Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,537 members, 7,958,656 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 07:51 PM

Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? (1010 Views)

Why Some Nigerian Men Are Not Biological Fathers Of Their Children – Psychologis / How Do I Apologize To My Wife? / Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by mariahAngel(f): 11:09pm On Sep 05, 2020
Someone asked me the above question, and I just laughed before I could even reason what to answer grin
You know how it is with parents na, they're always right ...especially Nigerian dads cheesy

So, as a parent, can you apologize to your child if you found out you were wrong about an issue?
Did your parents ever apologize to you after a wrong accusation?

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Sep 05, 2020
smiley

Yeah. I think they should. So, the child doesn't develop hatred for them.

My Mum did that a lot. Once she realized she was wrong, she'll immediately apologize. Hug you, call you pet names and that's it. But dad would not (as a force man) apologize outrightly but he'll stylishly do it by taking us to eateries or the beach. If he's not chanced, he'll dash you money. grin that way we know he's trying to make up.

I do it too ( even though I'm not a parent yet) If I found out I was wrong about a child, I'll apologize. Like the day I asked a question in Class suddenly from a topic we've treated (cos they were making a background noise) no body could answer. So, I went on a flogging spree and flogged a new girl who just joined then i remembered she wasn't around when we treated the topic. I felt bad when I saw her crying and apologized to her in front of the class. And other instances too.

I think every parent should.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Sep 05, 2020
No. Parents are perfect. Children are not meant to perceive any form of weakness from their parents. If they are wrong, life moves on! No be today!
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by flyingpig: 11:22pm On Sep 05, 2020
mikezuruki:
No. Parents are perfect. Children are not meant to perceive any form of weakness from their parents. If they are wrong, life moves on! No be today!
hmm. You could be teaching them not to apologize when they too are wrong.

3 Likes

Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by PlayerMeji: 11:22pm On Sep 05, 2020
How will they express it?

Where will the children be sitting when the parents are making the apologetic statements.

For your information, there are Parents and there are African Parents... Don't mistaken them for each other.

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by yvelchstores(f): 11:26pm On Sep 05, 2020
Yes, you should apologize to your child if you are wrong. If you will teach the children humility, you must show it

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by mariahAngel(f): 11:40pm On Sep 05, 2020
PlayerMeji:
How will they express it?

Where will the children be sitting when the parents are making the apologetic statements.

For your information, there are Parents and there are African Parents... Don't mistaken them for each other.

Did either of your parents ever apologize to you after accusing or punishing you wrongly?
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by PlayerMeji: 11:58pm On Sep 05, 2020
I am the product of African parents so your guess is as good as my answer..

mariahAngel:

Did either of your parents ever apologize to you after accusing or punishing you wrongly?
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by GboyegaD(m): 2:00am On Sep 06, 2020
Yes they should when they realize they are wrong.

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by Gloriagee(f): 6:49am On Sep 06, 2020
Yeah, I do. It's one way of enforcing good manners are passed on.

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by dahmie2013: 7:20am On Sep 06, 2020
Respect is earned & reciprocal. Parents should apologise when they are wrong.

4 Likes

Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by dep07(f): 8:05am On Sep 06, 2020
Yes they should when they are wrong.i do that when I realize I am wrong or accuse him wrongly of something he didn't do.Anyway my son will even remind you to say sorry.
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by mariahAngel(f): 8:07am On Sep 06, 2020
dep07:
Yes they should when they are wrong.i do that when I realize I am wrong or accuse him wrongly of something he didn't do. Anyway my son will even remind you to say sorry.
grin

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by cococandy(f): 11:02am On Sep 06, 2020
Yes they should. Respect is reciprocal like someone up there said.

I always apologize to my kid when I’m wrong. We both do.
How else do kids learn?

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by frozen70(f): 2:25pm On Sep 06, 2020
mariahAngel:
Someone asked me the above question, and I just laughed before I could even reason what to answer grin
You know how it is with parents na, they're always right ...especially Nigerian dads cheesy

So, as a parent, can you apologize to your child if you found out you were wrong about an issue?
Did your parents ever apologize to you after a wrong accusation?
I do apologize when and where I am at fault

In fact, I do that with a recharge card to show am sorry by so doing, my mind will have peace

2 Likes

Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by mariahAngel(f): 3:05pm On Sep 06, 2020
So far, it seems mothers are more likely to apologize to their children than fathers...

One of the reasons why children are more likely drawn towards their mothers than fathers
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by Hathor5(f): 4:14pm On Sep 06, 2020
mariahAngel:
So far, it seems mothers are more likely to apologize to their children than fathers...

One of the reasons why children are more likely drawn towards their mothers than fathers

When I grew up my dad would apologize if he thought that he was too harsh but my mum would never apologize. He would not say 'sorry' but make you understand that he feels sorry for you. When my father got angry, we were scared for 15 minutes, then it was over but if you messed with mummy, she would make you suffer for days. grin Mum has taught me extreme self-discipline, which has been very useful, especially during tough times.

Parents should lead by example and teach their children that it is important to take responsibility for our mistakes and that it is human to err and that there is power in the word 'sorry' if you spoken sincerely. I think my mother never apologized because she never considered her forms of discipline a mistake. grin She didn't punish in anger, which made the punishment worse, not better. grin
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by mariahAngel(f): 4:34pm On Sep 06, 2020
Hathor5:

When I grew up my dad would apologize if he thought that he was too harsh but my mum would never apologize. He would not say 'sorry' but make you understand that he feels sorry for you. When my father got angry, we were scared for 15 minutes, then it was over but if you messed with mummy, she would make you suffer for days. grin Mum has taught me extreme self-discipline, which has been very useful, especially during tough times.

Parents should lead by example and teach their children that it is important to take responsibility for our mistakes and that it is human to err and that there is power in the word 'sorry' if you spoken sincerely. I think my mother never apologized because she never considered her forms of discipline a mistake. grin She didn't punish in anger, which made the punishment worse, not better. grin

Your mum though grin

I agree that parents, especially the African fathers, should lead by example.

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Sep 06, 2020
They should, even if they're too proud to say sorry, atleast their actions should.

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by sisisioge: 8:14pm On Sep 06, 2020
Absolutely! There is even a lesson there for the children being apologized, he/she will learn decency and respect.

5 Likes

Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Sep 06, 2020
Brachaa:
smiley

Yeah. I think they should. So, the child doesn't develop hatred for them.

My Mum did that a lot. Once she realized she was wrong, she'll immediately apologize. Hug you, call you pet names and that's it. But dad would not (as a force man) apologize outrightly but he'll stylishly do it by taking us to eateries or the beach. If he's not chanced, he'll dash you money. grin that way we know he's trying to make up.

I do it too ( even though I'm not a parent yet) If I found out I was wrong about a child, I'll apologize. Like the day I asked a question in Class suddenly from a topic we've treated (cos they were making a background noise) no body could answer. So, I went on a flogging spree and flogged a new girl who just joined then i remembered she wasn't around when we treated the topic. I felt bad when I saw her crying and apologized to her in front of the class. And other instances too.

I think every parent should.
Why you flog those children?
Child abuse.
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by Nobody: 1:03am On Sep 07, 2020
Squillaci:

Why you flog those children?
Child abuse.

Lol.. Children that i was teaching and they were making a noise. So i had to discipline them.

Child abuse? Nah...that's called corrective measure and every child needs it.

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? by Jqtyfx(m): 8:42am On Sep 07, 2020
Yes, they should. No one is above the words "I'm sorry". In fact, it'll make the kid/s have more reverence for them to see them acknowledge their wrongs and apologize.

(1) (Reply)

Help: This Man Has Been Missing since two weeks / Why Are Fathers Not Celebrated On Social Media As Mothers / My Half Sister Poisoned Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.