Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,389 members, 7,808,376 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:07 AM

Django Or Node? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Django Or Node? (1741 Views)

Ruby On Rails Or Node.js / PHP Or Node JS? Here's My Honest Opinion / Which One Is Better: Python Django Or Php? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Django Or Node? by TheManOfTheYear: 11:22am On Aug 19, 2020
Good day devs, I'm currently learning web development for about 8 months now. I've picked up React and of course I'm still learning vanilla JavaScript, but perhaps next year, I would start learning a back-end language and framework, but I'm undecided on which one to pick.
Django or Nodejs, what do you think are the pros and cons of each?
Re: Django Or Node? by Ugaboy: 11:30am On Aug 19, 2020
Nodejs, is widely use by many web developers, if you care for extensive videos and material...i have it over 8GB of it study courses(check my signature)
Re: Django Or Node? by PtBlank: 2:07pm On Aug 19, 2020
Since you have already stated JavaScript, stick with Node, its JavaScript for the backend. When you're comfortable with that and have built some projects, you can decide to learn Python later
Re: Django Or Node? by TheManOfTheYear: 4:00pm On Aug 19, 2020
PtBlank:
Since you have already stated JavaScript, stick with Node, its JavaScript for the backend. When you're comfortable with that and have built some projects, you can decide to learn Python later
I really don't buy this idea of learning Node because I'll love to continue in the same language.. My decision would be based on which is more functional
Re: Django Or Node? by melodyogonna(m): 10:03pm On Aug 19, 2020
TheManOfTheYear:
I really don't buy this idea of learning Node because I'll love to continue in the same language.. My decision would be based on which is more functional
Python is definitely more versatile and has better industry leading libraries, but if you're looking for functionality perhaps you should look at Go or Java.

1 Like

Re: Django Or Node? by TheManOfTheYear: 10:14pm On Aug 19, 2020
melodyogonna:
Python is definitely more versatile and has better industry leading libraries, but if you're looking for functionality perhaps you should look at Go or Java.
Thanks for this
Re: Django Or Node? by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:37pm On Aug 19, 2020
Bros I am also in the same boat. I started learning nodejs. Dropped PHP for it since node is JavaScript and is want to spend more time mastering JavaScript but most job vacancies from big companies. Companies that can big salaries and sponsor work visas then to require c# as a language and angular as a framework. Na small startups wey no get money dey use node shocked sad
Re: Django Or Node? by Donpre(m): 11:12pm On Aug 19, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
Bros I am also in the same boat. I started learning nodejs. Dropped PHP for it since node is JavaScript and is want to spend more time mastering JavaScript but most job vacancies from big companies. Companies that can big salaries and sponsor work visas then to require c# as a language and angular as a framework. Na small startups wey no get money dey use node shocked sad
No clear path at all.
There's more than 5 backend languages, each (Python and php at least) has more than 5 backend frameworks. That's about 25 paths to follow
It's confusing making a pick.

There's also the React/Vue/Angular question that also doesn't have a clear cut answer.
I just tire guy.

Please do well to share more of your findings as you apply for jobs, it seems shiny popular technology doesn't translate to good paying jobs

1 Like

Re: Django Or Node? by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:04am On Aug 20, 2020
Donpre:

No clear path at all.
There's more than 5 backend languages, each (Python and php at least) has more than 5 backend frameworks. That's about 25 paths to follow
It's confusing making a pick.

There's also the React/Vue/Angular question that also doesn't have a clear cut answer.
I just tire guy.

Please do well to share more of your findings as you apply for jobs, it seems shiny popular technology doesn't translate to good paying jobs
Exactly bros. From my experience this is what I have noticed.

Big enterprises. Angular as a front end framework with either java or c# on the backend.

Medium sized companies. React as a frontend framework with php/laravel on the backend

Startups. React/Vue and nodejs or PHP but mostly nodejs.

KPMG was hiring for programmers. It's all angular and c# stack. Libra motors is also hiring. C#. Abroad too is the same thing. Many big companies with the means to sponsor visas and pay big salaries use either java or c# on the backend and angular on the frontend.
Re: Django Or Node? by Taofeekdboy(m): 5:54am On Aug 20, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Big enterprises. Angular as a front end framework with either java or c# on the backend.

Medium sized companies. React as a frontend framework with php/laravel on the backend

KPMG was hiring for programmers. It's all angular and c# stack. Libra motors is also hiring. C#. Abroad too is the same thing. Many big companies with the means to sponsor visas and pay big salaries use either java or c# on the backend and angular on the frontend.
The reason being that most big companies you see has been in place very long and most of them started with either Java or C#,. Net core technogies, so it is difficult to move away from that. My company is using. Net core stack and so on like that but new startups are now looking away from that... Giving rooms for other stacks.
Re: Django Or Node? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:45am On Aug 20, 2020
Taofeekdboy:

The reason being that most big companies you see has been in place very long and most of them started with either Java or C#,. Net core technogies, so it is difficult to move away from that. My company is using. Net core stack and so on like that but new startups are now looking away from that... Giving rooms for other stacks.
But why do they tend to use angular as a frontend framework over other frameworks. In order to get a job that comes with visa sponsorship would you advise someone to learn c# or java.
Re: Django Or Node? by ninety5: 7:54am On Aug 20, 2020
the first thing you should know is that these two things you are comparing are very different. Django js a framework for making web apps while nodejs is a runtime time environment which is used to run server side functionalities.

Though I am still relatively new to programming and have not laid my hands on either of the two, people often suggest Django (if you will move to backend) over other frameworks because it makes you understand good structural development practises.

I may be wrong anyway.
Re: Django Or Node? by Taofeekdboy(m): 8:06am On Aug 20, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

But why do they tend to use angular as a frontend framework over other frameworks. In order to get a job that comes with visa sponsorship would you advise someone to learn c# or java.
well, based on my experience with job search, most of this big companies at times use more than one backend language, Facebook and the likes. Angular is popular among them also because angular is a very large Javascript framework and it is pre-built with its libraries unlike React that depends on third party libraries. Angular comes with typescript which some developers fancy about. The truth of the matter is that, if you are so good with angular, other frameworks will be shit to you. But learning curve in angular is thrice React learning curve I.e, it is hard to learn.
As to what to learn as the backend, learn one bro and be good with it, it does not matter if the job is not much but it will give you the leverage when there is job openings for the language. I'm into Python(Django), Java, as the backend but not viable in Nigeria job market because of PHP but I can't leave it for PHP as it's time is also coming and foreign companies are using it as well.

3 Likes

Re: Django Or Node? by TheManOfTheYear: 9:14am On Aug 20, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
don't really agree with this, in back-end every language has its job niche..
You will be surprised that Ruby on rails even have more jobs than C#

Some of those big companies use Java and C# because that's what they've been using since and they cannot just transition like that.

They also use Angular because it is more suitable for large-scale web apps
Re: Django Or Node? by TheManOfTheYear: 9:19am On Aug 20, 2020
ninety5:
the first thing you should know is that these two things you are comparing are very different. Django js a framework for making web apps while nodejs is a runtime time environment which is used to run server side functionalities.

Though I am still relatively new to programming and have not laid my hands on either of the two, people often suggest Django (if you will move to backend) over other frameworks because it makes you understand good structural development practises.

I may be wrong anyway.
Thanks for your input but you're a little wrong.

Django is based on python while node is javascript for back-end.
Perhaps I should have put it more explicitly because node is just the language. Express.js is the framework for node while Django is the framework for python

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Django Or Node? by Enceladus(m): 12:47pm On Aug 20, 2020
##Personal opinions here

Go with Django. Why?

Every Good JavaScript developer knows it's a crap language that grew out of hand, so by default node and express automatic inherits that weakness. (Object prototypes, 33 == [33] will give you true can you guess why?, NaN === NaN will give you false e.t.c) so many tricky gotchas.

Also JavaScript is a single threaded programming language natively, so it doesn't yield itself easily to multithreading.

Python which django is based on the other hand is a very matured language with tons of library to make your backend development easy. Powerful ORM Present, Mature Authentication Present, Mature Template system Present e.t.c

Django enjoys all goodies from the Python ecosystem natively as Python is a powerful programming language older than most high level language and consequently has a lot of ready available powerful library to integrate with your website like machine learning, scraping content from other website, integration with powerful mid level languages like c and c++ natively for heavy computation like building a web based game or anything that involves large calculation.

Django too inherits some weakness from Python like single threading your app naturally but you can easily bypass that by creating more threads and process.

Here in Nigeria PHP and Java EE is king. So if you are concerned about ease of employment, php and java are the way to go.

Godspeed

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Django Or Node? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Aug 20, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

As in you got it , Node is mostly for startups, when they start to grow, they switch to more performant platforms like Java, Go and the likes. Though some use PHP for some Enterprise projects, they just use it for API Services and have alot of instances running them.

1 Like

Re: Django Or Node? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 20, 2020
Enceladus:
##Personal opinions here

Go with Django. Why?

Every Good JavaScript developer knows it's a crap language that grew out of hand, so by default node and express automatic inherits that weakness. (Object prototypes, 33 == [33] will give you true can you guess why?, NaN === NaN will give you false e.t.c) so many tricky gotchas.

Also JavaScript is a single threaded programming language natively, so it doesn't yield itself easily to multithreading.

Python which django is based on the other hand is a very matured language with tons of library to make your backend development easy. Powerful ORM Present, Mature Authentication Present, Mature Template system Present e.t.c

Django enjoys all goodies from the Python ecosystem natively as Python is a powerful programming language older than most high level language and consequently has a lot of ready available powerful library to integrate with your website like machine learning, scraping content from other website, integration with powerful mid level languages like c and c++ natively for heavy computation like building a web based game or anything that involves large calculation.

Django too inherits some weakness from Python like single threading your app naturally but you can easily bypass that by creating more threads and process.

Here in Nigeria PHP and Java EE is king. So if you are concerned about ease of employment, php and java are the way to go.

Godspeed

True a lot of PHP Projects, and PHP projects can earn you steadily especially on markets when you can sell code e.g Avada Theme author don builld mansion from 1 theme.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Django Or Node? by Anonime1105(m): 6:48pm On Aug 20, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

I have same observation,

Angular and Java/C# == highest pay, >5years experience

React and Laravel/Django == medium pay, >2years experience

React/Vue and nodeJs== least pay, Entry level experience
Re: Django Or Node? by devbits: 9:35pm On Aug 20, 2020
[quote author=Donpre post=93009888].
Re: Django Or Node? by devbits: 9:48pm On Aug 20, 2020
If you are learning node from backend, dont stick to only expressjs.... try your hands on adonis and nestjs
Truly from my survey on twitter on and dev forums I discovered it is only in Nigeria thats dandandan dan PHP, outside you easily see your stack role

for example... India, Thailand , united kingdom always looking for c sharp and python dev
in Nigeria most companies looking for python dev are in Abuja....

1 Like

Re: Django Or Node? by BoleAndFish: 9:55pm On Aug 20, 2020
Y'all are saying django doesn't have jobs in Nigeria?
Re: Django Or Node? by Donpre(m): 11:16pm On Aug 20, 2020
devbits:

Let me speak from both a job hunter and a programmer's experience...

In Nigeria there are more PHP jobs than Python. But me I will still stick to python and be wooing Golang.
About Frontend Framework... I cant deceive you m also in this field
companies both abroad and Naija Here prefer React, although some are transitioning to Vue because of simplicity but react still has the highest percentage.. as for angular those that are still using it do so because its part of their tech and transitioning may cost some cash and technical issues.

Punchline
If you are in Nigeria and want fast Job no matter the language you write.... know php
and a vue react
@bolded, why are you still with python... and for Golang, I only hear foreigners talk about it.
Re: Django Or Node? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:21pm On Aug 20, 2020
devbits:
If you are learning node from backend, dont stick to only expressjs.... try your hands on adonis and nestjs
Truly from my survey on twitter on and dev forums I discovered it is only in Nigeria thats dandandan dan PHP, outside you easily see your stack role

for example... India, Thailand , united kingdom always looking for c sharp and python dev
in Nigeria most companies looking for python dev are in Abuja....

Guy C sharp get plenty work for Naija o. I started job hunting two weeks ago and I have seen more C# jobs than php jobs. C# and Angular. Those two go hand in hand. Made me start regretting learning React. Anyway the learning never ends but if your goal is to get into a big company, it is better to learn C# and angular. Few people know it too sef.
Re: Django Or Node? by devbits: 11:44pm On Aug 20, 2020
Donpre:

@bolded, why are you still with python... and for Golang, I only hear foreigners talk about it.
Re: Django Or Node? by Taofeekdboy(m): 5:40am On Aug 21, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Guy C sharp get plenty work for Naija o. I started job hunting two weeks ago and I have seen more C# jobs than php jobs. C# and Angular. Those two go hand in hand. Made me start regretting learning React. Anyway the learning never ends but if your goal is to get into a big company, it is better to learn C# and angular. Few people know it too sef.
Like I said, C# and angular are used in those companies because it is what they have been using since and it is very hard to transition from those stacks because of their big size and data.
Quora as big as they are, they are still using JQuery as their frontend development. But you see angular, I will tell you that React job openings will beat angular anyday anytime, even Vue is starting to gain more popularity than angular. Here, every frontend development job must include React. Please don't regret learning any stack because it will still be useful somewhere around. I will stick to python and React anyday, anytime.

2 Likes

Re: Django Or Node? by pixey(m): 6:47am On Aug 21, 2020
Taofeekdboy:

Like I said, C# and angular are used in those companies because it is what they have been using since and it is very hard to transition from those stacks because of their big size and data.
Quora as big as they are, they are still using JQuery as their frontend development. But you see angular, I will tell you that React job openings will beat angular anyday anytime, even Vue is starting to gain more popularity than angular. Here, every frontend development job must include React. Please don't regret learning any stack because it will still be useful somewhere around. I will stick to python and React anyday, anytime.
Seconded!These two are highly demanded.
Re: Django Or Node? by bet9ja(m): 10:47am On Aug 21, 2020
Taofeekdboy:
well, based on my experience with job search, most of this big companies at times use more than one backend language, Facebook and the likes. Angular is popular among them also because angular is a very large Javascript framework and it is pre-built with its libraries unlike React that depends on third party libraries. Angular comes with typescript which some developers fancy about. The truth of the matter is that, if you are so good with angular, other frameworks will be shit to you. But learning curve in angular is thrice React learning curve I.e, it is hard to learn.
As to what to learn as the backend, learn one bro and be good with it, it does not matter if the job is not much but it will give you the leverage when there is job openings for the language. I'm into Python(Django), Java, as the backend but not viable in Nigeria job market because of PHP but I can't leave it for PHP as it's time is also coming and foreign companies are using it as well.

I concur with you. Nowadays, many developer are routing for React, but the truth is, Angula is a fully flag frontend framework that is scallable, while react is just a Library. When you work with Angular, other frameworks will truly look like shit.
Re: Django Or Node? by BoleAndFish: 10:56am On Aug 21, 2020
devbits:

I wish i can transition to other language and stack... but olohun i have gone with python and django... but if i will later transistion it iwl c sharp.. i know am very well but havent used it web development before
From what you're saying, you'll advice a newbie (that's looking at job opportunities) to go for c# rather than python django?

ColeDrain what do you have to say here?
Re: Django Or Node? by ColeDrain(m): 6:35pm On Aug 21, 2020
BoleAndFish:
From what you're saying, you'll advice a newbie (that's looking at job opportunities) to go for c# rather than python django?

ColeDrain what do you have to say here?

Hey man.
Programming languages, web frameworks or engines are just tools, all have their strengths and weaknesses, there's no 'perfect guy'.

Most people use express.js with node.js for backend specific purpose.

I have used Django and it's pretty okay so let me talk about it, it's scalable, and you can build web applications very fast with it. The fun thing about Django is that it is a python web framework, and python arguably is one of the easiest programming languages to pick, the easiness doesn't mean python isn't powerful, it is very powerful, I think Instagram and YouTube use python.

I find JS as a convoluted language, it's good, it's fast, but the complexities it brings some times, sure you can get over them.

So I would recommend Django for a beginner.
If you already have knowledge of JS, you can use express.js with node.js.
If it's about getting a job: PHP, java are more popular in Nigeria market (I think), stats in Nigeria are very scarce.

Don't only be seeking job in Nigeria sha, look outside too sha.

P:S Some may mention JS is faster than python, but with the kind of servers and clients we have speed doesn't matter so much.

3 Likes

Re: Django Or Node? by devbits: 8:38pm On Aug 21, 2020
ColeDrain:

Hey man.
Programming languages, web frameworks or engines are just tools, all have their strengths and weaknesses, there's no 'perfect guy'.

Most people use express.js with node.js for backend specific purpose.

I have used Django and it's pretty okay so let me talk about it, it's scalable, and you can build web applications very fast with it. The fun thing about Django is that it is a python web framework, and python arguably is one of the easiest programming languages to pick, the easiness doesn't mean python isn't powerful, it is very powerful, I think[b] Instagram[/b] and YouTube use python.

I find JS as a convoluted language, it's good, it's fast, but the complexities it brings some times, sure you can get over them.

So I would recommend Django for a beginner.
If you already have knowledge of JS, you can use express.js with node.js.
If it's about getting a job: PHP, java are more popular in Nigeria market (I think) stats in Nigeria are very scarce.

Don't only be seeking job in Nigeria sha, look outside too sha.

P:S Some may mention JS is faster than python, but with the kind of servers and clients we have speed doesn't matter so much.

What coledrain said here at the bolded is the complete truth, if you are looking for job in Nigeria consider php, java and C#(especially banks).

PS: You need to be sound while applying abroad as most of the job will be remote

(1) (Reply)

Do You Need Unix Account? / Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.