Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:01 AM

Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! (59806 Views)

My Experience With Naija Rats (photo) / Dirty Habits We Should Get Rid Of / How Do I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by tithe(m): 4:54pm On Feb 22, 2011
Recently i started experiencing increase in the population of rats in my house, the most annoying thing is that they have taken my visitors room for themselves.

They drink milk, Custard and even drink juice, some of them are already developing black curly hair as evidence of good living angry.

Please pharmacist, biochemists, and chemists how can i bring them to extinction.

5 Likes

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Dsense(m): 5:28pm On Feb 22, 2011
Please let the aliens live jor grin grin grin
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Nobody: 5:35pm On Feb 22, 2011
ROTFLMBAO!!!!!!!!

what about YOU moving out and let them take over and pay the damn rent?

5 Likes

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Blazay(m): 5:37pm On Feb 22, 2011
Absolutely nothing you can do in Nigeria. Too many open dumpsters and unkempt bushes around the house.
I have always had that problem. . . no matter how clean the house is. They would always crawl in through the roof tops. . .eat all the yams/plantains/onions. The sordid state on NO-electricity situation does not help either.

The house is always stinking of dead roaches and dead rats. . . .and their poops! Gosh! I HATE them! I have learned to freeze all foodstuff or purchase things we want and cook them DAILY. No storage. Nothing left on the stoves or out of the freezer over night. NO DIRTY DISHES IN THE SINK!!! Keep all closets locked up! Avoid clutter. . . so they have no where to hide.

They drink milk, Custard and even drink juice, some of them are already developing black curly hair as evidence of good living

Very funny! grin Only that? shocked

'Em nauseating things ate up one of my babies' feeding bottles and a whole pacifier, leaving  only a tiny bit of a sourvenir for us to add insult to injury. You would never have known that the bottle or the pacifier ever existed. Big mistake leaving those things in the sink over night. . . .I mean raw harrrrrrrrd plastic! They would even eat stainless steel made by DUPONT! angry

One of the major turn-offs visiting Nigeria. I can't stand those ugly things. You are so right. . .they all have shiny black
hair
. . . not only curly, but long too, like they ALL have Japenese/Korean genes(not African genes for sure). For I have never seen a 'bald' one. . .not nappy hair for the African climate at all. . . the fine silky strands on these vermin, with their extremely lean bodies. . . . are fit for weaves of exports!!! Even bald people or the elderly people with 'grey' hair strands  of hair will be soooooooooooooo jealous of them grin

Good lord!
Disgusting things.

OTA PIA PIA ALL OVER THE HOUSE. . .for your sanity!!!! angry

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Nobody: 6:02pm On Feb 22, 2011
Blazay why do you sound like almondjoy.
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by ifyalways(f): 6:25pm On Feb 22, 2011
tpiah!:

LOL cheesy
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Blazay(m): 6:27pm On Feb 22, 2011
tpiah!:

Is that right? grin

And what else?  wink

And who might that be(not da' I givvvvehalfafuckorone) . . . just for asking sake o? wink

Urrrrhm. . . lemme go google it! wink

Ooooooooooooooh. . . that gerikid of a 'rascal'! Who knows? wink

Let us keep praying for more revelation. On or off the cyber huh?wink

Ooooops! Time for work already?

How do I gerrrrrout of this bed now? undecided
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by tithe(m): 6:52pm On Feb 22, 2011
I Don't think you understand, they are having population explosion and as a result their confidence is growing day by day, they don't run again when
am approaching.

Please, if you had a similar experience let me know how u overcome them.

1 Like

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Nobody: 7:11pm On Feb 22, 2011
tithe:

I Don't think you understand, they are having population explosion and as a result their confidence is growing day by day, they don't run again when
am approaching.

bro, that bolded statement had me in tears. i can picture you trying to scare them away and the rats looking back at you like:¨wtf?!¨
what about moving to a high rise?
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Sparkle777(f): 9:15pm On Feb 22, 2011
Jokes Apart. Try my personal remedy. Set one rat on fire in the full glare of the others. They'll quickly pack out. We tried this in our school hostel,believe me it worked like magic.

5 Likes

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Nobody: 9:21pm On Feb 22, 2011
what about getting a cat?! i heard the scent of the cat will drive them away in a second.
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by zayhal(f): 9:38pm On Feb 22, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

what about getting a cat?! i heard the scent of the cat will drive them away in a second.

you're right there. the presence of a cat scares rats away. But then you'll have to deal with feeding the cat and packing its faeces. Another disgusting exercise. And then the consideration of allergy is there. Some people are allergic to cats.
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Nobody: 11:07pm On Feb 22, 2011
^^^^i think the feeding and cleaning of cat feaces (let alone allergy) is far better than the deadly diseases carried by rats etc.

1 Like

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Nobody: 11:59pm On Feb 22, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

Are you kidding?? shocked You seen the size of Nigerian rats? Big and tough enough to give any full grown Tom Cat a workout. They'll eat your cat whole, even its collar, if it has one.

Unless you mean a Big Cat, like a Lion? Now we're talking!
cheesy

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Outstrip(f): 1:00am On Feb 23, 2011
LOL. Are you serious? If there is nothing to feed on won't they just go away. Maybe you need to make sure everything stays in the freezer and not out. They have to have something they are feeding on to love your place so much

1 Like

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by tigerpaws(f): 1:12am On Feb 23, 2011
tithe:

Recently i started experiencing increase in the population of rats in my house, the most annoying thing is that they have taken my visitors room for themselves.

They [size=16pt]drink milk, Custard and even drink juice, some of them are already developing black curly hair as evidence of good living[/size] angry.

Please pharmacist, biochemists, and chemists how can i bring them to extinction.

grin    grin   grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by armyofone(m): 1:16am On Feb 23, 2011
i hate rats!!

if they are there to just eat your food, i'd say well okay but they come to eat your food and s, hit on the left over leaving you the only option of discarding the food.

1 Like

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by babyme1(f): 1:08pm On Feb 23, 2011
Try killing them by applying indocid(hope that is the spelling undecided). Buy the capsule,open it and mix with bread crumbs, fish or crayfish. It's a common drug in the pharmarcy but it kills rat. Don't just stay there and share ur house with them or they will start eating ur feet while u sleep.

4 Likes

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Nobody: 1:31pm On Feb 23, 2011
tpiah!:

Probably because they are one and the same person . . . undecided

I thought NL has been cured of that particular insanity! lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Nobody: 1:32pm On Feb 23, 2011
tithe:

They drink milk, Custard and even drink juice, some of them are already developing black curly hair as evidence of good living angry.

How often do you fumigate your house and the environs!

I suggest you try that in addition to Blazay's suggestions!
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Nobody: 1:50pm On Feb 23, 2011
Siena:

Are you kidding??  shocked You seen the size of Nigerian rats? Big and tough enough to give any full grown Tom Cat a workout They'll eat your cat whole, even its collar, if it has one.

Unless you mean a Big Cat, like a Lion? Now we're talking! cheesy

tithe:

They drink milk, Custard and even drink juice, some of them are already developing black curly hair as evidence of good living
angry.

tithe:

am approaching.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin this got me in Tears

1 Like

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Odunnu: 2:02pm On Feb 23, 2011
Siena:

Are you kidding?? shocked You seen the size of Nigerian rats? Big and tough enough to give any full grown Tom Cat a workout. They'll eat your cat whole, even its collar, if it has one.

Unless you mean a Big Cat, like a Lion? Now we're talking!
cheesy
Now you are exaggerating. Cats stil deal with the rats

2 Likes

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Cougar2: 3:04pm On Feb 23, 2011
tithe:

get two tabby cats in your house. . . . .and the rats will flee.

2 Likes

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Nobody: 3:35pm On Feb 23, 2011
@armyofone
Are you implying that if the rats wouldn't shiit on their leftovers, you would eat it?!?!?!
I don't know about anyone else but the simple knowledge that rats were around some uncovered item of food would be enough for me to throw it all in the garbage, regardless if they A) partly eat it B) touched it or C) shiited around it!

1 Like

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Blazay(m): 5:09pm On Feb 23, 2011
Ujujoan:

Probably because they are one and the same person . . . undecided

I thought NL has been cured of that particular insanity!

Use your 'born-again' pawas for more revelation. . . . and 'cure'. wink
Where is your 'faith' o holy one?
Nigeria and Africa need you. grin
If the 'insanity' still plagues 'your' cyber world of NL, I hope it does not follow you outside of it too?
That would be unfortunate.(ask those who have suffered such fates. may it not be your portion. iseeeeee!!!) cool

I thought you were 'fortified' from all those 'evil' spirits? wink
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by tithe(m): 6:04pm On Feb 23, 2011
Outstrip:

LOL. Are you serious? If there is nothing to feed on won't they just go away. Maybe you need to make sure everything stays in the freezer and not out. They have to have something they are feeding on to love your place so much
You are right i tried starving them, but they started feeding on my home theater cables.

2 Likes

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by LordReed(m): 8:42pm On Feb 23, 2011
So far you've been treating them with kid gloves. For a problem of this magnitude you need professional help. Get a company that does fumigation and let them fumigate your house and environs. If you live in a block of flats get your neighbours to go along with you on it if not they'll only take refuge there and come back later. We did this two years running now and am yet to see a rat.

1 Like

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by OAM4J: 12:29am On Feb 24, 2011
tithe:

You are right i tried starving them, but they started feeding on my home theater cables.

Take a shooting class, get a gun and kill them like mad  cool

[img]http://1.bp..com/_vmpSO2BbYCE/S8h6vd6pUyI/AAAAAAAALj0/pAe-Sd1cNc8/s400/jig+w+a+gun.jpg[/img]
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Busybody2(f): 1:43am On Feb 24, 2011
H-i-r-a-r-i-o-u-s T-h-r-e-a-d grin
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by ikamefa(f): 5:50am On Feb 24, 2011
am supposed to be sleeping oh! but this thread had me in stitches  cheesy naija we hail thee!  cheesy

@ topic

rats like this?

Or like dis?

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Nobody: 8:37am On Feb 24, 2011
Eeeew, 'Kamefa! I've just abandoned my breakfast. cheesy

Seriously though, the larger rats in Nigeria will certainly see off a full-grown Tom Cat. Rats are pretty vicious when they're in packs. And as for locking food out of reach in ovens, refrigerators etc it wouldn't help much. The teeth of a rat are very sharp, and they grow all through their life time. A healthy rat would easily bite through steel; a fridge or steel food storage unit will present little defence to a hungry rat.

Lock a rat in a car, and see what happens. It will bore through the floor boards, once it's gotten bored sustaining on your interior - seats, dash, wiring etc. So, getting rid of them (somehow) is the answer. Locking food away isn't. As long as they know where food is, they'll get to it.
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by babyme1(f): 9:29am On Feb 24, 2011
Ikamefa your rats are disgusting. Ermmm, do u actually live with all of them? shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

'Frustrated' Lastborn Tired Of Housework Writes Warning Letter To Family Members / Husbands, Have You Noticed That Women Change After Wedding? / Man Did This On Finding Out He's Not The Biological Father Of His Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.