Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,147 members, 7,815,017 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:52 AM

Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) (36748 Views)

Lagos (eko) Who Owns It? / Would You Rather Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child / On Our Way To Inter-tribal Wedlock (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by iceberylin(m): 7:51am On Jul 19, 2014
The Mom
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by NickiRoman: 7:52am On Jul 19, 2014
This thread was created in 2007 and it made front page on july 19 2014...Hmmmmn
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by enomakos(m): 7:53am On Jul 19, 2014
tonychristopher: Whose surname does the child bear
abeg ask them oo
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by enomakos(m): 7:57am On Jul 19, 2014
priscaoge: In Igbo land,Once no bride price was paid, d lady's family owns d child!
that make the child a bastard
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Nobody: 7:59am On Jul 19, 2014
nossycheek:

Exactly what is practiced in Igbo land. But the child may grow up and go to his/her father who gains from the mother's sufferings.
If I am in such a situation, i will tell the child that the father died in an accident and I can't locate his family members neither do I
know his village
. Infact dis is a gud option, ill also tell him dat he was in a plane crash sef so no idea were he s buried.

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by priscaoge(f): 8:02am On Jul 19, 2014
enomakos: that make the child a bastard
No u are wrong, any child born out of wedlock is a bastard! Whether d child is with d mother or d father,once no bride price is paid before d child was born,that child automatically a bastard....You dig?

2 Likes

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by priscaoge(f): 8:03am On Jul 19, 2014
NickiRoman: This thread was created in 2007 and it made front page on july 19 2014...Hmmmmn
The MODs just came back from vacationgringringrin

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Asiwaju9ja(m): 8:05am On Jul 19, 2014
TheLeader: Lawyers be like- Edet v Essien.

As for me, I know a certain Nigerian musician is responsible.
#shhhh I didnt say nothing o...

#NothingDeyHappen

Ehen! Dem born that year? I remember say the woman come die. The pikin go done big o!. Guys and girls make una no dey agree to abortions again. #ClassicGossip
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Awoofawo(m): 8:08am On Jul 19, 2014
NickiRoman: This thread was created in 2007 and it made front page on july 19 2014...Hmmmmn

Seven years dead-thread walking on frontpage!!! coolgrin

Surulere o!

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Asiwaju9ja(m): 8:10am On Jul 19, 2014
priscaoge:
No u are wrong, any child born out of wedlock is a bastard! Whether d child is with d mother or d father,once no bride price is paid before d child was born,that child automatically a bastard....You dig?

Bastard is an English word. In the Nigerian constitution there is nothing like an illegitimate child(bastard) God knows how many of such (bastards) you have earned ur education,daily bread and even husband/boyfriend(if any) from? Some of your presidents might have been.
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by priscaoge(f): 8:12am On Jul 19, 2014
Asiwaju9ja:

Bastard is an English word. In the Nigerian constitution there is nothing like and illegitimate child(bastard) God knows how many of such (bastards) you have earned ur education,daily bread and even wife(if any) from? Some of your presidents might have been. Ode!
U don't have to insult me to make ur silly point! Get a life n be matured a bit. #Okpoko

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Asiwaju9ja(m): 8:14am On Jul 19, 2014
priscaoge:
U don't have to insult me to make ur silly point! Get a life n be matured a bit. #Okpoko

I no blame you na abortion make you dey talk anyhow abi? Hypocrite.
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by NickiRoman: 8:18am On Jul 19, 2014
priscaoge:
The MODs just came back from vacationgringringrin
.Seven Years Vacation grin
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Nobody: 8:19am On Jul 19, 2014
The culture of the said mother always prevails in igbo land.
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Awoofawo(m): 8:21am On Jul 19, 2014
Asiwaju9ja:

Bastard is an English word. In the Nigerian constitution there is nothing like an illegitimate child(bastard) God knows how many of such (bastards) you have earned ur education,daily bread and even husband/boyfriend(if any) from? Some of your presidents might have been.

Please what is the meaning of "Omo Ale"and would you feel cool about being called so? cool
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by enomakos(m): 8:22am On Jul 19, 2014
[quote
author=priscaoge]
No u are wrong, any child born out of wedlock is a bastard! Whether d
child is with d mother or d father,once no bride price is paid before d
child was born,that child automatically a bastard....You dig? [/quote] ok i hear u,my lady
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Asiwaju9ja(m): 8:28am On Jul 19, 2014
Awoofawo:

Please what is the meaning of "Omo Ale"and would you feel cool about being called so? cool

Remember, no one choose to be "omo ale" and also remember "Omo ales" are more in yoruba land than any tribal area in naija(my opinion) So because they are "omo ales" we should deny them of their constitutional rights through no fault of theirs. I am just open minded on the issue. Becos he/she is an omo ale does not mean you and I are better than them period.
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Generalkorex(m): 8:37am On Jul 19, 2014
In yorubaland.
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by tonychristopher: 8:38am On Jul 19, 2014
Vig86: The culture of the said mother always prevails in igbo land.

Why do we argue front and back .the owner if the child is the owner of the surname he bears owns the child automatically

Those saying in Igbo land should know that I am a pure anambra man born in into and married a delta Igbo lady so I am versed here

Igbos are patrineral people they inherit from fathers and a child in mums place will someday go to his father

If the child doesn't his umu Anna will remind him where he comes from and who he is

That's the beauty of Igbo land and there is no bastard in Igbo culture what we have is Nwa no na MBA

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Nobody: 8:43am On Jul 19, 2014
nossycheek: In Igbo culture, a child born out of wedlock belongs to the girl's family and whoever marries her later, may have the child if he desires, otherwise, he/she remains with his/her mother's family.

But in Urhobo and Yoruba, the child belongs to the man whether married or not.

I hope I am correct

Let me ask Google.

Ba3 down.

Brb...
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Bbklopsy: 8:46am On Jul 19, 2014
nossycheek:

Exactly what is practiced in Igbo land. But the child may grow up and go to his/her father who gains from the mother's sufferings.
If I am in such a situation, i will tell the child that the father died in an accident and I can't locate his family members neither do I
know his village
Dnt even imagine such n pray he s nt a male cos d child ll jst seize ur peace
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Lucasbalo(m): 9:06am On Jul 19, 2014
In US , the child belongs to the mother. Bastard is an anormally, no child is a bastard. How do you stigmatize an innocent child by calling him or her bastard ?. You do not visit the inequities of a parent on an innocent child. It's only African culture that a child is referred to as a bastard. What an antiquated way of thinking.

3 Likes

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Awoofawo(m): 9:13am On Jul 19, 2014
Asiwaju9ja:

Remember, no one choose to be "omo ale" and also remember "Omo ales" are more in yoruba land than any tribal area in naija(my opinion) So because they are "omo ales" we should deny them of their constitutional rights through no fault of theirs. I am just open minded on the issue. Becos he/she is an omo ale does not mean you and I are better than them period.

Thanks for giving a sensible response to my quiz! I agreed with you all in all; however, being call Omo ale is not something anyone wish for!

Thou it is not specifically mention in Nigeria constitution but the society and culture in which we exist do!

As for constitutional right everyone is entitle it, to extend granted by the law; being a bastard or not! cool

Me for one would not want anyone to address as bastard, regardless whether am born a bastard or not...
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Abiagirl777(f): 9:18am On Jul 19, 2014
enomakos: abeg ask them oo

the child bears de name of the grand father .ie,the mother's family name
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by ayobase(m): 9:22am On Jul 19, 2014
who own the child no go dey o uf the father na ine better wealthy and famous guy. the child sef go bear the father's name even if the papa no show concern sef......na joke I dey, but there is iota of truth.

what about people from Benue state. whats the status of ownership and possession there? 2face as a casw study..

guys, pls u cant afford to be nobody o. 2face na our mates o and those children dey bear idibia despite the odds.

as for igbo, the guy might be b unlucky if the girl's family is seeking and desperatly in need of male child.
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by crusader01(m): 9:24am On Jul 19, 2014
nossycheek:

know his village
If you do that,and the child a later meet his father you will never be forgiven. You may succeed in burying the truth for awhile but one day it will resurface.
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Bbklopsy: 9:25am On Jul 19, 2014
rozzay: . Infact dis is a gud option, ill also tell him dat he was in a plane crash sef so no idea were he s buried.
u can only undastnd best wen he s grown up
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by nonjebose(m): 9:31am On Jul 19, 2014
Jamean: First of all let's get it clear that ownership differs from possession. Any child born is owned by both parents irrespective of the circumstances at the time of birth. Thereafter, either of them can have possession of the child as they resolve.

For the Urhobo tribe, the child will bear the father's surname whether married/unmarried or assumes responsibility/not, otherwise the child will be called a bastard. We nor dey claim pikin except for some overdo families.

Via ProudUvwieChick
Urhobo man no dey dull na.

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by offshoreking: 9:34am On Jul 19, 2014
nossycheek: In Igbo culture, a child born out of wedlock belongs to the girl's family and whoever marries her later, may have the child if he desires, otherwise, he/she remains with his/her mother's family.

But in Urhobo and Yoruba, the child belongs to the man whether married or not.

I hope I am correct

Are you sure you from Igbo Land? In my own path of Igbo any child borne out of wedlock belong to the man, male child or female child, woman doesn't own child in my place.
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Bobo121(m): 9:36am On Jul 19, 2014
Jamean: First of all let's get it clear that ownership differs from possession. Any child born is owned by both parents irrespective of the circumstances at the time of birth. Thereafter, either of them can have possession of the child as they resolve.

For the Urhobo tribe, the child will bear the father's surname whether married/unmarried or assumes responsibility/not, otherwise the child will be called a bastard. We nor dey claim pikin except for some overdo families.

Via ProudUvwieChick
GBAM! Mavo,u fine 4 wafi chick oh

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Bbklopsy: 9:45am On Jul 19, 2014
Paternityt test answers it all - Basic genetics. Only n except d man is a Broke
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Idowuogbo(f): 10:02am On Jul 19, 2014
nossycheek:

know his village
Surely that child will hate ur guts if he/she ends up with the TRUTH. Try born my type and deprive me off better Nwa daddy moments, i'll write you off straight. Nonsense!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo And His Wives Attend Juma'at Prayers (Photos) / Morenike Naomi Oluwaseyi Celebrates Her Mother's Birthday (Pictures) / Oduduwa Temple In Sao Paulo, Brazil (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.