Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,069 members, 7,818,183 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU (2246 Views)

FG Submits School Reopening Proposal To National Assembly / No Reopening Of Schools For Now – Presidential Taskforce On COVID-19 / Schools Reopening: FG To Roll Out Policy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by Trust22(m): 8:49pm On Sep 06, 2020
ON SEPTEMBER 6, 2020.

The Academic Staff Union of Universities
(ASUU), University of Ibadan Chapter, has
warned against the reopening of schools
without provisions for schools to meet
COVID-19 precautionary guidelines.

Its chairman, Prof. Ayo Akinwole, stated this in
a release he made available to newsmen in
Ibadan on Sunday.

Akinwole stated that the negative impacts of
the COVID-19 pandemic on schools could be
enormous if responsibility was not taken to
ensure safety.

He warned that no pecuniary gains would be
more than the lives of lecturers and their
students.

Akinwole noted that before COVID-19 pandemic,
public varsities were overcrowded with
students and hostel facilities took more than
its capacity.

He then warned parents not to jubilate at the
news of a possible reopening of schools.
However, they should ask the government to
put measures in place so as not to have a
surge in COVID-19 that might happen as a
result of ill-thought-out reopening, he said.

“What we are simply saying is that the
Federal Government should adhere to their
own set guidelines.

“Our position, as a responsible union in all
these, is that; throwing schools open in the
midst of all these, is an open invitation to the
tragic explosion of the COVID-19 scourge on a
scale never witnessed anywhere since its
outbreak.”

He said that the union was aware that there
had been agitations from some quarters for
the government to reopen schools.
He said that those leading the campaign are
the proprietors of private universities.
He said, “ASUU is not in any way opposed to
this call.

“However, Nigerians should honestly
interrogate this position. Has the Nigerian
government met the Nigeria Centre for Disease
Control (NCDC) criteria on COVID – 19
protocols in our institutions?

“COVID-19 pandemic is still very much with us.
It is in recognition of this fact that the
government itself has rolled out certain
conditions to be met before schools are
reopened.”

According to the ASUU chairman, How many of
our public institutions can confidently vouch
for the safety of our children given the
available facilities such as the provision of
running water for handwashing; social
distancing among students.

Did he list others to include: the use of
recommended face masks and shields, which are
key components of NCDC protocols?

Source: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/09/school-reopening-without-adherence-to-covid-19-protocols-dangerous-ASUU/

Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by Uzomacharles: 8:51pm On Sep 06, 2020
School Na 2021
Na Me Talk Am

5 Likes

Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by flyingpig: 9:11pm On Sep 06, 2020
These useless people should shut up their dirty mouths.

Old, yellow-teeth men.

Pray, tell me the facilities put in place at our markets to ensure social distancing?

7 Likes

Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by ReorxTohGan(m): 9:20pm On Sep 06, 2020
flyingpig:

Old, yellow-teeth men.

Pray, tell me the facilities put in place at our markets to ensure social distancing?
dont mind em jare

once the govt settles em now,they will begin to say another thing!

1 Like

Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by jetguy(m): 9:20pm On Sep 06, 2020
this ASUU people are irritating abeg☹️ they should pack well jhor
Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by SpecTTraP: 9:25pm On Sep 06, 2020
flyingpig:

Old, yellow-teeth men.

Are you a graduate or an undergraduate? Don't disrespect these men. Buhari alone is worst than all of them put together.

2 Likes

Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by Rilley(m): 11:10pm On Sep 06, 2020
Nigeria issa scam
Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by SeniorGee(m): 11:22pm On Sep 06, 2020
I don't know sha ooo but am beginning to feel ASUU is actually anti education, the real boko haram. Frustrating every move in the education sector for selfish reasons

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by Vyzz: 11:24pm On Sep 06, 2020
I am trying to read from home but it seems to be scam... Nothing enters my head.

I am becoming afraid of the exams oo...

Just pray for ya nigga

1 Like

Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by paulolee(m): 11:31pm On Sep 06, 2020
jokers, but the reopening isnt dangerous to market and churches dt av already been opened..
Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by Haywhymido(m): 8:22am On Sep 07, 2020
Useless, old people who should have led the country on how to find cure for the deadly virus looked away during it rampaging and failed to advise the government what to put in place to avoid it spreading finally have something to say. Atlas, what they have to say is gibberish and inconsequential they have no concern for their students but for themselves. You failed to advise the government since all these months, you can as well shut it now

1 Like

Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by ArticleBeast: 9:18am On Sep 07, 2020
Give ASUU small money and this their COVID concern will disappear
Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by KrazyDave16(m): 10:43am On Sep 07, 2020
E-learning should've been prioritized like schools outside Nigeria did instead of wasting time on this matter.
Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by PureGoldh(m): 11:02am On Sep 07, 2020
With the recent happenings...One can confidently say that Public schools will re-open in 2021
Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by jimetoiyanu: 11:28am On Sep 07, 2020
ASUU has been on strike since... Even if federal government opens the school, most schools will not resume
Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by Nobody: 11:51am On Sep 07, 2020
Greedy ol' Basta*ds hoping to make money out of students suffering.
Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by 3fcc: 1:40pm On Sep 07, 2020
Schools wan cashout also
Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by Smile4me01(m): 5:51pm On Sep 07, 2020
Trust22:
ON SEPTEMBER 6, 2020.

The Academic Staff Union of Universities
(ASUU), University of Ibadan Chapter, has
warned against the reopening of schools
without provisions for schools to meet
COVID-19 precautionary guidelines.

Its chairman, Prof. Ayo Akinwole, stated this in
a release he made available to newsmen in
Ibadan on Sunday. this nonsense ASUU should rest they are loosing their relevancy everyday they all go to market, church and mosque it never dangerous even exchange banter with friends i don't know why anything that has to do with young people success always be a problem to Nigeria old fools that call themselves union

Akinwole stated that the negative impacts of
the COVID-19 pandemic on schools could be
enormous if responsibility was not taken to
ensure safety.

He warned that no pecuniary gains would be
more than the lives of lecturers and their
students.

Akinwole noted that before COVID-19 pandemic,
public varsities were overcrowded with
students and hostel facilities took more than
its capacity.

He then warned parents not to jubilate at the
news of a possible reopening of schools.
However, they should ask the government to
put measures in place so as not to have a
surge in COVID-19 that might happen as a
result of ill-thought-out reopening, he said.

“What we are simply saying is that the
Federal Government should adhere to their
own set guidelines.

“Our position, as a responsible union in all
these, is that; throwing schools open in the
midst of all these, is an open invitation to the
tragic explosion of the COVID-19 scourge on a
scale never witnessed anywhere since its
outbreak.”

He said that the union was aware that there
had been agitations from some quarters for
the government to reopen schools.
He said that those leading the campaign are
the proprietors of private universities.
He said, “ASUU is not in any way opposed to
this call.

“However, Nigerians should honestly
interrogate this position. Has the Nigerian
government met the Nigeria Centre for Disease
Control (NCDC) criteria on COVID – 19
protocols in our institutions?

“COVID-19 pandemic is still very much with us.
It is in recognition of this fact that the
government itself has rolled out certain
conditions to be met before schools are
reopened.”

According to the ASUU chairman, How many of
our public institutions can confidently vouch
for the safety of our children given the
available facilities such as the provision of
running water for handwashing; social
distancing among students.

Did he list others to include: the use of
recommended face masks and shields, which are
key components of NCDC protocols?

Source: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/09/school-reopening-without-adherence-to-covid-19-protocols-dangerous-ASUU/
Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by Uyi168: 6:13pm On Sep 07, 2020
Uzomacharles:
School Na 2021

Na Me Talk Am
Correct guy!

1 Like

Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by Uyi168: 6:14pm On Sep 07, 2020
Vyzz:
I am trying to lead from home but it seems to be scam... Nothing enters my head.

I am becoming afraid of the exams oo...

Just pray for ya nigga
Was your exams close before the covid?
Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by dahgifted(m): 6:27pm On Sep 07, 2020
PureGoldh:
With the recent happenings...One can confidently say that Public schools will re-open in 2021
Kogi state University isn't under ASUU, and resumption is on the 14th
Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by Vyzz: 6:45pm On Sep 07, 2020
Uyi168:
.. Was your exams close before the covid?

Just about a week stuff
Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by Uyi168: 6:48pm On Sep 07, 2020
Vyzz:

Just about a week stuff
Close!!
Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by lilbarracuda(m): 9:11pm On Sep 07, 2020
dahgifted:
Kogi state University isn't under ASUU, and resumption is on the 14th

any circular from the school about resumption?
Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by dahgifted(m): 11:16pm On Sep 07, 2020
lilbarracuda:

any circular from the school about resumption?
No memo yet.
Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by lilbarracuda(m): 11:31pm On Sep 07, 2020
dahgifted:
No memo yet.

Then it's likely not to be true.
I'm actually wanting the reopening of schools to happen this month. I just need something concrete to believe
Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by Fox12(m): 1:52am On Sep 08, 2020
KrazyDave16:
E-learning should've been prioritized like schools outside Nigeria did instead of wasting time on this matter.
This would have bin an intelligent opinion
IF,
Nigeria Leaders were intelligent.

1 Like

Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by dahgifted(m): 5:07pm On Sep 08, 2020
lilbarracuda:

Then it's likely not to be true.
I'm actually wanting the reopening of schools to happen this month. I just need something concrete to believe
Resumption is imminent,i got the information from reliable source.
Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by lilbarracuda(m): 5:55pm On Sep 08, 2020
dahgifted:
Resumption is imminent,i got the information from reliable source.

For state universities??
Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by dahgifted(m): 5:59pm On Sep 08, 2020
lilbarracuda:

For state universities??
KSU!
Re: School Reopening Without Adherence To COVID-19 Protocols Dangerous — ASUU by lilbarracuda(m): 6:26pm On Sep 08, 2020
dahgifted:
KSU!

Ok

(1) (Reply)

UI Faculty President Who Disappeared After 26-page Suicide Note Has Been Found / 8 Strange Phobias You Don’t Know (very Strange) / 10 Most Weird Looking Cars Ever Made No.5 is Hilarious - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.