Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,151 members, 7,835,845 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

Dropping In On Turkmenistan’s ‘Door To Hell’ – In Pictures - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Dropping In On Turkmenistan’s ‘Door To Hell’ – In Pictures (1215 Views)

Katsina Begins Door-to-door Search For Lagos, Abuja Returnees / Evolution Of The Beautiful City Of Dubai In Pictures / Construction Of Buhari Glass Tunnel In Abakaliki, Ebonyi State In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dropping In On Turkmenistan’s ‘Door To Hell’ – In Pictures by joelbooks: 1:04pm On Sep 07, 2020
The origin of Turkmenistan’s Darvaza Crater – nicknamed the “door to hell” – is disputed, but the theory most widely accepted involves a Soviet expedition to explore for gas.

A Turkmen geologist claims the borehole was set alight in 1971 after fears it was emitting poisonous gases. It has now been burning for 40 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtcaPbvWWGA
The crater, which is 69 metres wide and 30 metres deep, is located in a natural gas field in Ahal Province in Turkmenistan, which has the sixth largest reserves in the world.

George Kourounis, a Canadian explorer, became the first person known to have ventured into the pit last year, though footage of his expedition first aired this week on National Geographic, which partly funded the expedition. The aim was to collect soil samples from the bottom of the pit, to try to establish whether life can exist in such a harsh environment.

“The story behind how [the crater] came into existence has been sort of shrouded in mystery, and there’s no other place like it on Earth,” Kourounis told National Geographic. “It is very unique, in that there’s no other place where there is this pit of burning methane that’s being ejected from the ground at high pressure”.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/18/-sp-door-to-hell-turkmenistan-in-pictures

1 Like

Re: Dropping In On Turkmenistan’s ‘Door To Hell’ – In Pictures by joelbooks: 1:04pm On Sep 07, 2020
The project took 18 months to plan. The team set up a rope-rigging system over a river gorge to practice lowering Kourounis in. He even had a Hollywood stunt expert set him on fire a few times, to “prepare myself for not panicking being up close around flame”.

Kourounis admits he was a little nervous before the expedition.

“When you first set eyes on the crater, it’s like something out of a science fiction film,” he says. “You’ve got this vast, sprawling desert with almost nothing there, and then there’s this gaping, burning pit... The heat coming off of it is scorching.

“You have to shield your face with your hand just standing at the crater’s edge. Here I am thinking, ok , maybe I’ve bitten off a bit more than I can chew.”

To withstand the intense heat, Kourounis wore special breathing apparatus, a heat-reflective suit, and a custom-made climbing harness made out of Kevlar so that it would not melt.
https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/18/-sp-door-to-hell-turkmenistan-in-pictures

1 Share

Re: Dropping In On Turkmenistan’s ‘Door To Hell’ – In Pictures by joelbooks: 1:04pm On Sep 07, 2020
The crater has become a minor tourist attraction in Turkmenistan, though Kourounis says he didn’t have any trouble with crowds of people turning up to watch him. Only a few “tourist outfits” and a couple of people with camels passed by.

“Once you’re there – if you can find the place – you can drive up, get out of your car, walk over to the edge, and jump right in, if you want,” he says. “The choice is yours. And I’m so far the only person who has actually done that”.

Kourounis compared his experience of descending into the pit with what it might feel like to land on another planet. He describes it as a “coliseum of fire” made up of thousands of small flames, which together sound as loud as a jet engine.

You feel very, very small and very vulnerable in a place like that,” says Kourounis.

Kourounis and the team were happy with the results of their expedition, and believe it may even help to inform potential space missions in the future searching for signs of life outside of our solar system.

“We did find some bacteria living at the bottom that are very comfortable living in those high temperatures, and the most important thing was that they were not found in any of the surrounding soil outside of the crater,” he says. “Outside of our solar system, there are planets that do resemble the conditions inside this pit, and [knowing that] can help us expand the number of places where we can confidently start looking for life outside of our solar system.”

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dropping In On Turkmenistan’s ‘Door To Hell’ – In Pictures by Makavelli25: 1:06pm On Sep 07, 2020
Someone entered that thing
Re: Dropping In On Turkmenistan’s ‘Door To Hell’ – In Pictures by joelbooks: 1:13pm On Sep 07, 2020
Makavelli25:
Someone entered that thing
Turkmenistan is one of the most isolated countries in the world, yet its fledgling tourism industry hopes to capitalise on crater as an attraction for thrillseekers. Because it’s not fenced off, visitors can stand right on the edge of the crater, despite the safety hazards.

Turkmenistan is a country in Central Asia bordered by the Caspian Sea and largely covered by the Karakum Desert. It’s known for archaeological ruins including those at Nisa and Merv, major stops along the ancient trade route the Silk Road. Ashgabat, the capital, was rebuilt in Soviet style in the mid-20th century and is filled with grand monuments honoring former president Saparmurat Niyazov.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkmenistan

Re: Dropping In On Turkmenistan’s ‘Door To Hell’ – In Pictures by Nobody: 8:41pm On Sep 07, 2020
This seems to be a Sample of Hell Fire..

Let's Calm down and Have Some Personal time on the Matter of our Eternity..

We all Irrespective of who we are or whatever we Claim to be. We all Have Just 2 Eternal places. We all must be in one.

Heaven or Hell!
What we are Here is a cool zone Compared to Hell!

I Call on all to Amend their ways and Surrender to Jesus Christ so as to avoid Stories..
Re: Dropping In On Turkmenistan’s ‘Door To Hell’ – In Pictures by Vixlot: 11:24am On Sep 08, 2020
Chosen1984:

We all Irrespective of who we are or whatever we Claim to be. We all Have Just 2 Eternal places. We all must be in one.

Heaven or Hell!

I Call on all to Amend their ways and Surrender to Jesus Christ so as to avoid Stories..

Are you righteousness?
Re: Dropping In On Turkmenistan’s ‘Door To Hell’ – In Pictures by Nobody: 7:05pm On Sep 08, 2020
[s]
Chosen1984:

Heaven or Hell!

[/s]
So this is your second moniker? undecided
Re: Dropping In On Turkmenistan’s ‘Door To Hell’ – In Pictures by joelbooks: 11:04pm On Sep 08, 2020
Activist001:
[s][/s]
So this is your second moniker? undecided
Why are you asking him
Re: Dropping In On Turkmenistan’s ‘Door To Hell’ – In Pictures by Nobody: 11:32pm On Sep 08, 2020
joelbooks:

Why are you asking him
Did I ask you? undecided
Re: Dropping In On Turkmenistan’s ‘Door To Hell’ – In Pictures by joelbooks: 1:45pm On Sep 09, 2020
Activist001:

Did I ask you? undecided
Calm Down

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Abroad / Question On S.a. Study Permit / What Can I Import With 300,000 Naira From Dubai And At Least Cover My Cost?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.