Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,089 members, 7,835,663 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:09 PM

A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" (25915 Views)

School Na Scam!!! / School Na Scam, When They Never Had The Education! Please Solve This (mr Shape) / JAMB 2017 Change Of Course/institution Dilemma: A Nairalander's Perspective. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Dpsychologist: 12:41pm On Aug 26, 2020
Juliearth:

You have never step your foot in a farm for practicals? Were/are your feet tied? Don't you have fallow lands around your house/neighbourhood. Your lecturer does not give a freaking frack about your practicals because with or without that, he is paid...do you want to tie your destiny on this inadequacy?

Yes, the curriculum in other schools abroad are more fine tuned, but are you also aware that you can equip yourself with the content of this curriculum? Run a google check on each topic from the curriculum, watch YouTube videos, try it on your piece of land and you are good to go.
I agree with you on this

However what is the essence of going to the school when you can just learn it on YouTube or google. You paid school fees to learn and at the end you end up not learning much. What is the essence.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by kayrichy: 12:42pm On Aug 26, 2020
Majority of Nigerians don’t read..
Readers are leaders
Leaders are readers
Karleb:

It might be interesting and inspiring but it doesn't appeal to an audience due to the length.

The OP should learn to not write everything on his mind.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Epositive(m): 12:44pm On Aug 26, 2020
Juliearth:

You have never step your foot in a farm for practicals? Were/are your feet tied? Don't you have fallow lands around your house/neighbourhood.
No undecided

Your lecturer does not give a freaking frack about your practicals because with or without that, he is paid...do you want to tie your destiny on this inadequacy?
He should. How else are we to relate with the theories learnt in the class better? undecided
Yes, the curriculum in other schools abroad are more fine tuned, but are you also aware that you can equip yourself with the content of this curriculum? Run a google check on each topic from the curriculum, watch YouTube videos, try it on your piece of land and you are good to go.
I do that already. I follow some farm blogs, watch several videos on new crops, livestock breeds down to the latest machineries in the agro-industry. undecided
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Nobody: 12:53pm On Aug 26, 2020
SUPERPACK:
Go and sit down my friend.
Can't be friend with a lazy fella.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Epositive(m): 12:57pm On Aug 26, 2020
Dpsychologist:

I agree with you on this

However what is the essence of going to the school when you can just learn it on YouTube or google. You paid school fees to learn and at the end you end up not learning much. What is the essence.
Exactly. If there's is an approved certificate of learning online, I would have opted for it.

Jodera:
Where should he get the mechanized tools and apparatus he would need to apply from the farm? Should he download it from YouTube too? Keep in mind he paid for these practicals through his school fees
Come on, in as much everyone knows he'll need to improve his/herself, but there are some things only school can provide and mostly practicals is one of them. That's why the op talked about revamping our educational system, cos it's things like this that make Nigerians to churn out half-baked graduates.
It's sad mehn. We ran through some topics in agricultural engineering and not even a Spanner is visible. How about agrochemicals and the likes?

It has been theories upon essays. angry
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by SUPERPACK: 1:00pm On Aug 26, 2020
AhmedEmeka:

Can't be friend with a lazy fella.
Who your friendship epp. I don't fuck1ng need it.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Nobody: 1:03pm On Aug 26, 2020
SUPERPACK:
Who your friendship epp. I don't fuck1ng need it.
The time you are using to go back and forth with me would have been better invested in reading the article.

But I know you won't, you prefer being an ignorant nigga.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Xpol: 1:04pm On Aug 26, 2020
If you think sku na scam read this. I enlisted into the police force with just O level, my brother who's a graduate was hustling struggling to get a job more than 2yrs no way... last last He applied for NDA direct short service, got shortlisted and made it. level changed I couldn't even safe his one month salary in a year so how is sku a scam.

XPOL
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by WoundedLamb: 1:06pm On Aug 26, 2020
Everyone to his own. As for me, school brought me this far and because of that, I'd always encourage formal education!

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by SUPERPACK: 1:07pm On Aug 26, 2020
AhmedEmeka:

The time you are using to go back and forth with me would have been better invested in reading the article.

But I know you won't, you prefer being an ignorant nigga.
U that read it how have it bettered your useless life.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Kinaman: 1:17pm On Aug 26, 2020
Lovely writeup
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by johnnyn1(m): 1:31pm On Aug 26, 2020
I I’ll repost this very soon, when my acc balance smiles at me.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Nobody: 1:36pm On Aug 26, 2020
SUPERPACK:
U that read it how have it bettered your useless life.
I read something and you can't even read a paragraph from it and you are asking how that has made my life any better compare to your life of laziness and ignorance? I put it to you that you are very mad.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Sirmwill: 1:36pm On Aug 26, 2020
Sadly,
Just Sadly
Many write ups like this have come and gone
Yours is just about to join the Ludicrous verbose list

I am sorry to say that reading and writing this post is just a numb waste of time because it counts to nothing

The major problem of agonizing Nigerians in every sector undergoing mental and financial squander is simply that "Everybody is reacting and no one is acting"

This is just a mere reaction
cry

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by SUPERPACK: 1:39pm On Aug 26, 2020
AhmedEmeka:

I read something and you can't even read a paragraph from it and you are asking how that has made my life any better compare to your life of laziness and ignorance? I put it to you that you are very mad.
Useless creature. 21st century illiterate.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by madridsta007(m): 1:42pm On Aug 26, 2020
Dpsychologist:

Well i have seen a 1st first graduates that cry out school na scam

Please put that person in touch with me.
Please.
If you dont, then I'll take it that you are simply lying.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Jodera: 1:43pm On Aug 26, 2020
Epositive:

Exactly. If there's is an approved certificate of learning online, I would have opted for it.

It's sad mehn. We ran through some topics in agricultural engineering and not even a Spanner is visible. How about agrochemicals and the likes?

It has been theories upon essays. angry

Like me, I do tell my folks, I went to school to learn theory. And it's really sad saying this.
How will one go to school just to learn theory? Why won't one be unemployed wen he/she graduates. If one is knowledgeable in practical, whether job
isn't available, the person can start up his/her own biz by applying the practical side of what he learnt in school. That's the reason China is developed today, but we, we're so engrossed with theory that LA cram la pour is the way foward in exam.

I do tell people, if our educational system is standard, 30-40% of unemployment will be cured.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Jodera: 1:49pm On Aug 26, 2020
Dpsychologist:

I agree with you on this

My brother, me sef wonder oo.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Nobody: 1:49pm On Aug 26, 2020
SUPERPACK:
Useless creature. 21st century illiterate.
Person wey take pride in not reading is calling me an illiterate? Guy face front.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by SAUTUSSUNNAH(m): 1:49pm On Aug 26, 2020
Shellsploit:
This life no just balance...

grin
Only marlians can relate
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Nobody: 1:51pm On Aug 26, 2020
Jodera:
My brother, me sef wonder oo.
Put the YouTube videos you watch on your CV as qualifications and apply for a multinational job naw.

CERTIFICATE ARE STILL VERY MUCH IMPORTANT.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Nobody: 1:53pm On Aug 26, 2020
Dpsychologist:

I agree with you on this

There are plenty YouTube video on how to fly a plane, watch one of those and apply for a pilot position at that or better still watch some on surgery and become a doctor.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by afm4ever(m): 1:55pm On Aug 26, 2020
Epositive:
Salient points you have there. I can relate.

Personally, I'm having my own share in the rot of our educational system. I'm a 300L student, studying Agricultural Economics and Extension. But, like my other mates in agro-related disciplines here in my faculty, I have never step a foot on the farms for practicals. Even if it's to practice few of the theories learnt so far. A 5-year professional course for that matter. Imagine. No, just imagine. undecided

Seriously, our academic curriculum needs total reform. I googled "Agricultural economics syllabus" with the names of some reputable school around the world and I was awed. All the courses were strictly related to the discipline. So far, I can categorically tell you only 15% of everything I've learnt is connected to my course of study. Everything else is "borrowed" subtly put.

Also, results was pasted recently, and to my shock, I passed all my courses expect for one that surfaced as "DROP". Noting that I've never had a CO, hence, had no reservation whatsoever to dropping that course. I have paid my fees and all my courses are duly registered, as evident in both online and manual course registration forms. Tests and exam? I wrote my best while maintaining good conducts all through. Never had a faceoff with any lecturer, yet the course was dropped. Up till now, the lecturer in charge is yet to give a good reason as to that "error". Asking if I attended his class, wrote his test and exam. Like Baba, check your attendance lists now. angry Now I've got to rewrite that course... Just like that.

Laboratory? You are bound to share apparatus with 19 other students. Or even 29 in some cases like Physics Practicals. Even with zero participation, just make sure your matric no is on the attendance list, then copy the assignments later. You are sure to have an A or B and you say school is not scam. grin

Library? The most recent books there are dated "2009". They are usually 2005 downwards. I've resolved not to visit the book store any longer. angry

Most times, when I go online to read and watch latest news regarding my course of study, I found out that some of the things taught are obsolete.

And so on... Little wonder why most of us are in school just for the pali. We are no longer interested in the knowledge for self-reliance and service to nation. Because the knowledge impacted by these lecturers are usually outdated, I once saw an handout (inked not typed) dated "2009" last semester. And you dare not give them a "new approach" outside the scope of handouts. Why bother, after all, certificates doesn't guarantee good, discipline-related jobs.

Mehn me I can't can anymore. That's why even with the overwhelming academic hustle and bustle, I still spare some time to learn photography (photo editing, cinematography, graphics design and animation). Local man can not come and carry last. undecided
am studying same course as you and am in 300 level pls I will like to chat you privately if you don't mind
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Timagex(m): 1:57pm On Aug 26, 2020
Epositive:
Salient points you have there. I can relate.

Personally, I'm having my own share in the rot of our educational system. I'm a 300L student, studying Agricultural Economics and Extension. But, like my other mates in agro-related disciplines here in my faculty, I have never step a foot on the farms for practicals. Even if it's to practice few of the theories learnt so far. A 5-year professional course for that matter. Imagine. No, just imagine. undecided

Seriously, our academic curriculum needs total reform. I googled "Agricultural economics syllabus" with the names of some reputable school around the world and I was awed. All the courses were strictly related to the discipline. So far, I can categorically tell you only 15% of everything I've learnt is connected to my course of study. Everything else is "borrowed" subtly put.

Also, results was pasted recently, and to my shock, I passed all my courses expect for one that surfaced as "DROP". Noting that I've never had a CO, hence, had no reservation whatsoever to dropping that course. I have paid my fees and all my courses are duly registered, as evident in both online and manual course registration forms. Tests and exam? I wrote my best while maintaining good conducts all through. Never had a faceoff with any lecturer, yet the course was dropped. Up till now, the lecturer in charge is yet to give a good reason as to that "error". Asking if I attended his class, wrote his test and exam. Like Baba, check your attendance lists now. angry Now I've got to rewrite that course... Just like that.

Laboratory? You are bound to share apparatus with 19 other students. Or even 29 in some cases like Physics Practicals. Even with zero participation, just make sure your matric no is on the attendance list, then copy the assignments later. You are sure to have an A or B and you say school is not scam. grin

Library? The most recent books there are dated "2009". They are usually 2005 downwards. I've resolved not to visit the book store any longer. angry

Most times, when I go online to read and watch latest news regarding my course of study, I found out that some of the things taught are obsolete.

And so on... Little wonder why most of us are in school just for the pali. We are no longer interested in the knowledge for self-reliance and service to nation. Because the knowledge impacted by these lecturers are usually outdated, I once saw an handout (inked not typed) dated "2009" last semester. And you dare not give them a "new approach" outside the scope of handouts. Why bother, after all, certificates doesn't guarantee good, discipline-related jobs.

Mehn me I can't can anymore. That's why even with the overwhelming academic hustle and bustle, I still spare some time to learn photography (photo editing, cinematography, graphics design and animation). Local man can not come and carry last. undecided
. cheesy. Nice write-up. But, why do I feel you are from oau? cool Anyways, I'm a graduate of OAU and I have been into photography before I got admission. Please sir, make more time for the photography and cinematography that you are learning. Thats your meal ticket. School na scam true true. Bless up... cool

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by HumanCalc: 1:58pm On Aug 26, 2020
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by SUPERPACK: 2:04pm On Aug 26, 2020
AhmedEmeka:

Person wey take pride in not reading is calling me an illiterate? Guy face front.
foolish thing. Quote me again and confirm that you are a fool truly.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Maj196(m): 2:04pm On Aug 26, 2020
No long talk cheesy... School na Scam grin
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Dpsychologist: 2:05pm On Aug 26, 2020
AhmedEmeka:

There are plenty YouTube video on how to fly a plane, watch one of those and apply for a pilot position at that or better still watch some on surgery and become a doctor.
Having a certificate is the only difference. If i can watch a YouTube video on flying a plan and after learning all the step, i was given certificate i will be able to do it just as those reading the course.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Dpsychologist: 2:08pm On Aug 26, 2020
HumanCalc:
Op failed to hit on the real problem. You see, Nigerians are taught in school to not consider money first. They want us to treat knowledge as the most important thing but then forget that money rules the lives of most Nigerians even the so-called educators. And why won't it? We are poor. Most of us live on less than $1 a day. That's bad. Despite this, we are never taught how to make money. We are taught knowledge and then left to figure out how to make money with it. That's why our youths are always "finding job" every time. "I applied here and there". Rich countries became rich because of different establishments by their governments and citizens. You just can't expect the government to start creating job everyday so you can get "somewhere to work". The point is, there are 7bn people in the world right now, how can you be of benefit or use to them and then in turn, gain money from them. That should be the only important question to 9ja youths. Jobs are all filled. That's the truth, it's not Nigeria only, it's all around the world. 9ja maybe worst though. Education is not scam, Nigeria education is. Nigeria itself is. We are in a poor country with very corrupt citizens with little sense of concern for their country, so what do you expect? Even the highly rated medical degree is scam in 9ja (if you stay in 9ja anyway), but the moment you leave these shores, you see the better side of the world.

So in short, when next you want to say education is scam, always add "In Nigeria" to it.

Bro i am not sure you read the OP's post. He said school(Nigerian school) is scam not education.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Dpsychologist: 2:10pm On Aug 26, 2020
AhmedEmeka:

Put the YouTube videos you watch on your CV as qualifications and apply for a multinational job naw.

CERTIFICATE ARE STILL VERY MUCH IMPORTANT.

If there will be an online course where you will watch YouTube videos and after learning you will graduate and be given certificate. Believe you me. Many students will do better than our so called schools. Where you are only encouraged to cram.
Re: A Nairalander's Perspective On "School Na Scam" by Nobody: 2:22pm On Aug 26, 2020
Dpsychologist:

If there will be an online course where you will watch YouTube videos and after learning you will graduate and be given certificate. Believe you me. Many students will do better than our so called schools. Where you are only encouraged to cram.
Not entirely, interaction and standardized test are equally important.

Go and check your result, your degree was awarded both on character and learning.

I like YouTube and learn alot from it, probably more than in school but YouTube can't easily replace school. If it does there would be regulations set in place, curriculum and all that and you would end up having the same issue with schools.

Better still, what problem do you actually have with conventional education?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

LAUTECH Students Booed Ajimobi (Video) / Professor Jamiu Mosobalaje Oyawoye Is Dead / Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Chat Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.