Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:26 PM

A Stitch In Time Saves Nine - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Stitch In Time Saves Nine (315 Views)

A Stitch In Time Saves Seventeen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Stitch In Time Saves Nine by oluchi6602(m): 8:57am On Aug 19, 2020
A Stitch in Time Saves Nine
One afternoon, I went to visit a congenial friend residing at a location, not too far from mine. On arrival at his fenced house, I requested permission from the gate-keeper to go in. As I walked down enthusiastically, with a glamour of having fun with a bosom friend, I gazed a depressed, and brutal looking guy. could this be my friend? I muttered with a disbelief, while I advanced, to my perplexity, it was him. Good day, man, I said, as we exchanged humourless pleasantries.
Ah! Why are you looking so depressed, and battered, like someone under the rage of Chinese acupuncture? Hope all is well? I added. It is a long story replied my friend, but I’m not in haste, I said teasingly as his face radiated with a feigned smile.
Take a seat, he said. So what’s the matter with you? I entreated concernedly. Calm down, I’ll tell you, he rumbled.
I received a call this morning from my cousin in his 2nd year in the medical school, that he had been withdrawn from the programme. What! I interrupted . He continued, I enquired to know the reason for his withdrawal but, all efforts proved abortive as he gave furtive responses. He sighed, and continued, I had to call his friend from the same discipline, who told me that my smart, clever, and brilliant cousin, who was studious and hardworking, and clinched an enviable result in his first year, suddenly became estranged from his old friends, and started associating with bad eggs and errants from other disciplines, who were engulfed and engrossed with farcical fashions and social gratification sequel to 2nd year resumption. We reported to our course adviser as we noticed the decadent transmogrification, who counselled him to be punctilious with his academic goal, and exigencies, and to shun unnecessary megalomania and distractions capable of tainting his career excellence and attainment but, all attempts to restore him back, fell on stony ground as he kept saying he would sit up later. As time went on, his passion and pursuit for academic excellence grew gloomier and graver. Before he realized his misplaced priority, it was already late! At last, he emerged with a woeful, and irredeemable failure. Hence, was withdrawn.
He added, his dream of becoming a medical doctor was thwarted and truncated because he did not do the necessary in time.
My friend concluded by saying, advise promising and talented young people out there, to learn from my cousin’s ordeal, and to make hay while the sun shines, and shun procrastination and distractions as “A Stitch in Time Saves Nine”.
Immediately, I woke up from the sleep and realized it was a dream!

(1) (Reply)

Her Only Man / Please Help Me To Review This Short Story. First Time Writing / GODMAN QUOTE25 (digest It Without Eating It)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.