Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,910 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa (48637 Views)

10 Phones With 5000mah Battery Capacity In Nigeria / Phones With Impressive Specs In 2018 / 6 Latest Nokia Android Phones With Prices And Specification (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Yankee101: 10:28pm On Aug 25, 2020
I pity anyone using Chinese technology. It's cheap but someone has a copy of all your messages and pictures in China.

Even other developed countries do it, but you have laws protecting you in those other countries. China dosen't

12 Likes

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Idrismusty97(m): 10:29pm On Aug 25, 2020
nedekid:
Noticed on my two daughter's tecno w2 phones bought months apart pop up ad called aiboo.com will come up and open other unsolicited pages. Before you know the phones will hang because it would open over 20 pages.
I installed anti virus, no way. I formatted the phones clean, once the phone sniffed internet aiboo was up again!
I finally had to get rid of them and got Huawei Y7 prime. Very correct phone.
From this news, it is abvious aiboo.Com or what ever was causing this must have been pre installed in the hardware.
You got rid of them only to get another Chinese phone that have even be banned in the US grin. Even iPhone is produced in China. The problem is our quality regulation policies/agencies. They may as well send only the defective and malware infected iPhone to Africa.

3 Likes

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by udemzyudex(m): 10:31pm On Aug 25, 2020
Drabeey:
By now we should know that China is heading for the next world power, just a matter of time they will have that power. For a long time the western countries have dominated the world.

Africa is the dinner table, its China time to feed, feed well on Africa China.

Stop all this world power nonsense talk jare.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Depressed101: 10:38pm On Aug 25, 2020
GeneralPula:
Even tho, I don’t use them china phones.. I always knew face unlock is definitely one coded tools for these folks.. I’ve never used it even on iPhone..

The best way to lock and unlock your phone is either via password or pin. Even finger prints, I don’t trust em.

This is another reason why people should desist from taking their naked pictures..

China nah one evil country. But I love the fact that they’re displaying the disadvantages of technology to the whole world..

Phones are not just called mobile phones anymore but smart phone.. It means you gotta be smart with whatever you wanna do with your phone!!

Wish Black berry and Nokia fit comes back to market.
i swear
Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Nobody: 10:39pm On Aug 25, 2020
Me no even get data wey dey fit steal

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Bobbyfreshh(m): 10:40pm On Aug 25, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
You see why i will always recommend Samsung, iPhone and Nokia anyday anytime twice on Tuesday

Thought you said you prefer China over dumb overrated USA anytime any day anytime twice one a Tuesday night

9 Likes

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by finofaya: 10:41pm On Aug 25, 2020
I foolishly went to use one Tecno W2 years back. The first sign that something was wrong with the phone was the unending subscriptions to meaningless services on MTN. I kept calling their customer care to complain about my airtime being deducted for the sub that I didn't know about and they kept insisting that I'm the one who did all the subs, that maybe I mistakenly clicked yes on a pop up. Lol.

Next the phone started running hot even when I wasn't using it and the battery didn't last as long. Then I noticed enigmatic notifications on the notification bar, like your regular app notification icon but these ones were just pure white squares. They didn't expand when I pulled down the notification bar. I became curious and went to settings > apps where I noticed strange apps.

There was a "facebook" app with a semblance of Facebook's logo, a "Google chrome" app with a semblance of Chrome's logo sitting next to the actual Chrome, and others like that. Either apps pretending to be popular apps or apps that I didn't download. None of them could be opened. I uninstalled them but every single one of them just reinstalled after a while. It's like me and somebody else somewhere were both using the phone.

That's when I suspected malware so I installed an anti malware app and scanned the phone with it. It now found the triada trojan. I googled the name and learnt it's common with Tecno phones especially the W2, that it's installed in the firmware from the factory so the anti malware app can't simply remove it and that flashing the phone won't solve the problem unless I have a different version of the firmware to reinstall after flashing.

Na so I jejely pack the phone back inside the box come go buy another phone o. Somebody persuaded me to dash them the phone and I did but I warned them first, incase person use keystroke logger pack all their pin and password or something. Now I run from all those "China" phones I don't have power again biko.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Nobody: 10:42pm On Aug 25, 2020
Since we can't produce phone locally we're prone to privacy attack. America is the world number 1 violator of all aforementioned threats. Some few years bck US spied all emails in the world, listen to the phone call of all world leaders except Angel Markel's official calls. What else!
Africa is already prone to superpower countries cyber attack. This is a business blame game initiated by US which can't be won.

12 Likes

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by InvertedHammer: 10:43pm On Aug 25, 2020
/
Africans are beggars who pretend to have choices.

grin
/

7 Likes

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by One4me: 10:45pm On Aug 25, 2020
Opiosko:
It's an open secret that Chinese companies can not be trusted on quality and security issues. But there's a limit you would expect them to go. It does however, seems like they are ready to descend to the lowest hell if that would make profit for them.

At a time when America is mobilising the West not to use China-linked companies in 5G network, and banning Chinese tech like Tiktok, one would expect them to be more accountable. Apparently, they are turning to Africa to continue with their nefarious activities.

Only God knows how many companies are engaged in many of the evils China is exporting.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53903436.

Abeg, stop crying Wolf where there is non!
I am not in support of this sort of nefarious activity but first, histiry shows that it is not just Chinese phones, American and European Phones have had Malware in them in the past as well. Even Intel's Processor at a time, was infected with malware, at source.
What usually happens is that the Manufacturer will quickly release an Update to deal with the situation.

But l guess because it is China, you need to shout on the Roof Top, afteral, tha is what the Westerners want you and told you to do.

As bad as the Chinese are, if not for the greed and criminality of our Leaders, they are the only ones ready to borrow you money to develop your country, Americans wont even give you War Planes to fight terrorism, until after FIVE YEARS when the terrorists would have killed you enough and gained enough ground to make your purchases obsolete. undecided grin

Most Africans need to be careful over aligning with the West, in their fight against China, just stay neutral or play them against each other otherwise, we will feel sorry at the end of the day.

China is corrupt (and they find the corruption of our Politicians very welcoming) but they are ready to help us.
The West (America/Europe) are also corrupt but they are not ready to help us develop, they'd rathe rprefer we remain slaves and source of cheap labour to them, through managed migration.
Reflect over this carefully.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Ellie01: 10:47pm On Aug 25, 2020
Opiosko:
It's an open secret that Chinese companies can not be trusted on quality and security issues. But there's a limit you would expect them to go. It does however, seems like they are ready to descend to the lowest hell if that would make profit for them.

At a time when America is mobilising the West not to use China-linked companies in 5G network, and banning Chinese tech like Tiktok, one would expect them to be more accountable. Apparently, they are turning to Africa to continue with their nefarious activities.

Only God knows how many companies are engaged in many of the evils China is exporting.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53903436.

All Chinese phones r bugged. Even my zte has apps I can't uninstall n I did not install them in d beginning
Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Easy5265: 10:48pm On Aug 25, 2020
garugaru:
Xiaomi is very much guilty of this shît, they took close to 5h from me, every time I change my sim something would just pop up and next thing I know 50 naira gone (a service to verify mi message I think) i had to disable some system app from getting sms permission

I had same issues too, although what is mentioned in the report is different from what happened to you. Yours is a settings tweak, not a malware. The settings is even for your security, should your phone get stolen and the SIM card switched.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by omoadeleye(m): 10:49pm On Aug 25, 2020
seanwilliam:
some times u should not be talking in public.... which kind defence point is that? if youre into politics then your constituency don enter one chance.... to be honest, if u dont have anything to say next time please shut up.. no dey embarass yourself ro

you are the one that needs to stop embarrassing yourself with your frivolous whining and lamentations.

you were complaining about your airtime being deducted for activation after inserting new sim to your phone, then i advised you then to stop changing SIM if you can't cope with the deduction, cause mi phone are built to be secured so for every new SIM you inserted into your phone, it will always requires activation. so if you cannot accept the advice of changing your SIM then you can take this new advise to sell your phone then get a tecno where you can continue changing to new SIMs as you like.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Twelfthman: 10:49pm On Aug 25, 2020
Bastarrd dwarfs... These Chinese are pure evil

1 Like

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Obdk: 10:51pm On Aug 25, 2020
I use vpn
I just allow only d apps i use to access network
Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Flairoqy(m): 10:53pm On Aug 25, 2020
Ever imagined, if Africa will ever gain world power? Blacks? Close to impossible.
Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by bejeria101(m): 10:54pm On Aug 25, 2020
Who buys Chinese phones?
Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by nedekid: 10:57pm On Aug 25, 2020
Idrismusty97:
You got rid of them only to get another Chinese phone that have even be banned in the US grin. Even iPhone is produced in China. The problem is our quality regulation policies/agencies. They may as well send only the defective and malware infected iPhone to Africa.
Bro, the only reason the US banned Huawei is because of competition. All phones can be spied on. Huawei, xaiomi etc are first rate phones with value for money. If the US had not banned the sale in the US, Apple, Samsung would have lost market share in the US.
My Huawei phone is the best value for money I have gotten from a phone. I used a Samsung just before my huawei y9 2019.
Teckno, infinix etc seem to be on another level. Cannot vouch for them. Besides from the writeup, the makers suggest a supplier in their parts chain likely is responsible.

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Nobody: 10:57pm On Aug 25, 2020
King44:
Finally a topic has been opened on this fairly used phone I have been using and it is from China. It has a malware and I can't remove it cos the instruction I could follow to have it removed is written in Mandarin
mr shorty,so you like Chinese product,no wonder you are short
Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by garugaru: 11:03pm On Aug 25, 2020
Easy5265:

I had same issues too, although what is mentioned in the report is different from what happened to you. Yours is a settings tweak, not a malware. The settings is even for your security, should your phone get stolen and the SIM card switched.
nope the service is different, this one is for mi message (like xiaomi messaging )
Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by seanwilliam(m): 11:12pm On Aug 25, 2020
omoadeleye:

you are the one that needs to stop embarrassing yourself with your frivolous whining and lamentations.

you were complaining about your airtime being deducted for activation after inserting new sim to your phone, then i advised you then to stop changing SIM if you can't cope with the deduction, cause mi phone are built to be secured so for every new SIM you inserted into your phone, it will always requires activation. so if you cannot accept the advice of changing your SIM then you can take this new advise to sell your phone then get a tecno where you can continue changing to new SIMs as you like.
stop defending what is not! Simple! Why other brands no dey do like that..why must they be different
Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Flytime: 11:13pm On Aug 25, 2020
Mccullum:
Though Chinese smart phones manufacturing companies may be guilty of the allegations. Is Google not spying on the whole world? Because it came from US no one bother of that threat to their privacy...

All are the same, it'll be better for Africa to think on how to become manufacturing continent, not buyers of every finished products.
does google open sites on your phone by itself?
Does google install malware to your device?
Does google disturb you with ads?

No matter what os you're using your data will end up being collected,your manufacturer would also collect some data.....all we need are trust worthy brands like the likes of the iPhone,nokia,samsung and even the Google pixel in the market which are from companies that are protecting users data.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by chukwugoziegi: 11:16pm On Aug 25, 2020
GeneralPula:
Even tho, I don’t use them china phones.. I always knew face unlock is definitely one coded tools for these folks.. I’ve never used it even on iPhone..

The best way to lock and unlock your phone is either via password or pin. Even finger prints, I don’t trust em.

This is another reason why people should desist from taking their naked pictures..

China nah one evil country. But I love the fact that they’re displaying the disadvantages of technology to the whole world..

Phones are not just called mobile phones anymore but smart phone.. It means you gotta be smart with whatever you wanna do with your phone!!

Wish Black berry and Nokia fit comes back to market.

Blackberry is planning a comeback for First Quarter of 2021. Saw it on the news just last week and I shouted with excitement. I don miss that phone tire.

Nokia is Everywhere though as I currently use one. Been using it since 2018 even.

4 Likes

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Flytime: 11:18pm On Aug 25, 2020
Idrismusty97:
Even iPhone is produced in China.They may as well send only the defective and malware infected iPhone to Africa.
smh
Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by eby001(m): 11:25pm On Aug 25, 2020
omoadeleye:

You have all the time dealing with him sad grin
Someone you could have ignored.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by imthealpha: 11:25pm On Aug 25, 2020
garugaru:
Xiaomi is very much guilty of this shît, they took close to 5h from me, every time I change my sim something would just pop up and next thing I know 50 naira gone (a service to verify mi message I think) i had to disable some system app from getting sms permission

I'm currently facing the same issue, 50N gets deducted from my SIM every week, I had to stop recharging the SIM(first SIM slot) and started using the second slot. How did you stop it??
Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by wiseone28: 11:27pm On Aug 25, 2020
King44:
Finally a topic has been opened on this fairly used phone I have been using and it is from China. It has a malware and I can't remove it cos the instruction I could follow to have it removed is written in Mandarin
Then you have to enroll in mandarin classes grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by garugaru: 11:27pm On Aug 25, 2020
imthealpha:

I'm currently facing the same issue, 50N gets deducted from my SIM every week, I had to stop recharging the SIM and started using the second slot. How did you stop it??
i went to settings in the sms app and deactivated the mi message option for both sim 1 and sim 2
Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Flytime: 11:28pm On Aug 25, 2020
omoadeleye:

you were complaining about your airtime being deducted for activation after inserting new sim to your phone, then i advised you then to stop changing SIM if you can't cope with the deduction, cause mi phone are built to be secured so for every new SIM you inserted into your phone, it will always requires activation. so if you cannot accept the advice of changing your SIM then you can take this new advise to sell your phone then get a [b]tecno[/b]where you can continue changing to new SIMs as you like.
you messed up there
I mean iPhone doesn't deduct for SIM activation..... Samsung doesn't, Nokia doesn't, pixel doesn't in fact xiaomi is the only smartphone brand I know that does that and it doesn't make it the most secured.

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Dearlord(m): 11:30pm On Aug 25, 2020
One4me:

Abeg, stop crying Wolf where there is non!
I am not in support of this sort of nefarious activity but first, histiry shows that it is not just Chinese phones, American and European Phones have had Malware in them in the past as well. Even Intel's Processor at a time, was infected with malware, at source.
What usually happens is that the Manufacturer will quickly release an Update to deal with the situation.

But l guess because it is China, you need to shout on the Roof Top, afteral, tha is what the Westerners want you and told you to do.

As bad as the Chinese are, if not for the greed and criminality of our Leaders, they are the only ones ready to borrow you money to develop your country, Americans wont even give you War Planes to fight terrorism, until after FIVE YEARS when the terrorists would have killed you enough and gained enough ground to make your purchases obsolete. undecided grin

Most Africans need to be careful over aligning with the West, in their fight against China, just stay neutral or play them against each other otherwise, we will feel sorry at the end of the day.

China is corrupt (and they find the corruption of our Politicians very welcoming) but they are ready to help us.
The West (America/Europe) are also corrupt but they are not ready to help us develop, they'd rathe rprefer we remain slaves and source of cheap labour to them, through managed migration.
Reflect over this carefully.

Nice observation

3 Likes

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by wiseone28: 11:33pm On Aug 25, 2020
intruder15:

I have used a Gionee that is made for China and I didn't experience such. I have friends that have used the M4 and M6 series but didn't experience same. So if u have used one that you experienced such, I will appreciate if you state it here so people will be mindful of the phones they buy.
The Indian rom version usually send messages and your 15 naira or more will be deducted.when the phone is powered on or sim change..

I used to experience it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Anyone Can Withdraw Money Without Knowing Your ATM PIN / Infinix Launches Infinix Hot 4 And Now Selling At Cheap Rate / How Can I Detect Private Number When Some1 Use It To Flash Me.pls Help Me.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.