Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:02 AM

Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please (7722 Views)

Poll: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?

Yes: 37% (23 votes)
No: 62% (39 votes)
This poll has ended

I Need Your Vote Please....contestant 15 / Fuel Tanker Currently On Fire At Lekki Toll Gate... See Photos / Festac Suya-Spot 2nd Gate Burnt (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Basseti: 6:56pm On Feb 19, 2011
tellwisdom:

How many hours i go take look dbanj or tuface for 25k? SHEBY NA 6years aby?  I see him more clearly on T.V than FACE 2 FACE, So, for person like me, Paying to watch them no go work grin grin grin, if i no get d C.D i go go borrow(FREE) IF I NO GET LITE, I go go watch am for my nebor wey get lite(FREE)

Same reason why I would rather stay at home, with some cold drinks and snacks, and watch a game on TV rather than going to some packed up stadium where the potential of getting jacked up is also high. Throw in I get to see replays too cheesy

r231:

true

I have been to a show where the artist didnt even show up on stage

cus he is drunk backstage

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by eldee(m): 6:57pm On Feb 19, 2011
Sagamite:

Bacause Jay-Z and Beyonce are Jay-Z and Beyonce to the world.

You can't say because Shoprite is Harrods to Nigeria, that means Shoprite should charge the same as Harrods. Or because Goldman Sachs pays £300K per employee, then IBTC should pay the same. Nigeria is less than most other countries.

Yeah, they feel they are as important as Jay-Z and Beyonce are to Nigeria . . . if you disagree, don't go see them.
I refused to see Drake for £25 a year ago, he came back this year and the average tickets are £50. I accepted it as, maybe other people value his music more than I do.

Nigeria is the entertainment capital of Africa . . . our artistes are idols in Ghana and Eastern Africa, Tuface will sell out in Kenya as fast as Jay-Z sold Glastonbury.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by rockiedink(m): 7:07pm On Feb 19, 2011
eldee:

Well if it was that hard for Nigerians to pay that much why does Star Mega Jam consistently have a full attendance??
As I said, they know how much they're worth, if you don't agree with them, don't go . . . they'll drop their prices.

FYI Star Mega Jam costs just N500; yes five hundred naira pere to watch. The VIP stand is N5k (five thousand naira). . . still way less than the blasted D'Banj and co shows.[size=5pt] Drunk mutherfcukers!!![/size]
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Sagamite(m): 7:08pm On Feb 19, 2011
eldee:

Nigeria is the entertainment capital of Africa . . . our artistes are idols in Ghana and Eastern Africa, Tuface will sell out in Kenya as fast as Jay-Z sold Glastonbury.

The thing there is that Jay-Z will not only sell in Glastonbury but also Kenya and faster at selling out.

Furthermore, because Tuface can sell in Kenya as much as Jay-Z sells in Glastonbury does not justify selling to Kenya what is being charged for Jay-Z at Glastonbury. But, that said, if some maga wants to pay for Tuface what Jay-Z can charge to show he is a "gbo-gbo big boy", that is fine. Just like if some maga wants to buy a dress in Shoprite for the same price for one in Harrods, not a problem, maga must pay.

rockiedink:

FYI Star Mega Jam costs just N500; yes five hundred naira pere to watch.  The VIP stand is N5k (five thousand naira). . . still way less than the blasted D'Banj and co shows.[size=5pt] Drunk mutherfcukers!!![/size]

Sounds more like reasonable prices.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by aloyemeka1: 7:11pm On Feb 19, 2011
eldee:

Yeah, they feel they are as important as Jay-Z and Beyonce are to Nigeria . . . if you disagree, don't go see them.
I refused to see Drake for £25 a year ago, he came back this year and the average tickets are £50. I accepted it as, maybe other people value his music more than I do.

I agree with Sagamite that the gate fees are too dear but I am not worried because entertainment is not essential commodity. Those who feel that N25k[$200] is chicken enough to go watch Flavor nabania or Tuface, good luck to them but I will not pay 10% of that amount for such nonsense. I ask again o, how many Americans will pay $100 to watch Beyonce?. The same Beyonce sold for N100k per ticket in Nigeria 3 years ago and some are foolish enough to pay N25k just to watch her from an adjunct room through cctv. May be Nigerians have misplaced priorities.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by eldee(m): 7:18pm On Feb 19, 2011
Sagamite:

The thing there is that Jay-Z will not only sell in Glastonbury but also Kenya and faster at selling out.

Furthermore, because Tuface can sell in Kenya as much as Jay-Z sells in Glastonbury does not justify selling to Kenya what is being charged for Jay-Z at Glastonbury. But, that said, if some maga wants to pay for Tuface what Jay-Z can charge to show he is a "gbo-gbo big boy", that is fine. Just like if some maga wants to buy a dress in Shoprite for the same price for one in Harrods, not a problem, maga must pay.

But we're not talking about what Jay-Z can sell in Kenya, it's what Tuface can sell at a particular place.
Nike sells the same pair trainers for $60 in the US and then £60 in the UK . . . why?? Because people are willing to buy at this price in the UK.

If people are tired of being magas, then they should stop going there with their girlfriends. . . in a country where to see a movie is N1500, people shouldn't be complaining bout 2face and boycott shows if they're pissed.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Sagamite(m): 7:33pm On Feb 19, 2011
eldee:

But we're not talking about what Jay-Z can sell in Kenya, it's what Tuface can sell at a particular place.
Nike sells the same pair trainers for $60 in the US and then £60 in the UK . . . why?? Because people are willing to buy at this price in the UK.

If people are tired of being magas, then they should stop going there with their girlfriends. . . in a country where to see a movie is N1500, people shouldn't be complaining bout 2face and boycott shows if they're pissed.

I completely agree.

aloy/emeka:

The same Beyonce sold for N100k per ticket in Nigeria 3 years ago and some are foolish enough to pay N25k just to watch her from an adjunct room through cctv.

ROFLMAO!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Reetards!
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by aloyemeka1: 7:33pm On Feb 19, 2011
eldee:

Now you hit the nail on the head. Majority of the financial  burden go to the men because of effizy. They want to prove a point to their girlfriends and as such will relent to complain that the prices of the tickets are outrageous. These musicians market themselves to the women and let them desire to attend their shows at the expense of the men. If you can't afford these shows as a man in Nigeria, then to the left to the left you go.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 7:40pm On Feb 19, 2011
ever since i discovered thrift stores i became cheap  grin you should see all the designer stuffs i buy from thrift stores for dirt cheap money. let me post pics  grin all those ralph shirts i got brand new for $1 each. i got like tonnes of em from thrift stores. now i wouldnt spend more than $5 on any shirt or t shirts. this is like 500 naira each

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

now picture me paying 25000 naira to see someone exercise their vocal cords ? hell nah
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 7:42pm On Feb 19, 2011
pierre cardin travel bag $3. this is like 300 naira. now picture me paying 25 k for concert ?

Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Sagamite(m): 7:46pm On Feb 19, 2011
aloy/emeka:

If you can't afford these shows as a man in Nigeria, then to the left to the left you go.

I would gladly move so faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar to the left, you will think I am Ryan Giggs.

buzugee:

ever since i discovered thrift stores i became cheap  grin you should see all the designer stuffs i buy from thrift stores for dirt cheap money. let me post pics  grin all those ralph shirts i got brand new for $1 each. i got like tonnes of em from thrift stores. now i wouldnt spend more than $5 on any shirt or t shirts. this is like 500 naira each

That sounds like some great stuff, although I make my best efforts not to wear anything with a label if I can.

Ralph Lauren or Tommy HilFIFA will have to pay my fyne arse some money  to be his billboard, rather than me pay some astronomous amount to be labelled by their stuff.

Essentially, I don't do labels, I am very comfortable with myself to the point I don't need them.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 7:47pm On Feb 19, 2011
designer leather pouch $1. this is like 100 naira

all a brother is saying is that i have become soooooooooooo cheap thanks to thrift stores. any concert above 500 naira i aint going  grin yall dont want me to post all my thrift store stuff. we will be here all day.  grin
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 7:48pm On Feb 19, 2011
Sagamite:

I would gladly move so faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar to the left, you will think I am Ryan Giggs.

That sounds like some great stuff, although I make my best efforts no to where anything with a label if I can.

Ralph Lauren or Tommy HilFIFA will have to pay my fyne arse some money  to be his billboard, rather than me pay some astronomous amount to be labelled by their stuff.

Essentially, I don't do labels, I am very comfortable with myself to the point I don't need them.
totally feel ya. i wouldnt wear anything with a label myself if i wasnt buying it for $1. thats too crazy to pass up. i am not tryna enrich anybody. i dont care if it is tuface, dbanj or some designers. i am keeping my money for me grin only thing i spend good money on is quality food. thats it. nothing else. i aint buying tuface another mansion.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by whizkidd: 8:03pm On Feb 19, 2011
the same people who are complaining about gate fee prices are the same ones who will run to go buy a pirated copy of your cd. so yes the artists should even charge more.how are they supposed to eat. so they wont sell cd's and then they would perform for peanuts you cant eat your cake and have it,
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Mobinga: 8:11pm On Feb 19, 2011
WTH??!
@buzugee those clothes are mahd cheap shocked shocked In Nigeria that'll be running to like 50k. . . . Shyte
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Nobody: 8:12pm On Feb 19, 2011
Hey! Buzugee, am jealousssss!!!
See your fine things.
You cannot get goods with such quality (even from Okrika shed) at those prices in Nigeria.
Abeg where those thrift stores dey for naija?
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 8:14pm On Feb 19, 2011
Mobinga:

WTH??!
@buzugee those clothes are mahd cheap shocked shocked In Nigeria that'll be running to like 50k. . . . Shyte
lmao i know right ? i bought them the equivalent of 100 naira each. thrift stores are stores were companys go to dump their unwanted goods for tax write offs. also some people who have stuff they dont like go and donate them their. so they have tonnes of good stuff. all dirt cheap. thats the only thing i will miss about america when i leave. their thrift stores are the best.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 8:17pm On Feb 19, 2011
fellis:

Hey! Buzugee, am jealousssss!!!
See your fine things.
You cannot get goods with such quality (even from Okrika shed) at those prices in Nigeria.
Abeg where those thrift stores dey for naija?
i will post more pics but i think i proved my point with the lil i posted. the point being you dont have to waste money to have a nice time. not sure if they get thrift stores for naija. they do have them in britain but the ones in britain are crap. they only have old peoples stuff. the ones in america are dumping grounds for companys who need a tax write off. hence lots of new things
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Sagamite(m): 8:36pm On Feb 19, 2011
whizkidd:

the same people who are complaining about gate fee prices are the same ones who will run to go buy a pirated copy of your cd. so yes the artists should even charge more.how are they supposed to eat. so they wont sell cd's and then they would perform for peanuts you cant eat your cake and have it,

Point!
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by omanzo02: 8:46pm On Feb 19, 2011
Its an absolute nonsense to pay such a crazy exorbitant price for a concert even if they were an international stars, I just bought a ticket to see Usher OMG tour in sportpaleis in Antwerp in march and it cost me only 58Euro's (N11,600) in comfortable seating stand, gifts inclusive and VIP tickets cost 162Euro (N32,400).

Nigerians organizers only knows how to rip people of their hard earned money. silly idiots.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by beevalley: 8:58pm On Feb 19, 2011
Firstly, The showbiz guyz need to chop, Buh must it be 25k to 500k?

C'mon u know u cannot pay that alone except if ur girlfriend is kinda unreasonable with ya. My gf will beat me if i pay such , lol

Anyways dey should calm down wif d shows or better release student tickets like 1k or 3k, I will go then.

Buh i rada buy more pirated cds if they keep up wif that mad!!!! fee.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Sagamite(m): 9:14pm On Feb 19, 2011
omanzo02:

Its an absolute nonsense to pay such a crazy exorbitant price for a concert even if they were an international stars, I just bought a ticket to see Usher OMG tour in sportpaleis in Antwerp in march and it cost me only 58Euro's (N11,600) in comfortable seating stand, gifts inclusive and VIP tickets cost 162Euro (N32,400).

Nigerians organizers only knows how to rip people of their hard earned money. silly idiots.

There are no gbo-gbo big boyz in Belgium na. They are slackers.  grin grin grin grin grin

The worst thing is that Usher will give a performance that will blow your mind, while the average Naija artist will come and give some unrehearsed, ad hoc performance worth £13.83 and think "At least I try na".  grin

beevalley:

Firstly,  The showbiz guyz need to chop,  Buh must it be 25k to 500k?

This is exactly my point.

Charge but no be charge wey pass the one wey people for West go even pay for Global superstar.

But if you get maga wey pay, charge wellywell.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by OAM4J: 9:28pm On Feb 19, 2011
Saga, how will those gbogbo big boys prove to their girlfriends dem betta pass you wey dey overseas if dem no pay more to see 2face than you'll pay to see Usher?

Next time you brag you are more intelligent, dem go remind you how much dem pay to see Dbanj compare to the chicken fee you paid to see Beyonce booty. grin grin
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Sagamite(m): 9:35pm On Feb 19, 2011
OAM4J:

Saga, how will those gbogbo big boys prove to their girlfriends dem betta pass you wey dey overseas if dem no pay more to see 2face than you'll pay to see Usher?

Next time you brag you are more intelligent, dem go remind you how much dem pay to see Dbanj compare to the chicken fee you paid to see Beyonce booty. grin grin

Goodluck to them and the girl dem dey impress. grin

It really irritates me when I see some Nigerians boast about how much they spent on something, like if it was an achievement, and then turn around to say something bought at a reasonable fee is "chicken" fee. grin
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Princek12(m): 9:35pm On Feb 19, 2011
Anytime you have a situation as this one, you blame the customers who pay these exorbitant gate fees, not the promoters. If people don't pay it, then promoters won't be charging it. But again, because of the historical lack of entertainment in Nigeria the average Nigerian resident is desperate for anything entertainment, so those promoters are taking advantage of that desperation.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Sagamite(m): 9:38pm On Feb 19, 2011
^^^ I don't think it is only desperation, it is also a demonstration of status symbol.  undecided

Gbo-gbo big boyz and Gbo-gbo big girlz. grin

It is only Nigeria I know where reeetards pay a fee to let their celebration event be in the glossy magazine (Ovation). It is the reverse in most other places.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by McCoy91(m): 9:56pm On Feb 19, 2011
Ok, first and foremost, not everyone is a VIP. Truth be told, virtually every 'big' show in Nigeria goes for around 5k. Must you pay 25k to feel like a VIP when you know you are not? The tables are mostly bought up by corporations who sponsor their staff there or big-shots who can very well pay up without complaining. Na wa oh. Nigerians and awuf mentality.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by MeGaStReEt: 10:01pm On Feb 19, 2011
Princek12:

Anytime you have a situation as this one, you blame the customers who pay these exorbitant gate fees, not the promoters. If people don't pay it, then promoters won't be charging it. But again, because of the historical lack of entertainment in Nigeria the average Nigerian resident is desperate for anything entertainment, so those promoters are taking advantage of that desperation.

word
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Princek12(m): 10:04pm On Feb 19, 2011
Sagamite:

^^^ I don't think it is only desperation, it is also a demonstration of status symbol.  undecided

Gbo-gbo big boyz and Gbo-gbo big girlz. grin

It is only Nigeria I know where reeetards pay a fee to let their celebration event be in the glossy magazine (Ovation). It is the reverse in most other places.

True talk. The sad thing is that I am sure many people who shell out N25K for these VIP tickets can barely afford it, and paying such amount will severely strain their finances. But just to be among the 'owambe' crowd,  some of these folks will pay such astronomical ticket fees. I guess they feel being among the owambe crown somehow makes them among the people with a higher status.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by cold(m): 10:17pm On Feb 19, 2011
If you don't patronise p*rostitutes they'll be out of business,simples
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by seedord247(m): 10:17pm On Feb 19, 2011
and the painful part is that, most of the student attending this shows never pay for their school fees.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by yme1(f): 10:23pm On Feb 19, 2011
Watch the way those not-so-smart individual's A.K.A Mugu ONE would gladly pay without objecting to nuffin undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Let's Pray For Our Leaders And Not Insult Them In 2013 / Who Is Diddy? What Do U Think Of Him? Who Doesnt Know Diddy? / Six Reasons Why You Must Be Time Conscious

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.