Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,740 members, 7,820,547 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

NFF Set To Retire Late Sam Okwaraji’s Jersey Number - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / NFF Set To Retire Late Sam Okwaraji’s Jersey Number (272 Views)

Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death / In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr / Meet The Mother Of Sam Okwaraji: "FG Has Abandoned" (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

NFF Set To Retire Late Sam Okwaraji’s Jersey Number by SportingRave: 9:23am On Aug 14, 2020
Nigeria Football Federation President, Amaju Pinnick has assured that he will pursue the implementation of the proposal made to retire the Jersey number six in honour of Samuel Sochukwuma Okwaraji whose death on August 12, 1989 in Lagos clocked 31 years yesterday.
Okwaraji who donned jersey number six for the then Green Eagles collapsed under his own weight in the 77th minute of the 1990 World Cup Qualifier against Angola at the National Stadium, Lagos.
Proposals have been made by previous administration of the NFF to rest the Jersey number so as to immortalise the Imo born midfielder but due to improper record keeping this has not seen light of day.
Pinnick in an interview he granted with a radio station affirmed that another proposal to retire the Jersey number worn by Okwaraji was made at the beginning of the year and that he is sending the proposal to his executive committee for onward implementation.
“Coincidentally I was right there at the National Stadium, Lagos on that fatefully day it was a game against Angola. The match was tensed and my late brother, Patrick Okpomo was the Secretary General of the then NFA so I was privileged to be there,” Pinnick said.
“I recalled when he was taken out of the stadium. Nobody thought he would die as a result of that. When we came out after the game I was looking for my brother but he was busy.

Read More Below:
https://sportingrave.com/2020/08/13/11860nff-set-to-retire-late-sam-okwarajis-jersey-number/
Re: NFF Set To Retire Late Sam Okwaraji’s Jersey Number by longetivity(m): 9:27am On Aug 14, 2020
Rip mr okwaraji
Re: NFF Set To Retire Late Sam Okwaraji’s Jersey Number by dangermouse(m): 10:04am On Aug 14, 2020
Sad that after 31 years, the NFA has not honoured him with this simple gesture...

(1) (Reply)

PERMANENT DEAL: Roma Defender Aleksandar Kolarov Joins Inter Millan / Chelsea Player, Kenedy, Leaves Stamford Bridge To A New Club / Manchester United Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Reveals Why The Club Signed Donny

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.