Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,953 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech (2041 Views)

Everybody Is A Javascript Developer On Nigerian Tech Twitter / Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. / Is Web Development The Only Lucrative IT Field In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by Fr4nk(m): 7:18pm On May 13, 2022
It's either person X is a full stack developer, frontend developer, or back end developer, using WXYZ stack all the time, why do I rarely come across people like person Z who is an IoT programmer, or person Y who just built a pothole detector with Open CV, Tensor flow etc, for a semi automated car prototype.
I feel like if some people like me here in this country are going to be motivated to pursue tech careers other than Web development, we'll need Nigerians to inspire and motivate us, let us believe that we are not lying to ourselves when we dream of these careers and that it is absolutely possible for Nigerians like us to do well in these fields.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:54pm On May 13, 2022
The most important thing is to know how to code. Know the fundamental data structures and algorithms and you can pretty much survive in any field of software. As for why Nigerians aren't in those fields yet it's cause there arent much jobs for them out there.

12 Likes

Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by Belkid01(m): 7:58pm On May 13, 2022
There aren't enough systems and structures yet, that supports other forms of development e.g. Game Dev, ML etc...

The community is next to zero here...

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by niel63(m): 9:17pm On May 13, 2022
We are still an emerging market. 90% of our people do not understand the culture of the world wide web.

It is still an entry point... just like your index.js grin grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by Fr4nk(m): 11:17pm On May 13, 2022
niel63:
We are still an emerging market. 90% of our people do not understand the culture of the world wide web.

It is still an entry point... just like your index.js grin grin grin grin

I'm not a pro in web but I thought it was main.js grin XD

1 Like

Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by Fr4nk(m): 11:20pm On May 13, 2022
Belkid01:
There aren't enough [b]systems and structures [/b]yet, that supports other forms of development e.g. Game Dev, ML etc...

The community is next to zero here...

I understand the lack of community but I don't understand the systems and structures part

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by Nobody: 12:11am On May 14, 2022
Fr4nk:

I'm not a pro in web but I thought it was main.js grin XD
He’s talking about react.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by Fr4nk(m): 12:23am On May 14, 2022
Rgade:

Like I said, I no sabi web grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by niel63(m): 8:51am On May 14, 2022
Rgade:

Lol, no be only react oo bro! Express, Nestjs...
Some can be dist/main.js or bundle.js or server.js
Depends if ure using default bundler name or you change am.
Me I dey change am all to index.js most times

Frontend or Backend.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by airsaylongcome: 9:04am On May 14, 2022
You talk about IoT. How many people can afford to buy an IoT board? Someone on these streets bought a Raspberry Pi 3 A (which in my opinion has reduced functionality) for 18k. For one board o? A full fledged RPi4 is like 53k. Let’s not even talk of a CM4 and it’s various boards which aren’t even available in Nigeria.

People have to start from what is readily available and easier to achieve.

9 Likes

Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by Nobody: 1:24pm On May 14, 2022
niel63:

Lol, no be only react oo bro! Express, Nestjs...
Some can be dist/main.js or bundle.js or server.js
Depends if ure using default bundler name or you change am.
Me I dey change am all to index.js most times

Frontend or Backend.
Thanks for the extra knowledge.
Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by Nobody: 2:19pm On May 14, 2022
I am a mobile dev and I have dealt with IOT in the past as well. If I had to choose my career all over again, I wouldn’t even go close to mobile dev with an inch because the type of device compatibility problems you face can make you cry yourself to sleep. Build time on your project depending on the complexity can take as long as 15 minutes. Also Depending on how good your machine is. IDE such as Xcode and Android Studio can frustrate your life.

Now imagine embedded systems engineer primarily using c++ and how his daily job would be.

After all of this you now have very few opportunities in this path in Nigeria, therefore employers will be pricing you like tomatoes.

Game development too is hard, and they are very few roles which eventually make game devs run out of jobs, at the end they end up pivoting to web development.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by Sheriman(m): 5:20pm On May 14, 2022
We should answer this question as why Nigerians are not many in 3D Animation using Autodesk products.
Where is the machine to run these software and where will you find money to subscribe before getting license.
Nigerians will want to go to a field where they will see available job to get, available resources to learn, the community to get experience and the machine to use.
You can not use the same 4GIG RAM 500HDD core i3 machine you use to develop website for mobile Android application. It wouldn't work. Mobile Android/IOS development and game development are expensive. The resources, documentation are scarce and you need high end machine to smoothly run Xcode and Android Studio which is quite expensive for new person who want to go to Game or Mobile development.

6 Likes

Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by digitite: 6:05pm On May 14, 2022
Because that's what an average Nigerian understands at this point. But with time, prepare for :

The Evolution of Web 3.0 Technologies

- Smart Contracts
- Crytocurrencies
- Blockchain
- Machine Learning
- Artificial Intelligence
- Augmented Reality
- Virtual Reality
- Advanced Networking ( e.g. 5G )
- Edge Computing
- Geo location Services
- Tokens

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by ichidodo: 9:39pm On May 14, 2022
Because most developers are after their meal tickets, why would I code a complex ML project or portfolio when there isn't any need for that kind of skill in our local tech space? when the next big thing is flutter, react native, node js and all other shiny, glitzy web app building BS...most cases you build these non web-app projects for your own personal use...That's why I love Python. You can use its extensive libraries to build apps that are not only utilitarian but practical...

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by Fr4nk(m): 9:49pm On May 14, 2022
ichidodo:
Because most developers are after their meal tickets, why would I code a complex ML project or portfolio when there isn't any need for that kind of skill in our local tech space? when the next big thing is flutter, react native, node js and all other shiny, glitzy web app building BS...most cases you build these non web-app projects for your own personal use...That's why I love Python. You can use its extensive libraries to build apps that are not only utilitarian but practical...

Fellow pythonista I understand your POV, 9ja devs are coding for a living, if all programmers in the world where Nigerian, then there probably won't be anything like Free and Open Source Software, I code for the passion and not really to survive, its cool when I get paid to do what I love though but its even cooler when your making your own unique ideas whether or not you get paid for it, Elon musk said a lot of people would rather settle for a boring job for the pay (paraphrased) instead of working on something exciting, its hard to imagine 9ja devs doing something cool at places like Tesla, SpaceX or neuralink when na only web development we dey practice.

Mark Zuckerberg didn't create Facebook just because someone was going to pay him for it, he made his own idea a reality and ended up earning billions because he invested in his own idea.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by Fr4nk(m): 9:51pm On May 14, 2022
Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by ichidodo: 10:17pm On May 14, 2022
Fr4nk:

Fellow pythonista I understand your POV, 9ja devs are coding for a living, if all programmers in the world where Nigerian, then there probably won't be anything like Free and Open Source Software, I code for the passion and not really to survive, its cool when I get paid to do what I love though but its even cooler when your making your own unique ideas whether or not you get paid for it, Elon musk said a lot of people would rather settle for a boring job for the pay (paraphrased) instead of working on something exciting, its hard to imagine 9ja devs doing something cool at places like Tesla, SpaceX or neuralink when na only web development we dey practice.

Mark Zuckerberg didn't create Facebook just because someone was going to pay him for it, he made his own idea a reality and ended up earning billions because he invested in his own idea.
Most 9ja developers like the greater 9ja society like shortcuts and are copycats, most are only into the program for a steady job, hell even the most deluded think its a key to great wealth something akin to a get rich quick scheme, which is why there is a greater emphasis on how much you earn instead of how much impact your codes or technologies have made in solving humanity's problem (which ironically is where the big bucks lie)...Most 9ja developers don't know that they more they place their priorities incorrectly, they face the risks of becoming obsolete because they get so rigid and attached to tech that got them their 'big Buck job' and get cast off when that tech has been rendered obsolete by a new tech....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by Fr4nk(m): 10:47pm On May 14, 2022
ichidodo:
Most 9ja developers like the greater 9ja society like shortcuts and are copycats, most are only into the program for a steady job, hell even the most deluded think its a key to great wealth something akin to a get rich quick scheme, which is why there is a greater emphasis on how much you earn instead of how much impact your codes or technologies have made in solving humanity's problem (which ironically is where the big bucks lie)...Most 9ja developers don't know that they more they place their priorities incorrectly, they face the risks of becoming obsolete because they get so rigid and attached to tech that got them their 'big Buck job' and get cast off when that tech has been rendered obsolete by a new tech....

I hope to either go into data science and/or AI/ML, because I feel like there's a lot of cool stuff that is yet to be made in this field, and especially by a Nigerian, even if I want a job I'm not going to aim for one Nigerian company that may or may not exist, I would like to work somewhere where such technologies are highly appreciated,

Here's the crazy part:
As a Nigerian hoping to work in a big tech company you have to really prove your worth by making meaningful contributions to open source, prove that you are worth that work visa, its much easier to focus on building your dream project when you are earning six figures in dollars and with a better standard of living.
Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:48pm On May 14, 2022
Fr4nk:

I hope to either go into data science and/or AI/ML, because I feel like there's a lot of cool stuff that is yet to be made in this field, and especially by a Nigerian, even if I want a job I'm not going to aim for one Nigerian company that may or may not exist, I would like to work somewhere where such technologies are highly appreciated,

Here's the crazy part:
As a Nigerian hoping to work in a big tech company you have to really prove your worth by making meaningful contributions to open source, prove that you are worth that work visa, its much easier to focus on building your dream project when you are earning six figures in dollars and with a better standard of living.

Story for the gods. No go buy leetcode premium. Open source ko, open source ni grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by Fr4nk(m): 10:49pm On May 14, 2022
Fr4nk:

Here's the crazy part:

Sad part is, open source sucks to some 9ja devs because it ain't bringing profit

(Disclaimer: using git as a VCS for your own projects doesn't really count as contributing to open source)
Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by Fr4nk(m): 10:54pm On May 14, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Story for the gods. No go buy leetcode premium. Open source ko, open source ni grin grin grin

Actually, that's just one of the requirements, being good at the interview also matters too lol

https://www.quora.com/I-come-from-a-third-world-country-where-software-developers-are-underpaid-and-theres-actually-no-serious-software-company-Im-a-pretty-serious-software-developer-What-should-I-do

read this to understand my point

1 Like

Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by Fr4nk(m): 10:58pm On May 14, 2022
Open source matters too

Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:00pm On May 14, 2022
Fr4nk:

Actually, that's just one of the requirements, being good at the interview also matters too lol

https://www.quora.com/I-come-from-a-third-world-country-where-software-developers-are-underpaid-and-theres-actually-no-serious-software-company-Im-a-pretty-serious-software-developer-What-should-I-do

read this to understand my point

Trust me its not. Companies do not care about most of these things The guy who created homebrew was invited to google's coding interview and he was asked to invert a binary tree and he couldnt and google failed him. Almost every dev who uses a macbook uses homebrew. Theres this other guy who was had this massive open source project. A project being used by even fortune 500 companies. He was kicked out of his house cause he couldnt pay rent. He tried to make companies pay by delisting the project from npm but he was locked out of the repo by github.

The open source world isnt as glamorous as you think it is. Highest open source will do for you is get you an interview but anyone can get a faang interview if they message the right recruiter.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by Fr4nk(m): 11:02pm On May 14, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Trust me its not. Companies do not care about most of these things The guy who created homebrew was invited to google's coding interview and he was asked to invert a binary tree and he couldnt and google failed him. Almost every dev who uses a macbook uses homebrew. Theres this other guy who was had this massive open source project. A project being used by even fortune 500 companies. He was kicked out of his house cause he couldnt pay rent. He tried to make companies pay by delisting the project from npm but he was locked out of the repo by github.

The open source world isnt as glamorous as you think it is. Highest open source will do for you is get you an interview but anyone can get a faang interview if they message the right recruiter.

At least you proved one of my points, "Highest open source will do for you is get you an interview", just because I said open source matters doesn't mean one should ignore all the other important steps
Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:08pm On May 14, 2022
Fr4nk:

At least you proved one of my points, "Highest open source will do for you is get you an interview", just because I said open source matters doesn't mean one should ignore all the other important steps

But a lot of work for what others just need to send the right linkedin message to the right person or ask their friends to get them an interview.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by Fr4nk(m): 11:09pm On May 14, 2022
Its almost like being a Nigerian is already a minus one for those in this field. Lol grin
Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by Kelechi009: 4:11am On May 15, 2022
My brother has this same issue as well. Ported to web dev.
Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by Sheddy5(m): 5:23am On May 15, 2022
ichidodo:
bro, does learning python programing involve reading and practice?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by Fr4nk(m): 6:59am On May 15, 2022
Sheddy5:

bro, does learning python programing involve reading and practice?

Well, yes it does undecided
Unless you're a visual learner who prefers watching videos
Python video tutorials are also available to you
Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by Sheddy5(m): 7:36am On May 15, 2022
Fr4nk:

Well, yes it does undecided
Unless you're a visual learner who prefers watching videos
Python video tutorials are also available to you

i prefer both of them, but can i get the complete course as video and also as ebook
Re: Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech by Newusername(m): 7:43am On May 15, 2022
digitite:
Because that's what an average Nigerian understands at this point. But with time, prepare for :

The Evolution of Web 3.0 Technologies

- Smart Contracts
- Crytocurrencies
- Blockchain
- Machine Learning
- Artificial Intelligence
- Augmented Reality
- Virtual Reality
- Advanced Networking ( e.g. 5G )
- Edge Computing
- Geo location Services
- Tokens

It will be wise if someone thats learning some of what you outlined.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help,how Do I Send Data From An Msaccess Table To A Label In My Vb6 Appl / Java Programming & Android App Development Tutorials / HTML For Absolute Beginner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.