey be say every body wise. no mumu and still Lagos is still developed than all the south east state.
Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by totit: 8:59pm On Aug 12, 2020
Kennydoc:
This article is simply meaningless and useless. Why the emphasis on the South East with 0.22% when other regions are not necessarily doing great?

South South had only 0.5% of the investments despite their proximity to the sea and having some of the richest states in Nigeria like Rivers, Delta etc.

North East and North West have less than 0.05% each, despite the Centre of Commerce of the North (Kano) being in the North West.

North Central has about 11.5% and that's mostly because of Abuja. Other North Central States like Benue, Kogi etc wouldn't have got much.

At the end, most of the investments went to Lagos and Ogun simply because Lagos has got the population, and is the commercial capital of Nigeria while Ogun is simply enjoying the overflow from Lagos.

Erm, actually....

Comparative figures, as gleaned from NBS estimates, indicate that within the same period (2013 – 2020), other zones of the country received the following capital importation: Southwest $81,808,183,342.05 (87.70%wink; South-South, $470,688,204.67 (0.50%); North Central, $10,732,800,098.87 (11.51%); North east, $ 39,414,980.00 (0.04%); and Northwest, $29,959,790 (0.03%).

1 Like

Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by GeneralPula: 9:02pm On Aug 12, 2020
[s]
Maduawuchukwu:
From this article, even the North west attracted lesser investments than the Soutj East. Most of the investments coming into Nigeria ends up in the Lagos/Ogun axis. This is because of the Status of Lagos as Nigera's commercial capital and not as a result of any enabling environment put in place by the state governments. Lagos does not have an enabling environment for business. Look at how the LASG destroyed Gokada's business and is on track to hamper the operations of Uber and Bolt. Did the actions of the state Governement reflect one that consciously puts in place good government policies? Do all the harassment from touts and endless gridlocks reflect a government that is serious about promoting investments? Lagos attracts investment because of their status and not because of any State government policy. Ogun state is merely a beneficiary of proximity to Lagos.
[/s]
Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by Kennydoc(m): 9:02pm On Aug 12, 2020
totit:

Erm, actually....

Actually what? Isn't that 0.5%? I don't understand.
Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by proeast(m): 9:04pm On Aug 12, 2020
Angelfrost:
[s]I honestly don't get what the fuss of our Eastern people here is all about... Who doesn't know South East is behind in terms of foreign investments??! Is that supposed to be hidden knowledge??!...

When your region continues to condole poor leadership for so many years, what did you all expect??! When good roads, and simple basic infrastructure continue to be rocket science, how exactly do you expect to attract top businesses.

Come to even think of it, how many Easterners are actually willing to invest in their home states??!... There are far more Igbo big business owners setting up businesses far from the East than there are Westerners and Northerners doing such far from home!!!

I have said before, will keep saying it... IPOB, Ohaneze, APGA, etc, have got to call a conference, sit their 'wandering' asses down at a round table, and have a word with themselves! Other regions have left you people behind, and it isn't merely because you don't have one of your people in Aso Rock.

As the Good Book clearly states: "His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord." (Matt. 25:23)

The entire Igbo nation has what it takes to transform their states and communities into the classic developmental hub that will be envied by all, and pull nations down there in droves to do business... They should join hands and start, instead of constantly pointing fingers, sharing blames, while ironically and paradoxically developing other regions.[/s]

Bollocks!!!!!

I was carefully reading all the trash people are saying here about the SE and I couldn't but shake my head at the ignorance being exhibited.

Firstly, SE came 3rd out of 6 regions. Outperforming other regions that have 7 and 6 states!!

Secondly, who doesn't know that the useless FG have been frustrating FDI's that ought to have birthed in the SE?? To be honest, I'm even surprised that we came 3rd despite all these state sanctioned policies against the SE.

We all know that Abuja is responsible for the NC that got 11%. Likewise Lagos being responsible for the SW having that bogus figure. Forget about Ogun, it is only snapping up the overflow from Lagos.

However, my biggest disappointment is in the SS. With all the oil resources and ports, yet nothing to show for it.

The oppression against the SE is becoming unbearable and something will definitely give in the near future. The Enugu international airport has been closed for so long now. The rails has been built in other regions but non here. Every other region has several federal government agencies and institutions but SE has not even one!! A region that is heavily into commerce and business has no single dry port but NW and other regions have!!

Inasmuch as I'm not exonerating our governors, but aside the fat and iresponsible efulefu in Abia state, I don't think other regions have got better governors than those in the SE. Forget about the noise.

If the SE could come 3rd despite all the desperate wicked acts by the central government against us, imagine where we would be if only there is equal playing ground for all.

THANK GOD WE HAVE WHAT OTHERS CAN'T HAVE I.E THE GREATEST NUMBER OF LOCAL INVESTMENTS AND THE OPPORTUNITY TO TURN TRADING INTO MANUFACTURING cool

USELESS COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!

4 Likes

Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by totit: 9:06pm On Aug 12, 2020
Kennydoc:

Actually what? Isn't that 0.5%? I don't understand.

Dude, SE is 0.22% while SS is 0.50%. That's my point.
Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by plaindealer: 9:06pm On Aug 12, 2020
Kennydoc:

Lagos has a population of nearly 20 million people trapped within less than 4000km² area. Any investor that wants to make money from his business will first consider Lagos or somewhere very close to it (Ogun).

My dear, you guys should stop making noise about this. Lagos has got the population so it will attract the investments. People make investments for profit. Even an Igbo man will first consider siting his investment in Lagos before Anambra for the same reason.

Going by your population logic, why is 5 million population Akwa Ibom attracting investments left and right? Or Akwa Ibom is also close to Lagos like Ogun state?

Too many lame and ridiculous excuses..

3 Likes

Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by totit: 9:09pm On Aug 12, 2020
proeast:

Bollocks!!!!!

I was carefully reading all the trash people are saying here about the SE and I couldn't but shake my head at the ignorance being exhibited.

Firstly, SE came 3rd out of 6 regions. Outperforming other regions that have 7 and 6 states!!

Secondly, who doesn't know that the useless FG have been frustrating FDI's that ought to have birthed in the SE?? To be honest, I'm even surprised that we came 3rd despite all these state sanctioned policies against the SE.

We all know that Abuja is responsible for the NC that got 11%. Likewise Lagos being responsible for the SW having that bogus figure. Forget about Ogun, it is only snapping up the overflow from Lagos.

However, my biggest disappointment is in the SS. With all the oil resources and ports, yet nothing to show for it.

The oppression against the SE is becoming unbearable and something will definitely give in the near future. The Enugu international airport has been closed for so long now. The rails has been built in other regions but non here. Every other region has several federal government agencies and institutions but SE has not even one!! A region that is heavily into commerce and business has no single dry port but NW and other regions have!!

Inasmuch as I'm not exonerating our governors, but aside the fat and iresponsible efulefu in Abia state, I don't think other regions have got better governors than those in the SE. Forget about the noise.

If the SE could come 3rd despite all the desperate wicked acts by the central government against us, imagine where we would be if only there is equal playing ground for all.

THANK GOD WE HAVE WHAT OTHERS CAN'T HAVE I.E THE GREATEST NUMBER OF LOCAL INVESTMENTS AND THE OPPORTUNITY TO TURN TRADING INTO MANUFACTURING cool

USELESS COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!

Somebody said we should forget OGUN state and also called the stats, lagos ' bugus figures. grin grin grin

This one don lose am kpatakpata grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by totit: 9:11pm On Aug 12, 2020
plaindealer:

Going by your population logic, why is 5 million population Akwa Ibom attracting investments left and right? Or Akwa Ibom is also close to Lagos like Ogun state?

I guess you mean, SS.
grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by Kennydoc(m): 9:11pm On Aug 12, 2020
plaindealer:

Going by your population logic, why is 5 million population Akwa Ibom attracting investments left and right?
Or Akwa Ibom is also close to Lagos like Ogun state?

You're talking rubbish. What's the source of this statement you made in bold? Which investment is Akwa Ibom attracting?

The entire South South had only 0.5% of the FDI (while South East had 0.22%) and you're telling me Akwa Ibom is attracting investments left and right. Is our discussion no longer based on the original post?

Lagos is the commercial capital of Nigeria and has the largest market confined within a small area. It is a top investment choice for that reason alone.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by Kennydoc(m): 9:17pm On Aug 12, 2020
totit:

Dude, SE is .22% while SS is .50%. That's my point.

Did I ever imply that South East was higher than South South? I said other regions didn't necessarily do well.

If South South could only attract 0.5% despite having coastal states with sea ports, being oil producing states, having Rivers State which is the 2nd richest state in Nigeria, and having 6 states (instead of 5 states of South East), then nobody should abuse South East for attracting only 0.22%.

1 Like

Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by plaindealer: 9:18pm On Aug 12, 2020
maestroferddi:
How will you know what is happening elsewhere when your world begins with Ogbomosho and ends at Agege?

Go to Onitsha, Owerri and Abakaliki and see industrialization springing up like kilode despite the satanic marginalization of the region...

No right-thinking Igboman takes lazy Nigerian journalism seriously.

You people and false sense of realities and delusions sha..

grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:23pm On Aug 12, 2020
Chimookigwe:
[s][/s]

Even Shuna Ashebe did not type up to this before he started crying for a Nobel Prize.
When you are tired of typing worthless stories, you would go and carry headpan to pack the refuse at Aba and stop waiting for the others to clean your surroundings.
You are crying of marginalisation but tomorrow, you start making noise that you developed the whole world. Why don't you pick up a story and stick to it instead of showing diverse stupidity.

You’re a disgrace to your parents...and that’s putting it mildly! You were supposedly sent to school, but that didn’t help much with your comprehension and ability to form a well thought out opinion on issues!

You fool!! The success you see Ndigbo record the length and breath of Nigeria is inspite of the obvious marginalisation! Jeez!
Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by proeast(m): 9:25pm On Aug 12, 2020
totit:

Somebody said we should forget OGUN state and also called the stats, lagos ' bugus figures. grin grin grin

This one don lose am kpatakpata grin

Your problem is obviously inability to read and comprehend.

Yes, I said that Lagos is responsible for the SW bogus figure and that's an irrefutable fact!

Yes, I said that Ogun state is snapping the overflow from the over congested Lagos and that's an irrefutable fact too!!

So, what's your argument exactly??
Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by Nobody: 9:27pm On Aug 12, 2020
Kennydoc:

Like I don't understand the obsession with the SE.
Save SW(Lagos) and NC(Abuja); every other region performed poorly.
Look at SS with all her sea access,ports and oil wealth attracting just 0.5%. North west, the claimed most populated region in Nigeria, with 7 states!, Most of which are all individually bigger than the entire SE performed the worst. Coming below even war torn NE!
Shouldn't that be the most scandalous headline here.
But of course,it had to be narrowed down to the most controversial region in the country.
Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by totit: 9:28pm On Aug 12, 2020
Kennydoc:

Did I ever imply that South East was higher than South South? I said other regions didn't necessarily do well.

If South South could only attract 0.5% despite having coastal states with sea ports, being oil producing states, having Rivers State which is the 2nd richest state in Nigeria, and having 6 states (instead of 5 states of South East), then nobody should abuse South East for attracting only 0.22%.

You are partially right but not really as SS being being a rich or oil producing state isn't the factor here, it should be business friendly-environment or location.
Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by totit: 9:31pm On Aug 12, 2020
proeast:

Your problem is obviously inability to read and comprehend.

Yes, I said that Lagos is responsible for the SW bogus figure and that's an irrefutable fact!

Yes, I said that Ogun state is snapping the overflow from the over congested Lagos and that's an irrefutable fact too!!

So, what's your argument exactly??

So, the neighboring state to Anambra which happened to be the most industrialized state in the whole SE couldn't take a queue from her Lagos counterpart. grin

Audio man. You are known for your self-appraise and delusion mention on nairaland anyway. cheesy

1 Like

Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by plaindealer: 9:33pm On Aug 12, 2020
Kennydoc:

You're talking rubbish. What's the source of this statement you made in bold? Which investment is Akwa Ibom attracting?

The entire South South had only 0.5% of the FDI (while South East had 0.22%) and you're telling me Akwa Ibom is attracting investments left and right. Is our discussion no longer based on the original post?

Lagos is the commercial capital of Nigeria and has the largest market confined within a small area. It is a top investment choice for that reason alone.

I know your type..

grin grin
Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by Kennydoc(m): 9:33pm On Aug 12, 2020
Rgade:

Like I don't understand the obsession with the SE.
Save SW(Lagos) and NC(Abuja); every other region performed poorly.
Look at SS with all her sea access,ports and oil wealth attracting just 0.5%. North west, the claimed most populated region in Nigeria, with 7 states!, Most of which are all individually bigger than the entire SE performed the worst. Coming below even war torn NE!
Shouldn't that be the most scandalous headline here.
But of course,it had to be narrowed down to the most controversial region in the country.

Thank you bros. I just couldn't see any sense in the entire article, honestly.
Some people have seen it as an avenue to start attacking Igbos.

2 Likes

Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by proeast(m): 9:35pm On Aug 12, 2020
plaindealer:

I don't know why you guys from that side are fond of making dum.b and ridiculous posts.

Why are you comparing apples with oranges? Is Akwa Ibom not in the same SS that got 0.5% of the FDI?

Who doesn't know that Ogun is only gaining FDI due to its proximity to the already filled up Lagos?

Nigeria is a dysfunctional and sorry society where the rulers are as dum.b as the worst ret.ards. Otherwise tell me why they would be forcing virtually everything on Lagos, a state that is already topping the list of world's most miserable, congested and overpopulated cities when common sense should have made them to disperse key infrastructures and investments.

3 Likes

Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by Kennydoc(m): 9:35pm On Aug 12, 2020
totit:

You are partially right but not really as SS being being a rich or oil producing state isn't the factor here, it should be business friendly-environment or location.

The business friendly environment talk is all fluke. There is no difference between the South East and other regions. Lagos and Ogun did well cos of Lagos. North Central tried because of Abuja. All other states performed poorly. It's absolutely senseless to single out South East.

2 Likes

Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by Kennydoc(m): 9:39pm On Aug 12, 2020
plaindealer:

I know your type..

grin grin

You're only laughing at your idiocy. Argue within the limits of the original post.
Don't come here and tell me rubbish that Akwa Ibom is attracting investments left and right when it is completely irrelevant in the discussion.
Is there a mention of Akwa Ibom in the entire article?
How much investments did the South South attract?

2 Likes

Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by plaindealer: 9:42pm On Aug 12, 2020
Kennydoc:

You're only laughing at your idiocy. Argue within the limits of the original post.
Don't come here and tell me rubbish that Akwa Ibom is attracting investments left and right when it is completely irrelevant in the discussion.

I love a good argument, but not with you and your pointless and irrational views.
Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by totit: 9:42pm On Aug 12, 2020
Kennydoc:

The business friendly environment talk is all fluke. There is no difference between the South East and other regions. Lagos and Ogun did well cos of Lagos. North Central tried because of Abuja. All other states performed poorly. It's absolutely senseless to single out South East.

If it's about population you mean by lagos, is Lagos the most populated state in Nigeria?

If it's about being the former capital then why has Abuja failed in this regard?

When we talk about Lagos factor, what's this factor exactly, and how come Ogun state is now the most industrialized state, above Lagos? R
Keep in mind that SS is the most blessed region even above SW in terms of wealth. So, I really don't get this lagos factor that many and you talk about often. shocked

1 Like

Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by proeast(m): 9:44pm On Aug 12, 2020
totit:

So, the neighboring state to Anambra which happened to be the most industrialized state in the whole SE couldn't take a queue from her Lagos counterpart. grin

Audio man. You are known for your self-appraise and delusion mention on nairaland anyway. cheesy

Who told you that Anambra is the most industrialized state in the SE?

Also, is their any other state in Nigeria where everything is concentrated the way it is concentrated in Lagos?

Remove Ogun state from being next door to Lagos, and you will have another Osun. Replace it with Kogi state or any other random state and see if that state won't be in the same position where Ogun state is. Ask yourself, did any of the mediocre governors that ruled Ogun state do anything spectacular?

You people will see the truth and still be running around like headless chicken.

2 Likes

Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by Kennydoc(m): 9:45pm On Aug 12, 2020
plaindealer:

I love a good argument, but not with you and your pointless and irrational views.

Of course you have no clue of what rationality means, judging by your first response to me. If you were sensible, you would have seen that you flopped and kept silent.
Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by totit: 9:48pm On Aug 12, 2020
proeast:

Who told you that Anambra is the most industrialized state in the SE?

Also, is their any other state in Nigeria where everything is concentrated the way it is concentrated in Lagos?

Remove Ogun state from being next door to Lagos, and you will have another Osun. Replace it with Kogi state or any other random state and see if that state won't be in the same position where Ogun state is. Ask yourself, did any of the mediocre governors that ruled Ogun state do anything spectacular?

You people will see the truth and still be running around like headless chicken.

Well, grin. If it's not Anambra there got to be one state in the region that's most industrialized and yes, it doesn't matter which the 5 anyway. The truth and point I am driving at is, you can't give or claim what you don't have. grin

We should remove ogun and will we have another osun? Osun that top the least poverty-ridden above all your states combine?

Like I said, everything about you is delusion and poured out illogical reasoning. grin

2 Likes

Re: How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments by proeast(m): 9:51pm On Aug 12, 2020
totit:

If it's about population you mean by lagos, is Lagos the most populated state in Nigeria?

If it's about being the former capital then why has Abuja failed in this regard?

When we talk about Lagos factor, what's this factor exactly, and how come Ogun state is now the most industrialized state, above Lagos? R
Keep in mind that SS is the most blessed region even above SW in terms of wealth. So, I really don't get this lagos factor that many and you talk about often. shocked

How has Abuja failed in that regard when the same Abuja is responsible for North Central's 11% and second position?

Ask yourself, if Abuja that was created from a jungle yesterday is already rivaling Lagos, then what do you think will happen in the next couple of decades?

What made Abuja to become an investment hotbed if not because it is the federal capital? Did the native Gwaris do anything? So why are you denying that the federal capital status of Lagos for donkey years is not responsible for its pole position in the committee of states?

Now you guys are trying hard to rewrite history by claiming it's Yorubas that made Lagos what it is instead giving credit to where it is due. Maybe, the Gwaris will wake up in 2060 when Abuja would have surpassed Lagos and equally claim it was due to their efforts.

SMH!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

PDP Asks Buhari To Clarify Role In Massacre Of 300 Igbo Soldiers, Civilians / APC Moves To Stop Pdp’s Plot For Senate President / Zone Deputy To S/E Or I’ll Contest For Senate President ― Kalu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.