Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,340 members, 7,819,200 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres (2311 Views)

Dunchi Lar, Nigerian Jailed For Tweeting About Her Detention In Dubai Airport / Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants / Inside Saudi Arabia Saudia's Airline’s Onboard Prayer Room (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by RightChannel: 4:52pm On Aug 31, 2020
Images leaked to the Sunday Telegraph show emaciated migrants packed into cramped cells in the searing Middle East heat. 

Prisoners say they are 'treated like animals' by Saudi guards who beat them with whips and electric cords and toss away the bodies of migrants who died of heatstroke or suicide.

Saudi Arabia came under pressure for deporting thousands of illegal migrants when the pandemic first arrived, and has since been cramming them in prisons to stop them spreading the disease in their overcrowded homes. 

One image taken on a smuggled phone shows migrants lying nearly naked on the floor of a filthy cell with dozens of people crammed into neighbouring rooms. 

In another room, a corpse lay on the floor covered by a blanket after a migrant died of heatstroke - with others allegedly struggling for food and water.  

'It's hell in here. We are treated like animals and beaten every day,' said Abebe, a migrant from Ethiopia. 

'My only crime is leaving my country in search of a better life. But they beat us with whips and electric cords as if we were murderers.'  

Another migrant said that 'we have been left to die here', adding that he had not been outside the area of a school classroom since March

Others said they have received no medical treatment and that filth from the toilets was overflowing into the cells. 

Human rights groups have long warned that prisons are potential disaster zones because of the possible spread of the disease in dirty, confined spaces. 

According to the Sunday Telegraph, one of the prisons is in Al Shumaisi near Mecca, while another is in Jazan near the border with Yemen. 

Those two alone are thought to contain hundreds of people, and there may be more prisoners in other parts of the compound. 

Human Rights Watch said the migrants were being subjected to 'squalid, crowded and dehumanising conditions' at the detention centres. 

A petroleum-rich state such as Saudi Arabia had 'no excuse' for detaining migrants in such conditions, a spokesman said.  

Saudi Arabia's government has not responded to the claims.    

The UN said in April that Saudi Arabia had deported 2,870 Ethiopian migrants to Addis Ababa since the start of the pandemic.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8681787/Inside-Saudi-Arabias-detention-centres-migrants.html

Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by kessling: 4:55pm On Aug 31, 2020
Lucky prisoners my floors are not even tiled sef
Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by RightChannel: 4:57pm On Aug 31, 2020
kessling:

Uhmmm you're so funny
Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by ANTIlSLAM(m): 4:58pm On Aug 31, 2020
Holy Land ought to have mercy on these gentlemen

2 Likes

Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by fati2001(m): 5:04pm On Aug 31, 2020
animal being better pass some human being.
Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by Nobody: 5:05pm On Aug 31, 2020
Aside the lashes, that's far better than some people's home in Nigeria.
Have you ever been to a Nigerian cell before?
You will understand what you see here is extreme luxury

3 Likes

Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by Badbunny: 5:17pm On Aug 31, 2020
southniyikaye:

Suffering is suffering pls, Nigerians should STOP GLORIFYING SUFFERING!!
cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by longetivity(m): 5:24pm On Aug 31, 2020
southniyikaye:
I pray u are in their shoes

2 Likes

Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by nwaanambra1(m): 5:45pm On Aug 31, 2020
kessling:
[s]Lucky prisoners my floors are not even tiled sef[/s]

and for your mind now you think you are being funny - if only you know how dumb you sound.

7 Likes

Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by dasparrow: 5:49pm On Aug 31, 2020
It's very sad and unfortunate but when will Africans learn that arabs, chinese, lebanese, indians and whites don't like you? You keep flocking to their countries. To do what? Why will you travel to these countries just to be treated like animals? As Africans, we need to do better. African countries should launch a media campaign warning African youths of the dangers that await you abroad if you go there illegally.

2 Likes

Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by dasparrow: 5:53pm On Aug 31, 2020
southniyikaye:

Nothing is worth your freedom. I really don't understand how some of you reason. I don't know why Nigerians glorify hardship, suffering and abuse. If these illegal migrants were white, would the arabs have treated them this way? I don't know why Nigerians always reason like a conquered people.

5 Likes

Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by RightChannel: 6:28pm On Aug 31, 2020
dasparrow:

Nothing is worth your freedom. I really don't understand how some of you reason. I don't know why Nigerians glorify hardship, suffering and abuse. If these illegal migrants were white, would the arabs have treated them this way?

Never
Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by Nobody: 6:45pm On Aug 31, 2020
dasparrow:

Nothing is worth your freedom. I really don't understand how some of you reason. I don't know why Nigerians glorify hardship, suffering and abuse. If these illegal migrants were white, would the arabs have treated them this way? I don't know why Nigerians always reason like a conquered people.
not glorifying hardship, just saying it as it is.
Or can your sentiment free them from that place?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by Nobody: 6:47pm On Aug 31, 2020
longetivity:
I pray u are in their shoes
have been in worse and I survived.
Stood as surety for someone and he eloped.
You don't want to imagine what I passed through but thank God for life.
They type of things sharpen you sometimes.
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time
Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by Nobody: 6:48pm On Aug 31, 2020
Badbunny:

Suffering is suffering pls, Nigerians should STOP GLORIFYING SUFFERING!!
cheesy
not glorifying it but if you've been in any prison in Nigeria beof4, then you will understand why I made this statement
Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by netsurfer01(m): 8:29pm On Aug 31, 2020
southniyikaye:
For real man
Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by RightChannel: 8:41pm On Aug 31, 2020
fati2001:

Fatimo cool

1 Like

Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by AgentNairaland(f): 4:40am On Sep 01, 2020
See how they are treating them like an animal but Allah is merciful and gracious

3 Likes

Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by SheikhMuniru(m): 5:27pm On Sep 01, 2020
They Should follow normal procedure to live in another man country
Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by Memberclub(m): 6:34pm On Sep 01, 2020
southniyikaye:
Fool

1 Like

Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by Nobody: 6:50pm On Sep 01, 2020
Memberclub:
my father is a Fool
this is perfect innit
Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by Xeeex: 6:51pm On Sep 01, 2020
Migrate legally, you won't hear
Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by Dreambeat: 7:23pm On Sep 01, 2020
kessling:
Heartless is your other name
Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by BewareOf419: 8:50pm On Sep 01, 2020
RightChannel:
Images leaked to the Sunday Telegraph show emaciated migrants packed into cramped cells in the searing Middle East heat. 

Prisoners say they are 'treated like animals' by Saudi guards who beat them with whips and electric cords and toss away the bodies of migrants who died of heatstroke or suicide.

Saudi Arabia came under pressure for deporting thousands of illegal migrants when the pandemic first arrived, and has since been cramming them in prisons to stop them spreading the disease in their overcrowded homes. 

One image taken on a smuggled phone shows migrants lying nearly naked on the floor of a filthy cell with dozens of people crammed into neighbouring rooms. 

In another room, a corpse lay on the floor covered by a blanket after a migrant died of heatstroke - with others allegedly struggling for food and water.  

'It's hell in here. We are treated like animals and beaten every day,' said Abebe, a migrant from Ethiopia. 

'My only crime is leaving my country in search of a better life. But they beat us with whips and electric cords as if we were murderers.'  

Another migrant said that 'we have been left to die here', adding that he had not been outside the area of a school classroom since March

Others said they have received no medical treatment and that filth from the toilets was overflowing into the cells. 

Human rights groups have long warned that prisons are potential disaster zones because of the possible spread of the disease in dirty, confined spaces. 

According to the Sunday Telegraph, one of the prisons is in Al Shumaisi near Mecca, while another is in Jazan near the border with Yemen. 

Those two alone are thought to contain hundreds of people, and there may be more prisoners in other parts of the compound. 

Human Rights Watch said the migrants were being subjected to 'squalid, crowded and dehumanising conditions' at the detention centres. 

A petroleum-rich state such as Saudi Arabia had 'no excuse' for detaining migrants in such conditions, a spokesman said.  

Saudi Arabia's government has not responded to the claims.    

The UN said in April that Saudi Arabia had deported 2,870 Ethiopian migrants to Addis Ababa since the start of the pandemic.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8681787/Inside-Saudi-Arabias-detention-centres-migrants.html

Who send them come? Better countries are there why Saudi Arabia
Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by Uyi168: 9:48pm On Sep 01, 2020
fati2001:
Is there anything like animal being?
Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by Uyi168: 9:49pm On Sep 01, 2020
southniyikaye:
Idiot.
Somehow, somehow, u still look for how to bring Nigeria into this..
Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by fati2001(m): 9:49pm On Sep 01, 2020
Uyi168:
.. Is there anything like animal being?

Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by Nobody: 9:50pm On Sep 01, 2020
Uyi168:
Idiot.
Somehow, somehow, u still look for how to bring Nigeria into this..
direct that insult to your elders at home, they need it more.
Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by Uyi168: 9:51pm On Sep 01, 2020
southniyikaye:
direct that insult to your elders at home, they need it more.
Ewu..

Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by Nobody: 10:49pm On Sep 01, 2020
Uyi168:
Ewu..
still give it to the elders in your lineage since una no wan get sense
Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by RightChannel: 2:44pm On Sep 02, 2020
AgentNairaland:
See how they are treating them like an animal but Allah is merciful and gracious

Yes Allah is merciful and gracious but on one condition
Re: Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres by RightChannel: 2:46pm On Sep 02, 2020
Uyi168:
Is there anything like animal being?

cheesy maybe

(1) (2) (Reply)

Comparison Of Two Jetties, The One In Rivers State And Lagos State / Which Way Nigeria / USA Visa Denied Several Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.