Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,068 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:07 AM

Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me (56843 Views)

Bible Scholars Should Help Me Out With This Teachings. PLEASE. / You Anoint My Head with Oil........Psalm 23:5. (THE TRUE MEANING!) / What Is Your Pastor Ordained To Do? [isaiah 32:2, Psalms 23:1-6] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by drololaaof: 9:16am On Nov 19, 2023
bamviàk:
I need an illustration or an example of these passage from bible scholars.

"Psalms 23:5: "Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies"
You did not complete it , if you follow and obey , God you will understand it .
God will do things on your life that is beyond human comprehension.
If you follow those that have been waging war with Israel have been defeated
Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by dontrulee: 9:17am On Nov 19, 2023
No one explains it better than Steve furtick.
I love the way he explained the verse with much simplicity and energy.

Thou prepare a table before me. (More like a banquet where foods of different delicacies and drinks are before you)

In the presence of my enemies (not only physical enemies now since our warfare aren't carnal, so the enemies could be physical, spiritual, pyschological etc. It could be sickness, depression, even poverty) also note it's in plural form. So the enemies are numerous.

What do you do when you're facing a lot of enemies or challenges? My Gee, prepare a table and eat.

Can you focus on God even in the presence of your enemies? Can you eat the bountiful fruits and food of the Lord when you're in the presence of your enemies?

For more explanation, I think David was referring to when he was invited to dinner by Jonathan and Saul wanted to kill him. He actually ate in the presence of his enemies.

It's a nice verse and it has wonderful life applications.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by occfx: 9:18am On Nov 19, 2023
yanabasee1:
Providing for you at the time when people thought that your God will fail you. At the time when people began to shame you. He (God) will come forth and change your situation before them and lift you up from the slumber right before them.

The story of Job and Esther will explain this perfectly.

I think this is the point
Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by izubext007: 9:18am On Nov 19, 2023
It's means that u can't hide God's blessing's, on like some whom God has blessed, but still pretend to be poor.
Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by Padipadi(m): 9:18am On Nov 19, 2023
KingOfAllIgbos:
The second part is if a babe rubs Pears Baby Oil on the cap of your 🍌... if she keeps stroking, wouldn't your cup overflow ? undecided
I know one goat must chop cane here. See your head like dîck cap!
Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by aalangel(f): 9:18am On Nov 19, 2023
No human being is your enemy. Your enemies are sickness, poverty and death.

1 Like

Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by BreconHills(m): 9:19am On Nov 19, 2023
Psalm 23 was written by David and it is clear he wrote about his own life as a principle.

So the time frame we have for tracking down examples is not too wide.

2 Sam 16 talks about Shimei cursing David as David retreated from Jerusalem after the rebellion of his son. Shimei was from the same tribe as Saul and undoubtedly many people from Benjamin had similar views. When David returned to Jerusalem as King Shimei and other supporters of the house of Saul were still alive to see the grandeur of the House of David.

I hope this serves.
Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by elisbabs499(m): 9:19am On Nov 19, 2023
In Psalm 23:5, King David says to the Lord, “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies,” portraying his close relationship to God as an honored dinner guest of a generous and capable host. As a gracious host, the Lord attends to David’s every need, showering him with personal care, abundant goodness, protection from his enemies, and eternal blessings.

David had many adversaries, but in the presence of the Lord, seated at His table, they posed no threat because David had guest-rights with the Lord. In the ancient East, a host was obligated to safeguard his visitors from all enemies at all costs.

Psalm 23 begins, “The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.” The psalm’s central theme—that David lacks nothing—is reinforced through every line. The word my underscores the intimacy of David’s up-close relationship with God. David acknowledges that God is always with Him, looking out for his good, even in the darkest “valley of the shadow of death” (verse 4). Even in the most challenging circumstances—“in the presence of my enemies” (verse 5)—David lacks nothing because His God is with him, supplying his every need and looking out for his welfare.

David’s assertion, “You prepare a table before me,” is equivalent to Paul’s declaration, “And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:19). This theme of God’s constant provision and protection echoes in Paul’s prayer for the Ephesians: “I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God” (Ephesians 3:16–19, NLT).

When we are invited to someone’s house for dinner, we cannot open the host’s refrigerator and grab whatever we want to eat. We depend on the host to place dinner on the table for us. We wait to be offered food and drink. Thus, the statement, “You prepare a table before me,” highlights David’s dependence on God.

The same God who “spread a table in the wilderness” for the children of Israel by providing daily manna for them to eat (Exodus 16:15; cf. Psalm 78:19) would supply all the provisions and help King David would need. David’s confidence in God dovetails with the encouragement in Hebrews 4:16: “So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most” (NLT).

God (the Host) welcomes His guest (David) to a feast already prepared and spread out for him on the table. As it was for David, it is for all believers who accept the invitation to dine at the Lord’s table (Isaiah 25:6–9; Matthew 22:1–14; Luke 13:29–30; Revelation 19:9; 21:2–4). Like David, we depend on God to provide our material and physical needs (Psalm 104:27); we lean on Him for understanding and direction in life (Proverbs 3:5–6); we rest in Him through prayer (Philippians 4:6; 1 Peter 5:7); and, most importantly, we depend on God for our salvation (Ephesians 2:8–9).

You prepare a table before me means God’s “divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness” (2 Peter 1:3). Yet it’s not only in this life that God meets our needs. God is our gracious and bountiful benefactor for both our bodies and souls for all time and eternity.

5 Likes

Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by BreconHills(m): 9:20am On Nov 19, 2023
bamvik:

"Psalms 23:5: "Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies"

I have made an answer in the thread I should have done it as a reply to yours but it's there on page 2 I think.
Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by KingOfAllIgbos: 9:23am On Nov 19, 2023
Padipadi:

I know one goat must chop cane here. See your head like dîck cap!

Sharap. Did I lie ?
Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by Saig: 9:23am On Nov 19, 2023
David faced a lot of hurdles in his life, persecutions from left and right. While other nations were fighting wars against him, his own son, Absalom was persecuting him from within, yet in spite of all this he prospered. God provided for him and he could have basic necessities of life such as shelter and food, even glory. God therefore provided a table for him before his enemies...such that he lacked nothing in the face of adversaries.

When God is with you and you too in God, no matter what comes you will prosper. When people think this is the end for you, it may just be the beginning. God provides for you in ways you may not understand.

BTW: Find any Church of Christ nearest you for worship.
Get baptized for the forgiveness of your sins (Acts 2:37-38; Acts 22:16)
Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by 4ormidable(m): 9:26am On Nov 19, 2023
"Psalms 23:5: "Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies"[/quote]
This explains that irrespective of the ordeal David went through in the hands of king Saul, GOD still took the kingship from Saul and gave to him.

You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
This explains that irrespective of David's imperfections, GOD still chose him as king as well as his generation forever.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by orohbirodeysmel: 9:28am On Nov 19, 2023
bamvik:

thanks for your input, but please I need current realities in this 21st century

E full ground
Lionel Messi finally won the World Cup after much hate and criticisms. Some called him " Best only in Barcelona" some said he no fit achieve Maradona level for Argentina. Finally he was crowned in front of PSG fans who hated him, and were surpporting Mbappe.

He was smiling while PSG and French surpporters were crying
Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by JoshTim: 9:28am On Nov 19, 2023
Explanation-Killing your enemies might be an easy escape for them, but God says, he will humiliate them by blessing you in their presence.

2 Likes

Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by CHIOMAEZEH: 9:30am On Nov 19, 2023
Different people have different interpretations .....do your yourself
Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by ShenTeh(m): 9:31am On Nov 19, 2023
Ahah
Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by Padipadi(m): 9:31am On Nov 19, 2023
KingOfAllIgbos:

Sharap. Did I lie ?
You lied!
Cos the motive of David while writing that Psalm wasn't based on sex.
You be ewu!
If you need sexual bible verses, go to Kings of Solomon. You fit masturbate ontop some of the verses.
Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by kokomilala(m): 9:31am On Nov 19, 2023
The One God Chose

The scripture refers to 1 Samuel 16:13, where he was anointed. It was before and in the presence of all his older siblings, whom we could argue were his enemies.

It was much later at the cave of Adullam, in 1 Samuel 22, when all his siblings and other troubled people went to meet him there, submitting to him as their king.

1 Like

Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by federalgodey: 9:32am On Nov 19, 2023
So that your enemies will tidy up the table & plate after you might have finished eating.
Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by Houseontherock1: 9:32am On Nov 19, 2023
bamvik:

Simply put: God will elevate me and make my enemies watch my progress but they won't be able to harm me undecided
Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by bigman001(m): 9:33am On Nov 19, 2023
KingOfAllIgbos:
The second part is if a babe rubs Pears Baby Oil on the cap of your 🍌... if she keeps stroking, wouldn't your cup overflow ? undecided
Oil full ya Head grin grin grin
Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by sgtponzihater1(m): 9:39am On Nov 19, 2023
bamvik:

The Psalm is not a doctrine to be studied, but a Hymn to be sang or spoken out loud. That collection of 5 books make up the Hebrew hymn book and are heart songs rather than head scripts.

Psalm 23 is a song of worship written by a real person based on personal lived experience. While thriving in the house of King Saul to becoming an enemy and a fugitive, it was easy to put this song together, based on His feeling at the time.

People may be going through similar experience now and this psalm can come alive to them, and they can sing them out loud. People may be oppressed and pray this Psalm out loud as a confession that they will thrive despite growing pressure from their enemies.

Taking the Psalm as a text for teaching principles and doctrines, or allegorizing cup to mean one thing and table to represent something else is actually not the ideal use of it or may totally corrupt its intended purpose.

All the best.

PonziHater
Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by phemmyfour: 9:39am On Nov 19, 2023
dontrulee:

Thou prepare a table before me. (More like a banquet where foods of different delicacies and drinks are before you)

In the presence of my enemies (not only physical enemies now since our warfare aren't carnal, so the enemies could be physical, spiritual, pyschological etc. It could be sickness, depression, even poverty) also note it's in plural form. So the enemies are numerous.

What do you do when you're facing a lot of enemies or challenges? My Gee, prepare a table and eat.

Can you focus on God even in the presence of your enemies? Can you eat the bountiful fruits and food of the Lord when you're in the presence of your enemies?

For more explanation, I think David was referring to when he was invited to dinner by Jonathan and Saul wanted to kill him. He actually ate in the presence of his enemies.

Your opinion in your own words, not Steve's is what the OP ask for.
Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by cosmos1440: 9:39am On Nov 19, 2023
ArisingStorm:

(In a fun-filled interpretation)
The Most High will give your enemies chance to display their talents and skills, then, The Mighty One of Yisrael will let them know who is in charge.
Look at Joseph and His Brothers
Look at David and Saul
Look at Israel and Egypt
Look at Yahusha(which christians calls Jesus) and his enemies
Look at Daniel in the Lion's Den
Look at Paul and Silas in the prison. Etc.

Those who hate you will be clothed with shame, and the tents of the wicked shall be no more.
Iyoḇ (Job) 8:22

Anyone who follows the Torah of our Abba and surrenders their all to Him, will be loved by The Most High.

Shalom

Another Aba-made Jew
Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by Codeye(m): 9:41am On Nov 19, 2023
AbuTwins:
The explanation is simple!

Just look at JAGABAN coming to the last election!

We thought he won't win APC primaries but he won!

Despite Emefiele economics we thought he won't win the general elections but he won!

His enemies wrote letters to POTUS!

They called on Chukwu Okike Abiama, Eledumare, Ubanjigi and all names they could call!

But the man has already been annointed with oil!

He was to be arrested before swearing in but that couldn't happen!

At tribunal he had to win as he's annointed!

Even in the presence of all his enemies he still had to win at the supreme court!

Though he walked through the valley of the shadow of death, he did feared no evil!
Bravo 👌👏

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by Nobody: 9:41am On Nov 19, 2023
👂
Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by kiddkash(m): 9:42am On Nov 19, 2023
Padipadi:

It's the testimony of see finish of our enemies.
When God blessed a man to an extent that the wicked can't do anything to such. A state of being untouchable cos of the presence of God with the person.
I love this your explanation. Of becoming untouchable because of the presence of God

1 Like

Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by dontrulee: 9:42am On Nov 19, 2023
phemmyfour:
Your opinion in your own words, not Steve's is what the OP ask for.

I can agree with anyone's opinion. I don't necessarily have to have my own opinion.

Nigerians don't like to give credit to whom it belongs. It's possible Steve furtick got it from somewhere else, that's not my business. I got it from him and his opinion at that time was definitely better than mine hence why I gave him the credit
Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by kiddkash(m): 9:45am On Nov 19, 2023
dontrulee:

At the bolded, where can I hear the explanation. Is it on YouTube?
Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by waternogetenemy: 9:48am On Nov 19, 2023
Simple means, no condition is permanent.

The underdog may one day be placed on top and those on top at the bottom.

In the roller coaster called life.

Always be good to everybody both rich and poor because no condition is permanent.

The one u oppress and suppress, God will prepare a table for them and you will see it and be powerless like Lazarus and the Rich man.

1 Like

Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by VEHINTOLAR: 9:50am On Nov 19, 2023
bamvik:

thanks for your input, but please I need current realities in this 21st century

What's "current realities in this 21st century" if you care to explain ?! Look,the words of God cannot be given your own interpretations or twisted to suiit whatever you may want it to mean ! No sir,the word of God is divine and as such can't be interpreted just on a face value ! The word of God is beyond any "current realities in this 21st century;it is relevant to all seasons and time !

Trust me,you don't have to be a graduate of any theological seminary or college before you can understand that passage;any true believer knows what it means. It is that simple. If you're not a believer however,you'll never know or have an understanding of what it means ! So, the question is : are you a believer ?
Re: Bible Scholars Should Explain Psalms 23:5 For Me by dontrulee: 9:53am On Nov 19, 2023
kiddkash:

At the bolded, where can I hear the explanation. Is it on YouTube?

Yes, many of his teachings are on YouTube and his teachings are so relatable and impactful.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Aloysius Ikegwuonwu Bishop Reacts To Ozubulu Catholic Church Killings / Bishop Daniel Obinim Prays For Joysticks Of Members (Video) / Five Things Every Christian Must Know About Sex (must Read)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.