Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,205 members, 7,818,701 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa (3116 Views)

APC Yet To Pay For Campaign Billboards FOr 2015 Election: Advertising Companies / APC Kicks As NCC Bans Networks From Advertising / APC Now Advertising On MTN 100naira Recharge Cards? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by johnie: 10:22pm On Feb 22, 2011
I experience this churning in my stomach each time I hear/see this advert in which a Nigerian couple extol South Africa with the wife even saying that SA is the giant of Africa.

Gov Fashola expressed similar emotions towards the advert recently.

Even if offered millions of USD/GBP/Euro or Rands, I would not do such an advert.

Would you?
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by texazzpete(m): 10:27pm On Feb 22, 2011
johnie:

Even if offered millions of USD/GBP/Euro or Rands, I would not do such an advert.

Yeah right.

Apart from the 'Giant of africa' comment, there's nothing wrong with the advert.
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by Nobody: 10:31pm On Feb 22, 2011
na dem sabi.

i dont know why the phrase giant of africa annoys some people so much.

whatever happened to originality- why can folks come up with their own slogan instead of beefing other people's own.

sheesh- just a pet peeve of mine.

as per the couple- hope there's no pogrom to remind them where they're from. Although maybe the ad was sponsored and cooked up by nigerians however- you never know.
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by johnie: 10:33pm On Feb 22, 2011
That giant of Africa bit to me is a tongue in cheek reference to Nigeria.

I am glad you realise that.

The way she gleefully said it is another matter.
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by Nobody: 10:34pm On Feb 22, 2011
^^well, let her pray no pogroms are in the offing.
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by johnie: 10:38pm On Feb 22, 2011
I just saw the ad again (second time in 10 minutes). Okay, she did not say that part gleefully - sorry - but still each time I hear that part, something feels funny about it.
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by Nobody: 10:42pm On Feb 22, 2011
Hell YES!!!.

Why should they not give SA her due!? After struggle and reforms SA has proven her "undoubted" worth to the world.

Or are you unhappy that they called SA the "giant of africa"? That is just an unimportant title, I would only take offence at that if Nigeria was undoubtedly far better than SA.

Please remember that a UK couple also did the same advert, but I have not heard any briton taking offence at the advert.

You should focus more on issues of advancing Nigeria than an advert for another country that in my opinion has no problem (the advert is of also of international standard). If you want to talk about bad adverts i know of several atrocious Nigeria adverts on NTA.
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by Nobody: 10:43pm On Feb 22, 2011
Hell YES!!!.

Why should they not give SA her due!? After struggle and reforms SA has proven her "undoubted" worth to the world.

Or are you unhappy that they called SA the "giant of africa"? That is just an unimportant title, I would only take offence at that if Nigeria was undoubtedly far better than SA.

Please remember that a UK couple also did the same advert, but I have not heard any briton taking offence at the advert.

You should focus more on issues of advancing Nigeria than an advert for another country that in my opinion has no problem (the advert is of also of international standard). If you want to talk about bad adverts i know of several atrocious Nigeria adverts on NTA.
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by johnie: 11:09pm On Feb 22, 2011
Funny enough, I did not pay attention to that advert done by the britons when it was being aired. That should count in favour of the SA ministry who have used Nigerians to sell their country in Nigeria. Would a SA citizen of the same pedigree as the Somolus do a similar advert to be shown in SA extolling Nigeria as the rainbow nation of Africa?

I rejoice with SA for the abilitiy to project such a positive image not only for themselves but for the whole of Africa. As Mrs Somolu gleefully said at the end of the ad, we should all be proud that we are Africans seeing that they can rival any other nation on the globe.

I guess my funny feeling each time I hear that bit (just saw it the third time this evening) has something to do with my sadness at the sorry state of Nigeria's tourism industry. A feeling about what could have been.

I have no qualms with the quality of the advert but using Nigerians to poke fun at Nigeria is what I am not okay with.
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by Nobody: 11:32pm On Feb 22, 2011
who even cares, really.

no be today nigerians dey carry oro oloro for head,
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by Nobody: 11:38pm On Feb 22, 2011
johnie:

I have no qualms with the quality of the advert but using Nigerians to poke fun at Nigeria is what I am not okay with.

In the past year I visited a number of sub-saharan african countries, and the questions posed by their indigenes were all the same "what is up with Nigeria".

Most of them see Nigeria as the country to make all of Africa better than the western world but then they are utterly shocked to see us killing ourselves on TV(Jos, Maiduguri, abuja mopol shooting etc) internally without any foreign aggressors. They wonder why we don't have basic stuff like a sustainable power structure and transport systems.

They are basically waiting for us to dust ourselves off and act as their big brother.

So poking fun at Nigeria using nigerians is what I see as a covert wake up call.
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by johnie: 9:31am On Feb 23, 2011
I am glad that you agree that they are poking fun at Nigeria using Nigerians.

That is what I disagree with and think is pathetic!
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by fstranger3(m): 10:43am On Feb 23, 2011
What are you all taking about?

Which advert and how and where can I see the advert?

Can someone provide a link or something?
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by joeyfire(m): 11:22am On Feb 23, 2011
I dont know what the fuss is all about, isnt SA the giant of Africa? Naija people love to deceive themselves. A country that hasnt been able to hold credible elections, put an end to the house to house killings in jos, tame a rag-tag boko haram, provide average power supply etc. If any Nigerian goes out to say that his country is the giant of Africa he'll probably get laughed at first.
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by Arosa(m): 12:44pm On Feb 23, 2011
This advert makes want to puke. shocked
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by Nobody: 1:00pm On Feb 23, 2011
johnie:

I experience this churning in my stomach each time I hear/see this advert in which a Nigerian couple extol South Africa with the wife even saying that SA is the giant of Africa.

Gov Fashola expressed similar emotions towards the advert recently.

Would you?
The advert also hurt me but are they telling unwarranted lies, is south Africa not the true giant of Africa, you wont even believe SA is in Africa when you compare it with the so called giant, we are giant in pending, SA is giant in action and I commend them. Whoever is not comfortable with it should either change it or walk down the street and go hug transformer. Our excessively agile Min. of info must have seen the ad before she resigned, why didn't she yell at them to stop airing it because she knows it the truth and Nigeria is only a noise maker.

How can a country be the giant of Africa when it cant even provide its citizens with basic utilities(power, water even proper garbage disposal, nigeria is a nation in comatose)
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by LoveKing(m): 1:02pm On Feb 23, 2011
Yeah S.A is the giant of Africa. so go bust your head in a wall! wtf
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by Nobody: 1:07pm On Feb 23, 2011
johnie:

I am glad that you agree that they are poking fun at Nigeria using Nigerians.

That is what I disagree with and think is pathetic!

i agree with u, using Nigerians to poke at Nigerians.

we agree we r not the giant, we dont need outsiders to tell us we already know. SA should deal with its own problems, or they think we dont know?

@stromae

i have also visited some sub-saharan countries when u mention u are a nigerian they all seat up and become suspicious of u. they dont like u directly or indirectly. if u think it is a lie go to nearby Ghana and brandish ur nigerian passport or simple visit ghanaweb and see how they see nigerians

we know we have problems. every african country have their own share of problems. we dont go about poking other countries we expect them to leave us alone to deal with our issues while they deal with theirs.
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by Nobody: 3:14pm On Feb 23, 2011
fstranger3:

What are you all taking about?

Which advert and how and where can I see the advert?

Can someone provide a link or something?
too much supersport, there are other stations like cnn on dstv undecided
kaecy5:

i agree with u, using Nigerians to poke at Nigerians.

we agree we r not the giant, we dont need outsiders to tell us we already know. SA should deal with its own problems, or they think we dont know?

@stromae

i have also visited some sub-saharan countries when u mention u are a nigerian they all seat up and become suspicious of u. they dont like u directly or indirectly. if u think it is a lie go to nearby Ghana and brandish your nigerian passport or simple visit ghanaweb and see how they see nigerians

we know we have problems. every african country have their own share of problems. we dont go about poking other countries we expect them to leave us alone to deal with our issues while they deal with theirs.

I'm actually looking forward to processing my usa passport and stay, haven't lost hope in my country though
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by Nobody: 6:41pm On Feb 23, 2011
i believe the shomolu's never thought they will be on tv in nigeria every ten ten minutes, every day extolling another country,
by now they will be so ashamed of themselves, which i believe is enough punishment.
thank God most of nigeria's educated and semi educated people, are now very far from the mindset of the shomolu's.
the line that still gets me till tmorro is the one the husband says SA can rival any western nation, i couldn,t help but think he was a slave.
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by Nobody: 6:48pm On Feb 23, 2011
df2006:

i believe the shomolu's never thought they will be on tv in nigeria every ten ten minutes, every day extolling another country,
by now they will be so ashamed of themselves, which i believe is enough punishment.
thank God most of nigeria's educated and semi educated people, are now very far from the mindset of the shomolu's.
the line that still gets me till tmorro is the one t[b]he husband says SA can rival any western nation, i couldn,t help but think he was a slave. [/b]
Was it a lie? you are being naive
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by blacksta(m): 7:27pm On Feb 23, 2011
Johndoe or Johnie

at least they were not lying. Nigeria a country retrogressing at the speed of light

Any Nigerian calling Nigeria the giant of Africa should get their head checked
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by johnie: 7:39pm On Feb 23, 2011
Blacksta(r), are you from Ghana?
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by blacksta(m): 7:45pm On Feb 23, 2011
johnie:

Blacksta(r), are you from Ghana?

Wetin concern me with ghana - but one thing i am sure of is " I am not delusional "
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by DisGuy: 8:00pm On Feb 23, 2011
I actually like the advert probably because they used Nigerians - like tongue in cheek way of telling us to wake up

I wonder if Nigerians will use other nationalities for their advert, not just pictures and sounds
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by DisGuy: 8:03pm On Feb 23, 2011
df2006:

the line that still gets me till tmorro is the one the husband says SA can rival any western nation, i couldn,t help but think he was a slave.

I don't know if you've seen the SA adverts by other nationalities, usually on CNN i dont know what is there to be ashamed about after all most of these educated and semi educated Nigerians don't have their family holidays in Nigeria
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by ladi02(m): 8:20pm On Feb 23, 2011
joeyfire:

I dont know what the fuss is all about, isnt SA the giant of Africa? Naija people love to deceive themselves. A  country that hasnt been able to hold credible elections, put an end to the house to house killings in jos, tame a rag-tag boko haram, provide average power supply etc. If any Nigerian goes out to say that his country is the giant of Africa he'll probably get laughed at first. 

Exactly what i was thinking, is south africa not better than Nigeria in every way. .but that said Nigeria is usually referred by that, and seeing a nigerian couple doing that can be a bit disturbing. .
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by johnie: 9:06pm On Feb 23, 2011
None of the the contributors to the thread has said if they would do the same advert- the same words.

Would you?
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by ekubear1: 2:20am On Feb 24, 2011
Wish I could see the advert.
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by rasputinn(m): 7:44am On Feb 24, 2011
Highly uncharitable advert
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by rasputinn(m): 7:45am On Feb 24, 2011
Highly unpatriotic advert
Re: The Somolus (nigerians) Advertising South Africa by Nobody: 7:54am On Feb 24, 2011
johnie:

None of the the contributors to the thread has said if they would do the same advert- the same words.

Would you?
I will do it over and over, i'll even do it for Togo or Benin embarassed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan Presidential Campaign In London (pics) / The Sardauna (sir Ahmadu Bello) And Girl Child Education In The North / A 73 Years Old Man Walking In A Snow Without Cardigan (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.