Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,127 members, 7,825,532 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency (20945 Views)

Tinubu Breaks Silence On Amotekun , Says Amotekun Not Threat To National Unity / Soyinka Slams Musa Balarabe Over Comment On Amotekun / FG Takes New Decision On Amotekun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by Nobody: 6:16pm On Sep 09, 2020
Fvck power shift! How is the average citizen benefiting from the president coming from his region anyway? I don't know why these clowns are scared of Amotekun if they don't have any hidden agenda.
Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by Tochj(m): 6:17pm On Sep 09, 2020
I don't like APC as a party but I love the way Akeredolu is standing firm against ds Fulani bigotry.
I will vote him if I have the chance.
I pray he wins bcoz any other Governor might sellout the way Igbo Governors are doing.
Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by Nobody: 6:24pm On Sep 09, 2020
LaboPolitics:

Zik...

Thanks for the laugh. Next joke please.
Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by DEROX: 6:25pm On Sep 09, 2020
masseratti:
igbos were with the north too, infact they are still with the North they are rooting for Atiku, dont pay Evi for evil always show kindness, a word is enough for the wise.
No need let them be with atiku we don't care atiku is from northeast an outcast in the northern region while buhari(king of the north) is from northwest the real 7 children of bayajida the founder of northern region.And by 2023 the only thing is for buhari to raise the hand of osinbajo or jagaban.Did you even know the north rejected atiku partly because of peter obi? Forget north don't love them too same as southafrica and currently Ghana
Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by ThatFairGuy1: 6:25pm On Sep 09, 2020
History555:

Anybody can claim to be chigozirim. I can claim to be babatunde and start abusing Yorubas.
He's confirm Igbo. Check him with that name on FB as well
Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by pharmagba: 6:54pm On Sep 09, 2020
Coronabirus:

Hisbah with weapons u said?
So I rest my case because there is no concrete assertion in ur point.
Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by francisbiz: 7:17pm On Sep 09, 2020
DiagnoPolitics:

Ewedu jibiti man stop deceiving your skull, you yorubas are not united. Muric have already destroyed any atom of unity you have. Tinubu and other yorubas have sold you to the north. grin grin

Menu ebe isi eme mistake.
Just continue to remove the spec in people's eyes and the log in you eyes is killing you.
Leave others alone and face yourself, Rocha's is there, orji kalu is there, all Igbo governors sold Igbo's out and agreed and declare IPOB a terrorist group; who is the worst traitor and sell out.
Guy be wise and stop ranting. I am a Igbo and I don't need to explain that to you_because you are not wort it

Stop being childish and
Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by Totobulie: 7:25pm On Sep 09, 2020
trutharena:

Lol, you don't know history and that is sad.

Yoruba have been elected thrice through the ballot, a feat the Igbos have NEVER achieved.

Also, check every election since 1979, the Yorubas have ALWAYS given BLOC vote if the Presidential candidate is a Yoruba man.

Check 1979, 1983, 1993, 1999, and 2003 election results to validate my claim.

However the Igbos are confused entity that have consistently given the Fulanis more chance against their own because of blind loyalty to a party. You did that for Zik, Ojukwu, and etc.

The Yorubas only have divided vote when the presidential candidate is from another tribe. Check the election results!

I have always told my Yoruba neighbor that you guys are very myopic and tribal but he keeps arguing. Voting your own more than you vote others will never make your country work.
Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by MoIbrahim: 7:31pm On Sep 09, 2020
pharmagba:

Go and sit down I have been living in Kano since 2006 and I can educate you on the genesis and metamorphosis of Hisbah

Thank God you have been in Kano, and you are brilliant enough and willing to educate us.

Don't give any excuse o, and don't write one or two incomplete paragraphs in the name of educating us on "genesis and metamorphosis of Hisbah".

Oya, talk am now now...
Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by ceaser: 7:38pm On Sep 09, 2020
Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by LaboPolitics: 8:14pm On Sep 09, 2020
ledaman:
Zik wasn't elected, he was appointed bros!

By who? grin

Olodo rapata! You must be lover of fish head. grin
Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by LaboPolitics: 8:16pm On Sep 09, 2020
geosegun:

So, not dancing to the whims and caprices of both the North and the southEast is now wickedness? I don't seems to understand your submission.

For the records, Yorubas are not pushovers and you all know it. We decide the FATE of the nation, called Nigeria and that's a fact.

Rubbish chest-beating ewedu gorillas.

Decide the fate Illorin Emirate first before beating your beating your chest like Simian apes.
Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by One4me: 9:44pm On Sep 09, 2020
ceaser:

I beg to differ. Yorubas have done well to move on away from the hurts and betrayals from their South Eastern brothers in the execution of the coup and even the civil war, to the effect that their properties were cared for and kept intact till their return after the war.

But a fact that has been established over the years is that the Igbos relish keeping malice as if they were the only saints in the war. They keep playing the victim up to this day. As if that was not enough, they looove to re-write history to suit their narratives and paint themselves in such saintly light.

Suffice it to say that this problem is mainly by the newer generation that did not witness the war; this is the generation that Nnamdi Kanu belong to and that is why it is so easy for him to insult and accuse the rest of the country without self-control. He declares renewed war with the Yorubas and twist the narratives of the war to his contemporary new gullibles who swallow all he dishes out unquestionably and without research. The elderly among the South East will tell the true picture of the story and will not be quick to beat the drums of war as you guys are won't to do.

Read this:

[b]My Rejoinder to Persistent Accusation Against the Yoruba by Our Igbo Brothers on a Pan-Nigerian Platform.

The answer to your question was that Igbo in cahoots with the North of the Nigeria country put Awolowo in prison, but Igbo became the greatest beneficiaries. I shall elaborate on that towards the end of this factual account of history.

Proverbially speaking, Igbo people will seldom appreciate you if they enter your house and you welcome them with your food and drinks. Their eyes will be on your wife too, and failing to offer her to them as well, would be seen as your unwillingness to appreciate their handsome selves who had cared to pay you a visit! That describes their attitude towards their best friends on earth: the Yoruba. Yes, Igbo people, sit down and survey your peregrinations across Nigeria and the world and you would find that Yoruba people are your best friends.

The Igbo/Yoruba dichotomy began with the false narrative of Chinua Achebe, which is their favourite account like the Cathecism, that Awolowo orchestrated "a daylight robbery" of Zik's "mandate" to be Premier of the Western Region in 1954.

Achebe said in his book "The Trouble With Nigeria" that he was a student at the University College, Ibadan, when the "daylight robbery" occured.

But what was the fact? It's worth repeating before the Igbo false accusers for the umpteenth time because their hearts seethe in that hatred borne of patent biased reportage of events that Awolowo usurped what was supposed to be an Igbo leadership mandate over Yorubaland and associated ethnic groups of the old Western Region.

Don't forget that the elections of 1954 was conducted by the British and it was six years away from independence. The fact of the matter was that neither Awolowo's Action Group nor Zik's NCNC had enough seats in the Western Region's Parliament in Ibadan to form a Government when the votes were counted and who won which seats became public knowledge. Both parties then had to resort to wooing candidates of the smaller parties like the Ibadan Peoples Party and Mabolaje Grand Alliance to form a coalition with them.

The Action Group, of course, went to work assiduously, promising the candidates cabinet positions. On the day the parliament was opened, the white governor of Western Region asked the parliamentarians to signify their affiliations for the records. That was how most of the smaller parties' candidates openly declared their alliance with the Action Group. That was how Awolowo became the Premier. Go to Federal Archives at the University of Ibadan. The election results and parliamentary hansards of the time are there in original forms.

But backtrack to recall that from 1951 to 1954, Awolowo was already a quasi-premier of the West with the title of "Leader of Government Busines". That's why in his autobiography he has a chapter titled "Eight Years of of Office". That is,1951 -1959. He was already a burgeoning legend among his people as a sterling performer. The Igbo had hoped to truncate our pace-setting advancement in education, rural development, industry etc, with Zik taking over from him. I'm sure most Igbo of this generation don't know Awolowo had led the West for about three years before ZIK sought to upstage him.

The lie that Chinua Achebe swallowed alongside his umunna who had converged around the parliament building in Ibadan wearing their ishiagu for the crowning of an Igbo King over Yoruba people was dished out by Zik. He lamented to the press outside the parliament building at the end of swearing in that he had been betrayed. That all those who teamed up with Awolowo were his political associates whose support he had taken for granted. He claimed they simply defected overnight and blamed it on cultic loyalty. Maybe they were Ogbonis. LOL.

Igbo people had to believe him then hook, line, and sinker. He was their political god just as Awolowo was to most Yoruba people.

But, no sir! Those coalition members won their seats on their own steam just as you, Zik, had won yours with Yoruba votes in Yorubaland. They had the freedom to associate with who they wanted. They opted for Awolowo and his Action Group not so much because they were even playing Yoruba ethnic card but because they had a deal! Politics is a game of interest. Chief Augustus Meredith Akinloye of the Ibadan People's Party, for instance, had been promised a cabinet position. Of course, he couldn't have been deceived because if that had happened he could defect and the Action Group ruling coalition would collapse. He became Minister of Agriculture, Western Region.

Meanwhile, Zik became the Leader of Opposition in the Western Region but he was soon pressed by his Igbo kinsmen to leave a region where he had won an election to represent Yoruba people for the Eastern Region where they went to lay the foundation of hatred and hostility between themselves and their minority compatriots of today's Southsouth zone by removing Prof. Eyo Ita, a NCNC leader in his own right, as Premier. The Igbo had majority seats anyway. Zik then became premier. A surrogate in the Eastern parliament vacated his own seat for him.

I return to my opening line. The real act of provocation, which could have led to attacks on Igbo in Yorubaland, were Yoruba not the hospitable and liberal people they are, and which set the stage for the collapse of the First Republic, was laid by the Igbo in cahoots with the north with which they had a ruling federal coalition in Lagos.

It was the NCNC/NPC coalition that framed up Awolowo in a phantom coup d'etat when they could no longer tolerate him as Leader of the Opposition at the Federal Parliament and, of course, to takeover his sphere of influence.

With Awolowo held in Calabar prison for no just cause, the Igbo quickly pressed for the issue of creation of new regions of which Awolowo was the chief advocate as laid out in his autobiography published in 1960 months to independence in October. But they only wanted the Midwest Region he had proposed. They didn't want the COR (Calabar, Ogoja, Rivers) region, equally in the proposal. That would have split their Eastern empire. And, of course, their senior northern partner wouldn't brook any suggestion of a Middle Belt region, also proposed by Awolowo.

Thus, we had a situation where the smallest region in the country was split, while the bigger ones were kept intact. The Igbo plot worked as planned. In August 1963, a second class Igbo (that's by Igbo standard) from Asaba, in the person of Chief Dennis Osadebey, an old boy of Zik's alma mater, the Hope Waddell Training Institute, Calabar, became Premier of the Midwest Region. Hurray, Igbo now had two premiers!

By that, it was believed Awolowo's sphere of influence had been diminished forever.

Then the Igbo went for the bigger goal. They wanted to upstage their Arewa partners from power. They then formed an alliance with the rump of the traumatised and divided Action Group of Awolowo. Earlier, in 1959, they had rejected the same alliance with Awolowo for Zik to be Prime Minister and Awolowo, Minister of Finance. They belatedly formed an NCNC/Action Group alliance known as the United Progressives Grand Alliance (UPGA) for them to control federal powers in addition to two regions.

D-Day was 30 December 1964 when the general elections were held. Meanwhile, the Arewa senior partners in the NPC had wizened up to the Igbo game and also formed an alliance with another faction of the Action Group led by Chief Akintola. They then had what was called the Nigerian National Alliance (NNA). They won! Chief Akintola, without Awolowo's support, had successfully launched a counter-coup on the Igbo splitting of the Western Region by aligning with the north. The ensuing cabinet produced only three Igbo as Federal Ministers as against seven Yoruba. The Igbos were Raymond Njoku, Jaja Wachukwu, and K.O. Mbadiwe. This development, northerners have quietly argued, was the beginning of the coup of 15 January 1966. It is argued that the Igbo political elites, who had lost out, instigated Igbo boys in the military to strike. And that was why no civilian or military casualties were recorded in the whole East during the coup. But Chief Akintola and his newfound northern partners were all eliminated.

I draw you back. You know Yoruba people fight on principles. They launched massive agitations against Akintola for selling out to the northerners. They were not appeased by seven cabinet positions that didn't have the blessings of Awolowo and his progressive lieutenants languishing unjustly in prison. Operation Wetie began in earnest, shaking Balewa in Lagos and Akintola in Ibadan. Somebody had put on the body form of my highly esteemed friend, Prof. Wole Soyinka, to attempt stoppage of the announcement of the election results at gunpoint at Radio House in Ibadan for which the real Soyinka (LOL) was tried and freed by Justice Kayode Eso. Go and read Justice Eso's memoirs titled THE MYSTERY GUN MAN.

Eventually, Aguiyi Ironsi came to power. Awolowo petitioned him for his release. He rebuffed him till northern troops removed him from power. Then Gowon released Awolowo and invited him to join his government and stabilised the country then careening into chaos.

Igbo declared secession. A civil war ensued. They lost. At the end, they picked their favourite scapegoat, Awolowo, for their defeat The accusations traversed the war operations to post-war settlement.

First, he betrayed them, having promised them that if they declared secession, Yoruba would follow. Ask yourself, on what grounds? An old man just out of prison! A civilian! To declare secession in confrontation with Gen. Gowon who had just pitied him and set him free! Something an Ironsi had refused to do! How does that add up? Well, since it's Awolowo who had prevented Igbo premiership of Yorubaland, it must add up.

Second, he starved them during the war. Of course, General Gowon must have been too naive as a British-trained military officer to understand the implications of giving an unimpeded corridor of food supply to enemy territory in war! Awolowo had to teach him that the food was being hijacked by the Biafran troops.

Third, and back to what prompted this recollections ab initio. The accusation of £20. Honest Igbo know the truth. First and foremost, records of Nigerian banks in the East had been destroyed during the war as banks were prime targets of unruly elements among combatants on both sides during the civil war. Hence, apart from their passbooks, most Igbo claiming they had money in the banks had no proof. Many had even lost their passbooks. It was an era when there were no computers to keep soft copies of records or backups. Everything was done manually and in hard copies.

It was a mark of the magnanimity of the Federal Government that it created a fund from which banks were to pay £20 each to any Igbo with some proof of bank account ownership. It was a blanket thing. Even if you had £1 balance in your account you would get the £20. But those who had proof, especially those in the West - Lagos, Ibadan, Abeokuta etc - where their banking records were intact, had their accounts reactivated.

If anything, the Igbo had, over the years, rendered evil as reward to the only ethnic group in Nigeria that had received them with open arms, including Zik, from the time this country was established till date. If anyone should be held back by the unkindness of old, it should be the Yoruba against the Igbo and not the other way round. It's the Yoruba, among whom Igbo have found accommodation and toleration more than anywhere else they had ever set their foot upon on earth, who should be talking of Igbo betrayal, Igbo unfriendliness, and Igbo selfishness.

But it's one of those ironies of life that the victim is made the accused by his traducers. The Yoruba cosmopolitan outlook and liberal-mindedness is what have kept Nigeria one till date. It's only the Yoruba who have never unleashed violence against other groups. Not that they are contented with their lot in Nigeria or because they're cowards. It's not just in their DNA to spill blood carelessly! The only times they've engaged in any major public disturbances that cost lives (their own lives) were mainly to protest oppression and injustice visited on them and it was limited only to their space. They never went after non-Yoruba as scapegoats. That was during Operation Wetie and Agbekoya Revolt in the 60s and June 12 demonstrations in the 90s.

Let us hope that one day, some sections of Nigeria won't have to look back and regret that they blew their goodwill with the Yoruba.

If you hear of anybody supporting Igbo presidency outside Igboland today, who is not Yoruba, please, tell me. The same thing applied to Igbo sympathisers during the civil war: the Wole Soyinkas, Tai Solarins, the Col. Victor Banjos, the Prof. Sam Alukos of this world etc. They were all Yoruba, and some of them got imprisoned for it like Wole Soyinka. Col. Banjo wasn't as lucky. He was rewarded with bullets!

And recall that Col. Adekunle Fajuyi had died alongside Gen. Ironsi in July 1967 when northern soldiers came for the latter in Ibadan because Fajuyi didn't want the impression to be created, as the northerners wanted it, that Ironsi's death was a Yoruba set up. He chose to be executed with his Igbo commander in-chief who wasn't gracious enough to release Awolowo, his fatherly kinsman, from prison when he had the power to do so! How common is such vicariousness?

The Yoruba are still open to forging a meaningful partnership with the Igbo to safeguard and promote a glorious future. I hope voices of historically false accusations would allow the detente to reach its denouement[/b]

Excellente!
Any Igbo person who is interested in the TRUTH, as the basis of a Relationship with Yorubas, need to look at this Excerpts objectively
But l wont bet on it. "Self Deciet" is Blissful most times
. undecided

1 Like

Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by One4me: 9:54pm On Sep 09, 2020
masseratti:
oga please stop this nonsense in the name of online argument... Am Yoruba what you wrote up there is very toxic and it will affect us all, igbo, ijaw Yoruba... This is not 1960,a Yoruba man must be above board in Nigeria.. Bring out your ọmọlúwàbí qualities, i stop reading where you said if the speaker pass the land grabbing act, do you think the Fulanis know the difference between an igbo and a Yoruba man? E je ki a sọ ara wa oooo... Please, thank you.

I AGREE WITH YOU 101%.
Omo'luabi must always remember and remain Omo'luabi, no matter the provocation.
Oruko ti ama'somo wa, inu eni ni'igbe. undecided
Eeyin lo'oro.

1 Like

Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by ludd2018: 9:57pm On Sep 09, 2020
Yorubas are very intelligent people with many professors and intellects but today cattle rearers are dictating for them because they allowed the hate for Igbos to becloud their sense of reasoning . Fulanis used them to conquer Nigeria . You continue to pursue igbos while fulanis continue to hold grip on Nigeria. SHAME
Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by One4me: 10:05pm On Sep 09, 2020
Nchenches:
But it’s unimaginable that SW people can despise the Igbo quest for presidency, as SW talks about getting the presidency in 2023.

What happens to rotation through which the SW ever got the presidency in 1999?

Because without rotation, no SW candidate could have won the presidency in 1999 given the new political structure of Nigeria ultimately crafted by late Sani Abacha.

Dont mix-up issues!
1999 was a compensation for the INJUSTICE the North did to a Yoruba man who clearly won the first, most free and fair election in Nigeria, M.K.O Abiola, which IBB, Abacha and his Northern Cabal truncated.
1999 has NOTHING to do with Rotational Presidency.

And Yes, the Yorubas will support an Igbo Presidency, if the Igbos support a Yoruba Presidency in 2023.
Only those who pour water Upfront, can expect to walk on wet ground
. - Yoruba Proverb.

A Power Rotation agreement can be signed with the Igbos.... the Yorubas have demonstrated over and over again, that they o honor such agreement.

1 Like

Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by One4me: 10:11pm On Sep 09, 2020
ludd2018:
Yorubas are very intelligent people with many professors and intellects but today cattle rearers are dictating for them because they allowed the hate for Igbos to becloud their sense of reasoning . Fulanis used them to conquer Nigeria . You continue to pursue igbos while fulanis continue to hold grip on Nigeria. SHAME

And who is dictating to Yiibos right now? COW-Angels, l guess. undecided grin grin
You Yiibos are a special breed of (humans)?. I think you guys and Trump come from the same lineage.
Dr. Fauci described him as someone with "Negative Value of Intelligence".
shocked grin grin

1 Like

Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by ORIAYO70(m): 11:05pm On Sep 09, 2020
[quote author=LaboPolitics post=93720611]

https://dailypost.ng/2020/08/27/2023-south-wests-stand-on-amotekun-could-cost-them-presidency-apc-chieftain-gololo/[/quote

Who president help...
On Amotekun we stand
Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by ledaman: 3:14pm On Sep 10, 2020
LaboPolitics:

By who? grin

Olodo rapata! You must be lover of fish head. grin
Cone head go and read and get informed!
Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by geosegun(m): 9:02pm On Sep 10, 2020
LaboPolitics:

Rubbish chest-beating ewedu gorillas.

Decide the fate Illorin Emirate first before beating your beating your chest like Simian apes.

You know nothing about history, so relating current political scenario to pre-civilisation historical events, is irrelevant.

I can as well ask you what your ancestors did to the Igalas that molested and raid your ancestors and turned your erosion ravaged lands to a landlock region. Not to even mention, the horrible effect of the recent 3 yrs civil war on you.

NB: I am.choosing my words carefully because of many lovely Igbo men and women, who do not subscribe to these unnecessary hatred.

No wonder your ego was battered and the resulting inferiority complex irredeemable.

You better stop the 'pull him down syndrome' attitude just because you are at the bottom of every stats in Nigeria...

Every Igbo person that has gone pass this hatred and inferiority complex, of yours, are the very successful ones. I have many as friends and I am proud of them. But for you. You may remain bitter, if you do not go into serious prayers and fasting. Your 'acute pull him down syndrome'. will not allow you to get what you desire. That is the law of nature.

You have acute "Da bi mo se da" syndrome. Unfortunately the acute syndrome is irredeemable unless you change your attitude. I pity your messed up life. Spits..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by Nobody: 2:54pm On Sep 11, 2020
ceaser:

I beg to differ. Yorubas have done well to move on away from the hurts and betrayals from their South Eastern brothers in the execution of the coup and even the civil war, to the effect that their properties were cared for and kept intact till their return after the war.

But a fact that has been established over the years is that the Igbos relish keeping malice as if they were the only saints in the war. They keep playing the victim up to this day. As if that was not enough, they looove to re-write history to suit their narratives and paint themselves in such saintly light.

Suffice it to say that this problem is mainly by the newer generation that did not witness the war; this is the generation that Nnamdi Kanu belong to and that is why it is so easy for him to insult and accuse the rest of the country without self-control. He declares renewed war with the Yorubas and twist the narratives of the war to his contemporary new gullibles who swallow all he dishes out unquestionably and without research. The elderly among the South East will tell the true picture of the story and will not be quick to beat the drums of war as you guys are won't to do.

Read this:

[b]My Rejoinder to Persistent Accusation Against the Yoruba by Our Igbo Brothers on a Pan-Nigerian Platform.

The answer to your question was that Igbo in cahoots with the North of the Nigeria country put Awolowo in prison, but Igbo became the greatest beneficiaries. I shall elaborate on that towards the end of this factual account of history.

Proverbially speaking, Igbo people will seldom appreciate you if they enter your house and you welcome them with your food and drinks. Their eyes will be on your wife too, and failing to offer her to them as well, would be seen as your unwillingness to appreciate their handsome selves who had cared to pay you a visit! That describes their attitude towards their best friends on earth: the Yoruba. Yes, Igbo people, sit down and survey your peregrinations across Nigeria and the world and you would find that Yoruba people are your best friends.

The Igbo/Yoruba dichotomy began with the false narrative of Chinua Achebe, which is their favourite account like the Cathecism, that Awolowo orchestrated "a daylight robbery" of Zik's "mandate" to be Premier of the Western Region in 1954.

Achebe said in his book "The Trouble With Nigeria" that he was a student at the University College, Ibadan, when the "daylight robbery" occured.

But what was the fact? It's worth repeating before the Igbo false accusers for the umpteenth time because their hearts seethe in that hatred borne of patent biased reportage of events that Awolowo usurped what was supposed to be an Igbo leadership mandate over Yorubaland and associated ethnic groups of the old Western Region.

Don't forget that the elections of 1954 was conducted by the British and it was six years away from independence. The fact of the matter was that neither Awolowo's Action Group nor Zik's NCNC had enough seats in the Western Region's Parliament in Ibadan to form a Government when the votes were counted and who won which seats became public knowledge. Both parties then had to resort to wooing candidates of the smaller parties like the Ibadan Peoples Party and Mabolaje Grand Alliance to form a coalition with them.

The Action Group, of course, went to work assiduously, promising the candidates cabinet positions. On the day the parliament was opened, the white governor of Western Region asked the parliamentarians to signify their affiliations for the records. That was how most of the smaller parties' candidates openly declared their alliance with the Action Group. That was how Awolowo became the Premier. Go to Federal Archives at the University of Ibadan. The election results and parliamentary hansards of the time are there in original forms.

But backtrack to recall that from 1951 to 1954, Awolowo was already a quasi-premier of the West with the title of "Leader of Government Busines". That's why in his autobiography he has a chapter titled "Eight Years of of Office". That is,1951 -1959. He was already a burgeoning legend among his people as a sterling performer. The Igbo had hoped to truncate our pace-setting advancement in education, rural development, industry etc, with Zik taking over from him. I'm sure most Igbo of this generation don't know Awolowo had led the West for about three years before ZIK sought to upstage him.

The lie that Chinua Achebe swallowed alongside his umunna who had converged around the parliament building in Ibadan wearing their ishiagu for the crowning of an Igbo King over Yoruba people was dished out by Zik. He lamented to the press outside the parliament building at the end of swearing in that he had been betrayed. That all those who teamed up with Awolowo were his political associates whose support he had taken for granted. He claimed they simply defected overnight and blamed it on cultic loyalty. Maybe they were Ogbonis. LOL.

Igbo people had to believe him then hook, line, and sinker. He was their political god just as Awolowo was to most Yoruba people.

But, no sir! Those coalition members won their seats on their own steam just as you, Zik, had won yours with Yoruba votes in Yorubaland. They had the freedom to associate with who they wanted. They opted for Awolowo and his Action Group not so much because they were even playing Yoruba ethnic card but because they had a deal! Politics is a game of interest. Chief Augustus Meredith Akinloye of the Ibadan People's Party, for instance, had been promised a cabinet position. Of course, he couldn't have been deceived because if that had happened he could defect and the Action Group ruling coalition would collapse. He became Minister of Agriculture, Western Region.

Meanwhile, Zik became the Leader of Opposition in the Western Region but he was soon pressed by his Igbo kinsmen to leave a region where he had won an election to represent Yoruba people for the Eastern Region where they went to lay the foundation of hatred and hostility between themselves and their minority compatriots of today's Southsouth zone by removing Prof. Eyo Ita, a NCNC leader in his own right, as Premier. The Igbo had majority seats anyway. Zik then became premier. A surrogate in the Eastern parliament vacated his own seat for him.

I return to my opening line. The real act of provocation, which could have led to attacks on Igbo in Yorubaland, were Yoruba not the hospitable and liberal people they are, and which set the stage for the collapse of the First Republic, was laid by the Igbo in cahoots with the north with which they had a ruling federal coalition in Lagos.

It was the NCNC/NPC coalition that framed up Awolowo in a phantom coup d'etat when they could no longer tolerate him as Leader of the Opposition at the Federal Parliament and, of course, to takeover his sphere of influence.

With Awolowo held in Calabar prison for no just cause, the Igbo quickly pressed for the issue of creation of new regions of which Awolowo was the chief advocate as laid out in his autobiography published in 1960 months to independence in October. But they only wanted the Midwest Region he had proposed. They didn't want the COR (Calabar, Ogoja, Rivers) region, equally in the proposal. That would have split their Eastern empire. And, of course, their senior northern partner wouldn't brook any suggestion of a Middle Belt region, also proposed by Awolowo.

Thus, we had a situation where the smallest region in the country was split, while the bigger ones were kept intact. The Igbo plot worked as planned. In August 1963, a second class Igbo (that's by Igbo standard) from Asaba, in the person of Chief Dennis Osadebey, an old boy of Zik's alma mater, the Hope Waddell Training Institute, Calabar, became Premier of the Midwest Region. Hurray, Igbo now had two premiers!

By that, it was believed Awolowo's sphere of influence had been diminished forever.

Then the Igbo went for the bigger goal. They wanted to upstage their Arewa partners from power. They then formed an alliance with the rump of the traumatised and divided Action Group of Awolowo. Earlier, in 1959, they had rejected the same alliance with Awolowo for Zik to be Prime Minister and Awolowo, Minister of Finance. They belatedly formed an NCNC/Action Group alliance known as the United Progressives Grand Alliance (UPGA) for them to control federal powers in addition to two regions.

D-Day was 30 December 1964 when the general elections were held. Meanwhile, the Arewa senior partners in the NPC had wizened up to the Igbo game and also formed an alliance with another faction of the Action Group led by Chief Akintola. They then had what was called the Nigerian National Alliance (NNA). They won! Chief Akintola, without Awolowo's support, had successfully launched a counter-coup on the Igbo splitting of the Western Region by aligning with the north. The ensuing cabinet produced only three Igbo as Federal Ministers as against seven Yoruba. The Igbos were Raymond Njoku, Jaja Wachukwu, and K.O. Mbadiwe. This development, northerners have quietly argued, was the beginning of the coup of 15 January 1966. It is argued that the Igbo political elites, who had lost out, instigated Igbo boys in the military to strike. And that was why no civilian or military casualties were recorded in the whole East during the coup. But Chief Akintola and his newfound northern partners were all eliminated.

I draw you back. You know Yoruba people fight on principles. They launched massive agitations against Akintola for selling out to the northerners. They were not appeased by seven cabinet positions that didn't have the blessings of Awolowo and his progressive lieutenants languishing unjustly in prison. Operation Wetie began in earnest, shaking Balewa in Lagos and Akintola in Ibadan. Somebody had put on the body form of my highly esteemed friend, Prof. Wole Soyinka, to attempt stoppage of the announcement of the election results at gunpoint at Radio House in Ibadan for which the real Soyinka (LOL) was tried and freed by Justice Kayode Eso. Go and read Justice Eso's memoirs titled THE MYSTERY GUN MAN.

Eventually, Aguiyi Ironsi came to power. Awolowo petitioned him for his release. He rebuffed him till northern troops removed him from power. Then Gowon released Awolowo and invited him to join his government and stabilised the country then careening into chaos.

Igbo declared secession. A civil war ensued. They lost. At the end, they picked their favourite scapegoat, Awolowo, for their defeat The accusations traversed the war operations to post-war settlement.

First, he betrayed them, having promised them that if they declared secession, Yoruba would follow. Ask yourself, on what grounds? An old man just out of prison! A civilian! To declare secession in confrontation with Gen. Gowon who had just pitied him and set him free! Something an Ironsi had refused to do! How does that add up? Well, since it's Awolowo who had prevented Igbo premiership of Yorubaland, it must add up.

Second, he starved them during the war. Of course, General Gowon must have been too naive as a British-trained military officer to understand the implications of giving an unimpeded corridor of food supply to enemy territory in war! Awolowo had to teach him that the food was being hijacked by the Biafran troops.

Third, and back to what prompted this recollections ab initio. The accusation of £20. Honest Igbo know the truth. First and foremost, records of Nigerian banks in the East had been destroyed during the war as banks were prime targets of unruly elements among combatants on both sides during the civil war. Hence, apart from their passbooks, most Igbo claiming they had money in the banks had no proof. Many had even lost their passbooks. It was an era when there were no computers to keep soft copies of records or backups. Everything was done manually and in hard copies.

It was a mark of the magnanimity of the Federal Government that it created a fund from which banks were to pay £20 each to any Igbo with some proof of bank account ownership. It was a blanket thing. Even if you had £1 balance in your account you would get it. But those who had proof, especially those in the West - Lagos, Ibadan, Abeokuta etc - where their banking records were intact, had their accounts reactivated.

If anything, the Igbo had, over the years, rendered evil as reward to the only ethnic group in Nigeria that had received them with open arms, including Zik, from the time this country was established till date. If anyone should be held back by the unkindness of old, it should be the Yoruba against the Igbo and not the other way round. It's the Yoruba, among whom Igbo have found accommodation and toleration more than anywhere else they had ever set their foot upon on earth, who should be talking of Igbo betrayal, Igbo unfriendliness, and Igbo selfishness.

But it's one of those ironies of life that the victim is made the accused by his traducers. The Yoruba cosmopolitan outlook and liberal-mindedness is what have kept Nigeria one till date. It's only the Yoruba who have never unleashed violence against other groups. Not that they are contented with their lot in Nigeria or because they're cowards. It's not just in their DNA to spill blood carelessly! The only times they've engaged in any major public disturbances that cost lives (their own lives) were mainly to protest oppression and injustice visited on them and it was limited only to their space. They never went after non-Yoruba as scapegoats. That was during Operation Wetie and Agbekoya Revolt in the 60s and June 12 demonstrations in the 90s.

Let us hope that one day, some sections of Nigeria won't have to look back and regret that they blew their goodwill with the Yoruba.

If you hear of anybody supporting Igbo presidency outside Igboland today, who is not Yoruba, please, tell me. The same thing applied to Igbo sympathisers during the civil war: the Wole Soyinkas, Tai Solarins, the Col. Victor Banjos, the Prof. Sam Alukos of this world etc. They were all Yoruba, and some of them got imprisoned for it like Wole Soyinka. Col. Banjo wasn't as lucky. He was rewarded with bullets!

And recall that Col. Adekunle Fajuyi had died alongside Gen. Ironsi in July 1967 when northern soldiers came for the latter in Ibadan because Fajuyi didn't want the impression to be created, as the northerners wanted it, that Ironsi's death was a Yoruba set up. He chose to be executed with his Igbo commander in-chief who wasn't gracious enough to release Awolowo, his fatherly kinsman, from prison when he had the power to do so! How common is such vicariousness?

The Yoruba are still open to forging a meaningful partnership with the Igbo to safeguard and promote a glorious future. I hope voices of historically false accusations would allow the detente to reach its denouement[/b]
You ended up writing trash! Did Awolowo not betray Zik with regard to the premiership of the Western Region? You don't even know that what lled to the feud between the King of Oyo and Bode Thomas, was because of the former's support for Zik which Awolowo didn't like.

Awolowo spoilt the minds of Yoruba NCNC supporters. This fracas culminated in Bode Thomas barking like a dog and dying mysteriously, since he insulted the king and the king cursed him and probably used juju on him.

You're a pathological liar! The coup was planned by both Yoruba and Igbo young military officers.

Since you said that Igbos, in cahoots with the North, put Awolowo in prison, did the Igbos cause the 1964 Western Regional election crisis between Awolowo and Akintola that led to the former's incarceration? The crisis also snowballed into the 1966 coup. Stop rewriting history.

Since Igbos can come to a stranger's house and take his wife, did the Igbos cause most Yoruba women to marry a lot, since they hardly stay with one man without divorcing him and getting married to another man? How many Igbos have taken Yoruba men's wives? You and the writer of that piece you posted are liars!

I don't need to reply to your sense.less tissues of lies here. Stop writing trash!
Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by geosegun(m): 8:12am On Sep 27, 2020
ceaser:

Read this:

It was a mark of the magnanimity of the Federal Government that it created a fund from which banks were to pay £20 each to any Igbo with some proof of bank account ownership. It was a blanket thing. Even if you had £1 balance in your account you would get it. But those who had proof, especially those in the West - Lagos, Ibadan, Abeokuta etc - where their banking records were intact, had their accounts reactivated.

Well detailed analysis. This is mostly true and most reasonable eastrrners know it.

1 Like

Re: Garus Gololo: South-West’s Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them 2023 Presidency by ceaser: 8:26am On Sep 27, 2020
geosegun:

Well detailed analysis. This is mostly true and most reasonable eastrrners know it.

Apparently they seem to disagree with your opinion, having created a more conducive "alternative reality" and alternative "truth" to the reality.

But honestly, don't they have a right to create the protective bubble of an alternative reality? Heck they do!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

NIGERIA-UAE-DEAL: We Have Our Lives Back, Say Nigerians In UAE / Omowunmi Akande's Fidau Prayer: Osinbajo, Tinubu, Ajimobi, Akeredolu / Governor Fintiri Vows To Demolish Houses Containing Looted Goods

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 203
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.