Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,527 members, 7,823,294 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:13 AM

Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision - Culture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision (25408 Views)

Kalabari Traditional Wedding Culture in Rivers State / Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos / China People And Culture In Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Elysiana: 8:16pm On Sep 08, 2020
They re wasting their time
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by RapLawd(m): 8:44pm On Sep 08, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

I am igbo you dummy.
I am an igbo woman inheriting from her father

I don't care about any culture the only culture I see and respect is my own.
Also the only law I respect is the Nigerian law.
Every other customary law is subject to Nigerian law.

There are no consequences those consequencies are only scare tactics that exist in your imaginary head.
Go and use those consequences on the supreme court to change it's stance on the issue
Please can I ask you some questions regarding your submission on this issue?
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by obstead200(m): 8:48pm On Sep 08, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

Story.I am not going to any husband house it is our house because my name dey the property.
I don't need my husband's support he should not even have an opinion in what I choose to do with regards to my father's property.No court ruling will be different for anyone because of status it does not apply,seek knowledge before talking.The case will not be treated differently because of marital status it will use the case as a precedence and will only apply what the law says whether she is married or not.There is no different ruling for a married woman.So a woman fighting for her constitutionally backed right is ridiculing herself?you are not serious such a backward way of thinking you have.
Also note that I am female and igbo inheriting from my father and my brother knows this very well too so my family is not like that to begin with my own family is enlightened and supportive.What your wife chooses to do should with her brothers or inheritance should not even be your business .
I don't even know the point of this argument. Even if Ur father made a will and gave u a share, it is ok Na. But am pretty sure Ur brothers will have larger shares. And Ur father will never will his ancestral lands and building to u. Stop lying, he won't do it. He might give u a house he built elsewhere, or shares he bought in a company etc. But Ur brothers will still have a larger share.

But if Ur dad did not leave a will, then good luck fighting in a court of law. I know that following precedence, the court may want to rule in Ur favour. But I am sure u have been following election cases. Precedence could be easily ignored in deciding cases
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Minjim: 8:50pm On Sep 08, 2020
Ab0bi:
The legislative....how many women have the guts to take their family members to court and risk being disown!?

It can be implemented but it won't be EXECUTED BY THE IGBO'S!!

It's a FUTILE effort!

It's all left to the individual.
You can't force the horse to drink water
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by AmazonTopaz(f): 9:12pm On Sep 08, 2020
Justpassingby45:

First and foremost you are not Igbo neither are you female.
You wish anyway keep being delusional you cannot tell me what I am.
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by AmazonTopaz(f): 9:21pm On Sep 08, 2020
obstead200:
I don't even know the point of this argument. Even if Ur father made a will and gave u a share, it is ok Na. But am pretty sure Ur brothers will have larger shares. And Ur father will never will his ancestral lands and building to u. Stop lying, he won't do it. He might give u a house he built elsewhere, or shares he bought in a company etc. But Ur brothers will still have a larger share.

But if Ur dad did not leave a will, then good luck fighting in a court of law. I know that following precedence, the court may want to rule in Ur favour. But I am sure u have been following election cases. Precedence could be easily ignored in deciding cases
Nope I have just one brother more sisters and we all get an equal share.My father does not have any ancestral land and could careless about that he is learned enough and knows the law that benefits all his children not just my brother.
Brothers have a larger share because he has penis no not my father he loves his daughters more we have equal shares in percentages.If it is 2 rooms per person.
Also it is as a respect for tradition that you see women not challenging ancestral lands that does not mean it is impossible or that the court will not rule in the woman's favour if the father dies without a will.Every land belongs to the government and if a woman challenges an ancestral property heaven will not fall but as a result of respect and peace you see many woman turning the other cheek and don't decide to go to court because if she does the court can rule in her favour it does not mean that it is impossible.The funny thing is that many ancestral lands of today have turned into thick bush forest with nothing to write home about them.
Judgment from a higher court is always binding on a lower court and binding precedence cannot be ignored by a lower court unless given valid reasons to.Only the supreme court can overturn any issue(it's decision)no other court including the appeal court can overturn the judgment of the supreme court.It is only when the precedence is from a lower court or a court of co-ordinate jurisdiction that is when such precedence can be ignored with a valid reason.
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by AmazonTopaz(f): 9:25pm On Sep 08, 2020
RapLawd:

Please can I ask you some questions regarding your submission on this issue?
Go ahead
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by baby124: 10:51pm On Sep 08, 2020
bukatyne:

I think he was talking about their ancestral land.

Is all Yoruba land non ancestral?
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by ZZ22: 12:18am On Sep 09, 2020
LaboPolitics:

You are a yoruba champion of 'female emancipation' in Igboland, pointing crooked ewedu-stained fingers on another custom.

So we ask you, are yoruba women not in need of the same 'emancipation' that you pose to administer in other regions? Why have you marginalized your yoruba women from attaining the highest cultural stools in yorubaland?

Are you cursed with hypocrisy?
I wonder how these people that hate Igbos to the bones will come here pretending like they love Igbo girls more than their father..

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Oritsewhandey(m): 5:33am On Sep 09, 2020
Awwache:
lolcheesy
Backwardness.
People help defend hapless women like you yet glorify gorilla tradition that treats you tissue.
Now I get it. Ncans.
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by afroxyz: 12:34pm On Sep 10, 2020
topboss:
[s][/s]

THE ONLY DUTY AN IGBO MAN OWE TO HIS DAUGHTER IS TO LOVE HER, CARE FOR HER, PROVIDE FOR HER, PROTECT HER AND TRAIN HER TO REACH ARE FULLEST POTENTIAL.

MANY EVEN SEND THEIR DAUGHTER TO STUDY IN UNIVERSITIES ABROAD IN UK, USA, EUROPE.

THIS IS WAT I PERSONALLY OWE MY DAUGHTER, THE OTHER AREA U PEOPLE ARE GOING, IS AN ABOMINATION IN IGBO LAND.

IT IMPLES THAT THE FATHER AND DAUGHTER ARE INCESTIOUS.

IN IGBO LAND, WOMEN INHERIT THEIR HUSBAND PROPERTY AND THAT IS Y WE CALL THEM ORIAKU.

Go and read. Stop quoting what people have told you. Abomination and Ohafia is still existing

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Two ‘Next-In-Lines’ That Never Became Olubadan Of Ibadan In Recent Years / Salihu Tanko, Emir Of Kagara Is Dead / Amosun Reconciles Awujale Of Ijebuland And Alake Of Egbaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.