Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,130 members, 7,811,194 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:59 AM

Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers (22257 Views)

Anthony Joshua: I Thought #EndSARS Protest Was Against Virus / Harry Maguire-i Don't Feel Like I Owe Anybody An Apology(video) / Harry Maguire: Man Utd Agree £80m Deal For Leicester Defender (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by ogbiwa: 8:07am On Aug 28, 2020
Manchester United defender Harry Maguire said he feared for his life when Greek police arrested him last week as he thought he was being kidnapped.

The England international told BBC sports editor Dan Roan that plain-clothed police officers, who did not identify themselves, pulled over his group's minibus in Mykonos, threw him off the bus, hit him on his legs and told him his career was over.

The 27-year-old said he tried to run away - with one handcuff on - because he had no idea who the men were.

On Tuesday, Maguire was given a suspended sentence of 21 months and 10 days in prison after his trial on the Greek island of Syros.

He was found guilty of repeated bodily harm, attempted bribery, violence against public employees and insult after arrest on Mykonos.

On Wednesday, his legal team lodged an appeal against the verdict. In accordance with Greek law, the appeal nullifies Maguire's conviction and there will be a full retrial in a more senior court.

An emotional Maguire, who broke down during the interview, said hearing the guilty verdict was "horrible" and that he "couldn't quite believe it".

The centre-back, who denies throwing any punches or trying to bribe the police, added: "I don't feel I owe an apology to anybody.

"An apology is something when you have done something wrong."

He said: "I don't wish it on anybody. Obviously the situation has made it difficult for one of the biggest clubs in the world, so I regret putting the fans and the club through this, but I did nothing wrong.

"I found myself in a situation where it could have happened to anybody and anywhere."

Asked how badly he was hurt, Maguire said: "They hit me a lot on the legs. It wasn't on my mind. I was in that much of a panic. Fear. Scared for my life."

Maguire said his family are suffering more than him and that his "conscience is clear".

"I know what happened that night. I know the truth," he added.

"When I speak about it I get worked up but that's because it just makes me feel a bit angry inside. I will move on. I am mentally strong enough."

Maguire - an £80m signing from Leicester City in 2019 - was named United's permanent captain in January after the departure of Ashley Young to Inter Milan, and he is likely to remain skipper this season.

"It is such a huge honour to be captain of Manchester United - something I am really proud of," he said. "It is a massive privilege to play for the club, never mind captain.

"It is not my decision to make but the one thing I will say is how supportive the club has been from top to bottom. They have been great with me and I thank them for that."

On Tuesday, Maguire was withdrawn from the England squad for September's Nations League matches against Iceland and Denmark.

He said: "I love playing for my country. Physically and mentally I am ready to play. I'm disappointed but of course I understand."

How Maguire says the night unfolded
✓Maguire was on holiday with his fiancee Fern, his younger sister Daisy, his brother and his brother's girlfriend, and two friends and their girlfriends.
They were out for drinks in Mykonos and texted their minibus driver to pick them up to take them home.

✓The driver was "20 minutes late" and Maguire said the group were tired and planning to head back to the villa.
Two men approached Daisy and asked her where she was from before Fern saw "my little sister's eyes rolling to the back of her head. She ran over, she was fainting, in and out of consciousness."

✓At this point Maguire said "everyone was shouting and were screaming", when three Greek men dressed in plain clothes got involved.
Maguire said they were not trying to "cause an argument or a scuffle", but "it was just a lot of shouting, a lot of commotion. No fighting, as has been reported. No punches thrown."

✓Maguire said the Greek men were just trying to calm it down but they were "a little bit aggressive".

✓The minibus arrived. Maguire said they got Daisy on the bus and "literally that was it - it wasn't what everyone's made it out to be. Don't get me wrong - there was a lot of shouting, a big panic, but no fighting or anything."

✓They told the driver to take them back to the villa and planned to go to the hospital, but Daisy recovered "pretty quickly".

✓The bus drove for "5-10 minutes" and stopped and parked up alongside this road. "We looked outside and there were eight men surrounding the bus, all in plain clothes."

✓The doors were opened and Maguire and a friend were "thrown off the bus".

✓Maguire said the men did not say anything to them. It was at this point that Maguire thought they were being kidnapped.

✓Maguire and his friend ran to the main road, from where he rang his agent to ask for help, leaving messages on a group WhatsApp.

✓Maguire said when he turned to walk back to the bus, he and his friend had been circled by the men, who started walking towards them.

✓Maguire said: "We got down on our knees, put our hands in the air. And they just started hitting us. They got one of my hands in the handcuff. They were hitting my legs, saying my career's over - 'no more football; you won't play again'. "At this point I thought there's no chance these are police. I've no idea who they are. So I tried to run away. I had one hand in the handcuff - I was moving my hand. This is where the charges have come from - this is what they are saying is resisting arrest and this is what the assault is - no punches have been thrown. I didn't believe they were the police."

[I]Greek police dispute this version of events and in court the prosecution said Maguire, his brother and friend then physically and verbally attacked police officers. [/I]

✓Maguire said he was taken into the police station and was put in a cell. "That was the time I felt a little bit of relief, as crazy as that sounds. There were other people in the cell telling me to calm down and it felt like relief because that was the first time I actually believed I was in prison.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53941208

1 Like

Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by Dgoz(m): 8:23am On Aug 28, 2020
Next time.... holiday in England

21 Likes

Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by omophunky(m): 8:37am On Aug 28, 2020
Thought ! as being in southern kaduna abi ? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by Mowsid(m): 10:00am On Aug 28, 2020
Really felt for him but that's how the system works. The whole system is ruled by fear shocked
Government/Police: obey or jail
School: obey or fail
Religion: obey or hell

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by bankulizer: 10:00am On Aug 28, 2020
Not in my dear country, they be like, Oga Maquire no mind those yeye boys, we don lock them up throway key, anything for the boys Sir, Happy Weekend Sir grin

20 Likes

Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by colorsofrainbow: 10:00am On Aug 28, 2020
I never knew typical Nigerian lies like this have crossed the boundaries of Africa

64 Likes

Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by epicmadam(f): 10:01am On Aug 28, 2020
Akpi seeds for bigger breast, butt and hips is available.

2 Likes

Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by gungab(m): 10:01am On Aug 28, 2020
Common Meeenh

Nice Angle.
But , how was there approach, didn't they show you some ID

2 Likes

Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by Openbusiness: 10:01am On Aug 28, 2020
Selling
Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by PureGoldh(m): 10:01am On Aug 28, 2020
Issoryt
Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by rkumije: 10:01am On Aug 28, 2020
Na so me sef go think if Na me

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by techmo(m): 10:01am On Aug 28, 2020
Police and intimidation ... It seems it's everywhere

Even the US cops wearing body cam are not left out

9 Likes

Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by olaric(m): 10:01am On Aug 28, 2020
Feels like he's trying so hard to convince us. Footballers lie a lot. His defence lawyers must have told him to keep up with this line of argument. He probably became Man United captain a bit too early.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by Nobody: 10:01am On Aug 28, 2020
LIES

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by Edopesin: 10:01am On Aug 28, 2020
Oloshi just go your prison jeje make man u use am as excuse to commot you from their payroll

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by KossyKiss97(f): 10:02am On Aug 28, 2020
Hmm

Please call me if you need children Educational tablets. 08060291729
Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by Captainrambo2: 10:02am On Aug 28, 2020
Liar Muhammed has an english son undecided

6 Likes

Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by GreaterFuture1(m): 10:02am On Aug 28, 2020
Facebook Accounts for Sale, Last Price is 5k naira
Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by osamz007: 10:02am On Aug 28, 2020
MAGUIRE DEY TRY USE NIGERIA SENSE

1 Like

Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by Finnese001: 10:02am On Aug 28, 2020
Okay
Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by Zarha: 10:02am On Aug 28, 2020
Okay

I have a newly shipped in Samsung A40, Camera and battery is superb!! 4gig/64gig. Very very clean with a cord.. Charger...

Call : 07030363986
Price :80k (Non negotiable)

Phone is guaranteed. Open box.. Very new
Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:02am On Aug 28, 2020
Heeeeyaaaah.

With your reaction, they also thought you were an armed robber!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by EBEk101(m): 10:02am On Aug 28, 2020
Fear lawyers

4 Likes

Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by oluwaseyi0: 10:02am On Aug 28, 2020
It's weird as I'm thinking Maguire is lying

4 Likes

Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by baike: 10:02am On Aug 28, 2020
U can only tell that to VAR or England referees

1 Like

Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by humilitypays(m): 10:02am On Aug 28, 2020
The same way I see Nigerian Policemen as armed robbers, especially those untrained SARS Officers that go about in Jeans trousers & dirty looking, smelling T-shirts harassing successful Nigerian youths because they believe every Nigerian youth who is not related to Bola Tifnubu, Corrupt Terrorist Buhari and co must be a Yahoo plus boy, what a nation angry angry

5 Likes

Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by ojaysam25(m): 10:03am On Aug 28, 2020
grin....be like that policeman na man u fan wen DON feed up with miguire defensive eror...see wetin e tell am grin

7 Likes

Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by emmabest2000(m): 10:03am On Aug 28, 2020
logon599:
There are always 3 sides to every story. I pray he recovers from this and his career as well.

3 Likes

Re: Harry Maguire: I Thought The Greek Policemen Were Kidnappers by Fheelzz(m): 10:03am On Aug 28, 2020
Hmm grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tottenham Fan Banned From Football After Throwing Banana Skin At Aubameyang / Portugal Climb Up To 5th In Latest FIFA Rankings As Belgium Stretch Lead / Taiye Taiwo Joins Swiss Club Lausanne Sport(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.