Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,162 members, 7,825,635 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:26 PM

Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness (25838 Views)

National Grid Restored After Fire At Afam Power Plant. / Ondo Youths Shut Down Akeredolu’s Office, Protest 'Diversion Of Funds' / Photos From 240MW Afam Power Plant Constructed By Buhari In Rivers State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by CAUSTIC002: 10:21pm On Aug 16, 2020
ruggedtimi:
"up nepa" because they rarely get the light, so when it comes people are excited. I dont think it happens in other countries
its a shame, just dont know why power cant be fixed ones and for all.
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by GiZcorp: 10:25pm On Aug 16, 2020
chrisxxx:

You can't even know who to meet to shutdown. When you get to a power station you will understand. I have been there and I know what I am talking about.
Can't say I know much about it but the few industries and power houses I have visited there's always heads of operations and if you seem lost and wish to get clarification of who is who no one stops one from asking too. I'm into environmental engineering.
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by chrisxxx(m): 10:38pm On Aug 16, 2020
GiZcorp:
Can't say I know much about it but the few industries and power houses I have visited there's always heads of operations and if you seem lost and wish to get clarification of who is who no one stops one from asking too. I'm into environmental engineering.
These guys can't access to even the control room where the switch gears are. There is something they have not told us. It is an inhouse something.
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by cool318(m): 10:50pm On Aug 16, 2020
Oyigbo as a community has over 36 oil & gas wells which many are in full production. I believe that the community should be given a kind of humane treatment when taking into consideration the resources being pumped out from their underground reservoirs.

Nigeria is exporting electricity to West African countries on credit, they are owing still they are supplying them electricity, so why are the host communities in darkness.

Something is not right in this Country, it's a Pity

2 Likes

Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by GiZcorp: 11:00pm On Aug 16, 2020
chrisxxx:

These guys can't access to even the control room where the switch gears are. There is something they have not told us. It is an inhouse something.
Most likely, hopefully we'd get to know what they are yet to say in the soonest of time.
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by otokx(m): 11:12pm On Aug 16, 2020
The matter will be resolved, the state government should try and do something about the roads in that area.
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by Coldie(m): 11:36pm On Aug 16, 2020
Nice move. Oyigbo people have been marginalized enough. They are the only oil producing lga in rivers state that's not treated as one. Imagine u have power plant in your lga but no light, but in omoku they have power plant they enjoy electricity almost 247 plus the fact that they don't pay for it

1 Like

Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by HarryDuce(m): 11:57pm On Aug 16, 2020
RobbStark:

Don't get it twisted, there is no gas or oil in Bonny.
That's why they pay for the power they have.
They just have deep waters for NLNG facility and ships for export of gas abroad.
The only place that enjoys free electricity is Omoku because they have abundant gas reserves
What about Bonny light crude? Where does it come from?
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by Fantasticcc: 12:55am On Aug 17, 2020
Nice move,useless govt,one of the highest oil producing state still no light
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by stayclearofme: 1:43am On Aug 17, 2020
chrisxxx:
This is the reason we have always advocated that the minister of power to be an engineer at least and at best electrical engineer.
There is no way youths can shutdown a power station.
Everything there at Afam is automated. You need a password to access the computer to operate the power line. It is not manually done as electrical arcing could burn anyone who dares.
The only way youths can obstruct activities there is to tamper with the gas line. Or in alternative prevent workers from accessing the place.
There is something they have not mentioned.
I am a power engineer.
Next time read very well. The angry youths forced the workers to shut down the power station without observing safety measures. Mr Power Engineer.. cheesy cheesy
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by autonomous22: 2:16am On Aug 17, 2020
Igbochief001:
If 950MW capacity afam can't provide 25mw to power oyigbo ...then it should be off

My igbo brothers don't take joke ....if Bonny can have 24 hours light then oyigbo should too ...it has more gas than Bonny . Has more oil than bonny

Is it because they refused to Denny their igbo heritage like others ?

This one said Oyibo has more gas and oil than Bonny... Wake up.. �

1 Like

Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by Sunnyja: 2:25am On Aug 17, 2020
IjebuWarrior:
Savages from Jungle... Instead of them going to their Governor's office to unleash chaos for the Billions stolen yearly. The same Governor they adulate, praise and celebrate... angry
Is the governor in charge of power generation, distribution and giving of crazy estimated bills every month?
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by Nobody: 3:57am On Aug 17, 2020
autonomous22:

This one said Oyibo has more gas and oil than Bonny... Wake up.. �
That's a fact quote me anywhere
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by Nobody: 3:58am On Aug 17, 2020
ruggedtimi:
more gas than bonny really??
Bonny is just a collection point that's all
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by Nobody: 3:59am On Aug 17, 2020
lebron7:

Are you mentally stable?
What is Igbo in rivers state
Where are u from ...have u been to Rivers State before ?
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by RobbStark(m): 5:04am On Aug 17, 2020
HarryDuce:
What about Bonny light crude? Where does it come from?

Not from Bonny.
There is an export terminal in Bonny.
We have Port Harcourt refinery but is it in Port Harcourt?
No.

It's in Eleme
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by chrisxxx(m): 5:29am On Aug 17, 2020
stayclearofme:

Next time read very well. The angry youths forced the workers to shut down the power station without observing safety measures. Mr Power Engineer.. cheesy cheesy
You dont understand and that is why you are saying this. It is not possible to do that. Bro a power station is not a generator house. And because it is not your field that is why it does not sound like a conspiracy theory to you.
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by offongk(m): 5:36am On Aug 17, 2020
1, The question is do they have right to demand for constant light as host community?
2, what has PHEDC Done for the community as corporate responsibility to elevate the suffering of the community ?
3, this installation has life effect on the community and no govt present to help the community
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by stayclearofme: 5:42am On Aug 17, 2020
chrisxxx:

You dont understand and that is why you are saying this. It is not possible to do that. Bro a power station is not a generator house. And because it is not your field that is why it does not sound like a conspiracy theory to you.
Lol...how do you know it is not my field? cheesy cheesy....Bros this is Nigeria we hear strange things.....the country is messed up nothing is impossible again.
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by iamimohtal(m): 6:01am On Aug 17, 2020
The problem is quite simple, there is no light in the lga for more than a month now, phcn wants residing communities to start paying electricity bills, hence shutting down power supply even to the host community, hence the aggravated behavior from the youths.
Source....I live in afam

1 Like

Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by iamimohtal(m): 6:04am On Aug 17, 2020
chrisxxx:

Those guys can access anywhere, I know them.
Most of them are seasoned engineers
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by iamimohtal(m): 6:08am On Aug 17, 2020
consciousman:
“However, all our attempts have proven futile as the youths insisted on 24-hour supply, negating our efforts at ensuring equitable distribution of supply to customers.
I don't believe this statement. No Nigerian will demand a 24hrs power supply, not after knowing that the group that controls TCNs are idiots. Nothing works and we know, so we can't demand the impossicant/impossible. Ma you lied!

Afam and neighborhood communities enjoy 24 hrs power supply and the don't pay bill
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by Deborah98(f): 6:22am On Aug 17, 2020
All these unnecessary agitations here and there amuse me most of the time, this is not a war now,look we needed to have begun this agitation of a thing long before everything got sour but it's well I hope we have all realized our mistakes.
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by Kojiek: 6:51am On Aug 17, 2020
I am in full support of the power shutdown. Imagine, since the middle of August till date, Obigbo urban have not had power, despite the fact that they pay huge estimated bills monthly. Let the entire Rivers state have a taste of what Obigbo south is suffering. By so doing, the govt's attention will be fully drawn to Obigbo.
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by zoedew: 7:03am On Aug 17, 2020
Niger Deltan youths for ever leaving out the root cause and focusing on the symptoms! Where were they when the billions got stolen by their own who end up doing a Pondei?

1 Like

Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by Wiseoldman: 7:13am On Aug 17, 2020
cool318:
Oyigbo as a community has over 36 oil & gas wells which many are in full production. I believe that the community should be given a kind of humane treatment when taking into consideration the resources being pumped out from their underground reservoirs.

Nigeria is exporting electricity to West African countries on credit, they are owing still they are supplying them electricity, so why are the host communities in darkness.

Something is not right in this Country, it's a Pity

Bros, i used to randomly get pissed with the government for statement like this. This was until I moved to the Niger Delta and I saw communities stop contractors from building their town road because the company did not pay enough marching ground. Or a community wrestling the government and oil companies not to build a bridge in their community so they can continue to rent their boat and pontoon to the companies in the area.

Fear catch me me with the thinking in that place.

1 Like

Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by Offpoint: 7:14am On Aug 17, 2020
reason1man:
Your brain capacity is quite low. Why are you talking offpoint
talking me?
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by rafindo(m): 7:16am On Aug 17, 2020
offongk:
1, The question is do they have right to demand for constant light as host community?
2, what has PHEDC Done for the community as corporate responsibility to elevate the suffering of the community ?
3, this installation has life effect on the community and no govt present to help the community

Has a host community that doesn't mean you are entitled to electricity by force .it all depends on the company's policy. After all you are not paying the gas for them as well as the running cost to keep the plant going. If you feel the gas is your resources then set up your own company to generate electricity for the community then all members will not pay .let see how the company will run.the company tried self.in my residence we are begging the power company to supply us electricity that we are ready to pay but ibedc has refused us to leave to the company.
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by Reference(m): 7:40am On Aug 17, 2020
Theu are absolutely correct. How can a community hosting a power station with all its attrndant HSE risks/challenges not have adequate compensation in steady electricity. They are not asking for free power, just power.

I just donot understand how things are meant to work in Nigeria but this is just absurd. The most expensive gasoline at the official pumps has always been in the Niger Delta.

If they cannot enjoy agriculture at least energy should not be a concern.
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by idahme(m): 8:30am On Aug 17, 2020
ruggedtimi:
more gas than bonny really??

He may not be totally incorrect bro, Bonny has its gas readmission system (GTS) coming from different parts of Rivers State. Line from Obiafu, Ubeta, Obite, Soku, the list goes on before liquefaction takes place there. Bonny is majorely an export haven because of its peculiarity, that's why the plant was set up there in the first place. Bonny residents enjoy power because of the magnanimity of the NLNG .
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by teoiyalla(m): 8:56am On Aug 17, 2020
This your News is false, my area at abuloma there relative 18 to 19 hours of power. So please rephrase your statement and stop spreading fake news .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Brother Kidnapped On The Abuja-Kaduna Train Has Not Been Released - Sarki / Tee Mac Explains Why He Is Supporting Peter Obi (Video) / FAYEMI Vs FAYOSE: Jubilation In Ekiti As Appeal Court Confirmed Fayose's Victory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.