Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,230 members, 7,818,777 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque (575 Views)

Turkey Rejects US Embassy’s Condolences Over Terror Attack In Istanbul / Turkey Reconverts Another Church Into Mosque Amid US, EU, UN Opposition / Turkey Converts Hagia Sophia To Mosque As Christains Kick (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by Originality007: 8:47am On Aug 22, 2020
Transformation of Kariye Museum comes a month after a controversial conversion of the renowned Hagia Sophia.

Transformation of Kariye Museum comes a month after a controversial conversion of the renowned Hagia Sophia.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has ordered another ancient Orthodox Church that became a mosque and then a popular Istanbul museum to be turned back into a Muslim place of worship.

The decision to transform the Kariye Museum into a mosque came just a month after a similarly controversial conversion for the UNESCO World Heritage-recognised Hagia Sophia. The decree on the issue was published in Turkey's official gazette on Friday.

The 1,000-year-old building's history closely mirrors that of the Hagia Sophia - its bigger neighbour on the historic western bank of the Golden Horn on the European side of Istanbul.

The Holy Saviour in Chora was a medieval Byzantine church decorated with 14th-century
frescoes of the Last Judgement that remain treasured in the Christian world.

It was originally converted into the Kariye Mosque half a century after the 1453 conquest of Constantinople by the Ottoman Turks.

It became the Kariye Museum after World War II as Turkey pushed ahead with the creation of a more secular new republic out of the ashes of the Ottoman Empire.

A group of American art historians then helped restore the original church's mosaics and opened them up for public display in 1958.

However, Erdogan has in the past few years placed a greater emphasis on the battles that resulted in the defeat of Byzantium by the Ottomans.

Turkey's top administrative court approved the museum's conversion into a mosque in November.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/08/turkey-converts-istanbul-church-mosque-200821080527837.html?

Cc. Lalasticlala dominique

Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by daddytime(m): 8:57am On Aug 22, 2020
Na wa

I like Turkey meat well well especially the wings.

1 Like

Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by Taguchi: 9:00am On Aug 22, 2020
Bookmarked
Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by abduljabbar4(m): 9:09am On Aug 22, 2020
Watch how people will start crying now even though it was a museum that was converted. But if it's India, Israel or China destroying mosques; they would start jubilating and hailing them for fighting "terrorists"grin

Kudos to Turkey

1 Like

Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by Nobody: 9:14am On Aug 22, 2020
Damn niggar,
Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by rationalhuman(m): 9:19am On Aug 22, 2020
When did India destroyed the mosque?

It was Mosque made on their Temple, I can prove States, Images and Official Reports than you Islamist will go in slumber.

I never comment unless i have Facts and Credible data.

All Region are fake fantasies but yours is full of Hatred and Irrationality as well. with no Tolerance and free ideas. Cherry on the top,

abduljabbar4:
Watch how people will start crying now even though it was a museum that was converted. But if it's India, Israel or China destroying mosques; they would start jubilating and hailing them for fighting "terrorists"grin

Kudos to Turkey

2 Likes

Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by abduljabbar4(m): 9:26am On Aug 22, 2020
rationalhuman:
When did India destroyed the mosque?

It was Mosque made on their Temple, I can prove States, Images and Official Reports than you Islamist will go in slumber.

I never comment unless i have Facts and Credible data.

All Region are fake fantasies but yours is full of Hatred and Irrationality as well. with no Tolerance and free ideas. Cherry on the top,

What about the mosques in China then, Mr Credible data owner? grin

If you want to talk about hatred and rationality, perhaps you should look at thereligion that you have soft spots for (Christianity). Should we start by talking about the massacres in the Old Testament, the crusades, the kpersecution of scientists; or the rationality of the idea of trinity, holy spirit, "miraculous" healings, dining with God, and so on?

You are only deceiving yourself. I know an atheist when I smell one

1 Like

Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by rationalhuman(m): 9:31am On Aug 22, 2020
I dont have information about there.

See if i dont have have information then i don`t come and post without confirmation. This is always my Standard on every public platform
Also Chinese Communist are doing this with Buddhists, Christians and Muslims, No Partiality with anyone.

abduljabbar4:

Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by abduljabbar4(m): 9:34am On Aug 22, 2020
rationalhuman:
I dont have information about there.

See if i dont have have information then i don`t come and post without confirmation. This is always my Standard on every public platform
Also Chinese Communist are doing this with Buddhists, Christians and Muslims, No Partiality with anyone.

You were wrong right from the start. I said that the Nairalanders that celebrated when mosques were destroyed in those countries would be the same that would cry on this thread. I never even talked about whether or not Modi did the right thing by demolishing it. See? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by IfGodbeforus(m): 9:40am On Aug 22, 2020
Egan is Mere creature..
Whatever he likes, let Him Do!
It will lead to a Worldwide Revival
Look at Iran! Despite all the Persecution, the Fastest Growing Church is springing from there.

JESUS is Going round the Globe pulling people out from Darkness into light ..

Expect a Great Revival in Turkey

Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by rationalhuman(m): 9:47am On Aug 22, 2020
Now since you have arrived on slightly different topic, I would say Everyone is free to do whatever but without violence.

1. I dont acre about your Mosques, Your Churches, your temples, Your shrines but I do care about Humans.
2. If never liked the way Iraqis killing Iranians or vice versa
3. Dont like Sunni killing shias or opposite (Although this war is happening since Rasshidun chalipahte)
4. Anyone from any Tribe, Any religion should not be happy when any type of injustice is being done to anyone.

But Religion is curse on this world, Used to a Christian then Converted to Islam and , more i read about the Companions, their struggle of power, Political rivalry, Betrayals, Killings, Killing of Ahlye Bayte, Tribal wars, Raping the women (i can put Hadith From Sahih Al Bukhari Volume 5). i came to sense It was nothing but a GAME OF THRONE in Arabia.

And No one is most Unfortunate , the gullible then us BLACK PEOPLE to fall of these things. Seeds have been planted and we all will fight till eternity.

abduljabbar4:

You were wrong right from the start. I said that the Nairalanders that celebrated when mosques were destroyed in those countries would be the same that would cry on this thread. I never even talked about whether or not Modi did the right thing by demolishing it. See? cheesy
Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by Daddysidhan: 9:48am On Aug 22, 2020
abduljabbar4:

If you want to talk about hatred and rationality, perhaps you should look at thereligion that you have soft spots for (Christianity). Should we start by talking about the massacres in the Old Testament, the crusades, the kpersecution of scientists; or the rationality of the idea of trinity, holy spirit, "miraculous" healings, dining with God, and so on?

You are only deceiving yourself. I know an atheist when I smell one

what about your jihadist prophet? The war and killings that happens under the guidance of prophet Muhammad was a film trick or what? You people are the most hypocritical idiot on planet earth, that is why an Arab or Islamic country will ever be a world power. The madness of killing people in the name of religion started under your self acclaimed prophet but you guys called it holy war and when the crusaders put a stop to the jihadist advancement and stand their ground from the ravaging murderous Islamist propagators Una dey Yan rubbish. Are you saying the crusaders should not not defend themselves abi they should wait to be killed and maimed like what your boko haram brothers are doing in the north to the defenceless Christians

1 Like

Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by yanabasee1(m): 9:50am On Aug 22, 2020
abduljabbar4:

Kudos to Turkey

It was originally converted into the Kariye Mosque half a century after the 1453 conquest of Constantinople by the Ottoman Turks.

It became the Kariye Museum after World War II as Turkey pushed ahead with the creation of a more secular new republic out of the ashes of the Ottoman Empire.

A group of American art historians then helped restore the original church's mosaics and opened them up for public display in 1958.

It was a church and was converted to a museum and later back to church....

Chinese destroyed both mosques and churches and .ore churches than mosques...

You should know that, Christianity will never kill anyone for destroying it's sanctuaries or term it blasphemy or take anyone to a Sharia court to be killed over anything.

We allow God to punish China and locking them up with all forms of viruses....

2 Likes

Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by abduljabbar4(m): 9:56am On Aug 22, 2020
yanabasee1:

It was a church and was converted to a museum and later back to church....

Chinese destroyed both mosques and churches and .ore churches than mosques...

You should know that, Christianity will never kill anyone for destroying it's sanctuaries or term it blasphemy or take anyone to a Sharia court to be killed over anything.

We allow God to punish China and locking them up with all forms of viruses....

I don't know why you find comprehension so hard. I'm not talking about whether or not China, Israel or India did right or wrong. I'm talking about the hypocrisy of Nairalanders. China started by clamping down on muslims first and they also banned their employees from fasting and tried to modify the Quran. You can check the threads and see what your peaceful brothers posted.

By the way, which religion massacred Canaanites and commanded its followers to kill false prophets, disbelievers and even tape women? You need to read the old Testament
Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by abduljabbar4(m): 10:02am On Aug 22, 2020
Daddysidhan:
what about your jihadist prophet? The war and killings that happens under the guidance of prophet Muhammad was a film trick or what? You people are the most hypocritical idiot on planet earth, that is why an Arab or Islamic country will ever be a world power. The madness of killing people in the name of religion started under your self acclaimed prophet but you guys called it holy war and when the crusaders put a stop to the jihadist advancement and stand their ground from the ravaging murderous Islamist propagators Una dey Yan rubbish. Are you saying the crusaders should not not defend themselves abi they should wait to be killed and maimed like what your boko haram brothers are doing in the north to the defenceless Christians

It's like you people are just Christians on paper. The last time I checked, prophet Muhammad did not come before David. Do you know how many people he forcefully converted, killed and raped (according to the OT, not me. Go and read it). No, Islam did not create religious violence.

By the way, how did christianity reach Europe? Again, I will let you research on that

Boko haram has killed far more muslims than Christians. They have attacked far more mosques and Muslim villages than churches and christian communities. Bandits have killed far more in Zamfara, Kebbi, Sokoto and Katsina than they have killed in southern Kaduna but I don't expect a shallow-minded, intellectually corrupt bigot to know that

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by Whyem15: 10:28am On Aug 22, 2020
This is very wrong. It is even against teachings of Islam. The prophet protected the religious freedoms of Christians and jews. That is why we still have churches dating back thousands of years existing in the Middle East. They were not destroyed or converted when Muslims conquered those lands. Erdogan is trying to assert himself as the caliph of the Islamic empire. Being Muslim should make you stand against injustice like this no matter the religion doing it.
Apart from the three Haraams, no other mosque has any spiritual significance beyond the significance of where you pray in your bedroom. If he wants more mosques, he should build new ones not convert churches to mosques.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by dermmy(m): 10:36am On Aug 22, 2020
Daddysidhan:

@the bolded. You are a liar, the crusade was born when Pope Urban 2 made his address at council of Clermont in the year 1095, he brain washed his subject that the muslims had captured the church of the holy sepulchre where they believed Jesus was buried after crucifixion. He promised those serfs who attended that their status would change and they would become owners of land if they were able to take back the holy land. These poor and ill equiped serfs couldn't cross the Asia minor when they were ambushed and slaughtered by the Seljuqs.

The Pope had to send european nobles this time and these guys proved that the crusade was about conquest and greed. On their way to Jerusalem they started establishing crusader states along the levantine coast, Baldwin of Bolougne stop at Eddessa and plotted a coup there he later became the king of Eddessa, the rest moved on to Antioch and conquered it.

That was the pattern until they reached Jerusalem in 1099 when they reached Jerusalem they slaughtered both christians, jews and muslims and planted Baldwin of Bolougne as Baldwin 1st of Jerusalem they enjoyed their lives and ruled as kings but the mission was to secure the place where Jesus was buried? They didn't even secure anything they established their own empire. Bro historians know the crusade was about conquest, colonialism and exploitation that europe used christianity to achieve.

They were on a mission to restore christianity in Jerusalem yet crusaders like Raymond III became the count of Tripoli, Raymond de-Gilles count of Toulouse, Godfrey of bouillon. Baldwin became the count of Edessa and later king of Jerusalem. Yet they were on a mission to capture the church of the holy sepulchre, thieves.

The 4th crusade that Pope innocent III launched exposed them the more when they ransacked constantinople the capital city of the christian Byzantine empire, they killed and stole from the christian Byzantines. Crusaders on a mission to capture the holy Jerusalem and restore dignity to christianity killing and stealing from fellow christians and you call that a fight to restore dignity to christians and christianity?

You don't know nothing about the crusade so stop spewing trash here. Christianity and Islam have ugly history ok so don't try to justify your religion.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by Originality007: 11:08am On Aug 22, 2020
abduljabbar4:

Kudos to Turkey

But if Israel should convert Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem to thier Temple people like u will b the first person to cry foul play

2 Likes

Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by kemicalreact: 11:29am On Aug 22, 2020
Whyem15:
This is very wrong. It is even against teachings of Islam. The prophet protected the religious freedoms of Christians and jews. That is why we still have churches dating back thousands of years existing in the Middle East. They were not destroyed or converted when Muslims conquered those lands. Erdogan is trying to assert himself as the caliph of the Islamic empire. Being Muslim should make you stand against injustice like this no matter the religion doing it.
Apart from the three Haraams, no other mosque has any spiritual significance beyond the significance of where you pray in your bedroom. If he wants more mosques, he should build new ones not convert churches to mosques.
Very apt.

1 Like

Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by kemicalreact: 11:30am On Aug 22, 2020
Originality007:

But if Israel should convert Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem to thier Temple people like u will b the first person to cry fowl play
Turkey's action is wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by Daddysidhan: 9:19am On Aug 24, 2020
dermmy:

@the bolded. You are a liar, the crusade was born when Pope Urban 2 made his address at council of Clermont in the year 1095, he brain washed his subject that the muslims had captured the church of the holy sepulchre where they believed Jesus was buried after crucifixion. He promised those serfs who attended that their status would change and they would become owners of land if they were able to take back the holy land. These poor and ill equiped serfs couldn't cross the Asia minor when they were ambushed and slaughtered by the Seljuqs.

The Pope had to send european nobles this time and these guys proved that the crusade was about conquest and greed. On their way to Jerusalem they started establishing crusader states along the levantine coast, Baldwin of Bolougne stop at Eddessa and plotted a coup there he later became the king of Eddessa, the rest moved on to Antioch and conquered it.

That was the pattern until they reached Jerusalem in 1099 when they reached Jerusalem they slaughtered both christians, jews and muslims and planted Baldwin of Bolougne as Baldwin 1st of Jerusalem they enjoyed their lives and ruled as kings but the mission was to secure the place where Jesus was buried? They didn't even secure anything they established their own empire. Bro historians know the crusade was about conquest, colonialism and exploitation that europe used christianity to achieve.

They were on a mission to restore christianity in Jerusalem yet crusaders like Raymond III became the count of Tripoli, Raymond de-Gilles count of Toulouse, Godfrey of bouillon. Baldwin became the count of Edessa and later king of Jerusalem. Yet they were on a mission to capture the church of the holy sepulchre, thieves.

The 4th crusade that Pope innocent III launched exposed them the more when they ransacked constantinople the capital city of the christian Byzantine empire, they killed and stole from the christian Byzantines. Crusaders on a mission to capture the holy Jerusalem and restore dignity to christianity killing and stealing from fellow christians and you call that a fight to restore dignity to christians and christianity?

You don't know nothing about the crusade so stop spewing trash here. Christianity and Islam have ugly history ok so don't try to justify your religion.
Bwahaha lols dermmy the terrorist has come out of his shell to defend his terrorist brothers once more, tell me where you get this history from, hope not from the same western media that you always attack. You are debating with hammed not Stephen or Moses so I know the truth not your taqiyya
Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by dermmy(m): 10:22am On Aug 24, 2020
Daddysidhan:
Bwahaha lols dermmy the terrorist has come out of his shell to defend his terrorist brothers once more, tell me where you get this history from, hope not from the same western media that you always attack. You are debating with hammed not Stephen or Moses so I know the truth not your taqiyya

Tell us what you know about the crusades olodo. You think you can come here and give us nonsense. Tell them to read they won't na to dey ass lick western countries una know.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by tolexy007(m): 3:25pm On Aug 24, 2020
dermmy:

Tell us what you know about the crusades olodo. You think you can come here and give us nonsense. Tell them to read they won't na to dey ass lick western countries una know.

mr man why do u keep mentioning my monikers everywhere on Nairaland, each time u are arguing with one origininality007?
Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by Daddysidhan: 4:35pm On Aug 24, 2020
The Crusades were a series of religious wars initiated, supported, and sometimes directed by the Latin Church in the medieval period. The term refers especially to the Eastern Mediterranean campaigns in the period between 1096 and 1271 that had the objective of recovering the Holy Land from Islamic rule. The term has also been applied to other church-sanctioned campaigns fought to combat paganism and heresy, to resolve conflict among rival Roman Catholic groups, or to gain political and territorial advantage. The difference between these campaigns and other Christian religious conflicts was that they were considered a penitential exercise that brought forgiveness of sins declared by the church. Historians contest the definition of the term "crusade". Some restrict it to only armed pilgrimages to Jerusalem; others include all Catholic military campaigns with a promise of spiritual benefit; all Catholic holy wars; or those with a characteristic of religious fervour.

In 1095, Pope Urban II proclaimed the First Crusade at the Council of Clermont. He encouraged military support for Byzantine Emperor Alexios I against the Seljuk Turks and an armed pilgrimage to Jerusalem. Across all social strata in western Europe there was an enthusiastic popular response. Volunteers took a public vow to join the crusade. Historians now debate the combination of their motivations, which included the prospect of mass ascension into Heaven at Jerusalem, satisfying feudal obligations, opportunities for renown, and economic and political advantage. Initial successes established four Crusader states in the Near East: the County of Edessa; the Principality of Antioch; the Kingdom of Jerusalem; and the County of Tripoli. The crusader presence remained in the region in some form until the city of Acre fell in 1291, leading to the rapid loss of all remaining territory in the Levant. After this, there were no further crusades to recover the Holy Land.

Proclaimed a crusade in 1123, the struggle between the Christians and Muslims in the Iberian Peninsula was called the Reconquista by Christians, and only ended in 1492 with the fall of the Muslim Emirate of Granada. From 1147 campaigns in Northern Europe against pagan tribes were considered crusades. In 1199 Pope Innocent III began the practice of proclaiming political crusades against Christian heretics. In the 13th century, crusading was used against the Cathars in Languedoc and against Bosnia; this practice continued against the Waldensians in Savoy and the Hussites in Bohemia in the 15th century and against Protestants in the 16th. From the mid-14th century, crusading rhetoric was used in response to the rise of the Ottoman Empire, only ending in 1699 with the War of the Holy League
Re: Turkey Converts Another Former Istanbul Church Into A Mosque by Daddysidhan: 4:44pm On Aug 24, 2020
dermmy:

Idiotic dermmy what's so special about your copy and paste from an Arabic sites Lols. You like using narratives that suits your madness, imagine you trying so hard to change what a blind man knows about the crusaders. Your self acclaimed prophet was the first to start killing for God nothing more.all the battles upon battles that were fought by your Robbin hood styled prophet is what brings about the crusades nothing more Mr copy and paste

(1) (Reply)

Bronze Statute Of Melanin Trump Unveiled, Replacing Burnt Wooden Statute (Pics) / Can Trump Do Any Margic With This Figure / Meet Boy Who Feeds On Grass, Can’t Speak And Stays In The Forest (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.