Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,327 members, 7,815,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation (23242 Views)

President-elect, Bola Tinubu Accepts Wike's Invitation To Commission Projects / Sanwo-olu Lands In Port Harcourt On Wike's Invitation (Video) / Osinbajo, Obasanjo & Wike At Bala Mohammed Daughter's Wedding (Photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by etokhana: 1:04pm On Aug 22, 2020
A group of lawyers has asked the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) to withdraw the invitation of former President Olusegun Obasanjo and Nyesom Wike, governor of Rivers state, as speakers for its annual conference.

This comes a few days after the NBA withdrew its invitation to Nasir el-Rufai, governor of Kaduna, as a speaker at the conference following an outcry by some lawyers who said the governor stands against what the profession represents.

The lawyers, under the umbrella of the Radical Agenda Movement in the Nigerian Bar Association (RAMINBA), said both Obasanjo and Wike have acted against the rule of law.

In a statement on Saturday, Adesina Ogunlana, RAMINBA chairman, and Ayo Ademiluyi, the secretary, accused Obasanjo of masterminding the Odi massacre of 1999 and attempted to tamper with the constitution for a third-term agenda.

“We are however baffled that the list of speakers at the conference still retains the names of Balogun Olusegun Obasanjo, retired general and former president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as well as that of Mr Nyesom Wike, the governor of Rivers State,” the group said.

“We are persuaded that these men by their antecedents vis-a-vis the respect for and promotion for the rule of law and due process are not fit for an invitation as speakers in a function such as the conference of Nigerian Bar Association, which mantra remains promoting the rule of law.

“Balogun Obasanjo is known in Nigeria’s most recent history to have launched some of the most brutal assaults on the concept of rule of law. Kindly recall that it was Obasanjo, sworn to uphold the constitution of the land, who refused to obey the supreme court order for the release of the N21 billion Lagos state local government funds illegally and oppressively withheld by his administration.

“Despite the popular outcry that the supreme court is obeyed, President Obasanjo arrogantly declined obedience. He remained adamant all through his administration and it was President Yaradua who later complied with the judgement.”

The lawyers also accused Wike of destroying properties during the COVID-19 lockdown in his state despite a court order against his action.

“He is the same governor who ordered the demolition without a court order of two hotels in Rivers state recently. The Rivers states task force under the control of Governor Wike is an agency notorious for violation of human rights of citizens in carrying out their tasks,” the lawyers stated.

https://www.thecable.ng/fresh-twist-as-group-asks-nba-to-withdraw-obasanjo-wikes-invitation-as-conference-speakers

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by SLAP44: 1:05pm On Aug 22, 2020
Obasanjo and Wike were not accused of being front like Boko haram commanders.

160 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by Golan007: 1:21pm On Aug 22, 2020
Very good.

Is it not Wike that has been sponsoring massive killings in Rivers state?

Demolishing private property despite court orders against such.

Obasanjo ordered the mowing down of Odi.

69 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by Supan(m): 1:31pm On Aug 22, 2020
The same hand of El rufai propelling them.

El rufai was never a politician, he is a bloody jihadist. His resting place will be ICC Hague after 2023

176 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by Nobody: 1:33pm On Aug 22, 2020
SLAP44:
Obasanjo and Wike were not accused of being front like Boko haram commanders.

But Obj was responsible for the Odi and Zaki Biam issue, while Wike has presided over a state that has its own share of insecruty.

And yes, El rufai too is just worse compared to Wike.

All of them have no buisness attending the NBA confrence to speak there, if what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

76 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by Nobody: 1:34pm On Aug 22, 2020
Golan007:
Very good.

Is it not Wike that has been sponsoring massive killings in Rivers state?

Demolishing private property despite court orders against such.

Obasanjo ordered the mowing down of Odi.

And meanwhile El Rufai has not been able to manage the security of his state.

They are all polticians...typical Nigerian polticans.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by Tomide007: 1:38pm On Aug 22, 2020
Wait obasanjo is there? That's insane.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by Supan(m): 1:39pm On Aug 22, 2020
etokhana:
The lawyers, under the umbrella of the Radical Agenda Movement in the Nigerian Bar Association (RAMINBA), said both Obasanjo and Wike have acted against the rule of law.

In a statement on Saturday, Adesina Ogunlana, RAMINBA chairman, and Ayo Ademiluyi, the secretary, accused Obasanjo of masterminding the Odi massacre of 1999 and attempted to tamper with the constitution for a third-term agenda.

I wonder how much El rufai paid them.

I am happy that at least, they have accepted El rufai is a terrorist and not worthy of such an event.

They are after all, looking for who to go down with El rufai.

83 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by Supan(m): 1:41pm On Aug 22, 2020
kikero:

But Obj was responsible for the Odi and Zaki Biam issue, while Wike has presided over a state that has its own share of insecruty.

And yes, El rufai too is just worse compared to Wike.

All of them have no buisness attending the NBA confrence to speak there, if what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Since they have accepted El rufai as a terrorist governor and not worthy of such an event.

They are after all looking for who to go down with El rufai.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by Kissiemu(m): 1:44pm On Aug 22, 2020
NBA has allowed politicians to see them finish... shior!

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by Nobody: 1:49pm On Aug 22, 2020
Supan:

Since they have accepted El rufai as a terrorist governor and not worthy of such an event.

The same way Rivfers people voted Wike after all the security issue, and most Nigerians (your state inclusive) voted Obasanjo after the Odi and Zaki Biam issue.

The problem I have with you and the pro-el rufai gang on this site is that the dead people in Southern Kaduna and elsewhere don't really matter to you, nor does the security of Nigeria. All that matters is getting your man into Aso Rock so that you can benefit from chopping.

I am just pointing out the falacy of your argument. If you want to bar El Rufai rightly in my opinion for his bad deed, then you have to bar Obasanjo not only for his own bad deed, but even Wike. (And Rivers state still has a security issue up till now). You cannot be barring Northerners and turing a blind eye to Southern atricites. You will end up like Bauchi and Yobe NBA and the grills guy here on this site...who turn a blind eye to Northern bad deeds.

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by Marine54(m): 1:58pm On Aug 22, 2020
Supan:

I wonder how much El rufai paid them.

I am happy that at least they have accept Ei rufai is a terrorist and not worthy of such an event.

TRUTH !

5 Likes

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by popez: 2:02pm On Aug 22, 2020
Wike is a member of NBA already !!!

21 Likes

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by RichBoy247: 2:38pm On Aug 22, 2020
This useless NBA has gone to bring ants infested firewood home. Let's see how they sort out the ants.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 22, 2020
Omo see painment
Hell Rufai
This thing really pain am
He rushed to buy a wing of NBA
No wonder this same NBA election was said to be violent and ridiculously rigged
They are no different to politicians
Even some of them are

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by Racoon(m): 2:45pm On Aug 22, 2020
Terrorists have infiltrated the NBA that they're now dictating what goes on or who does what.Well, I only blame the association for allowing evil politicians to shamelessly use its platform to advance their dirty deals.

7 Likes

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by zeelo2014: 2:55pm On Aug 22, 2020
Various items for sale

Huggies diapers size 1-6 = N14k- N18k
Canola oil 17.3L = N16k
Canola oil 4L = N5k
Washing machine detergent( sunlight, gain, tide ) = N7-9k
Pampers size 1 (120) = N 13k
Quaker oats 5.16kg = N10.5k

Bulk purchase encouraged with discounts.
Whatsapp 08038255548

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by Agbegbaorogboye: 3:03pm On Aug 22, 2020
kikero:

The same way Rivfers people voted Wike after all the security issue, and most Nigerians (your state inclusive) voted Obasanjo after the Odi and Zaki Biam issue.

The problem I have with you and the pro-el rufai gang on this site is that the dead people in Southern Kaduna and elsewhere don't really matter to you, nor does the security of Nigeria. All that matters is getting your man into Aso Rock so that you can benefit from chopping.

I am just pointing out the falacy of your argument. If you want to bar El Rufai rightly in my opinion for his bad deed, then you have to bar Obasanjo not only for his own bad deed, but even Wike. (And Rivers state still has a security issue up till now). You cannot be barring Northerners and turing a blind eye to Southern atricites. You will end up like Bauchi and Yobe NBA and the grills guy here on this site...who turn a blind eye to Northern bad deeds.

Your subtle defence of El-Rufai deceives no one but yourself. El-Rufai is a threat to the peace of Kaduna and indeed the north. It's this disingenuous tactics of saying don't touch my looter until you touch yours the has led corruption to fester in Nigeria.
If we begin to allow politicians to play us by applying such logic to security and rule of law cum justice, then we the populace have become ultimate fools and Nigeria is surely headed for its doom.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by Nyamuriflathead: 3:07pm On Aug 22, 2020
It is appalling that those who cheered on the NBA at its resolve to renege on its invitation of Mr Elrufai at the NBA conference over mere assumptions are the same bloody sucking demons questioning RAMINBA'S factual permutations about Obj and wike. If you're out there denigrating and criticising this body's recommendation at extension of disengagement to undemocratic Tyrants like obj and wike, you're a mentally deranged psychopath.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by Nobody: 3:07pm On Aug 22, 2020
Agbegbaorogboye:

Your subtle defence of El-Rufai deceives no one but yourself. El-Rufai is a threat to the peace of Kaduna and indeed the north. It's this disingenuous tactics of saying don't touch my looter until you touch yours the has led corruption to forster in Nigeria.
If we begin to allow politicians to play us by apply ing such logic to security and rule of law cum justice, then we the populace have become ultimate fools and Nigeria is surely headed for its doom.

I am not defending el rufai

I am merely pointing out that if we want to ban him for being bad, as I think we should, then why not obj too, wike too?

The problem I have with this is that we are banning Northerners because of hate and excusing southerners because they are Southerners and thus must be innocent even if they do the same bad thing.

For the record,.I think el rufai has no business speaking at the NBA conference and I support the ban . What I don't like is selectiveness.

Again, I support el rufai ban . I also don't agree with the trend of anti northern and antisouthern bigotry exhibited by most on this site.

Good afternoon

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by Nyamuriflathead: 3:20pm On Aug 22, 2020
Supan:

It is fact that OBJ being at the helm of affairs authorized the Odi Killings. The killings in kaduna is not goverment authorized. it is an ethno religious bellingerency and you cant for any reason whatsoever advance and burnish your dumb, selective and brainless hallucinations with mere assumptions and elrufai as your primary target . Wike Is Undemocratic, a cultist and a terrorist too, if you think otherwise then you deserve to die

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by Agbegbaorogboye: 3:23pm On Aug 22, 2020
kikero:

I am not defending el rufai

I am merely pointing out that if we want to ban him for being bad, as I think we should, then why not obj too, wike too?

The problem I have with this is that we are banning Northerners because of hate and excusing southerners because they are Southerners and thus must be innocent even if they do the same bad thing.

For the record,.I think el rufai has no business speaking at the NBA conference and I support the ban . What I don't like is selectiveness.

Again, I support el rufai ban . I also don't agree with the trend of anti northern and antisouthern bigotry exhibited by most on this site.

Good afternoon
No sir. What you're exhibiting is naivety towards the devices of the "devil". Let me break it down simply for you
1. Why didn't El-Rufai's hatchet men ask for the head of OBJ and Wike when the agitation for his removal began but had to wait till he was removed? Simple answer. He thought himself untouchable and felt nothing would come of the agitation as no one would dare to embarrass a "whole" sitting governor like that.
2. The hatchet men have carefully chosen their targets. Wike is a southern Christian of the PDP while OBJ is also one of same religion and a major opposition to the present Fed. This has given the whole removal fiasco a tribal, religious cum political colouration, a tactics well employed by our divisive politicians. Pray ask. Why not ask for the removal of Malami the sitting AGF under whose watch human rights abuses have been perpetrated repeatedly? Simple answer. He doesn't fit the agenda of the bigot-in-chief.
3. El-Rufai's agenda is not necessarily the removal of the persons he named but a ploy to erode the credibility of the NBA and further divide the country along our sharp fault lines wherein he can then deflect attention from his atrocities which the removal was supposed to highlight. It's a simple diversionary tactic. What NBA did had nothing to do with such considerations. Mind you, Malami is a northerner as well as the CJN and they were not banned.

23 Likes

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by Nyamuriflathead: 3:28pm On Aug 22, 2020
Agbegbaorogboye:

Your subtle defence of El-Rufai deceives no one but yourself. El-Rufai is a threat to the peace of Kaduna and indeed the north. It's this disingenuous tactics of saying don't touch my looter until you touch yours the has led corruption to fester in Nigeria.
If we begin to allow politicians to play us by applying such logic to security and rule of law cum justice, then we the populace have become ultimate fools and Nigeria is surely headed for its doom.

You ipob and PDP supporters are truly brainless. You see the chunk of scribbled balderdash written up there? shove it up your a$$.

Wike And Obj Must be disengaged whether you like it or not

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by Agbegbaorogboye: 3:33pm On Aug 22, 2020
Nyamuriflathead:

You ipob and PDP supporters are truly brainless. You see the chunk of scribbled balderdash written up there? shove it up your a$$.

Wike And Obj Must be disengaged whether you like it or not
Neither Wike, OBJ nor El-Rufai give a flying fúck whether you're robbed of your next breath by Boko Haram or bandits so I suggest you calm down and quit the name-calling.
Your opinion is worth a simple fart to the NBA as well so easy with the brashness.
Whether the NBA oblige this hatchet job is not my concern. Rather it's the attempt at divisiveness by the ever impish El-Rufai that is most nauseating.
He keeps going low.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by Nobody: 3:36pm On Aug 22, 2020
Agbegbaorogboye:

No sir. What you're exhibiting is naivety towards the devices of the "devil". Let me break it down simply for you
1. Why didn't El-Rufai's hatchet men ask for the head of OBJ and Wike when the agitation for his removal began but had to wait till he was removed? Simple answer. He thought himself untouchable and felt nothing would come of the agitation as no one would dare to embarrass a "whole" sitting governor like that.
2. The hatchet men have carefully chosen their targets. Wike is a southern Christian of the PDP while OBJ is also one of same religion and a major opposition to the present Fed. This has given the whole removal fiasco a tribal, religious cum political colouration, a tactics well employed by our divisive politicians. Pray ask. Why not ask for the removal of Malami the sitting AGF under whose watch human rights abuses have been perpetrated repeatedly? Simple answer. He doesn't fit the agenda of the bigot-in-chief.
3. El-Rufai's agenda is not necessarily the removal of the persons he named but a ploy to erode the credibility of the NBA and further divide the country along our sharp fault lines wherein he can then deflect attention from his atrocities which the removal was supposed to highlight. It's a simple diversionary tactic. What NBA did had nothing to do with such considerations. Mind you, Malami is a northerner as well as the CJN and they were not banned.

So in other words let's excuse Christians for their crimes.

Thanks

As for me....whatever the religion, if they do the crime, let them do the time.

Ban them whatever their religion if they do bad

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by IamWonderful: 3:37pm On Aug 22, 2020
Paid agents

1 Like

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by kurupt1: 3:43pm On Aug 22, 2020
Agbegbaorogboye:

wisdom!!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Group Asks NBA To Withdraw Obasanjo, Wike’s Invitation by Agbegbaorogboye: 3:46pm On Aug 22, 2020
kikero:

So in other words let's excuse Christians for their crimes.

Thanks

As for me....whatever the religion, if they do the crime, let them do the time.

Ban them whatever their religion if they do bad
The questions I keep asking you are,
1. Why highlight his religion or tribe in an effort to ask for equal treatment. Was his religion highlighted as the cause of his removal?
2. Why pick only Wike and OBJ when you desire equal treatment before the law. Why not add Malami the chief law officer of the present admin which has repeatedly abused human rights? At least that will send a stronger than usual message to the present govt?
Can you in honesty answer these questions or are you also a bigot like the man you're defending?

18 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pantami Wins Award: Most Outstanding Minister (People & Power Magazine) / Troops Kill ISWAP/Bokoharam Terrorists, Recover Large Cache Of Weapons / Okada Ban: Lagos Government Meets Arewa Community, Issues Statement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.