Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,362 members, 7,812,030 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:41 AM

Is The Rock Opera Jesus Christ Superstar Biblical? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Rock Opera Jesus Christ Superstar Biblical? (673 Views)

Jesus Christ Superstar(1973) / Jesus Christ Superstar / 300 Workers Resign From Pastor Paul Adefarasin’s House On The Rock Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Rock Opera Jesus Christ Superstar Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:08pm On Aug 21, 2020
Is the rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar biblical?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMhpqws6wDM

here?
Re: Is The Rock Opera Jesus Christ Superstar Biblical? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 21, 2020
the cure for all disease has been found, check my signature
Re: Is The Rock Opera Jesus Christ Superstar Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:07pm On Aug 23, 2020
OLAADEGBU:

Is the rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar biblical?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMhpqws6wDM

here?

Question: "Is the rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar biblical?"

Answer: The rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice and the movie of the same name, directed by Norman Jewison, tell the story of the final days of Jesus. The opera’s theme deals with fame and how popularity can deceive and corrupt.

Superficially at least, Jesus Christ Superstar contains many elements of the biblical narrative: Jesus has disciples, and He teaches. The priests Caiaphas and Annas, out of jealousy and fear, foment a plot to destroy Jesus. Mary Magdalene and other women serve Him. Judas plans to betray Him. Jesus enters Jerusalem amid celebration, cleanses the temple, and eats a meal with His disciples. After He prays in a garden, He is arrested, taken before several officials, and beaten. Peter denies knowing the Lord, and Judas hangs himself. Jesus is crucified. None of this conflicts with the biblical record.

Upon closer inspection, however, the biblical failings of Jesus Christ Superstar become apparent. When a story is retold, a certain amount of interpretation is required. The author's ideas, presuppositions, and opinions are injected. In this retelling of Jesus' passion, the character and motivations of both Jesus and Judas are re-imagined and reinterpreted.

Judas has the first song. In it, he complains that Jesus has been caught up in His own fame and rages over the fact that Jesus won't listen to him. Judas calls Jesus’ followers “blind," accuses them of twisting Jesus’ words, and expresses a desire to “strip away the myth from the man.” Considering these words come from Judas, we might be prone to dismiss them as a villain's distortion. However, the insistence that Jesus is “just a man" is repeated later by Mary Magdalene in one of the opera’s most famous songs, “I Don’t Know How to Love Him."

In the next scene, Judas objects to Mary's proximity to Jesus. He warns Jesus of the scandal that will erupt if Jesus is not more careful. Later, when Mary anoints Jesus, Judas objects again, reminding Jesus that their mission is to the poor. Jesus' response is for Judas to “enjoy the good” while he has it. Throughout this scene, we have the contrast of Mary’s telling Jesus to “close your eyes," versus Judas’s trying to open His eyes to the needs of society; as Mary sings, “Relax," Judas urges action on behalf of the poor. No mention is made of Judas's greed and thievery (John 12:6).

When Jesus enters Jerusalem, there is a celebration of His being a “superstar." Interestingly, Jesus only rides on the donkey for a short time. When he enters the city, He walks with the crowd until he sits down with some children. Also, unlike the biblical account, the praise is not quite spontaneous. Jesus initiates the singing at one point, and He even commands the crowd to “sing me your songs." He briefly teaches about the Kingdom of God, saying, “You can win it."

The next scene has Jesus surrounded by adoring multitudes. There is a mention of salvation and a belief in God as the crowd offers Him their devotion and a kingdom. Judas looks on in disgust and disbelief. Jesus ends the celebration by speaking of death, which He says can only be conquered by dying. There is no mention of Jesus as the Life and no prediction of His resurrection.

In a later scene, Jesus is surrounded by people who need healing. No one is healed; rather, an overwhelmed Jesus cries out, “There’s too many of you. There’s too little of me. Leave me alone!"

When Judas meets with the Jewish council to betray Jesus, he makes it clear that he is only trying to “save" Jesus, who has let His own popularity spiral out of control. He takes the money they offer him unwillingly.

During the Last Supper, the disciples dream of lasting fame. Jesus bitterly accuses His disciples about not caring about Him: “For all you care, this wine could be my blood! For all you care, this bread could be my body!" He tells them to remember Him when they eat, but then He says, “I must be mad, thinking you’ll remember me!” Judas leaves to complete the betrayal, because Jesus tells him he must.

Jesus' prayer in the garden is very telling. He admits that He has changed, that He is no longer inspired. Now He's only “sad and tired." After three years of trying to serve God, Jesus has lost His original vision. Considering becoming a martyr, Jesus selfishly asks, “Will I be more noticed? What will be my reward?" This statement is in direct contrast to Judas’s unselfishness in not wanting a reward for his betrayal. At the end of His prayer, Jesus finally submits to God’s plan—sort of. The song ends with an equivocation: “Take me now, before I change my mind."

When Jesus is arrested, His disciples talk of fighting for Him. Jesus rebukes them with these words: “Stick to fishing from now on.” This is as close to the Great Commission as the opera ever gets.

Pilate repeatedly calls Jesus “Someone Christ," a name which emphasizes the fact that Jesus is a nobody—a fact which Jesus is desperately attempting to change through His martyrdom. Through the various trials, Judas keeps close by, wanting to see what will happen. Judas then returns the money to the priests, again expressing his wish to “save” Jesus.

In Pilate’s second interview with Jesus, he asks Jesus if He is a king. Jesus’ answer is fuzzy at best: “I have no kingdom. In this world, I’m through. There may be a kingdom for me somewhere, if you only knew” (see John 18:36-37 for Jesus’ real answer). When the mob cries out for His crucifixion, Pilate delivers a series of accusations against Jesus: “He’s mad, ought to be locked up . . . he’s a sad little man, not a king or god . . . he’s misguided, thinks he’s important . . . a misguided martyr . . . a misguided puppet.” (What Pilate actually said was, “I find no basis for a charge against him” [John 18:38].)

After Jesus is whipped, the music immediately (and significantly) shifts into the “Superstar" theme. This is a way of saying that the martyrdom has begun, and Jesus has won His fame. This idea is stressed in Judas’s final song, in which he mentions both Buddha and Mohammed but says that Jesus has more appeal because of how He died. The opera ends with Jesus’ crucifixion. There is no resurrection.

To summarise the theme of Jesus Christ Superstar, Jesus was not divine but was a fascinating and magnetic man of good intentions who let things get out of control. Overwhelmed by His own fame, He desired to return to a simpler, more sincere life, but He couldn't. Of the disciples, only Judas recognized what was happening. He hated what Jesus had become but still loved Him and wanted to help Him. Jesus saw only one way out of His predicament: to die as a martyr; then, perhaps, some of His good teaching might be remembered.

Of course, this is not biblical. Jesus is more than just a man; He is the Son of God (John 10:30). Jesus never lost sight of His mission to seek and save the lost (Luke 19:10), which required His sacrificial death on the cross as payment for our sin (1 Peter 3:18). Jesus did not just die; He rose again (1 Peter 1:3).

Jesus Christ Superstar is more than a popular opera that happens to get some facts wrong. It is an attempt to rewrite history. It makes the traitor Judas Iscariot a victim and reduces the Lord Jesus Christ to a burnt-out celebrity who is in over His head.

here
Re: Is The Rock Opera Jesus Christ Superstar Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:37pm On Aug 24, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loU1i_52tBk

Jesus Christ Superstar | Billy Graham Classic
Re: Is The Rock Opera Jesus Christ Superstar Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:08am On Aug 27, 2020
8 Biblical Inaccuracies In Jesus Christ Superstar

John Legend as Jesus in NBC’s ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’ | Photo: NBC/Peter Kramer
by Aaron Wilson

Millions of people considered the final days of Christ this Easter not from the pew—but from the comfort of the couch as they tuned in to NBC’s prime-time musical, Jesus Christ Superstar.

The live airing of the controversial 1970 rock opera was the most-watched show in America this Easter Sunday, drawing more than 9 million viewers, according to Nielsen ratings.

While some Christians celebrated this reception, others criticized the musical’s deviation from the biblical narrative.

As Superstar spawns new conversations around the water cooler, here are eight of the most significant biblical inaccuracies you should be aware of in the musical.

READ MORE >>>
Re: Is The Rock Opera Jesus Christ Superstar Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:50pm On Aug 27, 2020
OLAADEGBU:
8 Biblical Inaccuracies In Jesus Christ Superstar

John Legend as Jesus in NBC’s ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’ | Photo: NBC/Peter Kramer
by Aaron Wilson

Millions of people considered the final days of Christ this Easter not from the pew—but from the comfort of the couch as they tuned in to NBC’s prime-time musical, Jesus Christ Superstar.

The live airing of the controversial 1970 rock opera was the most-watched show in America this Easter Sunday, drawing more than 9 million viewers, according to Nielsen ratings.

While some Christians celebrated this reception, others criticized the musical’s deviation from the biblical narrative.

As Superstar spawns new conversations around the water cooler, here are eight of the most significant biblical inaccuracies you should be aware of in the musical.

READ MORE >>>

1. Jesus Didn't Understand His Path

The Jesus in Superstar seems confused about his calling. The audience first gets a taste of this when Christ tells his followers, “If you knew the path we’re riding, you’d understand it less than I."

But it's in the musical’s Gethsemane where Jesus' puzzlement about his mission is most clearly articulated.

Jesus tells God the Father, "Show me there's a reason for your wanting me to die. You're far too keen on where and how and not so hot on why."

Contrast this to Jesus' actual words in Matthew 20:18-19 and John 3:14-16 where He foretells His death and resurrection and expresses confidence in the purpose of His mission.

READ MORE >>>
Re: Is The Rock Opera Jesus Christ Superstar Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:06am On Aug 28, 2020
OLAADEGBU:

1. Jesus Didn't Understand His Path

The Jesus in Superstar seems confused about his calling. The audience first gets a taste of this when Christ tells his followers, “If you knew the path we’re riding, you’d understand it less than I."

But it's in the musical’s Gethsemane where Jesus' puzzlement about his mission is most clearly articulated.

Jesus tells God the Father, "Show me there's a reason for your wanting me to die. You're far too keen on where and how and not so hot on why."

Contrast this to Jesus' actual words in Matthew 20:18-19 and John 3:14-16 where He foretells His death and resurrection and expresses confidence in the purpose of His mission.

READ MORE >>>

2. Mary Magdalene Had A Romantic Interest In Jesus

Superstar has Mary follow Jesus not so much as the Saviour, but as a crush.

In the musical number "I Don't Know How to Love Him," she tells herself, “He’s just a man. And I’ve had so many men before. In very many ways, he's just one more…. Should I speak of love? Let my feelings out?"

Other scenes tease a romantic tension between the two, such as when Mary anoints Jesus with oil.

Jesus says, “That feels nice, so nice. Mary, that is good,” to which Judas offers the reprimand, "Yes, I can understand that she amuses but to let her stroke you, kiss your hair, is hardly in your line."

The Scriptures never indicate Mary followed Jesus out of romantic interest, but because he delivered her from seven demons (Luke 8:2).

READ MORE >>>
Re: Is The Rock Opera Jesus Christ Superstar Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:43pm On Aug 28, 2020
OLAADEGBU:

2. Mary Magdalene Had A Romantic Interest In Jesus

Superstar has Mary follow Jesus not so much as the Saviour, but as a crush.

In the musical number "I Don't Know How to Love Him," she tells herself, “He’s just a man. And I’ve had so many men before. In very many ways, he's just one more…. Should I speak of love? Let my feelings out?"

Other scenes tease a romantic tension between the two, such as when Mary anoints Jesus with oil.

Jesus says, “That feels nice, so nice. Mary, that is good,” to which Judas offers the reprimand, "Yes, I can understand that she amuses but to let her stroke you, kiss your hair, is hardly in your line."

The Scriptures never indicate Mary followed Jesus out of romantic interest, but because he delivered her from seven demons (Luke 8:2).

READ MORE >>>

3. Jesus Had A Complex About Not Being Remembered

A major theme in Superstar is personal legacy. For this reason, the musical's portrayal of the Last Supper has Jesus exasperated at the thought his disciples aren't paying him enough attention.

Jesus complains, "I must be mad thinking I'll be remembered, yes I must be out of my head…. My name will mean nothing 10 minutes after I'm dead!"

According to the Bible, Jesus was never insecure about His glory or motivated to pursue the cross out of fear of irrelevance. Rather, for the eternal joy set before Him, he endured the cross (Hebrews 12:2).

READ MORE >>>
Re: Is The Rock Opera Jesus Christ Superstar Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:09am On Aug 31, 2020
OLAADEGBU:

3. Jesus Had A Complex About Not Being Remembered

A major theme in Superstar is personal legacy. For this reason, the musical's portrayal of the Last Supper has Jesus exasperated at the thought his disciples aren't paying him enough attention.

Jesus complains, "I must be mad thinking I'll be remembered, yes I must be out of my head…. My name will mean nothing 10 minutes after I'm dead!"

According to the Bible, Jesus was never insecure about His glory or motivated to pursue the cross out of fear of irrelevance. Rather, for the eternal joy set before Him, he endured the cross (Hebrews 12:2).

READ MORE >>>

4. Jesus "Checked Out" Of Sovereignty While He Slept.

In the song "Everything’s Alright," an exhausted Jesus is comforted by Mary’s words, "Try not to get worried…. Let the world turn without you tonight."

During a reprise of the number, Jesus takes Mary’s advice, saying, “I think I shall sleep well tonight. Let the world turn without me."

While Jesus clearly got exhausted and sought sleep, Colossians 1:17 also states, "by him [Jesus] all things hold together." The incarnation didn't negate Jesus' sovereign control over the universe.

READ MORE >>>
Re: Is The Rock Opera Jesus Christ Superstar Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:59pm On Sep 02, 2020
OLAADEGBU:

4. Jesus "Checked Out" Of Sovereignty While He Slept.

In the song "Everything’s Alright," an exhausted Jesus is comforted by Mary’s words, "Try not to get worried…. Let the world turn without you tonight."

During a reprise of the number, Jesus takes Mary’s advice, saying, “I think I shall sleep well tonight. Let the world turn without me."

While Jesus clearly got exhausted and sought sleep, Colossians 1:17 also states, "by him [Jesus] all things hold together." The incarnation didn't negate Jesus' sovereign control over the universe.

READ MORE >>>

5. Jesus Rejected The Hurting And Taught Self-Help

In Superstar, Jesus is overwhelmed by the crowds seeking healing and pushes them away crying, "There's too many of you; don't push me. There's too little of me; don't crowd me. Heal yourselves!"

This sounds quite different from the biblical account of Jesus who had compassion on the multitudes and healed all kinds of diseases (Matthew 14:14).

Moreover, the overarching message of the Bible teaches Jesus came precisely because people couldn't heal themselves.

READ MORE >>>
Re: Is The Rock Opera Jesus Christ Superstar Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:59am On Sep 03, 2020
OLAADEGBU:

5. Jesus Rejected The Hurting And Taught Self-Help

In Superstar, Jesus is overwhelmed by the crowds seeking healing and pushes them away crying, "There's too many of you; don't push me. There's too little of me; don't crowd me. Heal yourselves!"

This sounds quite different from the biblical account of Jesus who had compassion on the multitudes and healed all kinds of diseases (Matthew 14:14).

Moreover, the overarching message of the Bible teaches Jesus came precisely because people couldn't heal themselves.

READ MORE >>>

6. Jesus Didn't Choose His Path To The Cross.

In John 10:17-18, Jesus shows complete authority and willingness to lay down His life and raise it again.

But in Superstar, he appears to argue with God the Father, saying, "Alright, I'll die! Just watch me die! See how I die! Kill me. Take me now before I change my mind."

READ MORE >>>
Re: Is The Rock Opera Jesus Christ Superstar Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:15pm On Sep 06, 2020
OLAADEGBU:

6. Jesus Didn't Choose His Path To The Cross.

In John 10:17-18, Jesus shows complete authority and willingness to lay down His life and raise it again.

But in Superstar, he appears to argue with God the Father, saying, "Alright, I'll die! Just watch me die! See how I die! Kill me. Take me now before I change my mind."

READ MORE >>>

7. Jesus Didn't Comprehend The Kingdom Of God.

The New Testament includes the phrases "kingdom of God" and "kingdom of heaven" more than 90 times.

This was one of Christ's favourite subjects to talk about in the Gospel accounts. However, in Superstar, Jesus expresses uncertainty there is a kingdom for Him.

In the track "Trial Before Pilate/39 Lashes," Jesus says, “I have got no kingdom in this world. I'm through, through, through. There may be a kingdom for me somewhere, if I only knew."

READ MORE >>>
Re: Is The Rock Opera Jesus Christ Superstar Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:00pm On Sep 10, 2020
OLAADEGBU:

7. Jesus Didn't Comprehend The Kingdom Of God.

The New Testament includes the phrases "kingdom of God" and "kingdom of heaven" more than 90 times.

This was one of Christ's favourite subjects to talk about in the Gospel accounts. However, in Superstar, Jesus expresses uncertainty there is a kingdom for Him.

In the track "Trial Before Pilate/39 Lashes," Jesus says, “I have got no kingdom in this world. I'm through, through, through. There may be a kingdom for me somewhere, if I only knew."

READ MORE >>>

8. There Was No Resurrection.

Perhaps the most significant biblical departure in Superstar is the omission of the resurrection.

While this exclusion is also notable in productions like The Passion of the Christ, Superstar seems to use the omission to punctate the musical with a question mark about Jesus' identity.

The major chorus in Superstar repeats the line, "Who are you? What have you sacrificed? Jesus Christ Superstar, do you think you're what they say you are?"

It then leads into the final instrumental track, "John Nineteen Forty-One," a passage describing Christ's garden tomb. The curtain closes on a dead Messiah leaving the audience with catchy lyrics questioning who Jesus was and what he accomplished.

Of course, the Gospel accounts end quite differently, with Jesus' resurrection launching a continued story that leaves no question as to Jesus' identity as the Son of God and the reason for His sacrifice.

READ MORE >>>
Re: Is The Rock Opera Jesus Christ Superstar Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:01pm On Sep 12, 2020
OLAADEGBU:

8. There Was No Resurrection.

Perhaps the most significant biblical departure in Superstar is the omission of the resurrection.

While this exclusion is also notable in productions like The Passion of the Christ, Superstar seems to use the omission to punctate the musical with a question mark about Jesus' identity.

The major chorus in Superstar repeats the line, "Who are you? What have you sacrificed? Jesus Christ Superstar, do you think you're what they say you are?"

It then leads into the final instrumental track, "John Nineteen Forty-One," a passage describing Christ's garden tomb. The curtain closes on a dead Messiah leaving the audience with catchy lyrics questioning who Jesus was and what he accomplished.

Of course, the Gospel accounts end quite differently, with Jesus' resurrection launching a continued story that leaves no question as to Jesus' identity as the Son of God and the reason for His sacrifice.

READ MORE >>>

A Great Question.

With more than 9 million people having watched Jesus Christ Superstar this Easter and countless others having listened since the music originated almost five decades ago, the rock opera continues to be a cultural influence on people’s view of Jesus.

As you encounter those who may think differently than you about Jesus due in part to the musical, this list can be a launching pad for conversations about what Scripture actually says about Christ.

Christ has given His disciples the task of helping others answer the same question the rock opera poses in its signature track: “Jesus Christ, who are you?"

READ MORE >>>

(1) (Reply)

Church Members Scampers For Safety As Tornado Attack Church Gathering In Benin / Anambra Prophet: Many Visit Again Including Women And Men Bath N*ked SEE VIDEO / Hijab Is Used Before Islam. Its A Culture, It's Not From God. Let Peace Reign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.