Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,945 members, 7,835,141 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:55 AM

Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? (876 Views)

Do Catholics In Nigeria Actually Confess To Their Priests? / Why Do Catholics Refer To Mary As Virgin? / Why Does The Catholic Church Call Mary The Mother Of God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by chatinent: 3:18pm On Aug 30, 2020
Anyone?
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by dingbang(m): 3:21pm On Aug 30, 2020
Your answer is contained in the book of John (new testament)
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by chatinent: 3:22pm On Aug 30, 2020
dingbang:
Your answer is contained in the book of John (new testament)

That's not an answer. Cite a scripture.
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by dingbang(m): 3:26pm On Aug 30, 2020
chatinent:

That's not an answer. Cite a scripture.
can't waste my precious time schooling you. You are the one looking for answers, i've given you clues, dont be lazy!
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by Kestolove(m): 3:32pm On Aug 30, 2020
Mary mother of God? Anybody at says dat is mad.
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by athaboi(f): 3:40pm On Aug 30, 2020
Kestolove:
why are you blacks this problematic...wetting concern you with people that says Mary is the mother of God?? You who did you say is the mother of God?? Or for you, God doesn't have a mother or he doesn't even exist?? Which one is correct?? Are you God?? Please let's live and allow others live. No one is better than anybody

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 30, 2020
Kestolove:
U don comot that ur 'big nose' picture?
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by Kestolove(m): 3:47pm On Aug 30, 2020
athaboi:
why are you blacks this problematic...wetting concern you with people that says Mary is the mother of God?? You who did you say is the mother of God?? Or for you, God doesn't have a mother or he doesn't even exist?? Which one is correct?? Are you God?? Please let's live and allow others live. No one is better than anybody
since Mary is d mother of God, pls tell us who is d father of God
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by StormInc: 3:47pm On Aug 30, 2020
I’m not a catholic but I think it’s quite simple. If Jesus is God and Mary is Jesus’s mother, then?

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by xproducer: 3:56pm On Aug 30, 2020
The Lord JESUS CHRIST, the Word, should be our sole focus - "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." - Acts 4:12

Even when the Lord JESUS was on the earth in the flesh, his response regarding this very subject was/is to focus on GOD - "And it happened, as He spoke these things, that a certain woman from the crowd raised her voice and said to Him, “Blessed is the womb that bore You, and the breasts which nursed You!” But He said, “More than that, blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it!” - Luke 11:27-29
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by athaboi(f): 9:10pm On Aug 30, 2020
Kestolove:
since Mary is d mother of God, pls tell us who is d father of God
oga go and sleep...whites are advancing while the blacks are there dragging which God is better. You that knows better, come and go heaven na

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by Emeraldicon(m): 6:07am On Aug 31, 2020
In the history of the church, there was a time when the church was battling heresies who are teaching that Jesus Christ is not God.

So in order to do away with such teaching the Catholic church affirmed that though Jesus came as truly human but he is also the son of the most high sharing the same substance with God.

So in that vain if truly Jesus is God, then Mary is also the mother of God. Mother of God the son, daughter of God the Father and spouse of God the holy spirit.

My point here is that Catholics call Mary the mother of God not because there is anything wrong in calling her the mother of Jesus but to actually affirmed the divinity of Jesus as God the son.

No one will argue Mary being the Jesus but once you here Mary mother of God what comes to your mind will be that Jesus is God so mission accomplished.

Every honour the Church gives to Mary is like a double honour given to her Son.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by Kvvngkhalifa202(m): 1:48am On Sep 05, 2020
Cause Catholics believe in the trinity ( which is 3persons in one God) God d father Almighty God God d son Jesus Christ and God the spirit which is the Holy Spirit
So if Jesus Christ is God
Mary mother of Jesus Christ is same referred to as Mother of God
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:15am On Sep 05, 2020
chatinent:
Anyone?

Don't mind them joor, They were the Former World Champions of Lies and Falsehoods going around deceiving simple and uninformed people.

Major Weapon, Using the Truth To Lie!
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:21am On Sep 05, 2020
athaboi:

All men have a duty to say the truth Always! Because, we, men act only on the Truth!

Misrepresentations and falsehoods and half truths/halfl lies and out right lies have destroyed many of us.

But Only Truths have truly helped us and saved us from destruction.
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:25am On Sep 05, 2020
Kvvngkhalifa202:
Cause Catholics believe in the trinity ( which is 3persons in one God) God d father Almighty God God d son Jesus Christ and God the spirit which is the Holy Spirit

Lies!

Christ Clearly called her "woman" to her face in public, when she attempted exercising authority (motherhood) over Him.

For She knew that though she was Chosen and Appointed to bare Him, He was not her child.

John, the Baptist as we say "Senior" the Man called Jesus but did you see at any time that John acted as though he was "elder brother" to Jesus? No, not once.

John knew his place and position and he stayed there.

Mary, dey her own, played her role and now she sleeps, then some people have risen up to bestow upon her that Which the Lord did not Bestow on her, at the Material Time as He Usually Does.

They can post mortem awards to people but it is Not Right to take the Name of the Lord, to do so, Especially When it is a matter the Lord did not Do at the Relevant and Material Time.

It is a crafty award done behind her back and knowing her, she would have screamed that no one should have done this thing if she knew that it could have been done.

Catholic church, Headquarters of False Teachers and Prophets. Yes, I do say so myself!
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by ojaysam25(m): 8:24am On Sep 05, 2020
Mary mother of God is syllogism....a deductive reasoning gotten from two different premises....if jesus Christ is God,and Mary is the mother of jesus...then it is fair to say Mary is the mother of God just to affirm Jes us as God.
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by OKpaewu(m): 8:31am On Sep 05, 2020
Mary is the mother of God simply because Jesus is God. The church teaches that Mary being the mother of God does not mean she is greater than her son or that she came before her son, no, it simply means that the child she carried and bored is a God therefore making her His mother, is as simple as that unless Jesus is no longer God.
We should also remember that Elizabeth filled with the Holy Spirit called Mary the mother of my Lord, In fact Mary called Jesus my son and Jesus called her Mother.
The bond which always exist between a mother and her child invariably existed between Mary and Jesus, the bond which made her nurture him in infancy, was there in His first miracle, made her appear in christ ministry, was there during His cruel death on the cross, the bond which united them even in His precious death, was there in His resurrection and ascension and still there with the apostle when they receive the Holy spirit.
The church have always confirmed that Mary is infinitly lower than Jesus. Jesus created her but the same Jesus by His own choice later become her son. Her creator became her child, is a mystery. Mary after being called mother of my Lord by Elizabeth through the revelation of the Holy Spirit realizes in a deeper way the great work God have done for her and reconfirms what the angel already told her about the nature of the one she is to bear.
Thus Mary sang a song saying that from that day all generations shall call her blessed, FOR HE THAT IS MIGHTY HAVE DONE GREAT THINGS FOR HER.
SHALOM

1 Like

Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by Kvvngkhalifa202(m): 5:10pm On Sep 05, 2020
But you can agree she was the earthly mother of Jesus
During the conception of Jesus the angel said Hail Mary full of Grace blessed are thee amongst women and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus
Ogbeni respect people’s beliefs sameway you want people to respect yours
By d way I’m not a Catholic
Dtruthspeaker:

Lies!

Christ Clearly called her "woman" to her face in public, when she attempted exercising authority (motherhood) over Him.

For She knew that though she was Chosen and Appointed to bare Him, He was not her child.

John, the Baptist as we say "Senior" the Man called Jesus but did you see at any time that John acted as though he was "elder brother" to Jesus? No, not once.

John knew his place and position and he stayed there.

Mary, dey her own, played her role and now she sleeps, then some people have risen up to bestow upon her that Which the Lord did not Bestow on her, at the Material Time as He Usually Does.

They can post mortem awards to people but it is Not Right to take the Name of the Lord, to do so, Especially When it is a matter the Lord did not Do at the Relevant and Material Time.

It is a crafty award done behind her back and knowing her, she would have screamed that no one should have done this thing if she knew that it could have been done.

Catholic church, Headquarters of False Teachers and Prophets. Yes, I do say so myself!

Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by chatinent: 10:59am On Sep 07, 2020
Meaningless.

OKpaewu:
Mary is the mother of God simply because Jesus is God. The church teaches that Mary being the mother of God does not mean she is greater than her son or that she came before her son, no, it simply means that the child she carried and bored is a God therefore making her His mother, is as simple as that unless Jesus is no longer God.
We should also remember that Elizabeth filled with the Holy Spirit called Mary the mother of my Lord, In fact Mary called Jesus my son and Jesus called her Mother.
The bond which always exist between a mother and her child invariably existed between Mary and Jesus, the bond which made her nurture him in infancy, was there in His first miracle, made her appear in christ ministry, was there during His cruel death on the cross, the bond which united them even in His precious death, was there in His resurrection and ascension and still there with the apostle when they receive the Holy spirit.
The church have always confirmed that Mary is infinitly lower than Jesus. Jesus created her but the same Jesus by His own choice later become her son. Her creator became her child, is a mystery. Mary after being called mother of my Lord by Elizabeth through the revelation of the Holy Spirit realizes in a deeper way the great work God have done for her and reconfirms what the angel already told her about the nature of the one she is to bear.
Thus Mary sang a song saying that from that day all generations shall call her blessed, FOR HE THAT IS MIGHTY HAVE DONE GREAT THINGS FOR HER.
SHALOM
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by OtemAtum: 11:17am On Sep 07, 2020
The Catholic Church was an invention of the Roman Empire. Mary was also an invention of the Romans as well as Jesus. The Romans were looking for a way to make fictitious Jesus equal with the assumed god of the Jews called Jehovah, therefore they refer to Jesus as equal with Jehovah the Jewish god. Then since Mary was said to be the mother of this Jesus, then it implies that Mary is the mother of their god.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by Nobody: 11:36am On Sep 07, 2020
Kvvngkhalifa202:

Of course Mary is the mother of Jesus who later became the Christ, but during his teachings Jesus made it clear that Mary (his own mother) could become blessed only if she joins faithful Jews to practice what he is teaching {Matthew 12:46-49; Luke 11:27-28} during his last hour on earth Jesus referred to Mary as one of the mothers in the midst of believers who are to treat themselves as members of the same family {John 19:25-27} telling Apostle John to take care of Mary (Jesus' mother) as his (John's) mother!

Jesus served as a God just as Moses also served as a God {Exodus 7:1} so if Mary is revered as God's mother Moses's mother must be God's mother too! undecided
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by Dtruthspeaker: 11:54am On Sep 07, 2020
Kvvngkhalifa202:
But you can agree she was the earthly mother of Jesus
During the conception of Jesus the angel said Hail Mary full of Grace blessed are thee amongst women and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus
Ogbeni respect people’s beliefs sameway you want people to respect yours
By d way I’m not a Catholic

The Accurate Truth that should have been taught with no representations and misrepresentations, conceptions and misconceptions, is teaching clearly that One Honourable woman, was Found worthy, by God, to bring forth His Holy Son, into the world of the sons of Man.

This is the Due Regard and Respect owed her. It is a Wrongful Elevation to teach and call her "mother of God".

It is a Wrongful Extension of the fact and and a false hood, for it is not Wholly True and all Half-truths are still Lies.

That is why I speak against it.

For, I am Catholic too but since I was young and we were taught these Truths which I presented above, calling her mother of God was even frowned upon and we were scolded and admonished for it.

That was the teaching in the days of old and then it was the Truth that they knew to be True, that was genuinely taught, be it in error or in accuracy, but the teaching then was done bonafide, which is not so today.
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by OKpaewu(m): 12:19pm On Sep 07, 2020
[quote author=chatinent post=93665743]Meaningless.

[To you but not to all practice catholic grin]
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by OKpaewu(m): 12:32pm On Sep 07, 2020
(The mother of Jesus who later become the Christ, are you trying to say that Jesus when in the womb of Mary was not the Christ ? I believe that Elizabeth through the revelation of the Holy Spirit already called her Blessed. Jesus and Moses should not be compared]

Of course Mary is the mother of Jesus who later became the Christ, but during his teachings Jesus made it clear that Mary (his own mother) could become blessed only if she joins faithful Jews to practice what he is teaching {Matthew 12:46-49; Luke 11:27-28} during his last hour on earth Jesus referred to Mary as one of the mothers in the midst of believers who are to treat themselves as members of the same family {John 19:25-27} telling Apostle John to take care of Mary (Jesus' mother) as his (John's) mother!

Jesus served as a God just as Moses also served as a God {Exodus 7:1} so if Mary is revered as God's mother Moses's mother must be God's mother too! undecided[/quote]
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Sep 07, 2020
OKpaewu:
(The mother of Jesus who later become the Christ, are you trying to say that Jesus when in the womb of Mary was not the Christ ? I believe that Elizabeth through the revelation of the Holy Spirit already called her Blessed. Jesus and Moses should not be compared!
Jesus became Christ NOT from his birth Sir but after his baptism {Matthew 3:17} that's the moment he became the Christ, note that before then he was doing the work of a carpenter {Mark 6:3} and after that day he never returned to his carpentry job!

So he began his job as Christ from the day he got baptized and as for mother of God, i go by your logic since Moses is God {Exodus 7:1} then both Mary and Moses's mother are mothers of Gods! undecided
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by OKpaewu(m): 5:27pm On Sep 07, 2020
I beg to disagree sir. The work christ is gotten from the greek word "Christos" which means the chosen one or the anointed one.Christ right inside His mother's womb is already the anointed one or the chosen one.He did not just become the chosen one only after His baptism but that moment He was chosen In heaven and sent by His father. His father chose Him in heaven and sent Him to earth thus He was already chosen prior to the baptism. His baptism only serve to reveal Him as the only begotten son of God
Maximus69:

Jesus became Christ NOT from his birth Sir but after his baptism {Matthew 3:17} that's the moment he became the Christ, note that before then he was doing the work of a carpenter {Mark 6:3} and after that day he never returned to his carpentry job!

So he began his job as Christ from the day he got baptized and as for mother of God, i go by your logic since Moses is God {Exodus 7:1} then both Mary and Moses's mother are mothers of Gods! undecided
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Sep 07, 2020
OKpaewu:
I beg to disagree sir. The work christ is gotten from the greek word "Christos" which means the chosen one or the anointed one.Christ right inside His mother's womb is already the anointed one or the chosen one.He did not just become the chosen one only after His baptism but that moment He was chosen In heaven and sent by His father. His father chose Him in heaven and sent Him to earth thus He was already chosen prior to the baptism. His baptism only serve to reveal Him as the only begotten son of God

Hmmmmmmmm now i know you're truly prepared to reason!

Note that Jesus is to occupy the throne of David his earthly father/ancestor {Isaiah 9:7} so God's standard should be fully understood. God chose David before Samuel anointed him but David became King years later not immediately!
So God chose Jesus in heaven but he became the Christ and started acting in line with the responsibility of the Christ after his baptism! smiley
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by achorladey: 6:30pm On Sep 07, 2020
Maximus69:

Okpaewu: The work christ is gotten from the greek word "Christos" which means the chosen one or the anointed one. Christ right inside His mother's womb is already the anointed one or the chosen one.He did not just become the chosen one only after His baptism but that moment He was chosen In heaven and sent by His father

Maxumus69: So God chose Jesus in heaven but he became the Christ and started acting in line with the responsibility of the Christ after his baptism!

Achorladey: Okpaewu by now you should understand the kind of person you are discussing with. It is either he is not reading it or trying to manipulate what cannot be manipulated
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by manuel4real(m): 7:01pm On Sep 07, 2020
Wait
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by OKpaewu(m): 9:02pm On Sep 07, 2020
I just observed it now. This people forget that the bible also has its etymological side. They seek to interpret it only from reasoning forgetting that bible have culture, background and language in which it is written
achorladey:

Okpaewu: The work christ is gotten from the greek word "Christos" which means the chosen one or the anointed one. Christ right inside His mother's womb is already the anointed one or the chosen one.He did not just become the chosen one only after His baptism but that moment He was chosen In heaven and sent by His father

Maxumus69: So God chose Jesus in heaven but he became the Christ and started acting in line with the responsibility of the Christ after his baptism!

Achorladey: Okpaewu by now you should understand the kind of person you are discussing with. It is either he is not reading it or trying to manipulate what cannot be manipulated

1 Like

Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by OKpaewu(m): 9:19pm On Sep 07, 2020
You seem to think that Christ and chosen one mean different thing. They are the same thing. God can not CHOSE Jesus and he later become the Christ. Chosen Him is synonymous to making him Christ. God chose David and later he became king, but the phrase"chose one" and "king" have separate meaning whereas "chosen one" and "Christ" literally mean the same thing. If you are the chosen one in this context, literally you are the Christ at the moment you are chose, there is no need for you to be christ later. You know why? Because they are the same thing. You can't say Jesus was chosen in heaven and then He become the chosen one (the Christ) at His baptism. Two different chosen but I believe He was only chosen once. Can you see it is simply repeating of words. Baptism only serve to reveal to us that he was that chosen one( Christ) not making Him the chosen one which before His baptism, He already is
For reminder,Jesus have no earthly father
Maximus69:

Hmmmmmmmm now i know you're truly prepared to reason!

Note that Jesus is to occupy the throne of David his earthly father/ancestor {Isaiah 9:7} so God's standard should be fully understood. God chose David before Samuel anointed him but David became King years later not immediately!
So God chose Jesus in heaven but he became the Christ and started acting in line with the responsibility of the Christ after his baptism! smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Illuminati Members On Facebook And Twitter: A Warning For Citizens! / The Purpose Of The Law And God's Promise / Christian Singles Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.