Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,255 members, 7,818,876 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:03 AM

Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? (20557 Views)

Apostle Edu Udechukwu Sends DJ Out Of His Wedding For Playing Secular Music / Does Listening To Secular Music Mean You Are Not Born Again? / Mike Bamiloye Has This For Nigerian Artistes Who Left Church For Secular Music (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by sunshineV(f): 10:25am On Aug 16, 2020
is god omniknowest? did he know i will listen to secular music? if yes case closed
Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by Eriokanmi: 10:25am On Aug 16, 2020
Especially during fasting. I was asked to fast and pray over a pressing issue some years back for 3 days. My pastor asked that I come see him for prayers after completing it. On the 3rd day, I went to see a friend who was playing a collection of American hip hop. I joined him in watching it while still fasting. I went back to my lastor for prayer afterwards and he said I should repeat the fasting for the 3rd day, that I should have watched a Christian music video instead of the hip hop I watched which spoilt the fasting for the 3rd say . I was shocked. Since that day, I've always taken caution when fasting. I fit no play any music sef to about what happened almost 2 decades back.

1 Like

Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by Aderewah: 10:25am On Aug 16, 2020
Lol. But you use secular banking, secular telecommunications, you drink secular drinks, use maggi made in UAE with Arabic inscriptions. Continue

6 Likes

Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by GreatAchiever1: 10:27am On Aug 16, 2020
For me sha, I c nothing wrong in secular music, depending on its lyrics, same with movies.

1 Like

Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by philipstanley(m): 10:27am On Aug 16, 2020
Nbotee:
There's no difference between most of the Christians of today and the Pharisees in the times of Jesus..... We are more of judgemental Christians than practical Christians. What is wrong in listening to country music which is a "secular" song? What is wrong in listening to some gud old Bob Marley, Lucky Dube or even Celine Dion or Khalid? What is wrong in watching Suits or Game of Thrones? Shld we close our ears wen we hear these songs over the radio or like deeper life of old we shldnt even own television sets ryt? There is nothing wrong with watching secular movies or listening to secular songs. There's a reason why movies have ratings and preview.

You've said it all
The problem with blacks is that we are over spiritual

1 Like

Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by Nobody: 10:30am On Aug 16, 2020
Wolgrace:

You asked a question and concluding at the same time. Are you afraid of reasoning because you are using force approach?

Bible says "whatever is pure, good, holy, praiseworthy, think of these things" and "whatever you do or eat or drink etc.... do it to the name and glory of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Things that are not good are profane and ungodly..

Brother, you don't need to feign annoyance to avoid reasoning, my message was clear because it is written "grieve not the Spirit." If truly He is in you, profane things will grieve Him and you will be sensitive to His voice or reaction. But when a man is totally carnal, profane things will gain more influence.

We need Him.
gringringringrin
Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by Nobody: 10:31am On Aug 16, 2020
sunshineV:
is god omniknowest? did he know i will listen to secular music? if yes case closed
It is omniscient biko.gringringrin

1 Like

Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by King44(m): 10:32am On Aug 16, 2020
Nbotee:
There's no difference between most of the Christians of today and the Pharisees in the times of Jesus..... We are more of judgemental Christians than practical Christians. What is wrong in listening to country music which is a "secular" song? What is wrong in listening to some gud old Bob Marley, Lucky Dube or even Celine Dion or Khalid? What is wrong in watching Suits or Game of Thrones? Shld we close our ears wen we hear these songs over the radio or like deeper life of old we shldnt even own television sets ryt? There is nothing wrong with watching secular movies or listening to secular songs. There's a reason why movies have ratings and preview.
It is wrong for a good Christian to listen to circular music. It pollutes the mind and draws your closer to sin.

1 Like

Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by YUSTECH3(m): 10:34am On Aug 16, 2020
Never disturb yourself both gospel and secular song it's all sin...
Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by delkuf(m): 10:35am On Aug 16, 2020
Tina001:
I listen to Secular music alot, I also watch movies but then I still have the fear of the Lord in me. It's not by listening to music or not, to me, they are just for entertainment and shouldn't deviate you from serving the Lord cool
Listen to do kalid songs or Nikki Minaj video and see how your Spirit man will feel, unless you don't have the Holy Spirit in you
Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by King44(m): 10:36am On Aug 16, 2020
Kobojunkie:
You are right and your friend is wrong. God gave us commandments for us to obey. Everything else, He left to each person to decide for himself/herself. Yes, followers of Jesus Christ are free to party all night without it impacting their relationship with God. Yes, God allows us to enjoy all that He has created for us, without limitation. All He asks is that we obey what He has commanded.

In the Old Covenant, He commanded the people not to make any more rules than the one He has given them and not to remove from the rules He has made.

In the New Covenant, Jesus Christ warned us against subscribing to doctrines and rules of men, so that we do not nullify the power of God in our lives by these acts.

** substituted from another Bible translation for a better understanding of what is impacted

Jesus Christ did not say we should not listen to Secular music and He did not limit us in what we can watch as far as movies, so it is up to each individual to decide for themselves based on own preferences. We are made free in Jesus Christ, not shackled as those in the Old Covenant are - God gave commandments on how they should dress, eat, sleep, when they can work, how etc. But in Jesus Christ, we are made free and should not look instead for ways to add chains to our lives, for by doing that, we instead jeopardize the freedom that Jesus Christ died to give us.

We are not to make rules and impose those rules on others pretending we do so in the name of God for God has given no man power to add or remove from that which He and He alone has commanded. Do not let yourself be deceived by religion and do not let religious people fool you with their lies into buying into their rules and traditions, which only serve to push you away from God, not bring you closer to Him.
It is wrong, it has been stated in the Bible don't, if you listen to music from the mouth of sinners and you listen to sinners you are also a sinner.

A true Christian don't listen to such there are good numbers of gospel music and gospel movies both local and international.

If you still find yourself doing secular you've backslide although you were born into Christianity.

I am guilty as well.
Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by delkuf(m): 10:37am On Aug 16, 2020
King44:
It is wrong for a good Christian to listen to circular music. It pollutes the mind and draws your closer to sin.
Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by Nbotee(m): 10:37am On Aug 16, 2020
King44:

Pray tell, how does my listening to Majek Fashek, Lucky Dube or Bob Marly pollute my mind and draws me closer to sin?
Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by Muhylonaire007: 10:38am On Aug 16, 2020
So many judgemental hypocrites on this particular topic.
At the end of it, many of you will still not make that heaven while those you regard as secular will end up in that heaven you are clamouring for.

I've come to realize that we are just holier than thou, we take religion serious more than those who introduced it to us.

We will be OK last last.
Cox If I decide to spill it all out,........ Lemme just keep quiet.

1 Like

Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by King44(m): 10:40am On Aug 16, 2020
philipstanley:

You've said it all
The problem with blacks is that we are over spiritual
this is not a thing of being over spiritual it is a thing that has to do with spiritual growth and that is why you see some so called men of God normalise sins even in churches and their life style is not different from that of a idol worshipper.
Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by Sterope(f): 10:40am On Aug 16, 2020
The guy is right though. You have to be extremely conscious of those secular music. It is very easy to slip and derail. I don't think it is worth it if you want to be a really good Christian.

2 Likes

Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by King44(m): 10:42am On Aug 16, 2020
Nbotee:

Pray tell, how does my listening to Majek Fashek, Lucky Dube or Bob Marly pollute my mind and draws me closer to sin?
Bro for your spiritual growth stay inclined to gospel music, movies and strictly what the Bible says.

Listening to sinners because it seems what their saying is true, which is actually true but those things wont develop your spiritual life but instead awaken you to societal challenges. So tell me how does that help you grow spiritually?
Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by radna2: 10:46am On Aug 16, 2020
Religion is a beautiful armour, but makes up d heaviest sword.
If anyone of you seems to be religious and bridleth not his tongue, his religion is vain.

If you are an instrumentalist, u would understand the importance of listening to secular songs. Music was created by God, not devil.

Anything u say is sin to u becomes sin and u will b doomed the day u will mistakenly hear secular song.

Continue with ur gospel songs.
I rest my case.

2 Likes

Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by JayCynic(m): 10:49am On Aug 16, 2020
King44:
It is wrong, it has been stated in the Bible don't, if you listen to music from the mouth of sinners and you listen to sinners you are also a sinner.

A true Christian don't listen to such there are good numbers of gospel music and gospel movies both local and international.

If you still find yourself doing secular you've backslide although you were born into Christianity.

I am guilty as well.

According to that logic, if you drive a car made by a sinner, use musical instruments created by sinners, eat in restaurants owned by sinners, buy clothes made by sinners. You are automatically a sinner.

1 Like

Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by Watermike: 10:50am On Aug 16, 2020
No amount of scriptural parlance can make some belief whether it is good or not to listen to secular songs or movies...but l tell u with time if God wills then he push them to know what is right or wrong.

1 Like

Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by King44(m): 10:53am On Aug 16, 2020
JayCynic:

According to that logic, if you drive a car made by a sinner, use musical instruments created by sinners, eat in restaurants owned by sinners, buy clothes made by sinners. You are automatically a sinner.
what are we saying? what are you saying? If you are ready to repent and live a good Christian life that is the way to go.

If you want to be like me born into Christianity but like faaji, your way na way.

There are things that are not proper in Christendom.
Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by craves(m): 10:54am On Aug 16, 2020
Gods name is not mention in a song doesn't mean its a bad song. A song may teach value without necessarily mentioning God

If you go by your argument, then one shouldn't read any other book aside bible or christian book, study any other course aside crs, visit any other place aside church
Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by Desiiger222(m): 10:55am On Aug 16, 2020
King44:
Bro for your spiritual growth stay inclined to gospel music, movies and strictly what the Bible says.

Listening to sinners because it seems what their saying is true, which is actually true but those things wont develop your spiritual life but instead awaken you to societal challenges. So tell me how does that help you grow spiritually?

Does that mean that the gospel musicians are not sinners or what. undecided
King44:

Does that mean that the gospel musicians are not sinners or what.
Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by JayCynic(m): 10:56am On Aug 16, 2020
King44:
what are we saying? what are you saying? If you are ready to repent and live a good Christian life that is the way to go.

If you want to be like me born into Christianity but like faaji, your way na way.

There are things that are not proper in Christendom.

Pretty sure the phone you are using was made by a sinner, it means you are a sinner too.

1 Like

Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by King44(m): 10:58am On Aug 16, 2020
JayCynic:

Pretty sure the phone you are using was made by a sinner, it means you are a sinner too.
wo go ahead with your life, may God help you. After I have started the facts out to you, you are still asking me this question.
Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by arukwe123(m): 10:59am On Aug 16, 2020
No difference between Christian fanatics and Muslim extremists.
Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by Captain001(m): 11:09am On Aug 16, 2020
thesicilian:
You may be able to win the verbal argument with your friends, but deep down inside you know that secular music and movies will stunt your growth as a Christian.

Apt. This is the conclusion of the whole matter. You cannot deceive yourself. God bless you for this comment bro.
Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by MrNipplesLover(m): 11:10am On Aug 16, 2020
Thank you, father.

1 Like

Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by Reference(m): 11:11am On Aug 16, 2020
Let me put it this way.

Most folks close to me know when I am on the shop floor and will not bother to call me because the noise and vibration of equipment will never let me sense a phone call. I don't bother taking one down.

Moreover I have to protect my ears from damage so headphones are not an option, anyway they are dangerous near working equipment and one distraction can be fatal.

This is exactly what happens in the spirit world. The primary means of communication from God to you flows from Him through His Spirit to your spirit and into your soul which is the housing of your mind.

Now, the default setting of your mind from birth is tuned to the world, not to God which means when God speaks you are unlikely to hear except you ACTIVELY turn off the impulses coming from the world.

You simply cannot have two frequencies coming out of a receiver or receive two calls at the same time through one chip. So if you are expecting a call of the time unknown it is better to stay on that frequency. Turn off the music of the world nearby to hear the call from afar. On the days I expect important calls from the ogas above I don't bother with the shop floor.

For you, God is everyday so just cut out the world. You cannot be an effective Christian if you have communucation issues.

4 Likes

Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by Nobody: 11:12am On Aug 16, 2020
What you feed your soul with matters. As what you continually give your soul is what your soul and spirit will begin to absorb and overtime shape your personality, your outlook to life, beliefs and lifestyle, no matter how deciplined you think you are. And because music is the food of the soul, its very important you feed it with good moral music that would inspire you and your spirit positively.

For instance, if you listen to sensual music, what do you think will end up in your head? A mental picture of what you've just listened to. And you know the heart is very poros and wanders away faster than the speed of light. Imagine when you now constantly listen to such musics.... Therefore its in your own interest as a Christian not to listen to such songs, so you dont wander off the mark.

Shalom.
Re: Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? by MrNipplesLover(m): 11:12am On Aug 16, 2020
people against this are best dancers of soapy, zanku and the rest.

hypocrites everywhere.

thank you, Lord.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

TB Joshua Healed My Daughter Of Asthma – Ronke Ojo / Church Members Flog 'Demons' In Awka, Anambra State (Video) / She Says Prophet Muhammad is in Hell (Hell Testimony)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.