Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos (10579 Views)

Foreign Movies Copied Into The Nigerian Home Videos / Will Nigerian Home Videos Run Out Of Titles? / Osoufia in London: Nigerian Home Video/VCD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by Busta(f): 5:47pm On Apr 04, 2006
Nigeria Movies got too much flaws but the ones that get under my skin are:
- same look years later
- they keep using " 2 days later", "2 months later", 2 years later" 2 centuries later" etc
- imagine when acting and someone is trying to call her friend or her father and she just finished dialling the number and is like hello? can u hear me? they didn't even give it time to ring.
- watched a movie where Ini Edo called Oge (Okoye) by her real name and it wasn't even edited
- everybody talkin at once, esp in those 2 short boys movies, everybody is taking at the same time and screaming
- too much flash back
- sleeping with make up, rita domnic does that a lot
- all the movies now have pt 2, half of the pt 1 is brought up or shown again in pt 2
- the new thing i notice now is that they wear lots of eye shadow, and the worst is that it looks as they use lipsticks as shadows
- use of same words in all movies, like " CAN U IMAGINE, ARE U TALKING TO ME, FOR CHRIST SAKE, I MUST MARRY HIM/HER,
- ever tried watch a Nigeria Horror movie?, its all like a computer game, too much computer graphics

can go on and on and on.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by snazzydawn(f): 3:47pm On Apr 05, 2006
yea,and also when they say 20 years ago,you will see a honda accord and the dressing does not change.Even the houses look so like 2006 houses.I could pick it to pieces
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by HORAK(m): 1:01pm On Apr 06, 2006
a sense of perfection brings good quality. the issue of carrying on the same headstyle and nails have to do with characterisation of the cast/actor. if u got to play a character, be the character.
example (permit my hollywood standard,well, they are the best)watch out for Jeffrey Wrights the character of Peoples Fernandes in Singleton's SHAFT.He is a black but convincingly acts out a latino.That is extensive character study (or check out Don Cheadle's accent for the movie HOTEL RWANDA). Filmakers have to be conscious of every fact in a story line to avoid too much goofs if they are to be taken for real.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by chad(m): 6:24pm On Apr 19, 2006
well 4 starters almost all nigerian films r predictable u'll just know wat 'll happen at d end witout thinkin bou it.

then wat is it wit d directors?y can't they make sure scenes r acted out professionally? take hospital scenes 4 eg, d

exams r neva properly done n dressins r always soaked wit blood even if d patient has been in hospital 4 a

week shocked they should solicit d help of real doctors 4 training n stop disgracin our practice.

arrest r also made only on cicumstantial evidences not hard evidences n thier court cases potrayal embarassed i bet i can do

beta than thier actors in dat dept. i'll advice film producers 2constantly watch foreign movies 2 learn 1 or 2 things.

d predictability thing just takes d fun out of da whole thing.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by reniks(f): 8:47pm On Apr 19, 2006
For the Yoruba films the subtitles are so embarrassing.Is it that difficult to get people who can interprete the two languages competently?The grammar,spelling and interpretation is wack.The accident scenes are so unrealistic,u get people jumping on top of the car or falling down even before the car gets near them.There is also the issue of bystanders.People of the environment where some scenes are shot are seen standing and watching,it makes it more unrealistic.The list of flaws is endless.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by Nobody: 3:48pm On May 12, 2006
this is one juicy topic!let me start from subtitles.i live in an english evironment ,i was once forced to show a nigerian movie to my colleagues,a yoruba movie.it was so badly subtitiled that they had to tune to a cable channel halfway 'cos of the poor english. embarassed
also,stars like baba suwe still look at the camera while acting out a part.
how about watching part 2 of all these meaningless english[ibo] movies and seing, the story has just begun,watchout for the concluding saga grin
too many adverts!,yoruba movies are worse,they have adverts in disc one,two and three.
poorly directed,fake accents,bad story lines, too predictable,bad costumiers,illitrate producers and editors,same hairstyle for ten years, some manage to use scarf or cap to cover the hairstyle they will be carrying in the next ten years, i could go on and on!ask me if i watch them,i do cos they make me laugh!
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by Nobody: 4:11pm On May 12, 2006
i hate to say this but watching naija home videos just reminds me of how bad our judicial system is ,because i believe they act out what they see in nigerian courts of law!poor or no forensic ivestigation,messing with crime scenes,no finger printing. They need to watch CSI[crime scene ivestigation],forensic files and american movies with court scenes,they carry out investigations thoroughly.well,i guess this is just all we can have for now.but we are still better other african countries.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by GUNNER(f): 1:30am On May 18, 2006
VERDAMMT!

TOO MANY FLAWS
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by sweetlife: 1:46pm On May 22, 2006
A person has an accident. the car hits him on the leg.he doesnt bleed on d legs instead t he head bleeds and t he dressing is always soaked with blood that looks like zobo.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by Genial(m): 12:14pm On May 23, 2006
I've got only one thing to say. . .

DOCTORS QUARTERS!!!

grin
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by chad(m): 8:36pm On Jun 03, 2006
u know ppl should seriously start 2 whip d butts naija movie producers n editors. i wonder if they watch those movies at all b/4 sending them out. i'm really tired of mentioning flaws. i'll just fry them alive if i should really get on teir case. hope they REALLY IMPROVE is all i can say 4 now. GOSH angry embarassed cry
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by lunafish(f): 10:53am On Jun 04, 2006
When Amercan slang is used; it's always old. e.g. Beautiful faces, one dollar

Only 1% of raped women go to the police e.g. Stephanie Okereke in Last Girl Standing

If there are lesbians; someone must die or be ostracised. e.g The Comforter, women affair

Something bad always happens to the virgin. e.g. Promise me forever, critical decision

Mothers tell their twentysomething daughters to marry a man, any man, no matter how much of a b*astard he is. e.g. Romantic attraction
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by howddy4(f): 4:42pm On Jun 04, 2006
just too many,
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by BigShishi(m): 10:47pm On Jul 17, 2006
they aint flaws, they just 'nigerian'
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by Rhodalyn(f): 10:49pm On Jul 17, 2006
word Shishi!
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by 4Play(m): 10:50pm On Jul 17, 2006
Everything is wrong with Nigerian movies.In fact i prefer sticking my manhood into a bee's nest than watching a Nigerian movie
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by mukina2: 10:52pm On Jul 17, 2006
hmmmmm shocked shocked shocked shocked 4play do it den the bees will enjoy that tongue tongue
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by clocky(m): 10:01pm On Aug 05, 2006
mukina2:

hmmmmm shocked shocked shocked shocked 4play do it den the bees will enjoy that tongue tongue
its a form of 4play for 4play u know grin
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by mukina2: 11:03pm On Aug 05, 2006
lmaooooooooooo grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by mrmetoo(m): 4:32pm On Aug 06, 2006
1) Time - Way too muh time is wasted (showing a couple grocery shopping for example and showing them paying and loading the car and the car backing out)
2) Grammatical Errors - Forget the phonee they try to speak, simple errors are not even corrected. Its funny no one could have corrected the actor/actress.
3) Budget - I think to maximize profit some producers distribute their budget over a number of movies therefore compromising quality instead of investing the money in one movie with great quality and story line. Thats the reason Ego Boyo started producing her own movies (I Think).
4) Sound & Picture Quality - Lets not get started
5) Behind the Scenes People - I think we have a couple of very good actors but behind the scenes guys r wack from directors to camera men.
6) Previews - OMG!!! Someone described them earlier it starts with some kinda disturbing sound like that and then a man yelling. Are we not creative enough to make better previews, everybody had to stick with the wackest way of selling anything (yelling).
7) Number of movies that come out - There are so many movies out at the same time that you tend to miss the good ones admist rubbish because its like one good movie in 20 releases. So for me its really hard to pick out good movies so i don't bother watching them except someone recommends them.

We've come this far and we still have so many flaws. Although people from other parts of Africa enjoy some of them, we should have improved so much more. The sad thing is they can't criticize our movies because some of these countries don't even produce movies compared to Nigerian ones but its still sometimes embarassing.They should really stop making secondary school plays and start making MOVIES. What happened to movies like Violated and Rattle Snake. Why didn't they follow in their footsteps instead they all followed in the footsteps of movies like Blood money (going back to the beginning). I still love a number of them though
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by omogenaija(f): 7:22pm On Aug 06, 2006
i love the way u can hear the director during the moving telling the actors what to do lipsrsealed
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by wanks(m): 11:22pm On Aug 07, 2006
undecided also to add to the constand repetition of story lines there is also the absence of the aesthetic aspects of literature which thus makes the plays or drama,s very boring. It is like the film directors and writers have, all ran out of their various stocks of written materials and seem to be more interested in exploiting their consumers. How can a single play of just one a.b.c. storyline run from part one to three with numerous unnecessary scenes as well as constand repetition of scenes;not going to quote examples,with each part produced within the same period and of numerous flashbacks running within its part two and three be expected to be given the qualities of a movie plus each part sold at the same price, of which some parts last for not up to twenty minutes;posing as another great problem be sold to a matured public like that of the Nigerian and the rest of other African societies watching them. Buying them doesn.t all mean we adore them but expecting an improvement from the movie industry and to prove to the world we could produce and enjoy our own products[not ponograhpic stuff] but ironically, the progression is moving backwards. There ougth to be some positive change, being Blacks doesn,t mean we were born with some retardness.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by Ebano(m): 3:28am On Aug 11, 2006
Most times the instrumental back ground music can be horrific, wierd,  and a piercing sound that will make your ears want to fall off . Also the sound quality can be so poor that you can hardly hear what the actors are saying and  most times there is no synchrony between the lips of the actor and the spoken words, you will see the lips moving and hear the words several seconds later.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by soulpatrol(f): 6:19pm On Aug 11, 2006
the one that gets me the most is the volume of sound at the beginning. they play it so loud it can make you go deaf, even when your tv volume is low! what rubbish.  shocked
they beging the movie by announcing the marketers of the movie and where you can buy it
for ex. goes something like this:

watch 2 rats blah blah blah, marketed by no.1 ebinpejo lane, idumota lagos blah blah blah, grab your copy NOW! followed by the most annoying shrill noise/sound effect

that shit cracks me up.
grin grin grin grin
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by soulpatrol(f): 6:29pm On Aug 11, 2006
are nigerian movies just dramas, hence the name home videos? i dont understand. you would think they would have changed their style and appeal to a wider audience after coming this far? i always feel like im watching a school play.

the movie directors/producers make me sick because the way they portray this poor acting, outsiders would think nigerians have low IQs or something. when in fact nigerians are one of the smartest people i know. they put out mediocre movies all in the name of trying to appeal to the average nigerian. newsflash - the average nigerian aint stupid!!!!!!!  we actually like watching a movie that will challenge our minds and keep us guessing
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by neelsel(f): 12:30am On Aug 14, 2006
A Prophet has no honour in its own land,
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by omogenaija(f): 12:34am On Aug 14, 2006
i'm a huge fan or yoruba movies,
but yesterday i saw something that broke my heart embarassed embarassed

i notice that the movie had the same exact scene as another movie
i was embrassed and ashamed to have anything to do with nigeria

but now, i'm back to loving naija sha, thats where i come from
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by soulpatrol(f): 3:55pm On Aug 14, 2006
yeah still gotta love that country even with all our rubbish movies.

keep the flaws coming though! grin
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by EmemJU(f): 5:50pm On Aug 14, 2006
What do u think about using a mobile phone in Nigeria in 1990? Nigerian films are more like high school drama. I believe we'l get somewhere with time.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by tomi29: 2:55am On Aug 15, 2006
They always use fake flowers and sometimes they even sniff the flowers like they are real.
The hospital scenes are always annoying - all it takes to diagnose an ailment is a stethoscope.
The court scenes- I just hate watching those
The sex scenes esp. if its in the living room- both parties always have their clothes on - I mean fully clothed with the belts all buckled and to make matters worse you hear the moaning.
The actors trying to sing e.g Pat Attah in 'I want my money" - the guy can't sing to save his life
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by soulpatrol(f): 2:18pm On Aug 15, 2006
a lot of the flaws are things they can avoid, they are just not interested in fixing them because they want quick money and to be able to shoot movies in a short period of time. i mean, you have to invest in something (e.g. time and money)before anything good can come out of it. i hope all that nonsense they call movies change.

so many times i try to get my non-nigerian friends to watch our movies, but they get confused and bored just after a few minutes. isnt that just sad?

in movies, people want to see the build up of suspense not to know whats going to happen the very next minute. thats why movies like "the shinning" are classics. even years later, people still cant fully understand the movie. so many interpretations of it. thats what makes a good movie. one that stimulates your brain. are we ever going to get there? i dont know, but i hope so. in that case, we gots a long long way to go.

a good movie doesnt have to be all action or horror, it just has to have a good story line. all that making naija movies for the average naija person is just bull. nigerians are smart people, we like watching movies that stimulate our minds, not the one we can forget as soon as its over. haba!

the producers/directors need to take classes or something to enable them make better movies. so do the actors. seems like they just pick anyone off the streets and put them in a movie. what crap! sad
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by enugu(f): 9:51pm On Aug 25, 2006
@ IAH
1. They advertise by screaming and shouting; "Ori eja! Ori eja!! Ori eja!!! Suspense! Action!! Thrilling!!! Ori Eja! Now on [b]F[/b]ideo and [b]F[/b]iCD. Ori eja!!! Grap your copy NOWWWW!!!

D grin grin grin grin grin grin Abeg IAH no kill me o!!!! [b]F[/b]ideo and [b]F[/b]iCd!!! That's a good one. My stomach is hurting from so much laughter. What of those special effect sounds they make when advertising their films?  lipsrsealed Indescribable grin grin

Where does one begin

1) Is it the 30mins previews of other films before the main film, or

2) the shouting during the previews, or

3) the village woman coming from the farm with well-manicured nails, or

4) the 'returnee' who's accent leaves you with a permanent headache, or

5)  the problems that are allowed to linger until in the end some half-baked 'pastor' comes in and 'prays' it all away, or

6) the unbelievable wigs and head-pieces which remind you of the proverbial 'ojuju-kalabar' (and to my fellow Cross Riverians/ Akwa-Ibomites, no offence intended) or,

7) the multi-colouredness of almost all the actresses (both English and Yoruba) and in some cases, actors, that leave you wondering if you have to be light-skinned to act. Most time those 'skin of many colours' tends to hurt the eye.

I could go on and on but suffice it to say cry cry  However, afterall said and done, I AM A NOLLYWOOD MOVIE ADDICT shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Screenwriter, Tomi Adesina Accuses Irokotv Of “swings” Copyright Infringement / Netflix Vs Amazon Prime Video - My Honest Opinion / Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards.Tinseltown reviews & Gossip (PT2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.