Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,546 members, 7,955,026 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:49 PM

Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? (28761 Views)

APC Would’ve Lost To Atiku If Osinbajo Got APC Ticket – Igbokwe Counters Sanusi / Wike Told Atiku If APC Had Picked Osinbajo He Would Have Declared For APC. / PDP May Replace Atiku If .............. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Sep 08, 2020
NGpatriot:

Tell your bro that the government can not keep subsidizing everything because it is unsustainable.

Tariff must align with the cost of generation, distribution and transmission, if not, investors won't invest in the power sector because they can not recoup their investments or make ends meet.

I blame the government for shielding Nigerians from these obvious realities for decades, but better late than never because it is unsustainable.

We are broke and we can not keep borrowing to fund subsidies and recurrent expenditures. doing so means bankruptcy.

Dear APC media guy, please let me be.
Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by NGpatriot: 10:28pm On Sep 08, 2020
surgical:
same shit all the time,which investor,you think we are as dumb as you guys,like take the price to ten times what it is now,no investor will come under this regime,cause there are other determinants of FDI, the government is just using Nigerians for experiment.

I don't have time for low mentality argument and silly conspiracy theories.
Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by Dogeland: 11:06pm On Sep 08, 2020
The price of refined petrol is tied to the price of its primary source which is crude oil..
So if the price of crude oil is down,how come we have been continuously buying petrol at higher prices?

COULD be differential in exchange rates between the past and the present.
Convert back to the costs in dollars vis a vis exchange rates in the past and present and compare the actual values
This is my my opinion based on limited knowledge and observation. I am not an expert; there are other variables....
Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by Risingblue008(m): 11:54pm On Sep 08, 2020
abouzaid:
Oil Marketers Deny NNPC On
N5.35bn Petrol Subsidy Payment
Okechukwu Nnodim, Abuja

Oil marketers on Monday expressed
surprise over the resurfacing of
petrol subsidy in June 2020 as
disclosed by the Nigerian National
Petroleum Corporation in its latest
operations report. According to
marketers of petrol, the government
had since March this year declared
that the downstream oil sector had
been deregulated and as such there
was no need for petrol subsidy.
The Independent Petroleum
Marketers Association of Nigeria and
the Petroleum Products Retail Outlets
Owners Association of Nigeria told
our correspondent in Abuja that they
had not received any subsidy
payments from government. The
PUNCH reported on Monday that
NNPC made an under-recovery of
N5.35bn in June. Under-recovery is
the losses incurred by the oil firm
due to the difference between the
subsidised price at which the
corporation sells petrol and the price
which it should have received to
meet its production cost. The Group
General Manager, Group Public
Affairs, Division, NNPC, Kennie
Obateru, had explained that the
return of under-recovery in June was
due to the payment for stock held by
marketers at the onset of the removal
of subsidy by the Federal
Government. “Since the subsidy
removal started with reduction in
pump price, marketers have been
paid the differential of the PPPRA
verified stock they held and it is
spread over a period of six months,”
he said. But the National Public
Relations Officer, IPMAN, Ukadike
Chinedu, said it was surprising to
hear of subsidy payments when the
downstream sector had been
deregulated. He said, “They didn’t
pay us any subsidy money. You are
also aware that the market has been
deregulated. We are now dispensing
products based on international
crude oil market price. “Furthermore,
you are aware of the price regime
and this regime is regulated by the
price of crude oil in the international
market. So, where is the subsidy
coming from?”
Chinedu added, “You are also aware
that in the months of February,
March, April, May and June, the
PPPRA released guiding prices for
petrol based on price deregulation.
So as at what point did the subsidy
come in?
On whether marketers got any
support when the pump price of
petrol crashed from over N140 per
litre to about N125 per litre some
months ago, the IPMAN official said
nothing of such happened. Chinedu
said, “There is no differential that
was paid to us because when they
reduced the cost of the product from
N145 to N123, they did not pay any
differential to anybody.
https://punchng.com/oil-marketers-
deny-nnpc-on-n5-35bn-petrol-
subsidy-payment/
Out of this big text book wey u write na only 2 likes,,,see our problem,,,we dey try to act as if we know pass naija herself
Loll
Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by Simplyleo: 11:59pm On Sep 08, 2020
freeborn02:

What did Atiku do that hasn't been done under buhari?
Oya, more of that pls. grin grin grin

I don't want to derail the other thread.

Im really enjoying the sound. grin grin grin
Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by freeborn02: 12:36am On Sep 09, 2020
Simplyleo:

Oya, more of that pls. grin grin grin

I don't want to derail the other thread.

Im really enjoying the sound. grin grin grin

Ok

May you labor in vain and a stranger eat the fruit of your labor. Amen.

May this melody of curses resound in your home forever in Jesus name. Amen.
Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by Simplyleo: 1:23am On Sep 09, 2020
freeborn02:

Ok

May you labor in vain and a stranger eat the fruit of your labor. Amen.

May this melody of curses resound in your home forever in Jesus name. Amen.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Even in Jesus name. grin grin grin grin grin grin

Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by grandstar(m): 1:31am On Sep 09, 2020
This man is saying utter nonsense and the snake politician in him Is what is at work

Every Economist knew the fuel prices were lower than that set in the market and was what adversely affecting the downstream sector. That's why the populace wanted a subsidy to remain.

What is needed with petrol pricing is the full deregulation of the price as done with diesel. That will draw out the beast in the petroleum sector through massive investment.

All that happened with oil was simply an increase in price. As long as government keeps fixing the price, the downstream sector can't be the juggernaut it should be.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by obi58: 1:55am On Sep 09, 2020
amc:
Atikuloot is an olodo who didn't go to school, just like some of his followers who agree with his tweet.

The answer is CURRENCY DEVALUATION.

What's responsible for the current devaluation of the naira?
Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by alphaNomega: 3:01am On Sep 09, 2020
Originakalokalo:

Don't bother sir.

You don't belong to the kingdom I am talking about.

Those that belong understand what I posted.

Thanks for your advice though.
Lol. Kingdom? Your so-called king is a slave driver!
Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by bigfish3k: 5:07am On Sep 09, 2020
bigtt76:
Theoretically, he's right but he also failed to put into consideration the following:

1. We import the refined product in dollars and the importers need to source the dollars at the prevailing exchange rates
2. The final cost of the product is based on the product's landing cost (taxes + import duties + cost to transport product etc)
3. Low crude oil price translates to low dollars inflow into the country which means high exchange rate due to high demand

By the time all of these are taken into consideration, the price to the end-users would shoot up. This scenario would be different if our refineries are working but as we all know, the refineries are being sabotaged because of the people who are benefiting from the importation of refined products.

Nigeria needs a patriotic leader like Kim Jun Un as president so as to deal with the refinery saboteurs
Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by bigfish3k: 5:14am On Sep 09, 2020
saajus:
Atiku should have researched the total cost of production. Production cost may have increased. The meaning of subsidy is that Govt is not subsidizing anything, not that our pump price will be reflecting the global market price. Oil price has no effect on the cost of production. Cost of production is still the same. Our cost of production is still high.

Why should l our own cost of production be higher than other countries.
Is it a local technology?
Do we refine crude here?
Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by bigfish3k: 5:17am On Sep 09, 2020
Nfora:
Atiku is a total disappointment!

Subsidy kept the fuel price lower than the global markets,including that of USA.

The subsidy was removed just this year,May 2020.And Atiku is comparing USA 2019 price.

Even a primary school student would expect an automatic rise in the price,without the subsidy .

We are importing fuel ,oil price has gone up,exchange rate has gone up,subsidy has been removed and Atiku expects price reduction. What a shame!

Anyway I am not surprised.

You get messed up in a bid to be populist and playing to the gallery and emotions, in a matter that requires only the application of elementary logic.

I beg it is not by force to be president of Nigeria oooo...
See how all of you zombies are justifying fuel import.
Is this what was promised during APC campaign?
Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by bigfish3k: 5:21am On Sep 09, 2020
Kubernetes:

PEF is a fund set-up by the Nigerian government for the reimbursement of petroleum marketing companies for any losses suffered by them arising from the sale of petroleum products at uniform prices throughout Nigeria,but the marketers despite this payment,they still hide the petrol to make it scarce and DPR has not been able to tackle this issue
Ladyexcellency was right. You are both saying the same thing.
It suppose not to exist under "no subsidy" regime except we are deceiving ourselves once again
Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by bigfish3k: 5:27am On Sep 09, 2020
Kubernetes:

PEF is a fund set-up by the Nigerian government for the reimbursement of petroleum marketing companies for any losses suffered by them arising from the sale of petroleum products at uniform prices throughout Nigeria,but the marketers despite this payment,they still hide the petrol to make it scarce and DPR has not been able to tackle this issue
Ladyexcellency was right. You are both saying the same thing.
Equalization fund suppose not to exist under "no subsidy regime" except we are deceiving ourselves once again
Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by bigfish3k: 5:30am On Sep 09, 2020
NovusHomo:

And of course Atiku seems to have forgotten that refined Petroleum is imported, and that import is paid for in $s, and that our foreign reserve in those $s is low, that we are deeply indebted... The guy should stop playing politics with his selective amnesia.
You APC zombies are shamelessly reciting about how we import fuel after 5yrs of your messiah government.
Do we have any business importing fuel?
Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by Baiser(m): 5:42am On Sep 09, 2020
Please Nigerians dont be deceived

Buhari, ameachi and elrufai did more than this during pdps time.
Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by bigfish3k: 5:45am On Sep 09, 2020

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by bigfish3k: 6:01am On Sep 09, 2020
nextstep:
What country is Uncle living in?

Nigerians use imported petrol, bought with dollars, which has jumped from #350 to #470 in one year. The dollars were obtained with crude oil, which has fallen in price.

Not only that, the old price was the subsidized price (i.e. it was not true market cost). When subsidy is removed, cost of fuel should rise to its real value.

I think Uncle knows all this - after all he is an astute businessman - but I suspect he just wants to rile people. I'm not a Buhari apologist, but this tweet reeks of opportunism, not genuine concern.
Are we supposed to be importing fuel after 5yrs of APC governance
Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by sirkonfirm: 7:01am On Sep 09, 2020
What
Officialgarri:
Atiku better sit down patiently with the person that explained the economics behind deregulation instead of rushing to social media.
These people called Politicians are just as dumb as anyone.

Fine, when Buhari first deregulated in 2016, Oil price dropped "due to competition" by 1 naira, but what happened after, it flew right up to #145.
This is because Oil is always in high demand and the higher the demand the higher the price.

Officialgarri's law states that "Any product with increasing demand and without corporate regulations will have it's market price competing mostly at increasing prices" e.g Cryptocurrencies
Hence, the introduction of subsidy. If not for regulation and subsidies, gas was initially supposed to be selling at about #179 but the Government pays about #46.

So someone tell me something interesting about deregulation

what a trash, deceit of highest level
Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by orisa37: 7:04am On Sep 09, 2020
I think that the DSS, EFCC AND THE CABAL ARE INVOLVED NEGATIVELY WITH THE SOURCING AND DISTRIBUTION OF PETROLEUM PRODUCTS.
Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by nextstep(m): 7:21am On Sep 09, 2020
bigfish3k:

Are we supposed to be importing fuel after 5yrs of APC governance

We are not oh my brother... in fact I'm eagerly awaiting Dangote's refinery.

But it's like the issue of importing fuel is too much for any president to conquer... from mid 70's till now.
Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by Oyiboman69: 7:48am On Sep 09, 2020
Officialgarri:
Atiku better sit down patiently with the person that explained the economics behind deregulation instead of rushing to social media.

Fine, when Buhari first deregulated in 2016, Oil price dropped "due to competition" by 1 naira, but what happened after, it flew right up to #145.
This is because Oil is always in high demand and the higher the demand the higher the price.

Officialgarri's law states that "Any product with increasing demand and without corporate regulations will have it's market price competing mostly at increasing prices" e.g Cryptocurrencies
Hence, the introduction of subsidy. If not for regulation and subsidies, gas was initially supposed to be selling at about #179 but the Government pays about #46.

Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by Oyiboman69: 8:00am On Sep 09, 2020
Racoon:

You have aptly surmised it bro.The best thing is for the government/NNPC hands off regulating the price & sole handling of petroleum products & let the market forces determine it for once.

Let them pass the PIB, deregulate the downstream sector & open up the market.The subsidy regime is profiting the cabal that have kept our refineries in their present comatose state despite the huge TAM and other humongous overhead costs.
The way you people talk always is like you've not been in this country and its sometimes annoying...ever since the emergence of this useless government,when has the naira gain against the dollars?. Is it not because of those bad policies they've been projected? Abet no let me vex

Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by Originakalokalo(m): 8:02am On Sep 09, 2020
alphaNomega:
Lol. Kingdom? Your so-called king is a slave driver!

Thank you for the information.

Peace.

1 Like

Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by lexy2014: 11:21am On Sep 09, 2020
Officialgarri:

Pls which "deregulation" did buhari deregulated in 2016? Explain what he deregulated & how he deregulated
Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by lexy2014: 11:23am On Sep 09, 2020
nextstep:

We are not oh my brother... in fact I'm eagerly awaiting Dangote's refinery.

But it's like the issue of importing fuel is too much for any president to conquer... from mid 70's till now.

It's d money that they make from importation that is too much. Not that stoping importation is too much to conquer
Re: Atiku: If We Truly Deregulated, Shouldn’t Fuel Price Drop? by lexy2014: 11:24am On Sep 09, 2020
NovusHomo:

And of course Atiku seems to have forgotten that refined Petroleum is imported, and that import is paid for in $s, and that our foreign reserve in those $s is low, that we are deeply indebted...

And who is responsible for all these things u have mentioned? Is it atiku or buhari?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan Visits Babangida, Abdulsalam In Minna (Photos) / FG Retires Isah Idris (Acting Immigration Boss) / Let's Make Peace Before It's Too Late – Onyeka Onwenu Says In Tearful Message

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.