Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,606 members, 7,816,507 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

10 Books That Will Make You Smarter - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 10 Books That Will Make You Smarter (549 Views)

10 Cursed Books That You Should Avoid Reading At All Costs / My Ebooks And Books That Can Impact Your Life Positively FOREVER. / The 10 Books You Should Read In 2020 To Have A Productive Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Books That Will Make You Smarter by SmartNigeria: 6:44am On Sep 06, 2020
1. A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson:

One of the world’s most beloved and bestselling writers takes his ultimate journey — into the most intriguing and intractable questions that science seeks to answer. This books tends to ask, and in the end answers the oldest, biggest questions we have posed about the universe and ourselves. Taking as territory everything from the Big Bang to the rise of civilization, archeology, mathematics, etc. It is a sometimes profound, sometimes funny, and always supremely clear and entertaining adventure in the realms of human knowledge, as only Bill Bryson can render it. Science has never been more involving or entertaining.

2. Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates:

In a profound work that pivots from the biggest questions about American history and ideals to the most intimate concerns of a father for his son. This books helps to understand the idea that stems Americas racial segregation and especially, that damages us all but falls most heavily on the bodies of black women and men—bodies exploited through slavery and segregation, and, today, threatened, locked up, and murdered out of all proportion. What is it like to inhabit a black body and find a way to live within it? And how can we all honestly reckon with this fraught history and free ourselves from its burden?

3. The Courage to Write How Writers Transcend Fear by Ralph Keyes:

This is the most invaluable book and essential reading for anyone who wishes to learn how to write well. Ralph Keyes, an author who has taught writing for more than thirty years, assures us that anxiety is felt by writers at every level, especially when they dare to do their best. He describes the sequence of “courage points” through which all writers must pass, from the challenge of identifying a worthwhile project to the mixture of pride and panic they feel when examining a newly published book or article. Keyes also offers specifics on how to root out dread of public “performance” and of the judgment of family and friends, make the best use of writers’ workshops and conferences, and handle criticism of works in progress.

4. Quiet (The Power of Introverts in a World That Cant Stop Talking) by Susan Cain:

At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking; who innovate and create but dislike self-promotion; who favor working on their own over working in teams. It is to introverts — Rosa Parks, Chopin, Dr. Seuss, Steve Wozniak — that we owe many of the great contributions to society. If you wish to examine the world of the introverts, and how splendid their minds works. Then this book is a must read.

5. Daily Rituals (How Artists Work) by Mason Currey:

Daily Rituals examines the working routines of more than a hundred and sixty of the greatest philosophers, writers, composers and artists ever to have lived. Filled with fascinating insights on the mechanics of genius and entertaining stories of the personalities behind it, Daily Rituals is irresistibly addictive, and utterly inspiring.

6. The Question Book - What Makes You Tick by Mikael Krogerus Roman Tschäppeler:

This books catalogues the most provocative questions about ourselves. With spaces to answer these questions, from how you sleep? How replaceable are you? How much time you spend on the internet? How much love you give and get? Etc. if you want to take critical assessment of yourself, then you need this book.

7. The Moral Animal by Robert Wright:

This Book will help you appropriate your morality with the pertinent question. Why We Are the Way We Are? Are men literally born to cheat? Does monogamy actually serve women’s interests? These are among the questions that have made The Moral Animal one of the most provocative science books in recent years. Wright unveils the genetic strategies behind everything from our sexual preferences to our office politics — as well as their implications for our moral codes and public policies.

8. Brain Training by DK:

Boost Memory, Maximize Mental Agility, and Awaken Your Inner Genius with easy-to-digest collection of puzzles and tips to help exercise the brain and keep the cognitive faculties razor-sharp. Brain Training covers key areas of brain function, including memory, perception, problem-solving, verbal reasoning, and the body (how diet, exercise, meditation and other physical and mental fillips can raise brainpower). Each chapter then concentrates on a specific brain function, beginning with a lively explanation of how it works and then offers the most effective prescriptions available to exercise that particular mental function. For those who are struggling with memory, those having trouble learning new things, or those facing the pressures of exams - in fact, by anyone who wishes to maximize their cognitive potential - Brain Training is an indispensable resource to get the flabbiest brain fighting fit once again.

9. Astrophysics For People In A Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson:

What is the nature of space and time? How do we fit within the universe? How does the universe fit within us? There’s no better guide through these mind-expanding questions than acclaimed astrophysicist and best-selling author Neil deGrasse Tyson.
But most of us rarely have time to ponder about these questions due to our busy or otherwise already filled livelihood, yet we still yearn to assimilate some of these cosmic occurrence. This book will do just that for you, while taking coffee, riding on a bus, or other brief engagements. Read this book and you will be intimated enough with astrophysics

10. The Courage to be Disliked (How to Change Your Life and Achieve Real Happiness) by Ichiro Kishimi Fumitake Koga:

The Japanese phenomenon that teaches us the simple yet profound lessons required to liberate our real selves and find lasting happiness. It is a form of conversation between a philosopher and a cynical youth who struggles with self-acceptance and dislike of the world.

Other great intelligent books:
• The art of war by Sun Tzu: life is a battle field, learn its strategies
• Mindset - Changing The Way You think To Fulfil Your Potential by Carol S. Dweck
• The 48 laws of power by Robert Greene
• The Emperor of All Maladies A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee
• Real Artists Don’t Starve Timeless Strategies for Thriving in the New Creative Age by Jeff Goins
• Think Again How to Reason and Argue by Walter Sinnott-Armstrong
• Educated A Memoir by Tara Westover
• Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson
• Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Truss Lynne

PS: Contact me If you need any of these books, or any other book you'll love to read.

Re: 10 Books That Will Make You Smarter by LawLab247: 6:49am On Sep 06, 2020
Great collection
Re: 10 Books That Will Make You Smarter by SmartNigeria: 7:38am On Sep 06, 2020
LawLab247:
Great collection
Thank you
Re: 10 Books That Will Make You Smarter by Stephenomozzy(m): 7:45am On Sep 06, 2020
How can i get these books Sire?

I suppose they're in pdfs?
Re: 10 Books That Will Make You Smarter by SmartNigeria: 8:24am On Sep 06, 2020
Stephenomozzy:
How can i get these books Sire?

I suppose they're in pdfs?
Re: 10 Books That Will Make You Smarter by JBoluwatife: 2:29pm On Sep 06, 2020
I would love to have these books please...how can I get the PDFs
Re: 10 Books That Will Make You Smarter by oluwadabira222(m): 2:33pm On Sep 06, 2020
JBoluwatife:
I would love to have these books please...how can I get the PDFs

(1) (Reply)

Get Your Free E-books!!!! / Article Writer Needed!! / Two Pro Steps To Follow To Write Better And Faster

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.