Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,802 members, 7,834,697 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For (2581 Views)

The Differences Between The North And South Of Nigeria / My Family Is Safer In Nigeria Than In South Africa - South African Businessman / North And South Of Nigeria Are Inseparable - Bakare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by wedapeople(f): 3:49am On Feb 19, 2011
Africa North is all lit up for freedom from tyranny. Africa South of Sahara Docile & Complacent.
What are you guys waiting for. Who do you think is going to make things better for you.
North Africans know that there is God and they are doing their  part. What's the deal with Black Africa.
ALL BARK AND NO BITES OR TOOTHLESS BULL DOGS.
NOW IS TIME TO DO SOMETHING WHILE THE WORLD IS PAYING ATTENTION OR FOREVER REMAIN FEARFUL AND DOCILE!!!
Time to make good use of that Facebook, Twitter, MySpace and Cell phone to get your mobilization on the way.
TODAY IS A GOOD DAY TO CHALLENGE THOSE RATS THAT RUN YOUR COUNTRY.
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by GAR3TH(m): 4:23am On Feb 19, 2011
[b]Whats happening in Northern Africa and the Middle East is completely different from Black Africa. In North Africa and the middle east you have dictators and monarchies, while the majority of Black African countries have democracy. People up north are fight for their rights, their natural rights and are trying to get rid of the tyranny from their dictators or monarchy and form a new government (most likely democracy). Many Black African countries already have democracy, freedom of speech, right to vote, Elections etc.

The problem with Black Africa is lack of leadership. Just look at King Mohammed VI of Morocco. His monarchy has ruled Morocco for 11 years now and has brought massive development to morocco. Even though he is a King/Dictator, morocco has seen massive improvements because what he has is leadership. on the other hand look at Ghana which has the best democracy in Africa. why aren't they the most develop African country, why hasn't their development surpassed Nigeria's, because they lack credible leadership.

There is a BIG difference between, "democracy" and "Credible leadership"[/b]
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by wedapeople(f): 10:10pm On Feb 19, 2011
Thanks for your enlightenment. The fact remains that bad governace has nothing to do with what type of goverment you have. Leadership is the only thing that matters. Theoritical Democracy is not worth a kobo if you are being robbed blind by your leadership. What the people in Africa North of Sahara are fighting against is Bad Leadership and you failed to see that. The title is all worthless if the service to the country is bad. Question for you , Does your country have 24 hours continuous electricity? If your answer is Yes at least to this one question, then your Democracy or whatever you call your goverment may be working. If No is your answer, then you should be fighting side by side with Africa north of Sahara for better leadership.
AFRICA SOUTH OF SAHARA SHOULD QUIT ATTACHING ANY VALUE TO TITLES AND PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO PERFORMANCE. AT TEH END OF THE DAY THAT'S ALL THAT COUNTS.
Most countries in Africa north of the Sahara are doing fairly better than most south of the Sahara that claim to have a democracy. TITLES ARE USELESS EXCUSE. FIGHT FOR A NEW AND BETTER LEADERSHIP AND STOP COMING UP WITH ACADEMIC EXCUSE FOR POOR PERFORMANCE.
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by Beaf: 10:38pm On Feb 19, 2011
^
What do you see Nigerians uniting around to carry out a citizens revolution? In the first instance, what even makes you and I Nigerians?
The above are pretty fundamental, because they strike at the very core of the architecture of the Nigerian state; as long as we do not have true federalism and a well thought out citizen - state contract, Nigerians can never unite around anything (outside football). So your dream remains just a dream.

I share your dream too, but to achieve it two foundations must fall in place:
[list]
[li]The cabal must be totally defeated[/li]
[li]A merit based political situation must be created where any Nigerian can aspire to lead the country[/li]
[/list]

As soon as the above two things are in place, the youth must begin to strategise and and accumulate organisational power to force through policies that will ensure true federalism and a genuine citizen-state contract that will define Nigerianness. The Arab countries you envy have the Mosque as a common focal point for organisation, whereas, over her, the youth in Akwa Ibom has virtually nothing in common with the youth from Sokoto; these cross-religious, cross-ethnic and cross-cultural links must be forged otherwise our dreams will remain mere dreams.

This is the time for us to harness energies and think strategically about the future we want and exactly how we hope to get there.
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by Nobody: 10:44pm On Feb 19, 2011
you remind me of fela. . . .black man no wan die
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by wedapeople(f): 2:07am On Feb 20, 2011
You know we have a job to do. Our bad leaders are waiting on us to act. They are ready to flee with all the money they have stolen. Now we need to get into our social networks and start talking with our friends. We should not be left behind. Can you at least talk with your friends. If you have friends in college campuses,  can you get them talking at least. The market women and men need to get involved. Have you read about the Aba Market Women  demonstration way before most of us were born. Yes they knew and still know how to come out in mass. I'll include some more info here on how everyone can help . Keep the conversation going. Africa south of Sahara needs a change now.
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by wedapeople(f): 2:30am On Feb 20, 2011
@ Beaf

I agree with you as a matter of fact. You are right I envy their courage to stand up to a bad governance. One thing I need to point out to you is that they have similar situations in their country as your country has. You see their are people who think things should be the way they are ( similar to the cabal you sited), but that notwithstanding, others who don't think so are taking the bad leadership down anyway.  In Libya and Bahrain  citizens are shooting at other citizens but the demand still continues. We have two choices in Africa south of the Sahara (1) get up and fight for good governance and (2) come up with all the reasons in the world to sit on our hands and allow bad things happen to us from our bad leadership. Reasons are excuses not to act. "Over Logic" will not get it done. Action(Non-violent resistance) will. Are you going to continue talking about it or are you going to join bring this to an end with non-violent  demand for better leadership? Aint' you tired of talking about this? You Bad Leadership is very afraid right now and they are very vulnerable. Yes it is the right time to shake them up and out. They see what is happening all over and they are getting ready to run. It's clear this time has come for the moral majority to stop putting up with blatant corruption and bad leadership. Enough is Enough. It's time to demand for a change and your Bad Leaders know that that time is here. ARE YOU GOING TO LET THEM STAY ANY LONGER KNOWING FULLY WELL THAT THEY ARE READY TO RUN AWAY NOW!!!
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by Nobody: 2:37am On Feb 20, 2011
Typical ''copy the white man syndrome'' even if he's in a worse state than you. Someone mentioned Morocco and Ghana. What is special about Morocco? You think you don't have poor people there?

Fact is black Africans are a lot freer than people in the Middle East.

Do you know what it means to live under a declared state of emergency for 30 years as in Egypt?

That country has 30,000 political prisoners, with thousands more simply ''disappeared''.

The fact that the people are celebrating to be under military rule, shows just how far away from representative govt they are.

Gadaffi has ruled for an incredible 42 years, employing massacre, torture, and other forms of mass persecution to maintain power. Freedom of speech or association is non existent. Secret police are everywhere, listening in on conversations, even in public markets, schools and restaurants.

It's ok to say ''at least they have constant light'', but of what use is constant light when the darkness of dictatorship and repression so thoroughly overshadows the beam?

Most of those Arab nations are even WORSE run than African nations, with astronomical levels of corruption. The only thing that makes them seem more prosperous is their relatively small populations and their oil.
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by wedapeople(f): 2:51am On Feb 20, 2011
Seriously though, Are you satisfied with the governance in your country? Not to get this wrong, this discourse is not for comparing Africa North/South on anything else but Governance. If your country is working in the way you think it should work, then ok for you. If not (@ at least 24 hrs electricity) then you should take a page from Africa North and do something about it instead of waiting for your grand children to perhaps take action. Cut the rhetorics and get to work for a better governance. Your countries wealth should be used building your country instead of sitting in one mans account in the Swiss Banks. If the current level of corruption in your country is good for you , then nobody needs you in nation building
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by Nobody: 3:31am On Feb 20, 2011
wedapeople said:

Seriously though, Are you satisfied with the governance in your country? Not to get this wrong, this discourse is not for comparing Africa North/South on anything else but Governance. If your country is working in the way you think it should work, then ok for you. If not (@ at least 24 hrs electricity) then you should take a page from Africa North and do something about it instead of waiting for your grand children to perhaps take action. Cut the rhetorics and get to work for a better  governance. Your countries wealth should be used building your country instead of sitting in one mans account in the Swiss Banks. If the current level of corruption in your country is good for you , then nobody needs you in nation building

The problem with your argument is that you use the Arab revolt as some sort of template for Africans to follow, when the circumstances south of the Sahara require an altogether different manner of response.

The fact is you simply will not get hundreds of thousands of people in an African state to demonstrate and risk their lives over issues like power shortages, or corruption etc. It simply does not work that way. The people in the middle east are rioting primarily because they live under incredibly brutal, repressive dictatorships that do not countenance the idea of elections, free media, rule of law, judiciary etc etc.

Thus all avenues for the populace to voice their grievances, and release their 'tension' are firmly shut.

The result? Powder kegs of simmering anger waiting to EXPLODE.

The fact is a man can endure crushing poverty and economic despondency, even bear it with stoic acceptance, but when his basic freedom to speak his mind, associate with his peers, or choose his leaders is denied him, he will GET REAL MAD EVENTUALLY, and risk all, even his life, to be free.

This is why what is happening in the Arab world will not be replicated in Africa.

There are other ways to fight for things like constant light and better infrastructure. Sure you can call a million man march and take to the streets, but what exactly will be your demand??

You cannot say ''make all the lights work now!'', as that takes years to fix.

You cannot say ''end corruption'' because corruption is not a light that can be switched on and off. Ending it would similarly be a gradual thing.

You cannot say, ''down with the government now'' because the govt was in fact duly elected according to the laws of the land, is not a dictatorship, and enjoys a measure of popular support.

So the situation in Africa is a lot more complex than merely looking at some Arab demonstrators and saying ''see?? we should be doing that in Nigeria!''
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by wedapeople(f): 5:06am On Feb 20, 2011
Buddy, You have just told me that you are very comfortable with what Africa South of Sahara looks like today. Let me reiterate my simple position again, this discourse is not to compare or give reasons and excuses for bad governance. We all know what the problem is and that's not the point here. The only thing common again I restate is "BAD GOVERNANCE". Duly elected government does not mean a darn thing. Bad Governance is bad any which way you cut it. Time is all that you have had up to now and time is what you are proposing here. Your Bad leadership loves your complacency of waiting. Do you think we have infinite life or are we a bunch of ball-less cowards afraid of seeking a better governance. What exactly would time do for you? Take care of your bad governance without any efforts. Do you remember or know what Nigeria used to look like 40 years ago. Let me remind you, it looked a lot better under colonial rule. What a shameful look it has now with its wonderful corrupt democracy. Is this what democracy is all about? Is it what you think time and more time should give us. How much more of this can up take and for how much more longer as you think time is what it would take . Indulge me for shake of argument here, how much more time are you supposing it would take to achieve a change and what change should we expect as this evolution comes around. Please help we see what you see because I cannot for Petes sake. Help me!!!
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by Kobojunkie: 9:44pm On Feb 20, 2011
Revolution comes in different forms and sizes. We definitely need one in Nigeria., democracy or none.
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by wedapeople(f): 10:26pm On Feb 20, 2011
@kobojunkie

I knew you will weigh in soon. Don't you think this is the time. The world around Africa South of Sahara is moving towards better governance but no one in Africa South of Sahara seems to be awake. Are they all sleep walking or what. What is it going to take to wake the men around this part of the world up? Could this the same reason why a lot of slaves were taken from West Africa? Are we that docile and complacent? This seems like what it is. This is not a recent disposition. It is started to look like a predisposition. We can't fight back -- is becoming obvious. Maybe our women could stand up and do a better job because the men don't seem to have the WILL to do it. THEY ARE ALL AFRAID!!!
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by Kobojunkie: 10:28pm On Feb 20, 2011
I was shocked to hear Djibouti moved too.

Well, we have been saying "It is time" since before 2007. What we know is the Nigerian mindset needs to be broken through to, in much the same way that the minds of Egyptians was. Honestly, I hope the wave reaches Nigeria before it it is too late.
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by wedapeople(f): 10:39pm On Feb 20, 2011
Great djabouti on the move. Great news. Time is here for good governance or no governance at all. Who needs useless leaders. Simple Acid Test - If your country cannot provide it's citizenry with simple amenities such as: clean water, 24hr electricity, good road way, security, you surely need to install people who can. These basic things are the simplest things even a monkey with half a brain can do with national revenue. You better of having your bad leadership trade places with monkies in your zoo to get things done. Enough of the soft talk and time for action if they have the balls
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by Sunofgod(m): 10:43pm On Feb 20, 2011
Crazy women (acting 'Tough' on NL)

What are you waiting for yourselves - Go and protest in the streets and stop venting your 'tame' anger here!
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by wedapeople(f): 11:47pm On Feb 20, 2011
@Sun of god

Sorry weak mind. The new world is not meant for weak men like you. Do something or get out of the way. Maybe the women will get it done finally while lazy fearful men like you sit on your behind and wish, hope and pray for a change. Maybe we need to run the country fro a change to do what the men have for more than 50 years failed to do.
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by Nobody: 12:18am On Feb 21, 2011
wedapeople said:

Buddy, You have just told me that you are very comfortable with what Africa South of Sahara looks like today. Let me reiterate my simple position again,  this discourse is not to compare or give reasons and excuses for bad governance. We all know what the problem is and that's not the point here. The only thing common again I restate is "BAD GOVERNANCE". Duly elected government does not mean a darn thing. Bad Governance is bad any which way you cut it.

What I can't stand is people who've never stepped out of Nigeria, the UK or US, mouthing off about ''Africa south of the Sahara'' as though it were your backyard. How many countries have you personally visited in Africa? What and what do you know about the progress achieved so far by say, Uganda, or Zambia, or Kenya, or Botswana, or Senegal? Have you studied any development statistics on these nations to know how they're progressing? Or is your diatribe based (as usual for your type) on the racist propaganda garbage on ''Africa'' you're fed daily on BBC and CNN?

What exactly would time do for you? Take care of your bad governance without any efforts. Do you remember or know what Nigeria used to look like 40 years ago. Let me remind you,  it looked a lot better under colonial rule.

THE HELL IT DID. Under colonial rule 95% of the population were ILLITERATE. (That figure down to 26% as of today) There were no universities. Most people walked around BAREFOOT. Roads were virtually non-existent apart from in GRAs and Ikoyi. Electricity was enjoyed by less than 0.5% of the population. Malnutrition was rife, infant mortality rates 3 times worse than today.

So please, respect yourself and do some proper research before coming here to display your slavish attitude to the British.

What a shameful look it has now with its wonderful corrupt democracy. Is this what democracy is all about? Is it what you think time and more time should give us. How much more of this can up take and for how much more longer as you think time is what it would take . Indulge me for shake of argument here,  how much more time are you supposing it would take to achieve a change and what change should we expect as this evolution comes around. Please help we see what you see because I cannot for Petes sake. Help me!!!

Nigeria is a developing country. Deal with it. In the UK just a hundred years ago, people slept 10 to a room in London, the roads were filled with beggars, filth, and garbage, and all this at a time they were building Buckingham palace and Wembley! Ever so slowly, they began to provide more services and poverty reduced - GRADUALLY OVER SEVERAL DECADES, NOT IN 2 MONTHS LIKE YOU'RE CALLING FOR IN AFRICA.

So there's nothing at all unique about what's going on in Africa. The continent is still developing. DEAL WITH IT.
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by wedapeople(f): 1:13am On Feb 21, 2011
Sure, you sound like one of those white paper political theoriticians you country has in abundance. They talk all day and do nothing to make things happen. People like you sit back and compare your country with others that are more developed and will ever be more developed than you because you don't believe in leading. You come across as an addicted follower who would forever measure your progress against others ahead of you. Remember , we are told that civilization started in Africa. Have you ever stopped to ask the question, Why is Africa so behind today? Do you see where I'm coming from. You started it and dropped the ball. Why was that? Can you come up with an answer? Yep I think I do see same syndrome riding in people that justify laziness and courage to stand their ground. My friend that's exactly what it is. You can hide under stone but the fact is the fact. How come Nigeria was colonized in the first place. Can you come up with a snazzy little reason for letting other men kick your behind. It is what it is and our opponents know that, but unfortunately people like you come up with wimsy reasons for being enslaved by other men. Africa need to resolve to get rid of leadership that won't allow them regain her rightful place in human history. Old stuff is old stuff. The glory of antiquity is long gone. We are here today and we are plagued by Bad Leadership. To get ahead and lead again Africa should get rid of her current leaders. Would seem you are one of them.
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by Nobody: 1:20am On Feb 21, 2011
wedapeople said:

Sure, you sound like one of those white paper political theoriticians you country has in abundance. They talk all day and do nothing to make things happen. People like you sit back and compare your country with others that are more developed and will ever be more developed than you because you don't believe in leading. You come across as an addicted follower who would forever measure your progress against others ahead of you. Remember , we are told that civilization started in Africa. Have you ever stopped to ask the question, Why is Africa so behind today? Do you see where I'm coming from. You started it and dropped the ball. Why was that? Can you come up with an answer? Yep I think I do see same syndrome riding in people that justify  laziness and courage to stand their ground.   My friend that's exactly what it is. You can hide under stone but the fact is the fact. How come Nigeria was colonized in the first place. Can you come up with a snazzy little reason for letting other men kick your behind. It is what it is and our opponents know that, but unfortunately people like you come up  with wimsy reasons for being enslaved by other men. Africa need to resolve to get rid of leadership that won't allow them regain her rightful place in human history. Old stuff is old stuff. The glory of antiquity is long gone. We are here today and we are plagued by Bad Leadership. To get ahead and lead again Africa should get rid of her current leaders. Would seem you are one of them.

story story.

I've just THRASHED YOU on the ''points'' you attempted to make, and rather than take your beating with dignity, you go off on this wild tangent encompassing everything from ''human history'' to colonialism and slave trade!
If you want to start a thread on any of those issues, kindly do so and we can tackle that on a separate thread. We are discussing a specific issue which you raised here - ie North Africa and why black Africans are not copying them by demonstrating in their millions for regime change in their respective nations.
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by wedapeople(f): 1:43am On Feb 21, 2011
Sorry Buddy. Here's where we differ completely. I'm here for new Leadership in Africa and not here to talk and debate with people like you who would rather talk than take actions. I believe your home in your country is behind a fence. If your country is doing great, why is that. How's the basic amenities that spur growth doing in your country. You take pride in what you call rhetorical thrashing and that's all you are probably good at. I know for a fact that your country can easily be colonized again today if any country out there wanted and men like you will be dragged all over that place because you will crumble fast. Think about that. Do you think a lot of hyperbolic debate here rather than action changes anything. Believe it or not things are on the way for a change with or without any one of you. The truth is you better not stand in the way of progress. It's just like a fully loaded freight train.
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by Nobody: 2:21am On Feb 21, 2011
wedapeople said:

Sorry Buddy. Here's where we differ completely. I'm here  for  new Leadership in Africa and not here to talk and debate with people like you who would rather talk than take actions.

New leadership in Africa? Tell me, do you understand the reason we have THIS current crop of ''bad'' leaders in ''Africa'' (Africa is in quotes since to you it is a single country).

I believe your home in your country is behind a fence. If your country is doing great, why is that.

You can pick almost ANY reason to say a chosen country is ''bad''.

For instance I could say to an American: ''thousands of people are murdered in your cities every year. If your country is doing great why is that?'' or ''Millions of people in your country own guns. If your country is doing great why is that?''

I know for a fact that your country can easily be colonized again today if any country out there wanted and men like you will be dragged all over that place because you will crumble fast. Think about that.

Save your breath. No one is about to overtly ''colonize'' Nigeria. What we should be concerned about is subtle  economic exploitation by imperial powers.

Do you think a lot of hyperbolic debate here rather than action changes anything. Believe it or not things are on the way for a change with or without any one of you. The truth is you better not stand in the way of progress. It's just like a fully loaded freight train.

You have these vague lofty ideals that sound a lot like youthful exuberance. But you need to understand that the problems you identify are not simply a problem of ''bad leadership''.

Take Nigeria for instance. If a person becomes a state governor or federal minister, his family, friends, townsfolk etc all start to jubilate. They pay congratulatory visits. Post congratulatory messages in newspapers, tv etc etc.

They believe their turn has come to chop.

When this guy takes office, he'd better do what he can to ''justify'' his new position by way of ''dividends'' for the aforementioned, or risk ridicule and ostracization. Nobody likes ridicule, shame, or ostracization by his fellows.

So the problem is not just about ''changing our leaders''. Change and replace with WHOM? In Nigeria today, even a poor gateman (who represents the downtrodden you're fighting for) will scorn you if you've held high office but are seen driving a 'small car'. Or (holy of holies) seen walking or catching a bus.

He'll wonder aloud what sort of useless human being you are.

So who are you going to replace the ''bad leaders'' with in your revolution?

This is why I say the problem is far more complex than you can even begin to imagine. Why I am optimistic is that we are seeing INCREMENTAL progress in Africa. The statistics show quite clearly that the number of wars has reduced since the 80s and 90s, meaning greater stability and growth. Many more economies are growing faster than at anytime since independence. We simply need to stay the course, and in the next few decades, should see real improvements throughout the continent. Calling for revolution, to replace the present set of nearly full pockets with a fresh set of empty pockets waiting to be filled, is a step in the wrong direction.

Thanks.
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by Beaf: 2:30am On Feb 21, 2011
wedapeople:

Sorry Buddy. Here's where we differ completely. I'm here for new Leadership in Africa and not here to talk and debate with people like you who would rather talk than take actions. I believe your home in your country is behind a fence. If your country is doing great, why is that. How's the basic amenities that spur growth doing in your country. You take pride in what you call rhetorical thrashing and that's all you are probably good at. I know for a fact that your country can easily be colonized again today if any country out there wanted and men like you will be dragged all over that place because you will crumble fast. Think about that. Do you think a lot of hyperbolic debate here rather than action changes anything. Believe it or not things are on the way for a change with or without any one of you. The truth is you better not stand in the way of progress. It's just like a fully loaded freight train.

Why do you think there have been very few responses to your article after so many days?
A lot of the time, I preach about Nigeria's political architecture. I do so from a deep understanding of how the country (you could say, mere piece of land) functions. Until you grasp those things and tailor your plans accordingly, you will always end up screaming in the wind. There is nothing currently binding Nigerians in such a way that they will demonstrate to the death for national rebirth, thats just a wild dream. Any steps toward rebirth must be ordered, the chasms across the country must first be bridged, so that a Zamfara man has powerful bonds that are natural with a Bayelsa man.
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by Nobody: 2:40am On Feb 21, 2011
Beaf said:

Any steps toward rebirth must be ordered, the chasms across the country must first be bridged, so that a Zamfara man has powerful bonds that are natural with a Bayelsa man.

Absolutely. I would even take that to encompass all of black Africa. Look, the Arab world has a common language and religion which serve as a natural bonding factor. Europe has a common religion. Asia has Confucianism. Africa needs a whole new ideology that binds the people, whatever part of the continent they dwell. Pan Africanists need to evolve, name, and promote a powerful ideology that will serve as such a binding element.
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by ono(m): 3:03am On Feb 21, 2011
Thanks Beaf and ROSSIKE.

I just wonder when cultural and ethnic divide will no longer be a yardstick for choosing leaders, determining who gets what etc etc and merit, equity, justice and fairness will be the major determinant of progress and development in every spheres of life. Can this happen in our lifetime?
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by wedapeople(f): 4:24am On Feb 21, 2011
Thanks Pal. I didn't expect a large response or any response for that matter. That I have you and the others talking now that's makes a world of a difference. Great!! Now to the day when we will all hug and sing kumbaya, that day will not come. But the job of changing the country's leadership must be done . The Leadership knows their days are numbered and they are ready to go but we must ask for it. Talking to the wind? Not sure about that. Remember last year "Enough is Enough" organization had a shutdown demonstration at Abuja. This was before Tunisia. It did not take all Nigerians coming together as it  didn't take all Northern Africans participating. All it takes is the few and ready getting the work started and an effective plan for continuity. The keyword here is "Continuity". Yes the fight back will come  as a rebuff but persistent WILL of the people will always prevail. Look at what is going on now. It will spread to all four corners of this planet where there is Bad Governance. It is just the time. As we know, there's a time for everything and the time has come that moral majority is tired of being cheated by a handful of greedy people. That's what we see happening across the globe. Tomorrow some other Bad Government will erupt and that's what's going on. Is it a wise thing to hop on the universal sentiment and take care of your country now? I know that's a thought and action worth pursuing. Should I wait for someone else to get going ? No I need to make the decision for myself before I expect anyone else to do same and that is why my expectation is so small and perhaps shallow. Charity begins at home we agree. I know you agree with me that we need a change but I also know that you are afraid of the work ahead to bring it to a fruition. You shouldn't. All you need to do is make your individual decision to help bring about change and allow orders to do same. That way we are self convince on what we are fighting for and thus achieve the the persistent solidarity needed for the long haul. Buddy are you with me. Are you at least going to make your own decision. That will make two , then we can together go for the third, fourth and the geo-progression. ARE YOU IN?
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by wedapeople(f): 4:45am On Feb 21, 2011
Yes it would happen if we stop coming up with reason why it won't. Can each and every one of you come with with one reason why it should happen now? To maintain a balance, for every reason for it not happening one should come up with a reason why it should. I believe that's the reason we should be focusing on right this moment. I am glad we all agree that we need a change in governance. The question now is how do we get it. The answer is by making our individual decision to get involved. It has already started. Look back from last year. People waiting feverishly for the green light to move things forward. What are we afraid of. Soldiers and police shooting at us. Isn't these same Nigerians that are suffering like the rest of us. Yes some may be on the other side but would be just for a short while until we show them that we are not going away. They know what is happening and they are all praying for the day of better governance. How long do you think that it will take for them to join the movement. If you were one of them , how long would it take you. We show them the change is here, then they will not be afraid to join the rank and file to move ahead. That's what it will take. Language, religion and all the sort is another slew of reasons not to act. STOP COMING UP WITH REASONS AND PROBLEM AND COME FORTH WITH ACTION PLAN. NOW IS THE TIME FOR ACTION.
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by Beaf: 4:52am On Feb 21, 2011
wedapeople:

Thanks Pal. I didn't expect a large response or any response for that matter. That I have you and the others talking now that's makes a world of a difference. Great!! Now to the day when we will all hug and sing kumbaya, that day will not come. But the job of changing the country's leadership must be done . The Leadership knows their days are numbered and they are ready to go but we must ask for it. Talking to the wind? Not sure about that. Remember last year "Enough is Enough" organization had a shutdown demonstration at Abuja. This was before Tunisia. It did not take all Nigerians coming together as it  didn't take all Northern Africans participating. All it takes is the few and ready getting the work started and an effective plan for continuity. The keyword here is "Continuity". Yes the fight back will come  as a rebuff but persistent WILL of the people will always prevail. Look at what is going on now. It will spread to all four corners of this planet where there is Bad Governance. It is just the time. As we know, there's a time for everything and the time has come that moral majority is tired of being cheated by a handful of greedy people. That's what we see happening across the globe. Tomorrow some other Bad Government will erupt and that's what's going on. Is it a wise thing to hop on the universal sentiment and take care of your country now? I know that's a thought and action worth pursuing. Should I wait for someone else to get going ? No I need to make the decision for myself before I expect anyone else to do same and that is why my expectation is so small and perhaps shallow. Charity begins at home we agree. I know you agree with me that we need a change but I also know that you are afraid of the work ahead to bring it to a fruition. You shouldn't. All you need to do is make your individual decision to help bring about change and allow orders to do same. That way we are self convince on what we are fighting for and thus achieve the the persistent solidarity needed for the long haul. Buddy are you with me. Are you at least going to make your own decision. That will make two , then we can together go for the third, fourth and the geo-progression. ARE YOU IN?

You certainly don't have me talking. I am simply advising.

Some of us have been at gunpoint for the sake of the country several times over and we know that Nigeria must first be re-ordered from the ground up before any street power can become potent. I was a young adult when we stopped tanks trundling down Ikorodu Road from Ikeja military cantonement, with nothing but raw courage and unadulterated determination. People died.
As a student leader, I led many demo's and organised nuff riots, so please keep the "we are afraid" stuff. Our unifying factor at the time was the seething countrywide hatred for IBB, topped by MKO's annulled election.

Put bluntly, your dream is a pie in the sky and a waste of time. Everything needs a plan and a unifying fulcrum. You have none.
Channel your zeal into learning about the country, many things will make your eyes pop. Channel your zeal, but keep it burning brightly so that it can become the right weapon in a place and at a time of your choosing, and according to well considered strategy.
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by asha80(m): 5:08am On Feb 21, 2011
Beaf:

You certainly don't have me talking. I am simply advising.

Some of us have been at gunpoint for the sake of the country several times over and we know that Nigeria must first be re-ordered from the ground up before any street power can become potent. I was a young adult when we stopped tanks trundling down Ikorodu Road from Ikeja military cantonement, with nothing but raw courage and unadulterated determination. People died.
As a student leader, I led many demo's and organised nuff riots, so please keep the "we are afraid" stuff. Our unifying factor at the time was the seething countrywide hatred for IBB, topped by MKO's annulled election.

Put bluntly, your dream is a pie in the sky and a waste of time.
Everything needs a plan and a unifying fulcrum. You have none.
Channel your zeal into learning about the country, many things will make your eyes pop. Channel your zeal, but keep it burning brightly so that it can become the right weapon in a place and at a time of your choosing, and according to well considered strategy.

wicked grin
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by wedapeople(f): 5:11am On Feb 21, 2011
Good buddy. At least you gave a shot at some point in time. I applaud  for that. Don't have you talking ,  that's fine too. Impossible,  that's almost impossible to image that let alone  say it. All things are possible. The question though is - If you don't believe in anything badly to die for it, of what purpose is your life? You focused your dislike on individuals  and not results and that's why you don't seem to see a galvanizing anchor. Many is us black focus too much on personality as opposed to results. Can you now see why your zeal for change didn't have a lot of petrol to run on.  Understand clearly what you are asking for and the reasons why it should be. Then if it is functionality and results you will achieve mass appeal. If it is focused on attacking your uncle, I wouldn't expect you to get involved. Can you see the difference. PLEASE THINK IT THROUGH. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY PARTICULAR PERSON OR PERSONS. IT HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH PRODUCTIVITY. BUSINESSES FIRE PEOPLE WHO DON'T PRODUCE. OUR LEADERSHIP IS SERVING US AND THEIR PRODUCTIVITY IS BAD. SO THEY MUST BE FIRED!!! THAT'S THE GALVANIZING POINT.
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by Kilode1: 5:19am On Feb 21, 2011
Beaf:
Any steps toward rebirth must be ordered, the chasms across the country must first be bridged, so that a Zamfara man has powerful bonds that are natural with a Bayelsa man.

+1

ROSSIKE:

Absolutely. I would even take that to encompass all of black Africa. Look, the Arab world has a common language and religion which serve as a natural bonding factor. Europe has a common religion. Asia has Confucianism. Africa needs a whole new ideology that binds the people, whatever part of the continent they dwell. Pan Africanists need to evolve, name, and promote a powerful ideology that will serve as such a binding element.

+1

There is hope for my people afterall. . .
Re: Africa South Of The Sahara: What Are You Waiting For by wedapeople(f): 5:53am On Feb 21, 2011
The Hope is here because the HOPE IS YOU. Pan African Ideology should not be any different from anyone else's. Keep it simple and all and sundry can understand it. IF THE SERVICE TO THE COUNTRY IS BAD, THEN THE LEADERSHIP MUST GO. THAT SHOULD BE THE IDEOLOGY. ANYONE GOING INTO LEADERSHIP MUST KNOW THAT THE PEOPLE WILL NOT TOLERATE GREEDY SLACKERS AND EMBEZLLERS.
LET ME REITERATE HERE---- THIS IDEOLOGY IS NOT ON PERSONALITY, IT IS STRICTLY ON PRODUCTIVITY PERIOD. IF WE SACK A FEW, OTHERS WILL PAY ATTENTION. OTHER COUNTRIES DO IT. IT'S CALLED RECALL OR IMPEACHMENT. WHICHEVER WAY WE DO IT, GET THEM OUT OF SERVICE.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CBN To Reintroduce Fee On Remote-on-us ATM Withdrawal / Breaking: At last GEJ Bows to OBJ, Seeks Help To Tackle Boko Haram Insurgency / Attack On PDP Campaign Vehicles At Bauchi Road, Jos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.