Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,317 members, 7,811,945 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

Buhari's Foreign Policy Is Too Weak For My Liking - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari's Foreign Policy Is Too Weak For My Liking (178 Views)

The Shame Of Buhari's Foreign Medical Trips - Guardian Editorial / Pete Edochie: Tinubu Too Old, Too Weak To Run For President / Obasanjo: Buhari’s Hand Too Weak To Sign African Free Trade Agreement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari's Foreign Policy Is Too Weak For My Liking by lordsterlin(m): 10:39am On Sep 07, 2020
Sometime ago still within the lifespan of the President Muhammadu Buhari administration, ceaseless xenophobic attacks occurred against particularly Nigerians in South Africa.

In those attacks, properties of Nigerians living there were looted massively while some lost their lives.

As a trained diplomat, I had advised the Nigerian government to show cause why other African nations should respect our nationals.

For goodness sake, our country prides herself as the proverbial "Big Brother" in the continent. This notion has even influenced our foreign policy direction over the years. Nobody or national government can put under a blanket our unique African history especially when it comes to helping our brothers in the region fight their fight.

We have helped almost all African states to achieve independence. Zimbabwe, Angola, Liberia, Sierra Leone, South Africa amongst many others all have evidence of our giant footprints. There are those nations we even went our way to provide electricity for despite we not having.

Our judicial officers paid with Nigerian taxpayers money were posted to Gambia and indeed every African state where there's a seeming shortfall in their judiciary.

Nigeria in the past, helped to train their military and also undertake other important task just to promote the comradeship of Africa.

Despite all these, if the South Africans decide to disrespect us for whatever reason, I advised the government headed by President Buhari to act decisively against such irritants to serve as deterrence to others.

Had the government heeded to my admonition to expel the South African ambassador to Nigeria as a start, the Ghanaian government would not be acting this soured script on our nationals in their country.

A country's foreign policy is pursued mainly on the premises of their national interest. As Prof Adaye Orugbani puts it, "self preservation, the maintenance of the physical integrity of the country and the unity of its people are the most important interest of a state".

By electing to send envoys to South Africa and now to Ghana, the Nigerian government headed by President Buhari has shown that Nigeria is in a weaker position in relation to those belligerent nations.

No doubt, those nations including Ghana and South Africa know very well that Nigerians are maltreated in their home country and that many of them are willing to do anything to flee to anywhere that is not Nigeria just to have respite of some sort.

Former presidential candidate and owner of Ovation Magazine Dele Momodu was apparently very miffed by all these seeming incompetence hence his outburst during his interview with The Punch Newspaper.

According to him, Buhari lacks understanding in terms of foreign policy and has not been receiving the necessary advice.

“A lot of people have complained that a lot of the ministers don’t see President Buhari and he himself actually gave a hint when he said during the time of Mallam Abba Kyari, his late chief of staff, that they should go through his chief of staff. That is part of the problem,” he said.

“If you have a president that is accessible, who they can explain these things to and he would understand them, that would have helped.

“Also, speaker of the house of representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, would not have gone to Ghana if he had not got a tacit approval from the presidency.

“If the President had told him that Ghana was maltreating our people and that we couldn’t go there now until the issues were resolved, he wouldn’t have gone.

“If I were Buhari, last week I would have suspended our relationship with ECOWAS; let all the presidents in ECOWAS go and talk to their colleague in Ghana to relax. Like I said, diplomacy is not about nice words,” Momodu said.

“I felt depressed and scandalised when I read that the speaker of the house of representatives, Hon. Femi Gbajabiamiala, was travelling to Ghana. There is nothing wrong with going to Ghana but not in the middle of this crisis, unless there was a guarantee that before he would leave Accra, they would have opened the shops.

“If a country is hostile to you, this could have been the best opportunity to tell them that even if you are invited to a parliamentary session, you tell them you are sorry, you are not able to come. That is what Donald Trump and people like that would have done. They would cancel it and send a strong message.

“Nigeria has refused to send any strong message to any country. The worst of it was South Africa, not even Ghana. People died, yet they would invite your president to come and they will be doing a brigade of guards.”
Re: Buhari's Foreign Policy Is Too Weak For My Liking by LordviccoDaGuru(m): 10:47am On Sep 07, 2020
[s]
lordsterlin:
Sometime ago still within the lifespan of the President Muhammadu Buhari administration, ceaseless xenophobic attacks occurred against particularly Nigerians in South Africa.

In those attacks, properties of Nigerians living there were looted massively while some lost their lives.

As a trained diplomat, I had advised the Nigerian government to show cause why other African nations should respect our nationals.

For goodness sake, our country prides herself as the proverbial "Big Brother" in the continent. This notion has even influenced our foreign policy direction over the years. Nobody or national government can put under a blanket our unique African history especially when it comes to helping our brothers in the region fight their fight.

We have helped almost all African states to achieve independence. Zimbabwe, Angola, Liberia, Sierra Leone, South Africa amongst many others all have evidence of our giant footprints. There are those nations we even went our way to provide electricity for despite we not having.

Our judicial officers paid with Nigerian taxpayers money were posted to Gambia and indeed every African state where there's a seeming shortfall in their judiciary.

Nigeria in the past, helped to train their military and also undertake other important task just to promote the comradeship of Africa.

Despite all these, if the South Africans decide to disrespect us for whatever reason, I advised the government headed by President Buhari to act decisively against such irritants to serve as deterrence to others.

Had the government heeded to my admonition to expel the South African ambassador to Nigeria as a start, the Ghanaian government would not be acting this soured script on our nationals in their country.

A country's foreign policy is pursued mainly on the premises of their national interest. As Prof Adaye Orugbani puts it, "self preservation, the maintenance of the physical integrity of the country and the unity of its people are the most important interest of a state".

By electing to send envoys to South Africa and now to Ghana, the Nigerian government headed by President Buhari has shown that Nigeria is in a weaker position in relation to those belligerent nations.

No doubt, those nations including Ghana and South Africa know very well that Nigerians are maltreated in their home country and that many of them are willing to do anything to flee to anywhere that is not Nigeria just to have respite of some sort.

Former presidential candidate and owner of Ovation Magazine Dele Momodu was apparently very miffed by all these seeming incompetence hence his outburst during his interview with The Punch Newspaper.

According to him, Buhari lacks understanding in terms of foreign policy and has not been receiving the necessary advice.

“A lot of people have complained that a lot of the ministers don’t see President Buhari and he himself actually gave a hint when he said during the time of Mallam Abba Kyari, his late chief of staff, that they should go through his chief of staff. That is part of the problem,” he said.

“If you have a president that is accessible, who they can explain these things to and he would understand them, that would have helped.

“Also, speaker of the house of representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, would not have gone to Ghana if he had not got a tacit approval from the presidency.

“If the President had told him that Ghana was maltreating our people and that we couldn’t go there now until the issues were resolved, he wouldn’t have gone.

“If I were Buhari, last week I would have suspended our relationship with ECOWAS; let all the presidents in ECOWAS go and talk to their colleague in Ghana to relax. Like I said, diplomacy is not about nice words,” Momodu said.

“I felt depressed and scandalised when I read that the speaker of the house of representatives, Hon. Femi Gbajabiamiala, was travelling to Ghana. There is nothing wrong with going to Ghana but not in the middle of this crisis, unless there was a guarantee that before he would leave Accra, they would have opened the shops.

“If a country is hostile to you, this could have been the best opportunity to tell them that even if you are invited to a parliamentary session, you tell them you are sorry, you are not able to come. That is what Donald Trump and people like that would have done. They would cancel it and send a strong message.

“Nigeria has refused to send any strong message to any country. The worst of it was South Africa, not even Ghana. People died, yet they would invite your president to come and they will be doing a brigade of guards.”
[/s]
Re: Buhari's Foreign Policy Is Too Weak For My Liking by orisa37: 10:55am On Sep 07, 2020
He has UK POLICY FOR HIS HEALTH, US POLICY FOR ARMS DEAL, CHINA POLICY FOR LOANS AND ECOWAS AND SAUDI POLICY FOR RIFA-RUGA ISLAMISATION FULANISATION AND ANARCHY.
Re: Buhari's Foreign Policy Is Too Weak For My Liking by LordviccoDaGuru(m): 10:56am On Sep 07, 2020
[s]
orisa37:
He has UK POLICY FOR HIS HEALTH, US POLICY FOR ARMS DEAL, CHINA POLICY FOR LOANS AND ECOWAS AND SAUDI POLICY FOR RIFA-RUGA ISLAMISATION FULANISATION AND ANARCHY.
[/s]

(1) (Reply)

This Is What Happens When Our Institutions Fail To Protect Us / Aba Building Collapse: Engage Professionals, APGA Tells Gov Ikpeazu / Proudly 5% Taniod Wailer? Get In Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.