Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,379 members, 7,822,785 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:50 PM

Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi (31953 Views)

This Bola Ahmed Tinubu Interview Is A Masterstroke / ESUTH: Setting The Records Straight - Gerald Orukwa / Ede COVID-19 Palliatives Warehouse Looting: Putting The Records Straight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by Naijaepic: 10:58am On Aug 29, 2020
Looking at that line of argument, do you think, that "I don't believe in military rule" will generate the maximum profit the media outfit that conducted the interview is after.

ivandragon:
Op, as much as a person fully deserves to change his/her mind, the context you have presented does not satisfy the statement made at the time.

Won't it be best to post the whole interview?

He would have said he doesn't believe in military rule (which he was fighting against) & not in Nigeria.

Another interesting thing is how there is an effort to put his statement in context... This is the same thing some others have also stated about statements made by some former leaders especially the infamous 'stealing is not corruption'... Now the tables are turned, we are told to 'look at context'... That boat has long since sailed...
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by bigfish3k: 11:08am On Aug 29, 2020
Didi2d:

I saw what you wrote and I smiled, don't know if its hate or you just felt like writing anything you feel like.
How can you compare a military regime with a Democratic regime? Please compare again and tell amongst both names you mentioned who's really a coward.
So you mean it was civilians that went to kanus house and killed people
Or you want to deny it wasn't the military
Civilian government that kicked against court date for Kanu and attacked him militarily. Mtchew

1 Like

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by bigfish3k: 11:13am On Aug 29, 2020
OkikiOluwa1:
foo l.
With due respect to Kanu n Ibo agitation.
Military of Abacha is diff from military of Buhari's civilian rule.
How old are you during Abacha's regime? Do you know stove Abacha?
Do you know kerosene cost N50 per bottle around 1997-1998?
Yes it's different
Abachas military was better
They couldn't have allowed boko haram, bandits and herdsmen to fester this long

1 Like

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by bigfish3k: 11:17am On Aug 29, 2020
DexterousOne:
It's very funny when people say that "make we divide Nigeria " make everybody go their way bla bla bla

The prevalent conditions that make the country a shithole today are still prevalent, and will make the breakaway countries even bigger shitholes if division does happen

Black men will NEVER get to the root of the matter, but instead will be chasing shadows and pointing fingers looking for who to blame
Division will solve 50% of the problems at least tribalism and religion will reduce to its minimum
Or eradicated
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by goodnessme1(f): 11:18am On Aug 29, 2020
DexterousOne:

That is the point I'm trying to make

It's not in the country being together or apart that Is the problem

It is the PEOPLE in the country that is the problem

And of course
Misgovernance at all levels of government
We are quick to blame the federal government
But our states and local governments that are closer to us, and are most likely going to be of similar stock as us are also failing us woefully

Look at the disgrace we have in Abia state for example

My point is....
Breaking up or remaining together
If the underlying issues are not dealt with
It's still the same crap we are going to get

No thanks to Buhari misrule
The country is now very much divided
Oga dividing Nigeria will solve major problems.

The main problem of nigeria is not bad leaders,but we don't share common value.
What makes a great country is people that shares common value system.
The way Igbo man thinks is not the way Yoruba man thinks,the way yoruba man thinks is not the way hausafulanis man thinks.

Where a come from,we know how to deal with bad leaders.
But so far nigeria is concern,federal government will continue to protect their fellow corrupt politicians.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by bigfish3k: 11:20am On Aug 29, 2020
DexterousOne:

So after disintegrating

The problems that made Nigeria a shithole will just magically disappear?
Yes it will be solved 50%
Is it not because of tribalism and religion that we have quota system and incompetency every where and we keep on sliding down on various growth indices
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by Millimann: 11:22am On Aug 29, 2020
MrColdsweat:
So you mean the same military kanu ran away from and yorubas tagged him a coward, is the same military that tinubu ran away from and his people hail him as jagaban?

God bless you. This is good for reference purposes.
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by bigfish3k: 11:22am On Aug 29, 2020
DexterousOne:

That is the point I'm trying to make

It's not in the country being together or apart that Is the problem

It is the PEOPLE in the country that is the problem

And of course
Misgovernance at all levels of government
We are quick to blame the federal government
But our states and local governments that are closer to us, and are most likely going to be of similar stock as us are also failing us woefully

Look at the disgrace we have in Abia state for example

My point is....
Breaking up or remaining together
If the underlying issues are not dealt with
It's still the same crap we are going to get

No thanks to Buhari misrule
The country is now very much divided
Division will solve half of the problems at least tribalism and religion will disappear
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by Nobody: 11:23am On Aug 29, 2020
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by Nobody: 11:24am On Aug 29, 2020
honeyB2018:

We know them by their fruit An incurable believer in the entity called Nigeria, will never, under an circumstances, say he has no confidence in Nigeria. This is where Obj, stands out among Yoruba leaders, dead or alive.

Yorubas have said times without number that OBJ is not a yoruba man
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by Nobody: 11:25am On Aug 29, 2020
DexterousOne:

So after disintegrating

The problems that made Nigeria a shithole will just magically disappear?

Unity beggar

1 Like

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by honeyB2018: 11:44am On Aug 29, 2020
PrecisionFx:

Yorubas have said times without number that OBJ is not a yoruba man

Because Obj, has a national mindset, rather than their parochial and chauvinistic mindset. I wish you saw an enlightened mind like Chief Niyi Akintola, wrote last time about Yorubas and PDP, when Secondus was made chairman of PDP.
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by anonimi: 11:54am On Aug 29, 2020
ironheart:
they are all looters, can you be honest and say what the civilian administration has done so far? We dont care if you loot. Just do something. Take niger Delta as an example, they loot there common wealth and blame the north. Yet the north would loot small do small.

If ordinary oyinbo people have this type of shity attitude, will they be so blessed and prosperous in a safe and sane environment

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4916464_img1218_jpeg869064c69e3965560ae57d6aeb37a7f2

1 Like

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by DexterousOne(m): 12:02pm On Aug 29, 2020
PrecisionFx:

Unity beggar

That's all you have to say cheesy

Answer the question
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by DexterousOne(m): 12:08pm On Aug 29, 2020
bigfish3k:

Division will solve half of the problems at least tribalism and religion will disappear

This is not true

The tribalism and religion WILL NOT DISAPPEAR

It was on this nairaland I saw children of Anambra hurling insults at each other because of "zoning" of the governorship

It's in this Nigeria that within states, the supposed dominant ethnic group, or the one who happens to stumble on power maligns the other groups

Aka Ibom, Benue, Kogi and even Rivers states are examples
There are others

It was orlu folks that were defending Okorocha despite his iberibeism

I met someone from abia state who is from the same area as that failure called Ikpeazu
All that satisfied him was at least, at last
Someone from his area is in office

The point I'm trying to make
Is that the problem wont be solved just by drawing new lines and demarcation of the country

The underlying issues we have is wht is falling the country

I'm not one to be carried away by sentiments or hues and cry

I dissect the issues dispassionately
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by ivandragon: 12:14pm On Aug 29, 2020
Naijaepic:
Looking at that line of argument, do you think, that "I don't believe in military rule" will generate the maximum profit the media outfit that conducted the interview is after.

At the time, yes. The headline would have reflected an appropriate reflection of the angst against military dictatorship.

If it got Abiola into jail, it certainly would have gotten the attention it needed at the time.

I am searching through my newspaper archives, I hope to get the clipping.

What I am sure of is that the south west were at a point in time pushing for separation & Bat might have been simply reflecting this position at the time.

Also, I think the main issue why this is coming up is that given the utterances of bat in the past, it was expected that he will be more vocal on the issue of restructuring.
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by Nobody: 12:18pm On Aug 29, 2020
Do you say we are enjoying democracy?

Please check the meaning of democracy and check the system practice by Nigeria leaders from 1999 till this present time and tell me what we are enjoying.

If you truly love a country and you want the best for her you don't give up hope.

I won't say anything rash because of the future...

But we are watching

Lanrelagboi:
https://twitter.com/ekometa/status/1299440237261860865?s=19
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by DexterousOne(m): 12:19pm On Aug 29, 2020
goodnessme1:
Oga dividing Nigeria will solve major problems.

The main problem of nigeria is not bad leaders,but we don't share common value.
What makes a great country is people that shares common value system.
The way Igbo man thinks is not the way Yoruba man thinks,the way yoruba man thinks is not the way hausafulanis man thinks.

Where a come from,we know how to deal with bad leaders.
But so far nigeria is concern,federal government will continue to protect their fellow corrupt politicians.

There is NO country in the world where everyone thinks in a particular way

Even the United States of America we revere

They are as different as anything
We have liberals, lefties conservatives, mormons, evangelicals, etc all living under one roof

In Switzerland we have the French germans and Italians and Romanians living under one roof

Even in Germany
Bavaria has more in common with Austria than Germany that they are in

What about Belgium?
Dutch and French under one roof

United kingdom ?
Singapore ?

The people who make up the country determine the direction the country should go

Nigeria had a rocky start (no thanks to Britain as well as naive Nigerian leaders)

But it can still be salvaged

First of all
Stop voting divisive leaders

Second
Let's have a honest discussion about reconciliation
And third

Let us tear that "exclusive list" to shreds
So that each state can be free

This is the discussion that one day will be had by the younger generation
Cos in my opinion
Nothing good can come out of the Buhari generation

That's just it
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by DexterousOne(m): 12:21pm On Aug 29, 2020
ivandragon:

At the time, yes. The headline would have reflected an appropriate reflection of the angst against military dictatorship.

If it got Abiola into jail, it certainly would have gotten the attention it needed at the time.

I am searching through my newspaper archives, I hope to get the clipping.

What I am sure of is that the south west were at a point in time pushing for separation & Bat might have been simply reflecting this position at the time.

Also, I think the main issue why this is coming up is that given the utterances of bat in the past, it was expected that he will be more vocal on the issue of restructuring.

This is exactly my thoughts

We should be having a more serious discussion about adjusting the structure of the country

But somehow
Because of he is close to corridors of power
He kept his mouth shut
That's hypocrisy
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by Nobody: 12:22pm On Aug 29, 2020
DexterousOne:

That's all you have to say cheesy

Answer the question

Answer questions from unity beggars?? grin grin

U must ne joking
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by DexterousOne(m): 12:23pm On Aug 29, 2020
PrecisionFx:

Answer questions from unity beggars?? grin grin

U must ne joking

See yourself?
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 29, 2020
honeyB2018:

Because Obj, has a national mindset, rather than their parochial and chauvinistic mindset. I wish you saw an enlightened mind like Chief Niyi Akintola, wrote last time about Yorubas and PDP, when Secondus was made chairman of PDP.

Well, the story is that OBJ comes from onitsha royal family, that's why they rejected him in 1999
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by Nobody: 12:24pm On Aug 29, 2020
goodnessme1:
Why didn't Gani and co dead since Kanu would have been dead?

Because kanu is the leader of a secessionist group. The constitution was set aside and we were ruled under a millitary decree which considers the activities of ipob to be treason and the punishment is death straight away. See what happened to Ken saro wiwa and co.
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by Nobody: 12:32pm On Aug 29, 2020
Sannisege:
stop responding to kids who were born just yesterday.

This nairaland forum is littered with kids who believe in their own convictions and totally uninterested in learning from history.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by Nobody: 12:34pm On Aug 29, 2020
MrColdsweat:
So you mean the same military kanu ran away from and yorubas tagged him a coward, is the same military that tinubu ran away from and his people hail him as jagaban?

Tinubu and Kanu are different sides of the same coin. Tinubu never believed in one-Nigeria until he became glsenator and governor and now Jagaban. Give Kanu same opportunity, he will sing a different song..The can only fool the gullibles and tribalists. Both are the same.
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by guvna(m): 12:35pm On Aug 29, 2020
Hope abacha is enjoying his dance in whatever hell he's in and where he deserves...and all others that have destroyed the progress of Nigeria for selfish reasons or otherwise
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by Dedetwo(m): 12:44pm On Aug 29, 2020
Lanrelagboi:

It’s proper and helpful to put that interview granted in 1997 when Asiwaju Tinubu was in exile in London in its proper context. I know the story well enough. It was during the military era after the annulment of the June 12 election when Nigeria was a Banana Republic of sort. Every right-thinking Nigeria was exasperated at the way the country was being run and where it was headed.

General Ibrahim Babangida had annulled the election freely won by Bashorun MKO Abiola, an election that broke all barriers that hitherto divided the country: ethnic, religious, class, etc.
In his agitation against the annulment and against the military, as Senator he had led the National Assembly to pass a joint resolution that the military must step aside following the June 12 annulment and hand over to a democratic elected president.

For that he was hounded. His house petrol-bombed. But as it turned out, IBB was forced to step aside. However, General Abacha who pushed the ING headed by Chief Shonekan aside and eventually took over power was of the worse form: brutal, repressive and retrogressive.
Asiwaju and others continued to confront the military and to demand the restoration of June 12. Asiwaju moved into exile where he continued the struggle.

Abacha harassed, hounded and clamped down on many pro-democracy activists including journalists. Those lucky not to be killed lost limbs. Many were clamped into detention, their families harassed. NADECO chieftains which included Pa Alfred Rewane was killed. Kudirat Abiola was killed in broad daylight. Late Chief Abraham Adesanya and late Guardian Newspaper Publisher Alex Ibru, among many others, were shot at.

It was during that dark period that Asiwaju granted that interview, when no one was proud of the country. The military were not building, they were simply destroying all that had been built. Everything was in disarray. All committed and highly-principled Nigerians lost belief in their country and hope in her well-ordained future.

Following the agitation of the likes of Asiwaju and co, the military somehow atoned for the criminal annulment of June 12 and brought back democracy, which all of us are enjoying today including the faceless people now condemning Asiwaju for his patriotic stand and for granting that interview that put the military on their toes.
Those who exhumed that interview to score cheap political points should be ashamed of themselves. Nigerians, however, know better and know the courageous and patriotic ones as opposed to those who only pay lip service to patriotism and nationalism.

https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/12226109_img20200828wa0023_jpeg9634c37d727adc4223c3b7dccb3074e7

https://twitter.com/ekometa/status/1299440237261860865?s=19

I hate the moment certain people from a section of shithole called Nigeria think they are smart while others just woke up from a slumber. The Tinubu said he does not believe in One-Nigeria. No amount of deliberate twist can change the message. It was under military regime when he and his forbearers fought under the banner of One-Nigeria. When the shithole called Nigeria does not pander to his silly socio-political agenda, he foolishly remembers that One-Nigeria is unworthy mantra. The above crap reminds of Saro Wiwa. When any military regime allows the dingbats to pillage anything that belongs to other Nigerians, it is One-Nigeria. However when another regime refuses to allow the ninnies to do as they wanted, they remember that the slogan, One-Nigeria is a Fulani agenda to Islamized Nigeria.
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by Marine54(m): 12:46pm On Aug 29, 2020
angry angry
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by Marine54(m): 12:48pm On Aug 29, 2020
angry angry
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by Marine54(m): 1:00pm On Aug 29, 2020
Tflex01:
Lol... I'm just laughing at the Igbos on this thread honestly grin

Tinubu will become President and you will continue to wail as usual.

The funny thing is you will expect Tinubu to return all your hate for him with love when he becomes president. grin
It can only in your imaginary country !
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by jacoik(m): 1:07pm On Aug 29, 2020
MrColdsweat:
lolxxxxx hahahaha aswear guy u dey heartless oooooo. u mean say our tinubu follow runaway from military? please meet me at third mainland bridge by 12 30 midnight today I have a massage for you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Boko Haram Can No Longer Confront Nigerian Soldiers – Major General / Abba Kyari: A New Twist In The Tale - Tunde Olusunle / MC Oluomo Denies Sending NURTW Thugs To Disrupt Endsars Protest In Alausa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.