Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,442 members, 7,836,777 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" (25925 Views)

School Na Scam!!! / School Na Scam, When They Never Had The Education! Please Solve This (mr Shape) / JAMB 2017 Change Of Course/institution Dilemma: A Nairalander's Perspective. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Dpsychologist: 11:48am On Aug 26, 2020
madridsta007:

1. Get into a Nigerian University.
2. Work hard. Have no social life, no girlfriend, don’t drink, don’t smoke.
3. Graduate with a 1st Class or Excellent 2.1.
4. Expand your reading and knowledge list beyond your area of studies.
4. Get a scholarship for a PhD or Masters outside Nigeria.
5. Some years later, life meets you doing well at the cutting-edge of your chosen career.
6. That career can be traced to that University education you received in Nigeria.

Instead of helping to spread the lazy narrative of “school na scam” why don’t we, once again, go back to the era where excellence in education is encouraged? I’ve never seen a 1st class student saying, “school na scam”.
Young people in Nigeria today are extremely, extremely lazy, most of them. This is the problem. Not the Universities.
I disagree with you. I have seen alot of hardworking graduates that leave miserably

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by bularuz(m): 11:48am On Aug 26, 2020
As far as I am concerned school in Nigeria na scam, I have seen PhD holders working as factory work or in poultry and I have seen those without school certificates become governors and industrialists

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by HitlerGaddafi: 11:52am On Aug 26, 2020
Ajibade123:
school no be scam no let anybody deceive you
all those people that used to shout school na scam check their GP and you will be shocked that they are one of the best student of their department
It's actually the other way round. Students who shout "school na scam", do a background check on them, you'll realize they are struggling academically

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by chocboi78(m): 11:52am On Aug 26, 2020
TL;DR
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by cooleo(m): 11:53am On Aug 26, 2020
God bless you OP. There is nothing to add or subtract from your analysis
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Dpsychologist: 11:54am On Aug 26, 2020
SmartPolician:
School no be scam

We just need to upgrade our education to be goal-oriented and result-driven

Many lecturers need to change their mindsets about education

I remember one of them telling us to make a first class or 2'1 so as to get a good job.

No lecturer, in my time, ever talked about establishing your business.

If we all graduate with the mindset of looking for jobs, who will create them?

Las Las, we passed through the University of Hard Knocks and realized that the kinda job we wanted was reserved for a few.

Today, I am absolutely delighted to have created a good job for myself

Once again, school no be scam
Thats exactly what the OP is saying
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by elantraceey(f): 11:57am On Aug 26, 2020
Epositive:
Salient points you have there. I can relate.

Personally, I'm having my own share in the rot of our educational system. I'm a 300L student, studying Agricultural Economics and Extension. But, like my other mates in agro-related disciplines here in my faculty, I have never step a foot on the farms for practicals. Even if it's to practice few of the theories learnt so far. A 5-year professional course for that matter. Imagine. No, just imagine. undecided

Seriously, our academic curriculum needs total reform. I googled "Agricultural economics syllabus" with the names of some reputable school around the world and I was awed. All the courses were strictly related to the discipline. So far, I can categorically tell you only 15% of everything I've learnt is connected to my course of study. Everything else is "borrowed" subtly put.

Also, results was pasted recently, and to my shock, I passed all my courses expect for one that surfaced as "DROP". Noting that I've never had a CO, hence, had no reservation whatsoever to dropping that course. I have paid my fees and all my courses are duly registered, as evident in both online and manual course registration forms. Tests and exam? I wrote my best while maintaining good conducts all through. Never had a faceoff with any lecturer, yet the course was dropped. Up till now, the lecturer in charge is yet to give a good reason as to that "error". Asking if I attended his class, wrote his test and exam. Like Baba, check your attendance lists now. angry Now I've got to rewrite that course... Just like that.

Laboratory? You are bound to share apparatus with 19 other students. Or even 29 in some cases like Physics Practicals. Even with zero participation, just make sure your matric no is on the attendance list, then copy the assignments later. You are sure to have an A or B and you say school is not scam. grin

Library? The most recent books there are dated "2009". They are usually 2005 downwards. I've resolved not to visit the book store any longer. angry

Most times, when I go online to read and watch latest news regarding my course of study, I found out that some of the things taught are obsolete.

And so on... Little wonder why most of us are in school just for the pali. We are no longer interested in the knowledge for self-reliance and service to nation. Because the knowledge impacted by these lecturers are usually outdated, I once saw an handout (inked not typed) dated "2009" last semester. And you dare not give them a "new approach" outside the scope of handouts. Why bother, after all, certificates doesn't guarantee good, discipline-related jobs.

Mehn me I can't can anymore. That's why even with the overwhelming academic hustle and bustle, I still spare some time to learn photography (photo editing, cinematography, graphics design and animation). Local man can not come and carry last. undecided

You are a wise man. I wish I picked up something on the side while in school, I certainly will be a lot better in it right now.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by BluntTheApostle(m): 11:58am On Aug 26, 2020
The claim that school is a scam is not exclusive to Nigerian students.

As a matter of fact, many intellectuals such as Bernard Shaw had their reservations about schooling. Bernard Shaw was an accomplished writer (a Nobel prize winner in Literature) and a famous contributor to political science. He thought of schooling as a waste of time.

In my own perspective, schooling is not entirely a scam.

However, to many famous people of sound minds, schooling is a scam. Many sound minds were self taught. They didn't go to school to learn what they became famous for.

But the problem is that some of the books they read were probably written by people who attended school.

So, school is not entirely a scam.

Even in Nigeria, unemployment, and working in a different field from one's field of qualification does not necessarily make school a scam.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by lexy2014: 11:59am On Aug 26, 2020
Ajibade123:
all those people that used to shout school na scam check their GP and you will be shocked that they are one of the best student of their department

If what they have in their GP can't get them a job that reflects their GP, y then shouldn't they say "school na scam"?
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Strokephysio(m): 12:01pm On Aug 26, 2020
Nigerian educational system na MAJOR SCAM, 80% of our graduates cannot write an employment letter without consulting google for format grin.. Most of them no sabi define there course self.. Mtcheww

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Aladdin1(m): 12:04pm On Aug 26, 2020
Who read this long Epistle thats a hogwash and hoolabaloo. The summary and conclusion of the whole matter is that in Nigeria "School na Scam". PERIOD!!!
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Nobody: 12:06pm On Aug 26, 2020
SUPERPACK:
Gather here if you did not read the long epistle.
Pride in ignorance, only in Nigeria.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by CocoaOla: 12:07pm On Aug 26, 2020
School no be scam it our mentality of going to school will make you rich that is scam you can not and will not make you rich anywhere in the world your good character innovations, good brain power, determination and hard work make you rich no be by cram book

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Eddygre8(m): 12:14pm On Aug 26, 2020
Try ignorance

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by deleo16(m): 12:16pm On Aug 26, 2020
EDUCATION- the activities of instructing activities that impart knowledge or skill. Education is to SOLVES problems while most call it a SCAM is because here in Nigeria they still leaving in an illusion of this graduate,get job bua haha getting education is not confined to a school or 4 walls of a building it's might be from reading a book,going to library,getting a vocational skill e.tc i have learnt more from YouTube than what the lecturers taught me in university ,what is not SCAM and should be made mandatory is BASIC EDUCATION (primary and secondary school) like the ones taught back then in 70's although some private school also teach this, basic aritimetic and being able to read and write ,that's why in my opinion primary school and secondary school should be made mandatory for every student and get a well sound teaching at that level while university should be made optional n
IF everyone becomes a professor who will create the jobs ,who are the individual that will go into SPORTS,fashion e.t.c BUT THE SOUND BASIC EDUCATION IS NECESSARY e.t.c nice Witte up OP

Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Yankee101: 12:16pm On Aug 26, 2020
Hustle na hustle

If street hustle pay you, go street
If school hustle pay you, go school

But remember say even for street hustle you must LEARN to survive

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by madridsta007(m): 12:19pm On Aug 26, 2020
Dpsychologist:

I disagree with you. I have seen alot of hardworking graduates that leave miserably

I was specific.
I said, “graduate with a 1st Class or a high 2.1”

You can be hardworking and graduate with a third class.
I’m focused on the result.
I have never seen a 1st class or a 2.1 graduate from the worst Nigerian university cry out, “school na scam”. Even 2.2 or 3rd class that have a vision and are hardworking do not shout that nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Petersamuel8(m): 12:19pm On Aug 26, 2020
Nobody should be deceived, school is never a scam
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by CocoaOla: 12:20pm On Aug 26, 2020
School no be scam it our mentality of going to school will make you rich that is scam. It can not and will not make you rich anywhere in the world your good character innovations, good brain power, determination and hard work make you rich no be by cram book go and ask Germany Russia others technical school full everywhere
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Juliearth(f): 12:22pm On Aug 26, 2020
School can never be scam. The whole idea about education isn't just about getting a job. Yes, there are vicissitudes that make education in this part of the world not so effective(poor curriculum, poor teaching aides, under equipped labs, half- baked lecturers among other factors) but I believe that a student who is ready to learn would think outside the box on how to consolidate the knowledge s(he) gets from the classroom.

Yes, there are no jobs, but who says you can't create one?

School/ education is meant to shape our thinking. Reason being why a graduate tends to think better, act better... The only factor that makes education a scam is when the student passes through the four walls of the university without the university passing through him.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Jodera: 12:23pm On Aug 26, 2020
SmartPolician:
School no be scam

We just need to upgrade our education to be goal-oriented and result-driven

Many lecturers need to change their mindsets about education

I remember one of them telling us to make a first class or 2'1 so as to get a good job.

No lecturer, in my time, ever talked about establishing your business.

If we all graduate with the mindset of looking for jobs, who will create them?

Las Las, we passed through the University of Hard Knocks and realized that the kinda job we wanted was reserved for a few.

Today, I am absolutely delighted to have created a good job for myself

Once again, school no be scam

All this talk you talked is exact same the that was written in the article..

If only you've read it.. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Creeza(m): 12:24pm On Aug 26, 2020
Karleb:

It might be interesting and inspiring but it doesn't appeal to an audience due to the length.

The OP should learn to not write everything on his mind.
I read everything and i mean everything. The truth is Nigerians dont read anymore. Even the lecturers are the worst. They teach redundancy and call it syllables. how can you claim to have taught a course for years and still dictate from your dusty-rusty manuals from the 90's. whatever happened to reading and understanding? To be honest you cant expect a student to retain knowledge when you impacting it cannot apply common sense and adapt to change. As you said "OP should learn to not write everything in his head'
A very vital approach when you consider the attention span and interest rate of today.

Reminds me of one of my lecturers then in uniben. The man would always say "stop cramming your fucking handouts and understand what you read...the world has changed'His exams and tests were indeed mind blowing.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by SmartPolician: 12:24pm On Aug 26, 2020
Jodera:

All this talk you talked is exact same the that was written in the article..

If only you've read it.. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I just shared my viewpoint
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by ogboro1(m): 12:28pm On Aug 26, 2020
with all the whole point baba bring out....e no still change d fact say.....las las school na scam
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Juliearth(f): 12:28pm On Aug 26, 2020
Epositive:
Salient points you have there. I can relate.

Personally, I'm having my own share in the rot of our educational system. I'm a 300L student, studying Agricultural Economics and Extension. But, like my other mates in agro-related disciplines here in my faculty, I have never step a foot on the farms for practicals. Even if it's to practice few of the theories learnt so far. A 5-year professional course for that matter. Imagine. No, just imagine. undecided

Seriously, our academic curriculum needs total reform. I googled "Agricultural economics syllabus" with the names of some reputable school around the world and I was awed. All the courses were strictly related to the discipline. So far, I can categorically tell you only 15% of everything I've learnt is connected to my course of study. Everything else is "borrowed" subtly put.

Also, results was pasted recently, and to my shock, I passed all my courses expect for one that surfaced as "DROP". Noting that I've never had a CO, hence, had no reservation whatsoever to dropping that course. I have paid my fees and all my courses are duly registered, as evident in both online and manual course registration forms. Tests and exam? I wrote my best while maintaining good conducts all through. Never had a faceoff with any lecturer, yet the course was dropped. Up till now, the lecturer in charge is yet to give a good reason as to that "error". Asking if I attended his class, wrote his test and exam. Like Baba, check your attendance lists now. angry Now I've got to rewrite that course... Just like that.

Laboratory? You are bound to share apparatus with 19 other students. Or even 29 in some cases like Physics Practicals. Even with zero participation, just make sure your matric no is on the attendance list, then copy the assignments later. You are sure to have an A or B and you say school is not scam. grin

Library? The most recent books there are dated "2009". They are usually 2005 downwards. I've resolved not to visit the book store any longer. angry

Most times, when I go online to read and watch latest news regarding my course of study, I found out that some of the things taught are obsolete.

And so on... Little wonder why most of us are in school just for the pali. We are no longer interested in the knowledge for self-reliance and service to nation. Because the knowledge impacted by these lecturers are usually outdated, I once saw an handout (inked not typed) dated "2009" last semester. And you dare not give them a "new approach" outside the scope of handouts. Why bother, after all, certificates doesn't guarantee good, discipline-related jobs.

Mehn me I can't can anymore. That's why even with the overwhelming academic hustle and bustle, I still spare some time to learn photography (photo editing, cinematography, graphics design and animation). Local man can not come and carry last. undecided

You have never step your foot in a farm for practicals? Were/are your feet tied? Don't you have fallow lands around your house/neighbourhood. Your lecturer does not give a freaking frack about your practicals because with or without that, he is paid...do you want to tie your destiny on this inadequacy?

Yes, the curriculum in other schools abroad are more fine tuned, but are you also aware that you can equip yourself with the content of this curriculum? Run a google check on each topic from the curriculum, watch YouTube videos, try it on your piece of land and you are good to go.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Nobody: 12:29pm On Aug 26, 2020
O jeez
I can't just read this
Kalatium Doe's it have to be this long undecided
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Juliearth(f): 12:30pm On Aug 26, 2020
Ajibade123:

You are right! They are either the best students or the worst.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Jodera: 12:31pm On Aug 26, 2020
SmartPolician:

I just shared my viewpoint
I get, but your viewpoint is just like you're opposing the article whereas all the points you made is the same thing the article made.
If you read the article, you wouldn't have said exact same thing
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by AkwaIbomMan(m): 12:31pm On Aug 26, 2020
Karleb:

It might be interesting and inspiring but it doesn't appeal to an audience due to the length.

The OP should learn to not write everything on his mind.
God bless you.
You just said it all.
The title of the thread seems so thrilling but the long composition just made me lose the zeal to read it

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by SUPERPACK: 12:33pm On Aug 26, 2020
AhmedEmeka:
Pride in ignorance, only in Nigeria.
Go and sit down my friend.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Dpsychologist: 12:38pm On Aug 26, 2020
madridsta007:

I was specific.
I said, “graduate with a 1st Class or a high 2.1”

You can be hardworking and graduate with a third class.
I’m focused on the result.
I have never seen a 1st class graduate from the worst Nigerian university cry out, “school na scam”.
Well i have seen a 1st first graduates that cry out school na scam

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Jodera: 12:38pm On Aug 26, 2020
Juliearth:

You have never step your foot in a farm for practicals? Were/are your feet tied? Don't you have fallow lands around your house/neighbourhood. Your lecturer does not give a freaking frack about your practicals because with or without that, he is paid...do you want to tie your destiny on this inadequacy?

Yes, the curriculum in other schools abroad are more fine tuned, but are you also aware that you can equip yourself with the content of this curriculum? Run a google check on each topic from the curriculum, watch YouTube videos, try it on your piece of land and you are good to go.
Where should he get the mechanized tools and apparatus he would need to apply from the farm? Should he download it from YouTube too? Keep in mind he paid for these practicals through his school fees
Come on, in as much everyone knows he'll need to improve his/herself, but there are some things only school can provide and mostly practicals is one of them. That's why the op talked about revamping our educational system, cos it's things like this that make Nigerians to churn out half-baked graduates.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Professor Jamiu Mosobalaje Oyawoye Is Dead / Obafemi Awolowo University Student Union Suspended / Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Chat Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.