Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,862 members, 7,841,245 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness (25867 Views)

National Grid Restored After Fire At Afam Power Plant. / Ondo Youths Shut Down Akeredolu’s Office, Protest 'Diversion Of Funds' / Photos From 240MW Afam Power Plant Constructed By Buhari In Rivers State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by otokx(m): 8:58am On Aug 17, 2020
iamimohtal:
The problem is quite simple, there is no light in the lga for more than a month now, phcn wants residing communities to start paying electricity bills, hence shutting down power supply even to the host community, hence the aggravated behavior from the youths.
Source....I live in afam

Some Nigerians will do anything not to pay bills.
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by Daliano(m): 9:13am On Aug 17, 2020
Optional09:
unwise to attack power plant why not attack the individual or entity you’re having problems with, with laws or protest.

They won't tell you the whole story..
Since Over a month now,there has been no light in this area hence the action of the youths(though I don't support) but has proven to be the effective way of getting any agency in Nigeria to act.

1 Like

Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by Nobody: 9:17am On Aug 17, 2020
This is old news, issue has been resolved, BTW tell the Adam youths to pay for their electricity, era of community freebies is over.
These lazy youths should be grateful that companies are set up in their locale, the owners could go elsewhere and set up.

No wonder the state has the 3rd highest unemployment rate in Nigeria, its youth are lazy, dumb and unemployable.
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by Optional09: 9:23am On Aug 17, 2020
Daliano:

They won't tell you the whole story..
Since Over a month now,there has been no light in this area hence the action of the youths(though I don't support) but has proven to be the effective way of getting any agency in Nigeria to act.

Nigeria is just a sad story, citizens needs to be organized and make leaders accountable but we expect this incompetent self acclaimed leaders to do the right things. Until citizens who are the majority becomes relentless at making sure political office holders are accountable nothing will change
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by bobothem(m): 9:26am On Aug 17, 2020
When you are forced to shutdown, you make use of the Emergency Shut down button. There are many of them in the power plant
chrisxxx:

You can't even know who to meet to shutdown. When you get to a power station you will understand. I have been there and I know what I am talking about.
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by Optional09: 9:35am On Aug 17, 2020
otokx:

Some Nigerians will do anything not to pay bills.

because they is no organized system, Nigerians pays for many services they don’t receive. The consumer protection body has been completely useless, infective and criminal in their dealings with Nigerians
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by cool318(m): 9:43am On Aug 17, 2020
Wiseoldman:

Bros, i used to randomly get pissed with the government for statement like this. This was until I moved to the Niger Delta and I saw communities stop contractors from building their town road because the company did not pay enough marching ground. Or a community wrestling the government and oil companies not to build a bridge in their community so they can continue to rent their boat and pontoon to the companies in the area.

Fear catch me me with the thinking in that place.
I am aware of the existence of these instances you mentioned, it even happened in Aluu of recent with OPM, but the case of Afam is a different one. Oyigbo people as I heard are not too volatile. They were enjoying constant power during the previous administration, but the reverse is the case now.

Even the road to Afam is a nightmare. The governor promised establishing a Cassava processing plant there , that one looks like a political statement cos Even the farmers who were celebrating, have resigned to fate.
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by Daliano(m): 9:50am On Aug 17, 2020
Optional09:

Nigeria is just a sad story, citizens needs to be organized and make leaders accountable but we expect this incompetent self acclaimed leaders to do the right things. Until citizens who are the majority becomes relentless at making sure political office holders are accountable nothing will change

I stay at the affected area..No light for the past 1 month,but its sad to see it get to this,but also the solution is close cause protests and violence is the only thing the leaders understand before they work.
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by Optional09: 10:00am On Aug 17, 2020
Daliano:

I stay at the affected area..No light for the past 1 month,but its sad to see it get to this,but also the solution is close cause protests and violence is the only thing the leaders understand before they work.

I would not encourage violent at any time there more civilized ways to handle these matters only that because of the “Nigerian factor” getting result might take longer. There is need for socio political education among our people so that they can play their roles effectively as citizens. A situation where tax payer sees civil servant as superior is the primary cause for the decadence in the Nigerian system.
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by chrisxxx(m): 10:21am On Aug 17, 2020
bobothem:
When you are forced to shutdown, you make use of the Emergency Shut down button. There are many of them in the power plant
ok
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by lebron7(m): 10:48am On Aug 17, 2020
Igbochief001:

Where are u from ...have u been to Rivers State before ?
I am from rivers state and I live here

1 Like

Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by otokx(m): 11:25am On Aug 17, 2020
Daliano:

Do you have prepaid meter, how do you pay your light bill?
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by Daliano(m): 12:34pm On Aug 17, 2020
otokx:

Do you have prepaid meter, how do you pay your light bill?
The billing system here is not automated.. Its a mixture of both estimated billing and prepaid meters but that wasn't the cause of the issues from the start.
Re: Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness by uzoma213(m): 4:39pm On Aug 17, 2020
consciousman:
“However, all our attempts have proven futile as the youths insisted on 24-hour supply, negating our efforts at ensuring equitable distribution of supply to customers.
I don't believe this statement. No Nigerian will demand a 24hrs power supply, not after knowing that the group that controls TCNs are idiots. Nothing works and we know, so we can't demand the impossicant/impossible. Ma you lied!
this is not about 24hrs power supply because there is always power in that area.

It is the youths of the host community i.e the afam, Ndoki people that are responsible for this. They have not been paying NEPA bills and the NEPA people shut down the power line leading to those communities insisting they start paying.
That is why the youths did that saying it is not possible for them to pay

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abuja EndSARS Protesters Barricade Berger Roundabout Bridge / Ganduje To Establish Hermaphrodite Centre In Kano / 2023: ‘it’s My Turn’ – How Osinbajo, Amaechi Became Tinubu’s Foes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.