Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,264 members, 7,836,200 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:57 PM

Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants (2742 Views)

Man Shows The Outdoor Camp Occupied By Hundreds Of Nigerians In Dublin (video) / Dunchi Lar, Nigerian Jailed For Tweeting About Her Detention In Dubai Airport / Inside Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by farem: 7:03pm On Sep 01, 2020
INSIDE SAUDI ARABIA'S DETENTION CENTRES WHERE HUNDREDS OF MIGRANTS ARE HELD IN A BID TO PREVENT THE SPREAD OF COVID-19 AND LIE EMACIATED IN SWELTERING CELLS ALONGSIDE CORPSES
• Leaked images show migrants packed into cramped cells in the
searing Gulf heat
• Prisoners say they are 'treated like animals' and beaten with
whips and cords
• Saudi Arabia has detained the migrants after first deporting
thousands of them
Saudi Arabia is locking up African migrants in hellish detention centres to stop them spreading the coronavirus, it has emerged.

Images leaked to the Sunday Telegraph show emaciated migrants packed into cramped cells in the searing Middle East heat.

Prisoners say they are 'treated like animals' by Saudi guards who beat them with whips and electric cords and toss away the bodies of migrants who died of heatstroke or suicide.

Saudi Arabia came under pressure for deporting thousands of illegal migrants when the pandemic first arrived, and has since been cramming them in prisons to stop them spreading the disease in their overcrowded homes.

One image taken on a smuggled phone shows migrants lying nearly naked on the floor of a filthy cell with dozens of people crammed into neighbouring rooms.

In another room, a corpse lay on the floor covered by a blanket after a migrant died of heatstroke - with others allegedly struggling for food and water.

'It's hell in here. We are treated like animals and beaten every day,' said Abebe, a migrant from Ethiopia.

'My only crime is leaving my country in search of a better life. But they beat us with whips and electric cords as if we were murderers.'

Another migrant said that 'we have been left to die here', adding that he had not been outside the area of a school classroom since March.

Others said they have received no medical treatment and that filth from the toilets was overflowing into the cells.

Human rights groups have long warned that prisons are potential disaster zones because of the possible spread of the disease in dirty, confined spaces.

According to the Sunday Telegraph, one of the prisons is in Al Shumaisi near Mecca, while another is in Jazan near the border with Yemen.

Those two alone are thought to contain hundreds of people, and there may be more prisoners in other parts of the compound.

Human Rights Watch said the migrants were being subjected to 'squalid, crowded and dehumanising conditions' at the detention centres.

A petroleum-rich state such as Saudi Arabia had 'no excuse' for detaining migrants in such conditions, a spokesman said.

Saudi Arabia's government has not responded to the claims.

The UN said in April that Saudi Arabia had deported 2,870 Ethiopian migrants to Addis Ababa since the start of the pandemic.

An internal UN memo said Saudi Arabia was expected to deport some 200,000 Ethiopian migrants in total.

However, Riyadh called a temporary halt to the expulsions after coming under pressure from the UN and Ethiopia.

Many of the returning migrants were exploited in Saudi Arabia and required medical attention unrelated to the coronavirus, Ethiopia's health minister said.

US officials estimate that some 100,000 Ethiopians travel illegally to Saudi Arabia every year, lured by the dream of escaping poverty by working as labourers, housekeepers, servants, construction workers and drivers.

The flow of workers has continued despite Riyadh's efforts to pressure companies into hiring more Saudi workers.

Companies with more Saudi employees get preferential treatment, while those with too many foreign workers can face penalties.

The rules are part of a 'Saudization' policy championed by the kingdom's controversial crown prince Mohammed bin Salman.

However, the 12million foreigners who work in the kingdom are often needed for strenuous and lower-paid jobs - while about two-thirds of Saudi workers are employed in the public sector.

Even before the pandemic, deported migrants said Saudi 'police officers' of dubious legitimacy had stolen their money and shared it between them.

Others said they saw compatriots being shot and wounded when they tried to escape police roundups.

Saudi Arabia has officially recorded 314,821 coronavirus cases and 3,870 deaths, making it the worst-affected Middle East country apart from Iran.

In May, Saudi Arabia formed a special police unit to enforce its tough quarantine rules which included a ban on gatherings of more than five people.

However, the rules did not prevent Saudi Arabia from having to scale back the hajj pilgrimage in order to maintain social distancing.

Saudi Arabia's state-owned oil firm Aramco also saw its profits plunge by 50 per cent in the first half of this year.

Oil prices crashed after air travel came to a near-standstill because of the lockdowns imposed by the world's richest nations.

Despite the crown prince's efforts to diversify the economy, Saudi Arabia still depends heavily on oil exports to fuel government spending.

Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by Friendlyjoe: 7:06pm On Sep 01, 2020
Damnn, the grass is not always greener at the other side.

1 Like

Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by tillaman(m): 7:08pm On Sep 01, 2020
Crazy
Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by Arrewa: 7:10pm On Sep 01, 2020
Arabs and racism!

I'm not sterotyping but most Arabs are more racists than Europeans

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by decatalyst(m): 7:12pm On Sep 01, 2020
Arrewa:
Arabs and racism

You can just imagine what a country that portrays herself as housing the "holy city" and the most "just" on earth is perpetrating?

Damn! It is well.

11 Likes

Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by Racoon(m): 7:18pm On Sep 01, 2020
What wickedness! Civilisation is still far from Saudi Arabia.Anyway, Africans & their leaders are doing more worst things.Perhaps the imperialists really need to re-colonize the continent.

1 Like

Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by Ikeast(m): 7:19pm On Sep 01, 2020
Everybody should better stay in his/her country to avoid intimidation............
Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by farem: 7:33pm On Sep 01, 2020
decatalyst:

You can just imagine what a country that portrays herself as housing the "holy city" and the most "just" on earth is perpetrating?

Damn! It is well.

I bet you 99% of these unfortunate guys are Muslims or professing to be.
Despite this, these 'holy' place and her people still regards them as monkeys. No wonder their book considers the blacks as prone more to be in hell fire.
Black moslems are the most deluded of all

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by NkemChukwudi: 7:43pm On Sep 01, 2020
Racoon:
What wickedness! Civilisation is still far from Saudi Arabia.Anyway, Africans & their leaders are doing more worst things.Perhaps the imperialists really need to re-colonize the continent.

Bitter foolish souls.

Africa is ffked because of weak useless men

If the imperialist come back they will not leave again. Instead they will gas you all, collect your land and rewrite history like you never existed before.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by illicit(m): 7:55pm On Sep 01, 2020
So much for monarchy
Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by davillian(m): 8:15pm On Sep 01, 2020
A country that still sees black people as slave
What do u xpect...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by Vulcanheph(m): 8:55pm On Sep 01, 2020
I'll bet you most of those africans you see there are Pilgrims going for the hajj.......

1 Like

Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by kemicalreact: 9:21pm On Sep 01, 2020
farem:

I bet you 99% of these unfortunate guys are Muslims or professing to be.
Despite this, these 'holy' place and her people still regards them as monkeys. No wonder their book considers the blacks as prone more to be in hell fire.
Black moslems are the most deluded of all
Refer me to a source for this.

1 Like

Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by Uyi168: 9:46pm On Sep 01, 2020
Arrewa:
Arabs and racism!

When it comes to racism and hatred for blacks, Europeans dey learn for where Arabs there..

1 Like

Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by Arrewa: 9:54pm On Sep 01, 2020
Uyi168:
When it comes to racism and hatred for blacks, Europeans dey learn for where Arabs there..
too bad
Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by Vyzz: 10:45pm On Sep 01, 2020
Just avoid all these ASIAN continents...

The can racist for planet earth.

Check China

India
Arab
Japan
Philippines

Infact list them...

Just list them... They all in Asia

3 Likes

Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by clintonsparkz(m): 11:32pm On Sep 01, 2020
This is terrible, the United nation needs to act fast on this, no one deserves such treatment, No one... terrible.

1 Like

Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by omowolewa: 12:03am On Sep 02, 2020
What's this
Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by Nova1988(m): 2:22am On Sep 02, 2020
Arrewa:
Arabs and racism!

Walahi, when I went for Hajj I was disappointed
Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by DSoj(m): 3:11am On Sep 02, 2020
And some people will still go to that shitt hole to pray to one god. Rubbish
Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by Onyenna(m): 5:50am On Sep 02, 2020
Nke a gwuru ike....
Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by TheChameleon: 8:05am On Sep 02, 2020
Arrewa:
Arabs and racism!

I gotta agree with you.

I have friends who have gone to Saudi and they confirmed that Arabs hate Blacks even more than Caucasians.

3 Likes

Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by Nobody: 8:21am On Sep 02, 2020
PEOPLE ne dey hear say those places no be ABROAD or Oversea
Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by Nobody: 9:09am On Sep 02, 2020
hahaha.
When is the next Hajj ?
Make we go.
Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by farem: 9:13am On Sep 02, 2020
davillian:
A country faith that still sees black people as slave
What do u xpect...
Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by rationalhuman(m): 9:40am On Sep 02, 2020
What Holy?

The same Holy religion that allows Slavery? Irony is that Millions of Blacks follows the same religion(a mindset) that Justifies the Slavery.

Black men never learn from Past, Else no one would follow Religion especially this Same one originated from Arabs that allows the slavery.

decatalyst:

Damn! It is well.
Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by farem: 1:15pm On Sep 02, 2020
kemicalreact:
Refer me to a source for this.
(Âl 'Imran 3:106)
And on the Day of Resurrection thou (Muhammad) seest those who lied concerning Allah with their faces blackened. Is not the home of the scorners in hell? (Az-Zumar 39:60)

There are some hadiths that link black skin and creation with judgment day:

Abu Darda' reported God's messenger as saying, "God created Adam when He created him and struck his right shoulder and brought forth his offspring white like small ants. And he struck his left shoulder and brought forth his offspring BLACK as though they were charcoal. Then He said to the party on his right said, 'To paradise, and I do not care', and He said to the party in his left shoulder 'To hell, and I do not care'." Ahmad transmitted it. (Mishkat Al Masabih,
Re: Leaked Photos Of Saudi Arabia's Detention Centres Of Hundreds Of Migrants by kemicalreact: 2:26pm On Sep 02, 2020
farem:

(Âl 'Imran 3:106)
And on the Day of Resurrection thou (Muhammad) seest those who lied concerning Allah with their faces blackened. Is not the home of the scorners in hell? (Az-Zumar 39:60)

q ;DThere are some hadiths that link black skin and creation with judgment day:

Abu Darda' reported God's messenger as saying, "God created Adam when He created him and struck his right shoulder and brought forth his offspring white like small ants. And he struck his left shoulder and brought forth his offspring BLACK as though they were charcoal. Then He said to the party on his right said, 'To paradise, and I do not care', and He said to the party in his left shoulder 'To hell, and I do not care'." Ahmad transmitted it. (Mishkat Al Masabih,
. LMFAO grin grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Saskatchewan Polytechnic Student.....connect / Liechtenstein / Ikeja City Mall, A Delightful Grandeur

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.