Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,452 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:52 AM

Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) (36675 Views)

Lagos (eko) Who Owns It? / Would You Rather Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child / On Our Way To Inter-tribal Wedlock (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by nossycheek(f): 4:07pm On Jun 19, 2007
Let us examine this in the context of the following cultures;

Igbo
Yoruba
Hausa
Urhobo
Ibibio
etc

Pls not that we are only examining the cultural aspect and not anything religious.

3 Likes

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Ikomi(m): 4:38pm On Jun 19, 2007
I think its a Nigerian thing that the child goes to whoever can take care of the baby, and most times its the girl that suffers because its only her family that will never want to see there daughter and granchild in ruins, so u see where my signature comes from.

4 Likes

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by nossycheek(f): 2:31pm On Dec 03, 2007
In Igbo culture, a child born out of wedlock belongs to the girl's family and whoever marries her later, may have the child if he desires, otherwise, he/she remains with his/her mother's family.

But in Urhobo and Yoruba, the child belongs to the man whether married or not.

I hope I am correct

32 Likes

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by laudate: 6:59pm On Dec 03, 2007
nossycheek:

In Igbo culture, a child born out of wedlock belongs to the girl's family and whoever marries her later, may have the child if he desires, otherwise, he/she remains with his/her mother's family.

But in Urhobo and Yoruba, the child belongs to the man whether married or not.

I hope I am correct

Hmmn. . . . .in Edo, and Yoruba, the child belongs to the man, only if he accepts paternity of the child.

In parts of the Niger-Delta e.g. among the Nembe, the child belongs to the woman's family as a number of villages in that area are matrilineal.

Among some Northern tribes, the child belongs to the man's family if he declares himself to be the father.

3 Likes

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by presido1: 7:25pm On Dec 03, 2007
Yea in igbo land the woman takes care of the baby but when the baby grows up he/she will choose were he belongs. If the its a he definitely he will choose to follow his father cos the insult he will face from his mother's side will be too much. But gyls always stick to their mother.
So it depends on the gender.

11 Likes

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Etin(f): 11:29am On Dec 05, 2007
In Edo (Bini) the child only belongs to a man if he pays the bride price otherwise the child belongs to the girls family

PS: there are several tribes within the Edo group and each culture may be different.
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by nossycheek(f): 3:57pm On Dec 06, 2007
Etin:

In Edo (Bini) the child only belongs to a man if he pays the bride price otherwise the child belongs to the girls family

Exactly what is practiced in Igbo land. But the child may grow up and go to his/her father who gains from the mother's sufferings.
If I am in such a situation, i will tell the child that the father died in an accident and I can't locate his family members neither do I
know his village

13 Likes

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Ndipe(m): 5:21am On Jan 23, 2009
In the Ibibio culture, the man can claim the child, only if he pays a collosal fine to the girl's family. But times have changed, fathers, sometimes might be reluctant to carry on the responsibility in these hard times, while harboring fears that the child, would eventually seek out their father. But, I support that tradition.

2 Likes

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by anonymous6(f): 9:49pm On Jul 15, 2014
In Nigeria, If the father in general accepts that he is the father then both the parents in a way owns the child even if the mother will take more of the burden of the child or children. However if the father doesn't accept he is the father, then that kid will be labeled as a bastard child and the mothers family will take the brunt of the responsibility.

In America majority of the time the mother feels the brunt of it unless she tracks down the father, gets a paternity test and involves the law so he pays child support

2 Likes

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by tonychristopher: 1:06am On Jul 17, 2014
Whose surname does the child bear
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by tonychristopher: 1:09am On Jul 17, 2014
nossycheek:

Exactly what is practiced in Igbo land. But the child may grow up and go to his/her father who gains from the mother's sufferings.
If I am in such a situation, i will tell the child that the father died in an accident and I can't locate his family members neither do I
know his village

That is bad....a child has the right to know his father. In Igbo land its the man owns the child bride price or not Igbo land is patrilineal society and a child bears the father's name u know

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by odumchi: 5:44am On Jul 17, 2014
tonychristopher:

That is bad....a child has the right to know his father. In Igbo land its the man owns the child bride price or not Igbo land is patrilineal society and a child bears the father's name u know

Hmmm. I disagree. In Igboland (well, in my community at least), if a woman bears a child out of wedlock, the child would be seen as a descendant of its grandfather (and not the father) and would answer the grandfather's name, almost as if its biological father never existed. It's this same concept that gave birth to the old practice of fathers without male children permitting their daughters to be impregnated by a man out of wedlock, so as to take the [male] child as their own son.

10 Likes

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by fingard02k(m): 10:59pm On Jul 18, 2014
in Igboland the woman/mother owns the baby and that child will bear his/her mum's surname.

The man can only claim the child if he paid the bride price

7 Likes

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Akshow: 7:27am On Jul 19, 2014
In yoruba culture if the man claims responsibility then he is d father and owns d child. It is a big stgma for a child not to be claimed by any man in yorubaland

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by meditate(m): 7:28am On Jul 19, 2014
Following
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Nobody: 7:29am On Jul 19, 2014
I think the child should go to the girls family until the man lays a claim on the woman by paying her bride prize. How man go just enter person house, give im daughter belle, collect the pikin clean mouth waka, na only him waka come?

18 Likes

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by PastorOluT(m): 7:29am On Jul 19, 2014
In yoruba the child belongs to the man n the child would be stigmatized "omo ale" as long as it remains with the mother. Though it will remain with the mother till the father will come to claim paternity, else the stigma remain as long.

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Nobody: 7:33am On Jul 19, 2014
Lawyers be like- Edet v Essien.

As for me, I know a certain Nigerian musician is responsible.
#shhhh I didnt say nothing o...

#NothingDeyHappen

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Smartsyn(m): 7:35am On Jul 19, 2014
its d parents of the girl..

God, after 7 years, this thread made frontpage.

So shall everything that has been delayed and forgotten in your life, resurface for your good and make headline in your life IJN...

32 Likes

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Oklander: 7:36am On Jul 19, 2014
The person wey born the child out of wedlock...
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by searay(m): 7:37am On Jul 19, 2014
Ndipe: In the Ibibio culture, the man can claim the child, only if he pays a collosal fine to the girl's family. But times have changed, fathers, sometimes might be reluctant to carry on the responsibility in these hard times, while harboring fears that the child, would eventually seek out their father. But, I support that tradition.
+ Annang
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Suarezilla(m): 7:39am On Jul 19, 2014
I don't know about anyother tribe but in Ibo land the child belongs to the Family of the woman
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by priscaoge(f): 7:39am On Jul 19, 2014
In Igbo land,Once no bride price was paid, d lady's family owns d child!

3 Likes

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Dygeasy(m): 7:42am On Jul 19, 2014
I don't care about all these traditional _bullshit.

If I give girl belle now con run comot. Some years later I con carry my two legs waka come say na me get pikin because I be Yoruba man, if dem carry hot water or acid pour for my blockus dem get fault?

Facts should be faced and not some traditional nonsense.

7 Likes

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by lilmax(m): 7:45am On Jul 19, 2014
I dont know
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by enomakos(m): 7:47am On Jul 19, 2014
[quote

author=Etin]In Edo (Bini) the child only belongs to a man if he pays
the bride price otherwise the child belongs to the girls family

PS: there are several tribes within the Edo group and each culture may
be different.[/quote] my dear i disagree i am a bini man and the child
belong to the father whether he hads paid the bride price or
not,afterall the child bear his father surname not the mother abi?

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by ak4God(m): 7:48am On Jul 19, 2014
No matter where you come from,the child belongs to the father.
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by PrincessB1(f): 7:48am On Jul 19, 2014
The lady, except the man claims the responsibility
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by enomakos(m): 7:49am On Jul 19, 2014
[quote
author=nossycheek]

Exactly what is practiced in Igbo land. But the child may grow up and go
to his/her father who gains from the mother's sufferings.
If I am in such a situation, i will tell the child that the father died
in an accident and I can't locate his family members neither do I
know his village[/quote]kai u wicked oo

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by zeelo2014: 7:49am On Jul 19, 2014
The father of the woman.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive / Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria / Ooni Of Ife Visits Oldest African Temple In Brazil Which Used To Be A Church.pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.