Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,027 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ (6149 Views)

WAEC RUNS And WAEC Miracle Centers: Why You Must Avoid Them / All These Holiday Lessons Are Scams / Banking Scams You Need To Know As A Customer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Stephenmoka4(m): 10:54am On Aug 19, 2020
1. Gadgets, phones, vehicles and properties scam.

What you see in an ad may not be what it looks like in reality. You may come across posts or promotions sampling their products e.g London used Iphone X for N55,000 or a fairly used Toyota Camry for N450,000 naira and the likes. They usually use price as a trap to catch potential victims.

Tip; Do not transfer money to unverified/no licensed people you have not seen, after the transaction you may not hear from them again or may receive a damage/wrong product.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Stephenmoka4(m): 10:55am On Aug 19, 2020
2.The sure odds and fixed match.
There are always newcomers in everything. However, naive and desperate people usually realise their mistakes when it is too late. These scammer have very sure odds that they are afraid of using their money to stake.
You will see a booking code with 100 odds and the scammer will ask you to pay, ask him why he/she didn't stake his/her family properties on his sure games. They only reveal the fake betslip after the event is over.
Ask yourself, would your N5,000 be enough to pay those players to fix a match ? Would they like to risk their passion/work and club because of your N3,500. Be wise.
Tip; Do not send money, in gambling loss is certain but, winning is probable..

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Stephenmoka4(m): 10:55am On Aug 19, 2020
3. Airtime scam.

Be very careful when you see posts like, "I mistakenly recharge N10,000 instead of N100". You may pay for what you won"t receive.

Tip: Buy airtime from your bank (app or USSD) or dealer outlets.

6 Likes

Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Stephenmoka4(m): 10:56am On Aug 19, 2020
4. Investment, Phishing and Promotion.
There are many false investment schemes over the internet, they pay themselves and show payment proof so you can join them. Such investment platform are usually not registered and without an operating license.
Your money grows each time you check your dashboard, unfortunately you may not withdraw them.

Do note there are people that post several promotions and offers for you to click and register, be careful where you put your personal details as there are falsified version of true sites (Phishing).

Tip; Get quality information before investing. An investment platform without an operating license and unregistered money schemes are red flags.

4 Likes

Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Stephenmoka4(m): 10:57am On Aug 19, 2020
5.Forex and account management scammers.
They do boast of how they are good in managing your forex account, they show you proof of what you can't confirm. They claim to have the perfect signals and will teach you for some fees.
Do know, most of them have crashed their account and lost so much in the name of forex. They want to recover their losses through you. Be wise.

Tip; Do not believe every screenshot proof you see. Greed is evil, contentment is graceful.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Stephenmoka4(m): 10:57am On Aug 19, 2020
6. Romance scam
Guys desperate to meet a girl he saw on a dating app or social media, you may not know behind the scene - it could be a guy like you, trying to get attention. You may be told to pay airtime or transportation fee for a meet, sorry.
Girls looking for sugar daddies, be careful before they use you.

Tip; Not every social media account user match their social media profile.

6 Likes

Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Stephenmoka4(m): 10:58am On Aug 19, 2020
7. Virtual, 49ja and color tricks.
Bookmakers made winning fast for the impatient but, losing is the other side of the story that isn't displayed on the billboard.
There are people who claim they have tricks for virtual games, please do not fall for it. Virtual are automated and unpredictable.

Tips; Do not believe the false win proof.
Do not send money, it is fake.
Know that the "house always wins" in virtual.

12 Likes

Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Stephenmoka4(m): 10:59am On Aug 19, 2020
8. Cryptocurrency, Paypal and payment exchange scam.
People make their own websites and claim it is the home of a new E-currency. They assign monetary value to their newly invented currency and edit it everyday or week. They advertise how the currency is growing and fake users are joining everyday. Your money will only grow in their site and not in real life.

Do keep a watchful eyes on who is offering an exchange in certain currency (PayPal funds, Skrill, Cash app etc). They usually request you send money first and finally they block you.

Tip; Do not throw money on what you are not certain about.

9 Likes

Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Stephenmoka4(m): 11:00am On Aug 19, 2020
9. Travel agent scam.
They claim to have navigate the seven seas and can guarantee you visa and the likes. Please even the visa officer at the embassy can't gaurantee you anything, as you may be deported or rejected at the port of entry (for whatever reason)
They are very good at telling you stories of places they haven't been, they haven't even left their local government area.

Tips; Use the official source website of the destination country for support and information. Any problem, contact the official support team via live chat, email or phone (check official site for email or phone support).
Do not send money to online travel agent you don't know.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Stephenmoka4(m): 11:01am On Aug 19, 2020
10 Loan scam
These ones needs loans and not willing to pay back. They are not interested in using their banking institution as an option. Do know that you are doing giveaway by sending money, not loan. They will change phone number and block you after.

Tip: You are not a money lender.

5 Likes

Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by anthonyuncle(m): 11:21am On Aug 19, 2020
nice one.
thanks for dz
Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Stephenmoka4(m): 11:25am On Aug 19, 2020
Any other scams, do share with a comment. God bless you all.

These are their lines

1. For serious minded people only

2. Invest with us, scammers keep off. (they are the scammers)

3. I need just five persons, if you are not ready don't message me.

4. Others are earning, what are you doing.

5. They use terms like "we, our, us, my service" e.t.c.

6. First three people to send N5,000 gets extra N2,500. Limited.

7. They upload fake screenshots and tag it, one of our successful customer.

8. Join our VIP group (join at your risk)

9. Those that invest with us please send me proof, I want to show these doubting people

10. Payment first, we guarantee sure...

11. If you are not interested please go, Nigerians can't take risks.

12. Everything is scam, have you try me (and they are the scammers)

13. Matured minds only.

Their homes are:

WhatsApp TV (9/10)

Telegram channels (8.5/10)

Facebook (group and DM) (6/10)

VIP groups and DM (WhatsApp) (8/10)

DM to email (professional scammers) (5/10)

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by alexsoftwork(m): 11:49am On Aug 19, 2020
God bless the Writer, especially that forex one.

4 Likes

Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Stephenmoka4(m): 12:36pm On Aug 19, 2020
alexsoftwork:
God bless the Writer, especially that forex one.
God bless you too. smiley

6 Likes

Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Oladimejjy(m): 1:09pm On Aug 19, 2020
Got scammed like two months ago,If I had read this before then

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Stephenmoka4(m): 1:52pm On Aug 19, 2020
Oladimejjy:
Got scammed like two months ago,If I had read this before then
I'm sorry you had to experience that, it may be fun for them but, they had no idea how traumatic it is to victims.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by dahgifted(m): 2:03pm On Aug 19, 2020
cool
Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Missyajoke(f): 2:19pm On Aug 19, 2020
God bless you ohh
Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Stephenmoka4(m): 2:31pm On Aug 19, 2020
Missyajoke:
God bless you ohh
Bless you too, scammers would not like this posts. Some will soon come and start defending their acts.

2 Likes

Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Majikals(m): 2:32pm On Aug 19, 2020
Many scams are successful because they trigger the inner greed in the victims. First rule to avoid being scammed is "avoid and if you must, shine ur eyes for free and awof chop".

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Stephenmoka4(m): 2:47pm On Aug 19, 2020
Majikals:
Many scams are successful because they trigger the inner greed in the victims. First rule to avoid being scammed is "avoid and if you must, shine ur eyes for free and awof chop".
I even learnt that some scammers now lure by kindness too, after multiple series of been good to potential victim, they fire one last devastating shot that ruin the victim. That is when we hear stories of "I couldn't believe that... "It is not possible he would do this...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Majikals(m): 2:57pm On Aug 19, 2020
Stephenmoka4:
I even learnt that some scammers now lure by kindness too, after multiple series of been good to potential victim, they fire one last devastating shot that ruin the victim. That is when we hear stories of "I couldn't believe that... "It is not possible he would do this...
You have a point. There are some scams and deceits that you are prone to fall for no matter how careful you are because these kinds come from trusted family members and friends.

6 Likes

Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Stephenmoka4(m): 3:00pm On Aug 19, 2020
Majikals:

You have a point. There are some scams and deceits that you are prone to fall for no matter how careful you are because these kinds come from trusted family members and friends.
Family, insider for that matter. For the friend part, I know few people who fell for number 10 (loan). Good amount of money but, they all moved on. Quite sad.
Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Highbeepeeh(m): 3:05pm On Aug 19, 2020
Thankz for this. THO desperate or greed can only makes someone fall into the hole.
Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Nobody: 3:08pm On Aug 19, 2020
Thank you.. Bitcoin and doublers won't like this thread..

2 Likes

Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Nobody: 3:08pm On Aug 19, 2020
Thank you.. Bitcoin scammers and doublers won't like this thread..
Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Corbin: 3:15pm On Aug 19, 2020
Niceeee tips
Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Stephenmoka4(m): 3:16pm On Aug 19, 2020
Wolgrace:
Thank you.. Bitcoin and doublers won't like this thread..
This posts is a huge red flag for them.

1 Like

Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Nobody: 3:35pm On Aug 19, 2020
Crypto scam? Ah never hear this one oo
Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by gungab(m): 3:47pm On Aug 19, 2020
Common Meeenh

You nailed it
Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by Obzerfapex(m): 3:53pm On Aug 19, 2020
That is how I fell into Binomo scam the stupid lady told me to invest 45k that I will get double the money in 30 mins as I sent the money she just blocked me immediately

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 scams you must avoid. A MUST READ by MMempire(m): 4:00pm On Aug 19, 2020
The Best Post I Have Ever Encountered On Nairaland. Very Factual.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Beware Of Glory Hunters! See A Whatsapp Message I Got From A 'childhood Friend' / This Was What I Got After 5 Years In UNIBEN / Top 20 Best Universities In Nigeria For The Year 2019 (no. 14 Is Unbelievable)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.