Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,339 members, 7,860,854 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 05:23 PM

Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? (894 Views)

Do Catholics In Nigeria Actually Confess To Their Priests? / Why Do Catholics Refer To Mary As Virgin? / Why Does The Catholic Church Call Mary The Mother Of God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Sep 07, 2020
OKpaewu:
You seem to think that Christ and chosen one mean different thing. They are the same thing. God can not CHOSE Jesus and he later become the Christ. Chosen Him is synonymous to making him Christ. God chose David and later he became king, but the phrase"chose one" and "king" have separate meaning whereas "chosen one" and "Christ" literally mean the same thing. If you are the chosen one in this context, literally you are the Christ at the moment you are chose, there is no need for you to be christ later. You know why? Because they are the same thing. You can't say Jesus was chosen in heaven and then He become the chosen one (the Christ) at His baptism. Two different chosen but I believe He was only chosen once. Can you see it is simply repeating of words. Baptism only serve to reveal to us that he was that chosen one( Christ) not making Him the chosen one which before His baptism, He already is
For reminder,Jesus have no earthly father

Well he became the Christ when God used his Holy Spirit to anoint (choose) him {Matthew 3:16} before that day he was a carpenter son of Joseph the carpenter, but after the anointing he became the Christ!
According to the prophecies the Messiah (Christ) will appear at a certain date 29ce that's the year John baptized Jesus! smiley
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by OKpaewu(m): 10:27pm On Sep 07, 2020
grin grin bros Christ and the chosen one mean the same thing. So the time He was chosen in heaven, The holy spirit was not involved bah There was never a time He was not the chosen one. The term christ is just a title ooo, don't just see it as an ambigous term grin. Meanwhile right in heaven Jesus was the son of God, in the womb of Mary He remains the son of God and then at baptism He was revealed to us the son Of God
In heaven Jesus was chosen making Him Christ( the chosen one) Christ and chosen one is the same thing
In the womb of Mary,He still remains the chosen one(Christ) His baptism only serve to reveal to us that He is the chosen one(Christ). Is Jesus the son of God before baptism or did baptism make Him the son of God. Please answer the question
Maximus69:

Well he became the Christ when God used his Holy Spirit to anoint (choose) him {Matthew 3:16} before that day he was a carpenter son of Joseph the carpenter, but after the anointing he became the Christ!
According to the prophecies the Messiah (Christ) will appear at a certain date 29ce that's the year John baptized Jesus! smiley
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by achorladey: 10:31pm On Sep 07, 2020
OKpaewu:
You seem to think that Christ and chosen one mean different thing. They are the same thing. God can not CHOSE Jesus and he later become the Christ. Chosen Him is synonymous to making him Christ. God chose David and later he became king, but the phrase"chose one" and "king" have separate meaning whereas "chosen one" and "Christ" literally mean the same thing. If you are the chosen one in this context, literally you are the Christ at the moment you are chose, there is no need for you to be christ later. You know why? Because they are the same thing. You can't say Jesus was chosen in heaven and then He become the chosen one (the Christ) at His baptism. Two different chosen but I believe He was only chosen once. Can you see it is simply repeating of words. Baptism only serve to reveal to us that he was that chosen one( Christ) not making Him the chosen one which before His baptism, He already is
For reminder,Jesus have no earthly father

Point well made it at the bolded.

It will look as if they haven't read John 1 at all.
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by achorladey: 10:37pm On Sep 07, 2020
Maximus69:

Matthew 3:16-17 After being baptized, Jesus immediately came up from the water; and look! the heavens were opened up,+ and he saw God’s spirit descending like a dove and coming upon him.+ 17 Look! Also, a voice from the heavens+ said: “This is my Son,+ the beloved, whom I have approved.”+

Here is the reference for the verse in your NWT

Isaiah 42:1
Look! My servant,+ whom I support! My chosen one,+ whom I have* approved!+ I have put my spirit in him;+ He will bring justice to the nations.

Matthew 3: 13 Then Jesus came from Galʹi·lee to the Jordan to John, in order to be baptized by him.+ 14 But the latter tried to prevent him, saying: “I am the one who needs to be baptized by you, and are you coming to me?” 15 Jesus replied to him: “Let it be this time, for in that way it is suitable for us to carry out all that is righteous.” Then he quit preventing him.

Did John know that JESUS was CHOSEN or NOT?

Even when they are still in the womb

So Mary set out in those days and traveled with haste into the mountainous country, to a city of Judah, 40 and she entered the home of Zech·a·riʹah and greeted Elizabeth. 41 Well, as Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the infant in her womb leaped, and Elizabeth was filled with holy spirit.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Sep 07, 2020
OKpaewu:
grin grin bros Christ and the chosen one mean the same thing. So the time He was chosen in heaven, The holy spirit was not involved bah There was never a time He was not the chosen one. The term christ is just a title ooo, don't just see it as an ambigous term grin. Meanwhile right in heaven Jesus was the son of God, in the womb of Mary He remains the son of God and then at baptism He was revealed to us the son Of God
In heaven Jesus was chosen making Him Christ( the chosen one) Christ and chosen one is the same thing
In the womb of Mary,He still remains the chosen one(Christ) His baptism only serve to reveal to us that He is the chosen one(Christ). Is Jesus the son of God before baptism or did baptism make Him the son of God. Please answer the question

He became the Christ on the day the holy spirit landed on his head! wink

Before you can grasp the secret, you need to know the full meaning of Christ otherwise you'll continue to misconstrue the whole issue!

First of all i want you to know that Christ means the one and only person God chose to teach us everything we need to know about holiness and life that's truly benefitial {Matthew 17:5} So when did Jesus became the one and only counselor who is next to God {1Corinthians 11:3} before or after his baptism? smiley

Remember that he had to grow up under the care of his foster parents who must guide and counsel him as their own child {Luke 2:51} whereas the Christ must not be subjected to anyone!

So the question again Sir, when did he became the Christ (Saviour whose counsel will save us all) before or after his baptism? smiley
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by josh123(m): 7:55am On Sep 08, 2020
chatinent:
Anyone?
catholics are idol worshippers they serve a graven image. mary is not the mother of God she was only a vessel through which christ can come to this world as human. The bible specially stated that we should not bow down to any image, catholics practice idolism .
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by OKpaewu(m): 8:33am On Sep 08, 2020
grin bros Christ is gotten from a Greek word and the Greece interpret it as the chosen one, I don't know where you are getting your own meaning from cheesy are you now teaching the Greek their own language? Christ does not mean the only one that God chose to teach and counsel us, Christ according to the Greek means the chosen one, simple as that, forget the esoteric knowledge you want to attach to it.
Christ was everything before baptism, however baptism served to reveal who He is to us.
I rest my case abeg grin
Maximus69:

He became the Christ on the day the holy spirit landed on his head! wink

Before you can grasp the secret, you need to know the full meaning of Christ otherwise you'll continue to misconstrue the whole issue!

First of all i want you to know that Christ means the one and only person God chose to teach us everything we need to know about holiness and life that's truly benefitial {Matthew 17:5} So when did Jesus became the one and only counselor who is next to God {1Corinthians 11:3} before or after his baptism? smiley

Remember that he had to grow up under the care of his foster parents who must guide and counsel him as their own child {Luke 2:51} whereas the Christ must not be subjected to anyone!

So the question again Sir, when did he became the Christ (Saviour whose counsel will save us all) before or after his baptism? smiley
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by OKpaewu(m): 8:35am On Sep 08, 2020
I don't tire for the guy, he win grin
achorladey:

Point well made it at the bolded.

It will look as if they haven't read John 1 at all.
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by Nobody: 8:43am On Sep 08, 2020
OKpaewu:
grin bros Christ is gotten from a Greek word and the Greece interpret it as the chosen one, I don't know where you are getting your own meaning from cheesy are you now teaching the Greek their own language? Christ does not mean the only one that God chose to teach and counsel us, Christ according to the Greek means the chosen one, simple as that, forget the esoteric knowledge you want to attach to it.
Christ was everything before baptism, however baptism served to reveal who He is to us.
I rest my case abeg grin

I'm not dragging anything with you my friend! smiley

You're right regarding the meaning of Christ (Messiah) of course it means the Chosen one, but chosen for what purpose? That's where your understanding of the scriptures is incomplete! smiley

He was Chosen as the one and only counselor qualified to lead us to God, so i'm telling you that he became that Counselor after his baptism, that was when he began serving as Christ not when he was chosen in heaven, not when he came to the earth but after his baptism when God's holy spirit landed on his head! smiley
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by ksfdgreat(m): 8:46am On Sep 08, 2020
Kestolove:
since Mary is d mother of God, pls tell us who is d father of God
dint your Bible tell you that when his mother and brothers came looking for him he told them that he has no family only those listening to him are his family Catholics STOp your idolatry practices
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by OKpaewu(m): 8:59am On Sep 08, 2020
Bros you win abeg grin
Maximus69:

I'm not dragging anything with you my friend! smiley

You're right regarding the meaning of Christ (Messiah) of course it means the Chosen one, but chosen for what purpose? That's where your understanding of the scriptures is incomplete! smiley

He was Chosen as the one and only counselor qualified to lead us to God, so i'm telling you that he became that Counselor after his baptism, that was when he began serving as Christ not when he was chosen in heaven, not when he came to the earth but after his baptism when God's holy spirit landed on his head! smiley

Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by Nobody: 9:14am On Sep 08, 2020
OKpaewu:

Bros you win abeg grin

It's not about winning, it's the heritage of the worshipers of the true God! Isaiah 54:17 smiley
Re: Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? by achorladey: 11:28am On Sep 08, 2020
OKpaewu:
Bros you win abeg grin

Na soooo grin grin grin grin grin allow him revel in it

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can I Commit Suicide And Go To Heaven / Life Is Good Until... / SEE the Next Country After Afghanistan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.