Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,495 members, 7,836,933 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize (912 Views)

Niger Crisis: Cow, Sheep Shortage Looms As Border Closure Bites Harder / Nigeria Approves $26 Million For Power Projects In Borno, Yobe & Adamawa States / Nigeria Approves $2 Billion Bakassi Deep Seaport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by ivandragon: 7:43am On Sep 04, 2020
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has granted approval to four agro-processing companies to import 262,000 tons of maize and corn in the bid to complement an anticipated shortfall of the commodity in the country.

This was disclosed in an internal memo of the Nigeria Customs Service seen by this newspaper. The memo dated August 6, 2020, was endorsed by the deputy comptroller–general, T.M Isa (Tariff and Trade), which also was confirmed to this newspaper by the service’s public relations officer, Joseph Attah.

“In line with government policy on food security, sufficiency and striking a balance between food imports and local production capacities to meet anticipated shortfall, the Central Bank of Nigeria has granted approval for the underlisted companies to import maize in the quantities stated below,” the memo reads.

According to the memo with reference number: NCS/T&T/I&E/021/S.93/VOL, the apex bank granted approval to Wacot and Chi Farms Limited to import maize of 60,000 tons each, while Crown Flour Mills and Premier Feed Mills Company Limited will be importing maize of 22,000 and 120,000 tons respectively, within the period of these months (August, September and October).

“Note, approval is strictly for the four (4) companies listed above and stemmed to the months of August, September and October only,” the memo said.

“Given the clarification, all CACs are directed to note the companies, approved quantity, duration and jerque accordingly, ”

“Please be guided,” it concluded.

Nigeria’s maize importation
Data obtained from the United State Department of Agriculture (USDA), which was analysed by PREMIUM TIMES shows that Nigeria imported its second-largest volume of maize in a decade in 2019, maintaining the same level it recorded the previous year, despite calls by farmers for a restriction on the importation of the cereal.

The analysis shows that Nigeria imported 400,000 tons of maize in 2019, as it did in 2018, which is the second-highest volume imported by the country since 2009.

The highest was recorded in 2016 when 650,000 tons of maize was imported by the country.

However, Nigeria’s annual need for maize is estimated at 15 million metric tons while the country’s local production is 10.5 million tons.

Reactions
A day after the report by this newspaper, on July 14, the CBN announced the ban of maize importation in an effort to boost local production.

Meanwhile, weeks after the CBN stopped the issuance of forex for the importation of maize, the Premium Times Centre for Investigative Journalism (PTCIJ), conducted a market survey in Abuja and Akwa Ibom State.

Findings from the survey showed that the prices of poultry and fish feed have increased across the country.

Traders and farmers who spoke with PREMIUM TIMES attributed the hike in prices to the scarcity and sudden increase in the cost of the grain.

Dangote adbanner 728x90_2 (1)
According to the survey, a 25kg bag of poultry feed called ‘starter’, that sold for N4,000 before, had risen to N4,200, while the feed meant for older birds, called ‘finisher’, was then sold for N4,000 from the previous price of N3700.

Also, a 15kg bag of Nigerian-made fish feed that sold for N7500 for 2mm, before the announcement of the policy, had increased to N8,100.

Similarly, the same amount of fish feed for 3mm fish size had increased from N6,300 to N7,500, while its 9mm equivalent had increased to N5,000 from N3,900.

As at 10:43 a.m Thursday, Isaac Okoroafor, the CBN spokesperson, could not be reached, as calls to his known phone number kept saying “the number you’ve dialed is switched off” repeatedly. Also, WhatsApp messages sent did not indicate the double tick delivery notification.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/agriculture/agric-news/412263-as-food-shortage-looms-nigeria-approves-emergency-importation-of-maize.html

2 Likes

Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by ivandragon: 7:44am On Sep 04, 2020

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by Nobody: 7:47am On Sep 04, 2020
This government is a bad luck to Nigeria, I swear

1 Like

Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by Nobody: 7:49am On Sep 04, 2020
Maize?I'll just be observing sha.
Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by hisgrace090: 8:00am On Sep 04, 2020
Every food is scarce in Nigeria today.

1 Like

Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by Deborah98(f): 8:00am On Sep 04, 2020
The guy above me e shock you grin, lolzzzzz na so we see am, this country is....I refuse to make a derogatory statement this early morning instead Nigeria will rise again.
Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by ThatFairGuy1: 8:07am On Sep 04, 2020
[s]
EastGold:
This government is a bad luck to Nigeria, I swear
[/s]
Do you even read what is there? DON'T DISGRACE YOURSELF HERE. Dedicate 2mins to read through
Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by ThatFairGuy1: 8:10am On Sep 04, 2020
Now rationale behind the indefinite rise of poultry feeds is known. THIS MEASURE SHOULD BE DO AWAY WITH IN THIS CRISIS ( PANDEMIC)
Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by Cyberterror: 8:13am On Sep 04, 2020
Nigeria has no business importing food. There isn't any drought because even Katsina and Jigawa states are witnessing flooding in their urban areas as a result of excessive rainfall. If indeed there is a shortfall like the report said, then it must have been caused by the marauding herdsmen who have chased many farmers away from their farms. Herdsmen should be designated a national security threat just like Ipob and boko haram.
Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by Lipscomb(m): 8:28am On Sep 04, 2020
Where they want to import maize from?they are just looking for another way to steal money.
Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by hisgrace090: 8:41am On Sep 04, 2020
Cyberterror:
Nigeria has no business importing food. There isn't any drought because even Katsina and Jigawa states are witnessing flooding in their urban areas as a result of excessive rainfall. If indeed there is a shortfall like the report said, then it must have been caused by the marauding herdsmen who have chased many farmers away from their farms. Herdsmen should be designated a national security threat just like Ipob and boko haram.

All because of your one plot of land farm ehh?
Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by obami007(m): 8:42am On Sep 04, 2020
We want to import corn? Corn o

Corn that grows everywhere in this country even on sandy soil.

It is well

1 Like

Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by SocialJustice: 8:45am On Sep 04, 2020
ThatFairGuy1:
[s][/s]
Do you even read what is there? DON'T DISGRACE YOURSELF HERE. Dedicate 2mins to read through
But the government policies are bad. Buhari needs to stop banning importation for goods that we can't produce locally yet. Ordinary ice fish is now gold. Corn and rice has followed. His economic policies are bad. Despite border shut down, Nigeria's trade deficit is N1.8 Trillion. Who is he deceiving. God will save us by 2023.

I honestly can't wait for the day I will leave this country and just experience a functioning society even if it is for 3 years before I return. Hopefully, I won't return.
Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by ThatFairGuy1: 8:58am On Sep 04, 2020
SocialJustice:
But the government policies are bad. Buhari needs to stop banning importation for goods that we can't produce locally yet. Ordinary ice fish is now gold. Corn and rice has followed. His economic policies are bad. Despite border shut down, Nigeria's trade deficit is N1.8 Trillion. Who is he deceiving. God will save us by 2023.

I honestly can't wait for the day I will leave this country and just experience a functioning society even if it is for 3 years before I return. Hopefully, I won't return.
We all know how importation affects our economy NEGATIVELY. If we want a saner Nigeria where everything works well, one of the essence is border closure which will boast local production.
What I realize is MOST Educated Nigerians are not ready to farm(though of recent, some Nigerians have ventured into farming business but not enough) and the little produce, Government is not controlling the price.

In all odds, All these will be forgone in years to come. We're all feeling the heat but it's a sacrifice we ought to give for Nigeria to be capable of producing at least larger percentage of what they eats.

Those that have money should practice mechanize farming or use labourers to farm as well as livestocks. All Nigerian houses should have at least GARDEN. All these will cushion the effect of food shortage

A NATION THAT CAN'T FEED ITSELF WILL ALWAYS BE SUBSERVIENT TO OTHERS
Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by Abasman008(m): 8:59am On Sep 04, 2020
Do you still believe in this country?

International travels were banned but officials of a place l call home will look for the slightest reason to leave on a plane owned and fueled by tax payers.
All cowards can do is cry.... But each time they go online they head for bb9ja instead of using those phones to protest ... oh coward generation fathered by a failed coward generation....

I refuse to be a coward,
I refuse to run,

#joinTheMovement now... quote me
Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by Nobody: 9:06am On Sep 04, 2020
Develop seeds ...develop seeds ...if u can't contract companies to do it what's hard there ?

Countries are making 12 tons of corn per hectare ....our farmers can't even grow 2 tons

Countries get 10 tons per hectare of rice and plant 3 times a year ...we can't even guarantee 2 tons and twice a year farming

Countries are getting 3 tons of soy per hectare we can't even get 1 ...

Cassava we still get 10 tons when we can get 50 tons and dominate the starch and glucose market in the world

This is this problem u keep using seeds that are 100 years old ....seeds in 2020 are design for a specific region and climate

E be like say I dey crazy na buhari I expect to know all this one
Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by SocialJustice: 9:18am On Sep 04, 2020
ThatFairGuy1:

We all know how importation affects our economy NEGATIVELY. If we want a saner Nigeria where everything works well, one of the essence is border closure which will boast local production.
What I realize is MOST Educated Nigerians are not ready to farm(though of recent, some Nigerians have ventured into farming business but not enough) and the little produce, Government is not controlling the price.

In all odds, All these will be forgone in years to come. We're all feeling the heat but it's a sacrifice we ought to give for Nigeria to be capable of producing at least larger percentage of what they eats.

Those that have money should practice mechanize farming or use labourers to farm as well as livestocks. All Nigerian houses should have at least GARDEN. All these will cushion the effect of food shortage

You don't stimulate self sufficiency by closing borders, the better way is to produce local alternatives that are cheaper and better than the imported ones. Eventually, import will cease but who farms today? Do you have a crop farm? There is no local government in Nigeria today where herdsmen have not gone to turn people's crops into cow feed. If the herdsmen issue is not settled, nobody will seriously invest in farming especially the vulnerable crops of rice and maize.

There is also another problem of Nigerians preferring foreign products to locally made, the greed of middlemen. The wickedness of the average Nigerian.

We keep saying we want this country to be self sufficient, do top policy makers and politicians patronise made in Nigeria? Do they put themselves in a position where their bad policies affect them directly?

In case you do not know, there is a very high chance that once or twice every month, a presidential jet is sent to london to shop for what the first family eats and that sort of habit trickles down from top to bottom.

Nigeria has fundamental issues, the educational system is where the correction should start and we won't see results for at least 10 years but unfortunately nothing is being done. All politicians think about is getting into office to steal and pretend as if they are governing.

Look at Buhari, the man has borrowed more in 5 years than all the governments since 1999 to consume, not even to invest, excess crude account is gone. Nothing to show. Now the price of fuel has gone up and will continue going up as crude oil price increases. So also will food stuff, the last inflation rate for food stuff was 15%, by year ending inflation will be close to 50% total. It is a curse to be born Nigerian. Can't someone just wake up in the morning and hear good news? The countries being properly governed, are they being governed by gods, are their leaders not humans too.

1 Like

Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by Racoon(m): 9:22am On Sep 04, 2020
The lied about the nation's self sufficiency in food production but alas it remains the usual lies and propaganda they have been ruling the nation with.

They went to borrow grain from ECOWAS to feed who? They closed borders but local production is nothing to write home about.The only refreshing thing about the APC government is the frankness of its dishonesty.
A government that thrives & lives on lies/propaganda will also die of lies & propaganda.

2 Likes

Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by Nobody: 10:06am On Sep 04, 2020
obami007:
We want to import corn? Corn o

Corn that grows everywhere in this country even on sandy soil.

It is well

We all complain...complain and complain
Did you have any maize farm? I bet the answer is no.
Everyone in this country leaves what should be done and what we do is complain.
What do you think will happen when no one wants to farm?
Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 10:17am On Sep 04, 2020
Maize importation was banned in July while these four companies were granted approval to import maize in August. Check the owners/directors of these four companies and you’ll know that true true, this life no balance especially if you’re from the wrong tribe and religion in Nigeria cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by obami007(m): 11:37am On Sep 04, 2020
ruffbamreal:

We all complain...complain and complain
Did you have any maize farm? I bet the answer is no.
Everyone in this country leaves what should be done and what we do is complain.
What do you think will happen when no one wants to farm?

You want people to go and farm then get killed by herdsmen right?

God bless you sir
Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by popez: 12:12pm On Sep 04, 2020
ThatFairGuy1:

How do you farm when you're likely to be killed by marauding fulani men?

1 Like

Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by CornerBot: 12:13pm On Sep 04, 2020
Crazy goverment
Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by GamalNasser: 12:16pm On Sep 04, 2020
When we said Buhari was lying about his agricultural growth stats we know what we were saying ...now wind don blow fowl Nyash ..Nigeria is now importing maize ... All the communities that farm maize in the north have been overun by Fulanis militia clearly back by the mad man
Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by MarrisManah(m): 1:06pm On Sep 04, 2020
ThatFairGuy1:

I always get mad when people make idealist statements like yours and try to make excuses for the government.
Which country does not import? Which one? We have government agencies tasked with ensuring that the imported products meets certain level of quality before they enter the country but what happens..? Yet you see junks and substandard products everywhere... We see imported stew, Pizza, rice... And the only thing you hear is a blanket ban!

A reasonable government is that which knows the right person to hang when things go wrong. The customs boss is still there, son, nafdac etc...
A government can't force people to farm or even do any other jobs for that matter. People only need enabling business environment to thrive. How readily available are lands for farmers, improved varieties of crops, cost of fertilizers, available machineries for hire....?

Are the "educated youths" aware of the availability of these things in case they are available? And what's the government doing in making them aware? Business is profit driven- people will rush into farming when they feel it's highly profitable.

And there's no where in the world where everyone own a garden or produce their own food. Everyone can't be hard working and those that have money can't be told how to use their money. This is a real world.
One of the reasons I supported PMB was cause he said he'll assemble a team of competent hands to help run the country when elected- something I felt the previous administration lacked. But alas, every post is still occupied by politicians making decisions to suit their political interests.
Seriously, it's frustrating.
Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by byinks(f): 1:26pm On Sep 04, 2020
SocialJustice:

He know all this.
Don't be bullied by BMC agents.
Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by SocialJustice: 1:32pm On Sep 04, 2020
byinks:

He know all this.
Don't be bullied by BMC agents.
Lol, I do the bullying, people can't bully me.
Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:04pm On Sep 04, 2020
SocialJustice:
Lol, I do the bullying, people can't bully me.
Trust me bro the next president of Nigeria will make buhari look like a saint. They have already started fronting el rufai small small.
Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by SocialJustice: 2:05pm On Sep 04, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Trust me bro the next president of Nigeria will make buhari look like a saint. They have already started fronting el rufai small small.
Lol, El-Rufai can never be Nigeria's president. That wicked religious midget.
Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:08pm On Sep 04, 2020
SocialJustice:
Lol, El-Rufai can never be Nigeria's president. That wicked religious midget.
That's what they said with buhari and it happened. Nigeria has no future. Just find ways to japa if you can't japa no born pikin.
Re: As Food Shortage Looms, Nigeria Approves Emergency Importation Of Maize by SocialJustice: 2:17pm On Sep 04, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

That's what they said with buhari and it happened. Nigeria has no future. Just find ways to japa if you can't japa no born pikin.
You're free to believe what you want.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Only God Knows We're She Is Now / US Elections: Biden Overtakes Trump In Georgia / Abduction Of Katsina School Boys Is A Slap On Buhari's Face - Soyinka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.